• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why Don't...

DEHF

Smash Champion
NNID
larrlurr
...Falco players use jab more? It's easily one of his best moves. A lot of Falco players laser way too much and jab once in a blue moon. I mean come on... it's 2 frames.

Discuss!

swordsaint

Smash Master
It's definitely something I've been working on. Every tournament that I jab a lot more in I am EXTREMELY successful. I think the biggest problem with learning to jab more is that people misjudge what moves are viable in certain situations (for instance thinking that a slower attack has enough time to hit in the enemies lag but doesn't).

Then there's also the fear of being DI'd.

That's not to say we shouldn't use it more, but it's definitely some of the reasons why we forget...nay, choose not to use it more.

Lasers: I personally feel that some Falco's (including myself, but I've been trying to make them have more purpose) laser more because, at their level it is viable. That is to say, in their country they aren't being put down for using lasers, instead it is working to their advantage. It's EASILY one of the biggest walls to getting better. Other players that they vs. on regular occasions aren't learning to beat their options quick enough, and so their growth as a player has slowed due to it.

DEHF

Smash Champion
NNID
larrlurr
Jab should almost never be use to punish attacks. There's almost always another move you could use to punish with.

Jab is a move that can create a good amount of space between you and your opponent. If used right it can shut down a lot of approaching options, plus it has a great mix up game when combined with grab.

Lasers are very vialble, but most players will miss out a better option they could've done from lasering too much.

swordsaint

Smash Master
Some fair and very good points. So I think in a way, you mean to say, laser slower so you can see more options? Rather than just outright saying 'laser less'.

Attila_

The artist formerly known as 'shmot'
BRoomer
hey question. is the third hit of falco's jab ever really useful? im finding people will sometimes sdi through and aerial... i generally try and cancel after the 1st or second hit and try to follow up...

swordsaint

Smash Master
People can smash DI the third hit attila, but you dont want to cancel the jab EVERY time, otherwise people will catch on. the third hit can do a bit of damage too, and as long as you cancel the 3rd hit asap after doing it (in other words, do as little as spinning as possible) and shield. You should shield most if not ALL DI options they have.

/isnt who you directed the question at though

attila you use msn?

DEHF

Smash Champion
NNID
larrlurr
The 3rd jab should be used more against bigger characters like DDD and Rob. As long as you use don't use it a lot vs other characters there's no reason not to throw it out every once in a while.

I guess laser slower is another way to put it Scott.

Attila_

The artist formerly known as 'shmot'
BRoomer
cool, ill mix up more.

diddy has no problems uairing before falco can shield, btw. that is, if he starts sdi-ing straight away.

MetalMusicMan

Sleepwalk our lives away.
Who doesn't love Falco's jab? :D

I jab all the time, I actually have to try to conciously jab less because I try to do it too often and get punished, lol.

I wasn't aware that Falco players ever didn't jab enough, that's a really unexpected issue, haha.

M@v

Subarashii!
Jab is the only move that comes close to lasers in terms of how much I use it,

**** rapid a

Jab cancel-> pretty much any ground move.

Jab after downthrow. Seriously use this people. Its guaranteed on a lot of people at mid percents.

Jab to break up attacks. Don't want to shield that (insert character) fsmash he's starting? Jab him as he starts it.

Jab as an edgeguard. Some people won't expect it and by the time they realized what happened, they will low enough to edgehog.

Tl:dr I <3 jab and it has countless uses

Blacknight99923

Smash Champion
I am pretty much siding falco now(I realized falco is a combination of my other 2 sides fox and snake). My opinion might not be as valid but I can safely say jab is one of your best options for controlling space right in front of you, almost any lag will be ***** by it.

M@v

Subarashii!
ahhh so thats why you suck. You get bored of using Falco's best moves.

Go fair more then I guess

I'm so mean =P

D1

Banned via Administration
...Falco players use jab more? It's easily one of his best moves. A lot of Falco players laser way too much and jab once in a blue moon. I mean come on... it's 2 frames.

