• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why you DONT main Meta Knight

CometStar

Smash Apprentice
I chose not to main Mk because playing low tier gives me an added challenge. It gives me gratification in winning with a character considered at a disadvantage.

I will admit though, MK is fun to play as on occasion.

Darth JoBak

Smash Apprentice
because the banhammer of ultimate bannination will ultimately fall if brawl is to remain a competitive video game

Crizthakidd

Smash Champion
lets say u go into a knife fight, but guns are alowwed. everyone picks the pocket knife because it takes skill to use.

i pick the gun and rapeee the whole place up, but theres that one guy whos so bloody good with the knife HE can beat me.

understand ? relate it to smash!

yamas11

Smash Cadet
lets say u go into a knife fight, but guns are alowwed. everyone picks the pocket knife because it takes skill to use.

i pick the gun and rapeee the whole place up, but theres that one guy whos so bloody good with the knife HE can beat me.

understand ? relate it to smash!
Meta Knight is the gun and everyone else is the knife? Meaning that guns should be banned for a knife fight?

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
I could never really get a feel for him. For me, he has no flow. It feels like he was made good through sheer force of will, and not through any kind of creative character design. Even Melee Sheik had a flow and cohesiveness to her. I felt like moves were meant to combo into each other. I don't feel like that with MK.

Zinc Elemental

Smash Journeyman
Why do you people care so much?

Seriously, so what if I like to win, so I play him. You like to live by some "honor code" you made up and you play your way. I like to live by my "win or lose" code and I'll play mine.

Does it make a difference if you played MK because you honestly liked him in Kirby, because you want to win, or because you like his style? Is there a difference between a MK that wins a tournament that played every Kirby game that somehow makes him/her better than the MK who picked MK up the day Tier List v1.0 came out?

People were talking about a MK has no right to complain etc etc etc if they lose. Neither does a Toon Link. Nor does a Zelda. Not even Captain Falcon. You chose your character. You know what you got yourself into, and its up to you to break down boundaries and set new standards. Seriously people. How about just offering a "good game" and realizing you couldn't win the matchup?

All this is coming down to is a bunch of judgmental people throwing opinions out of right vs wrong in a competitive scene. Let people do just that, compete. Strive to be better. Strive to top the best. There will always be MK players. There will always be more top tier players. There will always be those who support the little guy and strive to make him something. Many times that works out for the best, and until these whiny attitudes and need for justifications on why we do/don't play a character stop, the community isn't going to continue to evolve.

Can we please stop having RightvsWrong threads and continue having serious discussions over what makes a character top, what can be done to counteract it, and the actual severity of letting it go?
*Claps*
10wellputs

Rh1thmz

Smash Journeyman
I don't main him because Sakurai created him.
Lol fair enough. :ohwell:

You guys don't want to play MK. That's perfectly fine. I've been playing MK since day one. That's fine, too. What isn't fine is the fact that half of the first page of MK threads are about hating on MK and banning him and discussing his brokenness as opposed to purposeful topics that are seen on other boards. >.>

HolyKnight

Smash Journeyman
Lol fair enough. :ohwell:

You guys don't want to play MK. That's perfectly fine. I've been playing MK since day one. That's fine, too. What isn't fine is the fact that half of the first page of MK threads are about hating on MK and banning him and discussing his brokenness as opposed to purposeful topics that are seen on other boards. >.>
True statement is true.

Jim Morrison

Smash Authority
its not fun to play with him...because when you win with him it feels as if you didn't accomplish a thing...the same goes for when i use snake i get no feeling of accomplishment or fun...i can see the same in the face of my opponent...anyway MOST (thats a keyword i didn't say all) of the people who main him winning is everything to them...
exactly what i feel

8AngeL8

Smash Lord
At this point, I would vote for a presidential candidate who promised to make it illegal to put "Meta Knight", "Cheap" or "Ban" in the same sentence. Let it rest for a while, people. If we don't find a counter in six months, then we can talk bans.

