• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why is Melee so fast?

azianraven

Smash Journeyman
Melee is a more fast-paced game compared to brawl and other fighters if that is what you mean.

Although the game's engine along with the ATs of the game allow the game to be played at a much faster pace than if a random person just picked up the game and played it normally, the game wasn't intended to be as fast as this where multiple actions by the player can be conducted in less than a second. Often times, casual players of Melee who first watch competitive gameplay think the game is played in lightning melee.

The game wasn't intended to be as fast-paced or developed as it is, but it's definitely alot more fun. At least to the majority of the smash community.

Rappster

Smash Ace
Its just like pingpong. you're limited by the size of the table and the size of the ball, so you have to beat ppl by playing faster then them

derfleurer

Smash Journeyman
The running speeds, falling speeds, sensitive controls, etc. were heavily criticized by the casual gaming community. While it was a considerable expansion on SSB64 (the previous smash game), it was just "too hard to pick up." Sakurai made sure that Brawl would appeal to a more casual community by slowing it down, reducing hitstun, creating larger stages, etc. etc.

Watch the "Perfect Control" video on youtube. Not only is Melee "fast," but it's faster than we could ever play it. =p

LLDL

Smash Hero
Faster can be better. But it doesn't nessecarily have to be fast. You can play it at a slower pace if you want. Smash 64 can also be played at a faster pace. Thats why I give HAL Laboratory credit for the first two games being good, and Sakurai no credit. Notice how when they (HAL laboratory) don't work on the third, it was terribly disfigured?

Rubyiris

Smash Hero
Faster can be better. But it doesn't nessecarily have to be fast. You can play it at a slower pace if you want. Smash 64 can also be played at a faster pace. Thats why I give HAL Laboratory credit for the first two games being good, and Sakurai no credit. Notice how when they (HAL laboratory) don't work on the third, it was terribly disfigured?
HAL is one of the greatest game developers of all time.

edgeluca

Smash Lord
NNID
Edgeluca
3DS FC
2879-0257-1267
It's faster than brawl in general, but when you see 'pro' melee matches, they're very fast-paced because many melee players play very quick.

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
The running speeds, falling speeds, sensitive controls, etc. were heavily criticized by the casual gaming community. While it was a considerable expansion on SSB64 (the previous smash game), it was just "too hard to pick up." Sakurai made sure that Brawl would appeal to a more casual community by slowing it down, reducing hitstun, creating larger stages, etc. etc.

Watch the "Perfect Control" video on youtube. Not only is Melee "fast," but it's faster than we could ever play it. =p
It makes you wonder if the programmers intended Melee to be as fast as it is. ^_^

GunmasterLombardi

Smash Champion
Because Chuck Norris said so.:)

In all honesty though, I don't see Melee as a "classic game" because of what it's made of. Smash 64 may of had more simple gameplay and less graphic appeal, but it made me grow an attachment to Smash more than Melee or Brawl. And then there's Brawl...it's kinda inbetween it's predicessors, yet it's the Smash Bros. that's up to date. I'll always see that one as a classic game, mainly because I Falcon Punch MKs before I turn the game off. :D

0^2

Smash Cadet
Yes, Fox and Falco drop like rocks.

The game was just designed to be more faster than the other two Smash Bros. games. Maybe they felt like changing up the pace a bit when designing Melee.

kupo15

Smash Hero
Wow, I never thought about that. So HAL did the first two and Sora did the 3rd? No HAL is in Brawl? I'm looking at the cover and I see HAL's logo and Trademark so I'm confused

OFY

Sonic main since 08'
Wow, I never thought about that. So HAL did the first two and Sora did the 3rd? No HAL is in Brawl? I'm looking at the cover and I see HAL's logo and Trademark so I'm confused
Sakurai left HAL before the development of Brawl began

kupo15

Smash Hero
Sakurai left HAL before the development of Brawl began
I see, which implies that HAL had no part in the dev. of Brawl. So I assume the HAL logo is there to credit them for the concept of the game itself. So what should I be looking for in the next Smash game that tells me whether or not HAL is Dev. instead of Sakurai's deviant team of crack heads? Seeing how the HAL trademark deceived me on the game, I'm not sure what to look for.

DJRome

Smash Hero
it's not fast by nature. it's faster, but the fact that it has potential to be fast makes it better because there is a higher limit. i don't see why the picking up of the game is relevant because people who pick it up will not be playing pros anyways. most of the time, you're going to be playing with people of your level at any point. it's like any good game that gives a huge advantage to those who know timing and tricks. see rts like starcraft. you can play it slowly, but if you can time things right, there seems to the average player that things move at lightning speed. you can't discount skill and knowledge and chalk it up as a flaw in the game

kupo15

Smash Hero
Just wiki'ed and saw that Sora replaced HAL like you said. I just thought of something. What are the chances that HAL will return as the dev. of the next smash game? Who owns the rights to the game? Sakurai or HAL? If HAL devs. the next smash, then that most likely means that there will be a new designer (Sakurai) since he left the company unless he returns which I don't see that happening. Come to think about it, I'm not too sure on the differences between dev. and designer. If Sora dev. brawl, then what duties do Sakurai have since he already designed the game in 64? This is what I assume "designer" means.

Going to do some research.

