• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wii/Wii U

Zook

Perpetual Lazy Bum
Besides, I'm confident that at one point the 720 and PS4 will come in and literally leave the Wii-U in the dust the way that the Wii was left last gen.
I dunno, man. With graphics pretty much plateauing, the only really thing that they would be able to slap onto a new console right now is more horsepower, which would really bloat its costs. I can't picture them coming out with a new, affordable console that will make the Wii-U look like the modern day Wii in comparison in the near future.

Also, what was the reasoning behind adding one extra letter to the name of the console we currently have? I find it pretty hilarious how it's called the Wii-U and yet only one person gets to have the tablet controller lol
Maybe that's what the 'U' is about. Integrating 'You' into the game or something.

Thino

Smash Master
Those are numbers though. At least they make sense and they could probably be easily explained, but the Wii-U is supposed to have some sort of meaning to having that extra letter in there isn't it?
idk while Playstation has been pretty self explanatory , ever since "360" I cant find a sense to what they append to console names

same goes for Vita

Abel1994

Smash Lord
who cares about the 720 or ps4 and lets just wait it out because nintendo alwayse wins in the end.
The wii sold way more then both of them.
The handheld sold way more then the psp

PS4 will just be like $800+ when launch and xbox will be $500-$600

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings
idk while Playstation has been pretty self explanatory , ever since "360" I cant find a sense to what they append to console names

same goes for Vita
Maybe it's supposed to mean the revolution in gaming at the time of its release? Idk I was always under the impression that's what it meant. Either that, or they just wanted to make the console look cool with the number

And Vita is easy. Sony said in E3 that Vita is supposed to mean life, or in other words that they're hoping that the handheld injects some life into the series of consoles they have

@Zook, I dunno man, I say there's A LOT for improvement in the way of consoles. I mean, if you see a lot of games you're still not capable of seeing each little sweat bead drip off the person's nose right?

And eh, that would seem pretty hypocritical for the U in Wii-U to mean that. I mean Wii is supposed to mean that it's everybody who's playing together and teamwork and all that mushy crap but then the U makes it seem like you're the only one that matters. I'm pretty sure there has to be some other meaning besides that.

EDIT:

@Abel, the Wii sold more than the PS3 and the 360 this gen because it was teh cheaper alternative and casuals are always interested in motion controls and other gimmicky bullcrap, which also happen to be a large portion of gamers these days

Just because it sold more does not mean that the Wii is actually a good console, or at least better than the PS3 and 360

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
I highly doubt the jump into next-gen is going to feature graphics that are much better than what we have this gen. Nintendo chooses to avoid that strategy because they see it as a dead-end. I'm inclined to agree.

UberMario

Smash Master
Besides, I'm confident that at one point the 720 and PS4 will come in and literally leave the Wii-U in the dust the way that the Wii was left last gen.
Ironic that Nintendo left them in the dust when it came to sales.

Also, what was the reasoning behind adding one extra letter to the name of the console we currently have?
Magnavox Odyssey > Magnavox Odyssey²
Atari 2600 > Atari 5200
PlayStation > PlayStation 2 > PlayStation 3
Xbox > Xbox 360
Neo Geo > Neo Geo CD
TurboGrafx-16 > TurboGrafx-CD
WonderSwan > WonderSwan Color > SwanCrystal
NeoGeo Pocket > NeoGeo Pocket Color
Nintendo Entertainment System > Super Nintendo Entertainment System
Game Boy > Game boy Color > Game Boy Advance
DS > 3DS

Adding virtually nothing to a name is just something companies do, plus it is a new system.

I find it pretty hilarious how it's called the Wii-U and yet only one person gets to have the tablet controller lol
Wii get to play with the wiimotes, U get to use the tablet.

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings
Ironic that Nintendo left them in the dust when it came to sales.

Magnavox Odyssey > Magnavox Odyssey²
Atari 2600 > Atari 5200
PlayStation > PlayStation 2 > PlayStation 3
Xbox > Xbox 360
Neo Geo > Neo Geo CD
TurboGrafx-16 > TurboGrafx-CD
WonderSwan > WonderSwan Color > SwanCrystal
NeoGeo Pocket > NeoGeo Pocket Color
Nintendo Entertainment System > Super Nintendo Entertainment System
Game Boy > Game boy Color > Game Boy Advance
DS > 3DS

Adding virtually nothing to a name is just something companies do, plus it is a new system.

Wii get to play with the wiimotes, U get to use the tablet.
But if you add a number it's either the number in the series or line, it actually has some sort of meaning, or it shows how powerful it is aka N64

if you add a word like "Color" or "Advance" to anything it just shows that it's the first to have color or it's simply the more powerful one. 3DS I'm pretty sure what it means since 3DS has 3D and DS is Dual Screens, and if you add CD to it then it means that it can play CDRom games

Although thanks for that clarification there. That right there sounds like one of the better definitions I've been given, but it really sounds hypocritical at the same time for Nintendo seeing as how they're for equality amongst gamers or whatever

And my gripe wasn't that companies just add random letters/numbers that make sense, it was that the Wii-U was just added a letter that barely seemed to make any sense

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Did anyone else think the wii-u was just a big new fancy controller for the wii when it was revealed? The trailer used all the wii accessories and they don't even show the system. Not to mention the games they showed were basically different versions of wii games already out

Bassoonist

Smash Master
NNID
WoodwindsRock
3DS FC
1032-1351-5240
Did anyone else think the wii-u was just a big new fancy controller for the wii when it was revealed? The trailer used all the wii accessories and they don't even show the system. Not to mention the games they showed were basically different versions of wii games already out
No, I never thought that. It was clearly a system. They didn't specifically show it off at the conference, but did it show up at all? I'm not sure, I'd have to rewatch it, it might have shown up somewhere even though we didn't see it.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
No, I never thought that. It was clearly a system. They didn't specifically show it off at the conference, but did it show up at all? I'm not sure, I'd have to rewatch it, it might have shown up somewhere even though we didn't see it.
I didn't see the whole thing, just the trailer on some web site. That's probably where my initial confusion came from.

