• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wii/Wii U

F8AL

Banned via Warnings
This is great news, I'm sure Nintendo already knew that everyone hates FCs with a passion. Good job Nintendo! :)

EDIT: I mean, they're only 6 years late, but better late, than never, right?

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Why should we be saying "Good Job" Nintendo to something that everyone criticized and didn't want from day 1? We've been putting up with this garbage for a long time.

More like "About damn time".

ZIO

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Never got online to play - Friend codes didn't bother me.

You people complain too much.

UberMario

Smash Master
It makes sense, actually. Wirelessly streaming video and such seems like it would be hard to do for more than 1 controller.
Processing-wise, it really shouldn't. It's not like it's rendering 4 independent games at the same time, it should easily be able to allow all players to use them.

D

Deleted member

The console shows off a lot of promise, although the messy E3 presentation didn't exactly show off it's promise. I have a lot of hopes for the system and I'm sure it'll be a good console, but to be a great console, Nintendo must remain committed to the core gamers throughout it's entire lifespan and keep it's promise.

One thing I do worry about is the one Wii-U controller at a time. This issue really does bother me a lot as it hurt local multi-player very seriously if not almost destroys it. I'm hoping that the rumor is false and we get at least two at a time. Better online multi-player is great, but should not be in expense of local multi-player.

@F8AL: Thank you for reporting this amazing news of no more FC. There was nothing good about that, thought it does contradict that fact that the 3DS still has FC's. That said, would hate to pay online.

@SupaSairento27: I think it's a given that we'll see USB ports on the Wii-U. Not sure why we wouldn't.

Atlus8

Smash Master
The only beef I have with the WiiU is the controller! How much abuse can that thing take?! And I'm guessing they are gonna retail for $79.99 so I think I'm gonna pass on Nintendo's console! (again)

D

Deleted member

The only beef I have with the WiiU is the controller! How much abuse can that thing take?! And I'm guessing they are gonna retail for $79.99 so I think I'm gonna pass on Nintendo's console! (again)
If you would read news regarding the Wii-U, you would know that they're not even letting you buy it off retails.

Kuraudo

4Aerith
NNID
Kuraudo
I've got a beef with the Wii U myself for one thing, of which I do hope they fix.

No ports for GameCube controllers. I know that may imply backwards compatibility for those games, but many Wii games DEPEND on the use of the GameCube controller; or at least highly suggest using it. Much like Super Smash Bros. Brawl or Sonic Colors to me.

I think it should be proposed to them, because to be fully backwards compatible to all Wii titles you shouldn't alienate any of the controller options as well.

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
^ I don't get what you're talking about. Buy it off retails...as in.. you can't buy the Wii-u from stores? O,.o

UberMario

Smash Master
No it isn't. Odds are, the rep made a mistake, since Nintendo is not confirming or denying it themselves. Besides, why would so many 3rd parties herald the new controller's innovation if only one can play at a time?

Thino

Smash Master
if nintendo really plans on making a HD picture and sound,come on 4 of these screen at the same time , I hope for them they're not using bluetooth

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings
If they're not in retails that'd be the stupidest thing I've ever heard. If the controller isn't available in retail then what the **** do you do when your controller breaks?

And I honestly hope that the Wii-U gets at the least two controllers because then when I have someone over I know we'll be fighting over who gets to use the brand new controller that looks generally more exciting than the boring WiiMote + Nunchuk

And if I DO get the Wii-U, I'm honestly not looking forward to fighting over others fory right to it :/

:phone:

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter
I've got a beef with the Wii U myself for one thing, of which I do hope they fix.

No ports for GameCube controllers. I know that may imply backwards compatibility for those games, but many Wii games DEPEND on the use of the GameCube controller; or at least highly suggest using it. Much like Super Smash Bros. Brawl or Sonic Colors to me.

I think it should be proposed to them, because to be fully backwards compatible to all Wii titles you shouldn't alienate any of the controller options as well.
You almost sound like you avi..:bee:

sadly though, even if a game suggest the Gamecube controller over the Wii's, do you think Iwata even cares about it anymore? I doubt he does, but not to say that there isn't a possibility either.

Seeing that the GNC controller is technology that's over ten years old, I doubt Nintendo is looking that far back.

StriCNYN3

Smash Journeyman
I find it so ironic that they say Wii U "will be a unique experience for everyone" when there's only one controller per console.

I honestly think there was a mishap in information. If not, Nintendo made a really ******** *** decision.
No GC compatibility either? What else could this thing not do? Hopefully we could at least still use the controllers. Smash, or any fighter in that case won't be the same.

M@v

Subarashii!
People need to stop being salty about no gc support. Seriously what did you expect? Yes its a good controller, but the Gc is almost 10 years old now, and NO system has ever supported backwards compatability for more than 1 console previous.

Get used to the classic controller pro; its very similar to the gc controller minus the analog stick placements.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
Or get a huge email petition to Nintendo to get GC support or make USB GC controllers.