Charizard92

Smash Champion
the reason why I didn't main meta knight is because the role of Main is already taken (Charizard fantic right here). I also Don't play many other characters often either, so I have one main (PT), a second (Lucario), and a whole list down to my least favorite (Peach). Meta Knight is ranked like 4 or something on my favorite list.

Crackle

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ZZZobac
People that are complaining about MK's broken-ness simply aren't beating MK players they know, or aren't being beaten when they use MK.

That is what provokes them to make such a thread.

Well I got news for you guys who post because of reasons like that, You and your Friends are simply not at the level of play that finds MK PREDICTABLE and therefore are not at a competitive enough esteem to criticize something like all the players of that character.

I myself have beaten the crap out of my MK wielding buddy all too often, as well as all the noob tournament goers that follow the tier list for their character choices. Frankly, if you're half decent with your character and you adapt to the situation, MK players usually are stuck on their "use this move now" mindset and therefore adapt slower. I know when I use MK I tend to pay less attention to the opponent because I'm too busy feeling quick and powerful, and it's quite hard to get past that feeling and actually WIN with MK.

Now I know the "Character Rankings List" by Ankoku says that MK is winning a lot, but I'm sure that a lot of indecent tournaments are held in which case the attendees are simply too stupid to deal with MK as a challenge. The fact that MK is on top of the list also promotes his use, and therefore accounted for the rise in his win-rate, a corrolation that came from the use-rate of MK steeply rising itself.

You can't simply assume things like "broken" and "winning rate" are a direct corrolation to each other, especially when you can hardly prove he's broken. So he has a couple moves with little to no lag, well the fact that MK players often can't camp and have to attack you - coupled with the fact that MK has weak horizontal movement - means you can simply control and predict the distance between MK and when it will be closed. Thus, when you see an attack coming, since your air dodging and shielding capabilities in Brawl are quite unlimited, simply USE THEM.

Asides from that, MK's don't have a chain grab, don't have any camping ability, and have moves like the tornado that can be simply shielded and responded to . Sure the Up-b is great and all, but if you understand it's best times-of-use it is no match for sheer paying attention.

So know your character, beat some MK's, and THEN start whining about a broken character.

I don't even main the character but I've tried, and it's actually more of a pain to win with MK than most would think when you're playing decent players.

Edit: Also, M2K's use of MK has quite sparked the use of MK itself. That also accounts for the fact that people may be either seeing the pattern (M2K marth winning, now M2K meta knight winning, perhaps I should copy him!?), or simply aspiring to be like M2K. Either way, I think that tier lists and M2K (as well as other great MK players, let's not forget omni, dojo, and all the others) are the reason people use and win with MK so much.

Loads of people learned from M2K's Marth tactics, and now they're doing the same with MK. But this time, it's early on, so therefore the trend has set and moved much faster than it has before, not allowing for other character development. If we give it time, and start using mains that WE ARE COMFORTABLE WITH rather than the ones that appear to be "top-tier forever", things will probably balance out.

Let's not just assume MK is broken because he's winning tournaments, let's assume the popularity is a main factor of his win-rate. For all we know MK players are only winning 1/1000 times but there just happens to be 1000 times as many players who use him as opposed to other characters.

Edit 2: Sorry it's such a rant

Mazaloth

Smash Ace
Personally, for me. It is just too easy, and I don't feel right about using MK against easy gimped characters like Mario, or TL.
It just seems mean.
And plus... Marth is over 9000.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
When the game first came out, he was one of my secondaries (Altogether, I played Mario, Ness, Wario, Lucario,and Metaknight.) After a week of playing, I dropped Lucario because I couldn't get a good grasp of his playstyle. Then after about a month,, I dropped Metaknight because he was just too easy to play/win with and I didn't feel like I was accomplishing anything with him. When I dropped him, I picked up Fox and the Ice Climbers and then, a month later, I picked up King Dedede because I saw them as more challenging characters to use (espeically the Ice Climbers). In late July, I just got fed up with having to deal with Metaknight and Snake so I decided just to pick up everyone else in the cast and work with them to help find counter strategies against them and to expand my knowledge of the game overall.

Top Bottom