• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wii/Wii U

M@v

Subarashii!
Its been around for a while. Goldeneye came with a special edition gold colored one. They took the classic controller, moved the two interior shoulder buttons to PS2 style, and added grips. Im pretty sure they sell grips you can snap on too if you only have an original classic controller.

It feels like a ps2/ps3 controller, but better. Its not hard to convert from a gc one as well.

Only thing i'd change would be to swap the left analog stick with the control pad, making it more gc style. Its still comfy to use though.

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter
Yes, by the looks of it, aside from the double analog sticks, I really can't see by people wouldn't be able to adjust, it's a minor difference and a great alternative if a GC model isn't supplied for Wii-U

:phone:

Pikaville

Pikaville returns 10 years later.
It's not hard to be better than a PS controller.

They are awful.

Also Luigitoilet, you would be surprised what an online petition can do.

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
All I can do is LOL at the people complaining over the lack of GC ports. Here we are 10 years later and the GC controller is still the greatest thing since sliced bread on these forums.

It's kinda sad really... Oh well.

SupaSairentoZ7℠

Smash Hero
I still got that older Wii classic remote and its good. The newer is still different but adaptable. I think people are worried they won't get used to the controls for certain games...say SSB?

finalark

SNORLAX
All I can do is LOL at the people complaining over the lack of GC ports. Here we are 10 years later and the GC controller is still the greatest thing since sliced bread on these forums.

It's kinda sad really... Oh well.
It's mostly because most people are used to playing Smash with a GC controller and god forbid something changes.

StriCNYN3

Smash Journeyman
Yes, by the looks of it, aside from the double analog sticks, I really can't see by people wouldn't be able to adjust, it's a minor difference and a great alternative if a GC model isn't supplied for Wii-U

Well, left handed people couldn't adjust to TP Wii, that's why the game's inverted and Link is right handed today =P

In all seriousness though, I don't like the CC and most melee and brawl players prefer the cube controller when playing smash.

I can see a lot of complaints happening when the new Smash game releases =/

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Competitive fighters still use arcade sticks...it's just what feels best with the game. Of course, to accept something else, you have to be willing to try it.

The classic pro controller looks like a good successor, but we still have a while to go. Too much speculation that Nintendo might not revamp the console's ports, or re-release GC controllers via usb.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Competitive fighters still use arcade sticks...it's just what feels best with the game. Of course, to accept something else, you have to be willing to try it.
To true. Of course, competitive fighting game players that didn't play in arcades had to adjust to sticks, and then you can argue for the other way around for console releases as sticks used to be stupid expensive back then.

F8AL

Banned via Warnings
Wii U currently only supports one WiiPad

http://www.joystiq.com/2011/06/09/wii-u-currently-only-supports-one-wiipad/

Miyamoto told GamePro that the Wii U will only support one WiiPad, explaining that if the company had wanted to do multiple touchscreens it would have found a way to let players use 3DS systems with the new console.

Miyamoto didn't rule out the possibility of letting you take your WiiPad to a friends house and linking up play somehow, but it doesn't seem to be actively in the works at the moment.

SuperBowser

Smash Lord
I really like the new controller. I think it can make some really great, interesting and original co-operative online experiences. However, I'm not so sold on everything else:

- I dislike the limitation of one controller per console. It's just bad. And why can't somebody get the same experience from a Playstation?
- We still don't know how much more powerful this console will be compared to PS3 and XBOX360. If the graphics are only marginally improved and the price is high, will consumers feel they get value?
- Online information lacking. Clearly Nintendo are still working on it, but I really do hope the online system is respectable this time around.

I'm buying the console regardless for Mario Kart and Smash. However, I think these other aspects are going to influence other's purchasing decisions.

UberMario

Smash Master
I really hope that changes by the release date. :(

There better be at least a screenless substitute for multiplayer action, but it still would be better for it to use multiple tablets.

Hopefully the criticism from several of the sites will convince them otherwise. It's not like they'd have to completely revamp it to make it work.

Bowser King

Have It Your Way
Agreed. Maybe make it so only 1 tablet can stream the game at one time but at least allow the other controllers to use the touch screen.

D

Deleted member

This is seriously going to hurt Nintendo's chance of recapturing the core gamers. Honestly, if not for Smash 4, I would be questioning if I would even get the console, as others have said, this is beyond pathetic. I hope no one defends this decision.

F8AL

Banned via Warnings
Please remember that things can change before the console is actually released. I think the Wii U may be delayed to 2013.

UberMario

Smash Master
Please remember that things can change before the console is actually released. I think the Wii U may be delayed to 2013.
I still think that it will come out in 2012, but I'd happily wait another year if that meant multi-tablet action. Either this new generation or the next is going to slow down to 10 year increments (due to the lack of substantial graphical improvement). So it's best for them to have something that can bear the burden for that long, rather than having a one-player gimmick.

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter
A guess on the release date?! Sometime in the holidays in 2012! Since the next smash game has yet to get started in development, I'm gonna say holidays 2013!
Well just because Smash 4 is in production, that doesn't mean that the Wii-U will be delayed as well, the smash community might have to wait a couple of months, if not a year after the Wii-U's launch.