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter
People need to stop being salty about no gc support. Seriously what did you expect? Yes its a good controller, but the Gc is almost 10 years old now, and NO system has ever supported backwards compatability for more than 1 console previous.

Get used to the classic controller pro; its very similar to the gc controller minus the analog stick placements.
QFT!!

Too bad the scrub wave hasn't gotten this message yet.

StriCNYN3

Smash Journeyman
Lol no one's salty, just that it's disappointing that they announced a new Smash for Wii and we might be stuck with Wii motes. Sure, we can still use classic controllers, but Cube controllers are ideal for smash like arcade sticks are for SF.

Besides, since they still have Wii compatibility and some games offer you to play with both Wii motes or GC controllers like TVC and Sonic Colors, you'd think they at least still have a port for GC controllers. Then again, they've only said games can't work, nothing about controllers.

Thino

Smash Master
rumor says that the E3 prototypes don't have any cube controller or memory card port tho , but even if its the case I just think that we'll just have to either keep our Wiis for Brawl and Melee mainly , and other Wii games where GC controller is REALLY good like MKW, Sonic Colors... TvC id say Classic is better than GC controller for that

but yea the point is they're kinda screwing the supposedly "backward compatibility" cuz it will not be FULLY backward compatible without those

lets keep our Wiis guys

Pikaville

Pikaville returns 10 years later.
Never got online to play - Friend codes didn't bother me.

You people complain too much.
If you didn't have to deal with it then you will never understand.

It was REALLY annoying having to enter a new 12 digit code for every person and every game you wanted to play with them.

Also the Classic controller pro is a piece of ****.

F8AL

Banned via Warnings
@F8AL: Thank you for reporting this amazing news of no more FC. There was nothing good about that, thought it does contradict that fact that the 3DS still has FC's. That said, would hate to pay online.
Well, the 3DS did improve things by only having a universal FC. (But I still dislike that.)

I think the Wii U's online system will be similar to PSN and be free.

I don't see why the Wii U should be backwards compatible with the GCN. After all, everyone's dog and grandma already owns a Wii, if you want to play GCN games, play them on your Wii. (Unless you sell your Wii to get a Wii U, then you're in trouble.)

And the old PS3 models say 'hi'. (Certain ones, anyways.)

M@v

Subarashii!
I never got that. Why were SOME ps3s bc, not ALL. And on top of that, only SOME of the OLD ones were. Makes no sense at all.

finalark

SNORLAX
PS3 supports PS1 games. Then again, PlayStation controllers have basically been the same ever since the PS1 anyway.

Regardless, you can't expect Nintendo to support GC forever. I'm sure that we'll see GC games for download on the Wii U in the future, though.

I second this. The Classic Controller is great, although I say it has more in common with a PS controller than a GC controller.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
I guess I'll be fortunate enough to be quitting or not taking Smash seriously enough by the time the next one comes out. Might even skip the next Nintendo console, cause I'll be saving money for a PS4 or 720. Of course, if Nintendo makes it easy to install homebrew...well then.

Master Xanthan

Smash Champion
Well since Gamecube controllers won't be supported I had better buy some classic controller pro's. I honestly didn't expect them to support gamecube, most systems only have backwards compatibility with the previous generation, expecting the Wii U to be compatible with 2 previous generations is really just wishful thinking.

D

Deleted member

No it isn't. Odds are, the rep made a mistake, since Nintendo is not confirming or denying it themselves. Besides, why would so many 3rd parties herald the new controller's innovation if only one can play at a time?
Probably because Nintendo is focusing a lot more on online play this time around and I can guarantee you that most multi-player game developers care more about that then local multi-player game and it seems that even Nintendo is starting to follow this path. Or they care more about using it for single-player experiences, a la Batman: Arkham City.
Alright.

It had to be done.

http://www.petitiononline.com/gcofwiiu/petition.html

Lets see how many signatures we can round up. Send this to whatever other sites you please, I guess.

Maybe if we can get the internet riding this wave we can get enough support to get GC on this thing.
Unless you do everything in your power to send this petition to every forum, every gaming site, and every video site and try to reach as many people as possible, this has no chance of working. Even if you do try all that, the chances of Nintendo listening is very slim. And beside, it's not that big of a deal to drop Gamecube compatibility with the Wii-U.

UberMario

Smash Master
This is getting ridiculous with the Gamecube controllers. If you can't move from:

to

or

Then I don't know how most of you managed to get over the inclusion of two control sticks on the newer PS1 controller models or play on multiple systems.

Seriously, the Gamecube controller has been off the market for nearly half-of-a-decade already, support loss was going to happen eventually.

Thino

Smash Master
IMO the classic controller is fine.. at least for Smash

but even for other game that support both classic and GCN that I can think of

M@v

Subarashii!
I would switch to the classic pro for brawl tbh if I didn't have all the muscle memory for the gc controller already. The classic pro is really nice, and I got the gold one since I bought goldeneye :awesome:

What I do hope they do for wii U is release standalone classic pros so you dont have to lug the wiimote around too.

Top Bottom