LoganW

Smash Journeyman
it looks even faster because u play that abomination of smash we know as brawl

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
because In Melee And In Life Their Is No Limit
. .

and kupo, i'm pretty sure nintendo owns rights to the game series. iirc hal was just a branch of nintendo/owned by nintendo. in any case nintendo owns rights to all the characters, besides a few in brawl (which are licensed and could be licensed again)

LLDL

Smash Hero
Thats because HAL still owns certain aspects of smash. None of them actually worked on the game. The next smash game, (which won't happen because Nintendo president said he would not make a new one without Sakurai, which is why Brawl happend) would have potentially been developed by HAL. But we will not see a new smash. Melee is the last smash game :)

CRASHiC

Smash Hero
(which won't happen because Nintendo president said he would not make a new one without Sakurai, which is why Brawl happend) would have potentially been developed by HAL. But we will not see a new smash. Melee is the last smash game
Err. . . you do know Sakurai just opened up a new studio, where he says he is working on something 'big' for 'the competative gamer' right? If we believe the Wii 2 rumors for 2011, it is very well possible that this is Smash Brothers 4, considering the size of the team and the massive amount of top talent he has got for the project, which would have no purpose for any game he could be making outside of Smash Brothers, because its certinally not a Kirby game.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Masahiro_Sakurai#Games_designed
He only designs Nintendo games mind you, and what game would be for a competative gamer other than Smashbrothers? Mario Party?

LLDL

Smash Hero
Err. . . you do know Sakurai just opened up a new studio, where he says he is working on something 'big' for 'the competative gamer' right? If we believe the Wii 2 rumors for 2011, it is very well possible that this is Smash Brothers 4, considering the size of the team and the massive amount of top talent he has got for the project, which would have no purpose for any game he could be making outside of Smash Brothers, because its certinally not a Kirby game.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Masahiro_Sakurai#Games_designed
He only designs Nintendo games mind you, and what game would be for a competative gamer other than Smashbrothers? Mario Party?
Not very likely in the slightest. Nintendo owns the right to the smash bros series. Sora will not be able to publish ssb by themselves. Sakurai said that SSBB would be the LAST game in the series that he works on, and that he would NOT work on another one. The president said he would NOT publish another smash bros game without Sakurai. Unless both of them change their mind, there won't be anymore smash bros until Nintendo sells the rights to the series. Not anytime soon, no way.

CRASHiC

Smash Hero
But all of his game's have been published by Nintendo. Why would he stop making games for them as a 2nd party now?
He has opened up a huge studio with talent that he can in no way afford, so he clearly has a large backer.
People claim, This is the last, all the time.
Smashbrothers is by far his most successful series, and Nintendos. There is no way they are going to just forget about the Smash Brother series.
Oh, and only one of them has to change their mind.

LLDL

Smash Hero
You're forgetting that Brawl just came out last year. Melee did fine during its life span and was still selling copies after year 6. With the success of the Wii, they have no need to continue in the next decade rofl. This isn't madden people. This is Nintendo's marketing strategy, don't release another game until sales start to decline or stop from the last mainstream title.

LLDL

Smash Hero
DSi?
Pokemon?
The Dsi is a different story because they needed a console that they could release updates for so that they could crack down on DS game piracy.

You're right about pokemon, but such is the nature of those games. Each game is like an expansion to the last. They arne't stand alone games like smash bros.

But think about their top 3?

Zelda
Mario
Metroid

The mario sports games don't count. The mainstream titles always have a decline or a stop in sales before you even hear about the next title. Mario galaxy and twilight princess have been in a slump for a while. And what do you know? They announced MG2 and another zelda.
I'm not saying another smash bros is impossible. However I can tell you that we will not hear of one until brawl sales are low which will be a while from now, because Brawl acts as one of Nintendo's main stream products.

CRASHiC

Smash Hero
Sooo. . . the fact that they are releasing 2 Mario games within a year of each other doesn't mean anything? Nintendo games are always in progress. You are right that we won't hear about one for a while, because that generally makes the community very, very angry. Take the Blazblue update, to those who are new to competitive video games, they don't understand why the game has only been out for 3 months in the US and already they have announced a sequel.
Nintendo seems to have decided that when a new console is going to be announced, so should a new Smash brothers, similar to when a new hand held is announced, so should a new pokemon game. Brawl was announced when we hadn't even seen the Wii yet.
Also, if we look at the world sales, the Wii has dropped its sales from taking up about half of the weekly consol sales to about 25%. Wii may very will see a new version in 2011, it could go either way really, and I still don't see what in the world he could be working on other than Smash Brothers. I mean, its not like we are going to get a 'hardcore' Kirby game, as fun as those are.

LoganW

Smash Journeyman
But Ashley is going to be in the next one.
:(

/joke

It is relatively faster than brawl.
It looks faster.

It just looks faster.
Subjective info. Shoot me. :p
from wario ware cause that would be cool:). I'm just saying brawl was catered to the casual gamer and it's significantly slower. I hope they add geno and restore jigglypuff to waht she once was

GunmasterLombardi

Smash Champion
i dont want to see how much easier they make the next game
It's partly the community's fault if you think Brawl failed. Ppl (scrubs) complained that Melee was too fast.
Sakurai said the speed of game would be "modified".
What he basically did was improve air combat (another thing that was asked from some random people). This explains the change in air dodging (bye bye wavedash) and less gravity.

Honestly, if you think it's that bad, then why don't you just make a request when another Smash is announced without bringing Melee up. Let me start it for you:

Dear Sakurai,

Fix the god**** airdodge and take out the mother******* tripping you ******** piece of ****.

Love, LoganW

Sakurai: Ignored. :)

Top Bottom