Unless Iwata and Sakurai agreednupon this, I doubt the Wii-U will be set back further than it has to, not to mention angry gamers.

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
So I just watched the tech demos, is that a new Zelda for Wii-U already?

Also, the Wii-u looks amazing. I don't know what people are talking about. A bad presentation ,but still. Make a good non-tablet controller for multiplayer/other reasons, give it a good SDD [up to 2 terabytes??, that > hdd imo], and this thing will be a beast.

>.>; Not to mention all the support Nintendo is trying to get from this thing, and the games 3DS is getting.

Don't get me wrong, Sony easily won E3, as they presentation sucked behind this. I'm just saying this thing looks awesome, and next yearis going to rock.

finalark

SNORLAX
So I just watched the tech demos, is that a new Zelda for Wii-U already?
No, its just a tech demo to show off the Wii U's graphical power.

Also, the Wii-u looks amazing. I don't know what people are talking about. A bad presentation ,but still. Make a good non-tablet controller for multiplayer/other reasons, give it a good SDD [up to 2 terabytes??, that > hdd imo], and this thing will be a beast.
I would much rather Nintendo went with a standard controller again rather than another gimmick like they did with the Wii.

>.>; Not to mention all the support Nintendo is trying to get from this thing, and the games 3DS is getting.
No doubt that the Wii U is getting a solid amount of support, but I am really not impressed with anything that they've done with the 3DS.

Don't get me wrong, Sony easily won E3, as they presentation sucked behind this. I'm just saying this thing looks awesome, and next year is going to rock.
Sony did awesome at E3. I'm pretty much sold on the Vita. My biggest gripe with Nintendo is that their presentation for the Wii U was not only confusing but also very underwhelming and left me more skeptical rather than excited.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
I'm surprised about so many people complaining that it'll only work with one tablet. If they had it working with multiple tablets, you all would be complaining about having to buy 4 tablets for multiplayer.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
i've always held a smart philosophy with my friends. If you want to play multiplayer with me on my ps3...buy or split with another friend on a controller. I ain't spending 50 bucks so YOU can play.

M@v

Subarashii!
I'm surprised about so many people complaining that it'll only work with one tablet. If they had it working with multiple tablets, you all would be complaining about having to buy 4 tablets for multiplayer.
I wouldn't. I'd probably buy 1 extra tablet, and use wii controlllers for 3 and 4 unless friends brought their own tablets.

*Tyson*

Smash Ace
Not even giving the option to buy extra tablets makes no sense to me. Even if it was really expensive, there is no reason not to at least offer it for the people that are willing to shell out the money.

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
No, its just a tech demo to show off the Wii U's graphical power.

I would much rather Nintendo went with a standard controller again rather than another gimmick like they did with the Wii.

No doubt that the Wii U is getting a solid amount of support, but I am really not impressed with anything that they've done with the 3DS.

Sony did awesome at E3. I'm pretty much sold on the Vita. My biggest gripe with Nintendo is that their presentation for the Wii U was not only confusing but also very underwhelming and left me more skeptical rather than excited.
Well, I have a hunch the tablet won't be the only controller, just saying.

As for 3DS, owning one I can say it's quite awesome. All the stuff it does is pretty fun, like I spent hours messing with AR, lol.

The only problem is games, but that is being fixed very soon. So hyped for OoT 3DS ;)

*Tyson*

Smash Ace
What would you use it for? A show piece? It can only support 1 at the moment anyway.
Well it was stated they are looking into other options. It's not like everything is final. There is no reason in the world you should not be able to buy one if the possibility of your friend bringing his over is going to happen.

June 19th, 2011 for NA.

Please use Wikipedia/Google before asking such simple questions in the future, thanks.
Sure it was a simple question, but it didn't hurt anything/anyone by asking it.

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings
June 19th, 2011 for NA.

Please use Wikipedia/Google before asking such simple questions in the future, thanks.
I find it pretty funny that every time a mod talks like this it sounds like they're giving an automated message lol

Also, yeah I don't think I'm getting this unless Smash 4 ends up not sucking **** or if they really fix everything that seems to be wrong with that system.

Besides, I'm confident that at one point the 720 and PS4 will come in and literally leave the Wii-U in the dust the way that the Wii was left last gen.

Also, what was the reasoning behind adding one extra letter to the name of the console we currently have? I find it pretty hilarious how it's called the Wii-U and yet only one person gets to have the tablet controller lol

Abel1994

Smash Lord
I find it pretty funny that every time a mod talks like this it sounds like they're giving an automated message lol

Also, yeah I don't think I'm getting this unless Smash 4 ends up not sucking **** or if they really fix everything that seems to be wrong with that system.

Besides, I'm confident that at one point the 720 and PS4 will come in and literally leave the Wii-U in the dust the way that the Wii was left last gen.

Also, what was the reasoning behind adding one extra letter to the name of the console we currently have? I find it pretty hilarious how it's called the Wii-U and yet only one person gets to have the tablet controller lol
PlayStation 1,2,3

Top Bottom