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter
Also, what was the reasoning behind adding one extra letter to the name of the console we currently have? I find it pretty hilarious how it's called the Wii-U and yet only one person gets to have the tablet controller lol

It's funny how Nintendo uses pronouns to name it system, We, You?

You would think a giant corporate like Nintendo would think of something a little more sophisticated, what next after the Wii-U? Wii-U-I??

:phone:

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
Yeah, the first preview video they showed for Wii U was kinda confusing. But, anyone who watched the whole conference shouldn't have been confused because they referred to "the new system/console" plenty of times before unveiling it.

UberMario

Smash Master
I think that was purposeful. They were trying to avoid making it seem like a brand new system until the moment they showed the 3rd party lineup. (Presumably, they wanted to make the actual system a surprise by making the rumors appear to be false)

Bassoonist

Smash Master
NNID
WoodwindsRock
3DS FC
1032-1351-5240
It's funny how Nintendo uses pronouns to name it system, We, You?

You would think a giant corporate like Nintendo would think of something a little more sophisticated, what next after the Wii-U? Wii-U-I??

It will be a console made specifically for 3D and called the Wii3D.

I'm calling it now. The name and the letters rhyme, it would be perfect!

*I'm not being entirely serious here, by the way. I really hope that next time Nintendo goes a little more creative with their name. Hopefully the Wii U will change my perception of the "Wii" name, though.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
It will be a console made specifically for 3D and called the Wii3D.

I'm calling it now. The name and the letters rhyme, it would be perfect!

*I'm not being entirely serious here, by the way. I really hope that next time Nintendo goes a little more creative with their name. Hopefully the Wii U will change my perception of the "Wii" name, though.
How about Thwii-D?

UberMario

Smash Master
After the Wii-U, they will come out with one that has it's own Bose-quality, surround sound headset and will be named the Nintendo Siren. (Due to the hypnotically beautiful musical capabilties)

Get it? Wii-U? Siren?

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
I think that was purposeful. They were trying to avoid making it seem like a brand new system until the moment they showed the 3rd party lineup. (Presumably, they wanted to make the actual system a surprise by making the rumors appear to be false)
This wasn't the case. As said, they repeatedly referred to their new system as such before unveiling it.

Ecks

Smash Lord
From what I hear, this thing's packing a lot of power! I really want to see specs. :D

And the bird thing is just a tech demo. I wouldn't hold my breath for that. But I do want to see the video in full 1080p. That was gorgeous.

ZIO

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
You can't seem to argue with the ignorant.

I try to argue in favor for this WiiU, but they just don't want to give it a second thought.

They've already dismissed the console and all of its possibilities because they don't like how it looks and because of its name.

It's so sad.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
I think people just need to settle down. We got a long way to go before this thing hits the stores. I mean, there's gonna be more of it on Tokyo Game Show, and then next year at E3.

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter
Hey there, in case you're still wondering here are the Wii-U's specs:

Here's a useful article about it's controls:
http://m.ign.com/articles/1173582

e3 Nintendo said:
Wii U™
Launches:2012

Size:Approximately 1.8 inches tall, 6.8 inches wide and 10.5 inches long.

New Controller:The new controller incorporates a 6.2-inch, 16:9 touch screen and traditional button controls, including two analog Circle Pads. This combination removes the traditional barriers between games, players and the TV by creating a second window into the video game world. The rechargeable controller includes a Power button, Home button, +Control Pad, A/B/X/Y buttons, L/R buttons and ZL/ZR buttons. It includes a built-in accelerometer and gyroscope, rumble feature, camera, a microphone, stereo speakers, a sensor strip and a stylus.

Other Controls:Up to four Wii Remote™ (or Wii Remote Plus) controllers can be connected at once. The new console supports all Wii™ controllers and input devices, including the Nunchuk™ controller, Classic ControllerTM, Classic Controller ProTM and Wii Balance Board™.

Media:A single self-loading media bay will play 12-centimeter proprietary high-density optical discs for the new console, as well as 12-centimeter Wii optical discs.

Video Output:Supports 1080p, 1080i, 720p, 480p and 480i. Compatible cables include HDMI, component, S-video and composite.

Audio Output:Uses AV Multi Out connector. Six-channel PCM linear output through HDMI.

Storage:The console will have internal flash memory, as well as the option to expand its memory using either an SD memory card or an external USB hard disk drive.

CPU:IBM Power®-based multi-core microprocessor.

GPU:AMD Radeon™-based High Definition GPU.Other:Four USB 2.0 connector slots are included. The new console is backward compatible with Wii games and Wii accessories.
as far as the price goes, I'm not too worried, it will maybe range from $350 to $500

Ecks

Smash Lord
Thanks a lot. I wanted to know about the CPU and GPU since I've been hearing many rumors.

UberMario

Smash Master
That should keep the prices pretty reasonable. Consoles will pretty much plateau in the next few generations once the systems are powerful enough to have detail and the ability to cast natural lighting simultaneously.

Thino

Smash Master
like I said in a post in the SSBWiiU thread , theres still a risk that the console isnt exploited to its maximum capabilities regardless of how much more powerful it is from PS3 , actually PS3 had that very fate lol

so indeed lets wait to see games and how they run

Top Bottom