Discuss!
Word, I think I jab too much.

I actually do get bored very easily of camping with ftilt/jab/lasers/phantasm etc D:
That's Brawl Falco for ya though, nothing too exciting in this game tbh. If you wanna be flashy you lose. Play boring and you win.

Thats Brawl in a nutshell.

#HBC | ZoZo

Shocodoro Blagshidect
That's Brawl Falco for ya though, nothing too exciting in this game tbh. If you wanna be flashy you lose. Play boring and you win.

Thats Brawl in a nutshell.
*sigh* I know, right?
If I'm losing it's either because I don't know the MU or I'm not jabbing enough lol.
Oh, and if you're having trouble with a MU, try to use more lasers, jab and ftilt.

Terra~

Smash Journeyman
Jab after downthrow. Seriously use this people. Its guaranteed on a lot of people at mid percents.

Jab to break up attacks. Don't want to shield that (insert character) fsmash he's starting? Jab him as he starts it.

Jab as an edgeguard. Some people won't expect it and by the time they realized what happened, they will low enough to edgehog.
YES! Jab is epic! Dthrow to Jab is just beautiful <3
I give my full approval to this thread. Moar Jab pl0x!

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
*sigh* I know, right?

Oh, and if you're having trouble with a MU, try to use more lasers, jab and ftilt.
Pretty much el oh el

also I like my little RJC usmash trick, it looks cool, throws the opponent off and doesn't afraid of spotdode or roll.

Yung Mei

Where all da hot anime moms at
i always use jabs in my setups

personal favorite is
Jab->Jab->Grab->Pummel->dThrow->dThrow->Gatling

easily anywhere from 30-45 percent

or dAir->Jab->Jab->Gatling

i despise using AAA combo though, it sucks IMO

and theres one more thing i hate - AAA->downB

its laggy as ****, and easily avoidable, and i dont see why some people would use it >.>

Typ_Ex

Smash Lord

personal favorite is
Jab->Jab->Grab->Pummel->dThrow->dThrow->Gatling

easily anywhere from 30-45 percent
i got a combo that may work better.

(Jab -> Jab optional) 5-7x down throw

Yung Mei

i got a combo that may work better.

(Jab -> Jab optional) 5-7x down throw
i know it works better, (obv.) but i prefer not to change grab. it makes the game ridiculously boring lol, i prefer to play aggresively

#HBC | ZoZo

Shocodoro Blagshidect
an AAA cancelled as soon as possible gives both players a 0 advantage. Often, people still try to punish it, in that case you can use another jab or downB. People prefer downB because of the amazing range and it's mad quick (~5 frames to reach where your opponent is after AAA)

Kitamerby

Smash Hero
I like to aggressively grab my opponent over and over again and then aggressively hit them with really really long range hitboxes.

Heck when they come close enough, I just use an attack to outright dash through them. If that's not aggressive, I don't know what is.

Yung Mei

wtf i just realized i used the wrong word on accident lol, i meant to say chain grab, i have no idea why i said change grab lol

DEHF

Smash Champion
NNID
larrlurr
i despise using AAA combo though, it sucks IMO

and theres one more thing i hate - AAA->downB

its laggy as ****, and easily avoidable, and i dont see why some people would use it >.>
Those combos are so good, I do them all the time. :psycho:

Ray Robo

Smash Ace
NNID
RayRobo
A frame 2 jab with good range and setups like Falco's should be abused a heck of a lot more. I use jab for spacing mostly and tilts for punishing. Although the jab can be SDI'd so I try to not get predictable with it.

kismet2

Smash Ace
Needz moar dash attack. But seriously this is a good move too but I see more Falco's rely on phantasm. Auto pilot ftw I suppose >_>

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
I spam jab like a mother****er, don't look at me.

GameStation aka C4?!

Smash Journeyman
I use Jab, alot.......... More so than anyone iv'e seen. I mean it's really effective short range spacing, which ****s people up if there doing a laggy move. Not even, Jab is awesome.

Top Bottom