• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why doesn't X pokemon get Y attack/ability/typing?

flyinfilipino

Smash Master
Gunk Shot in Japan is Dust Shoot, but the move description says the Pokemon throws garbage at the foe. The funny thing is, only Wormadam with the Trash Cloak is capable of learning the move. Also, all Pokemon based on monkeys can learn the move. Hmmm...:urg:

Extremespeed in Japan is Godspeed. I guess Ninjask isn't godly or mystical enough for it.

Golem the Stern Father

Smash Champion
TyfighterLAND. Location#2: Illinois? Yeah.
Gunk Shot in Japan is Dust Shoot, but the move description says the Pokemon throws garbage at the foe.
Why Mantine and Delibird can learn this move, and not Weezing, I will never know.

Extremespeed in Japan is Godspeed. I guess Ninjask isn't godly or mystical enough for it.
And Togekiss is?

flyinfilipino

Smash Master
Why Mantine and Delibird can learn this move, and not Weezing, I will never know.
Yeah, that is pretty bizarre. Mantine probably gets it because of its relation to Remoraid, who can learn the move and is known to shoot things, and Delibird can probably learn it because it can keep trash in its little tail bag.

And Togekiss is?
I think Togekiss does have a mystical quality about it. It's a little fairy bird that only appears during peaceful times. It has Serene Grace, which is known as Heavenly Blessing in Japan. It's also a god of hax.

Terywj [태리]

Charismatic Maknae~
Gunk Shot in Japan is Dust Shoot, but the move description says the Pokemon throws garbage at the foe. The funny thing is, only Wormadam with the Trash Cloak is capable of learning the move. Also, all Pokemon based on monkeys can learn the move. Hmmm...:urg:
I lol'd. Infernape included?

Togekiss is a fairy, so it makes sense.

verycoolguy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
CoolVCG
GameFreak needs to make Gunk Shot have higher accuracy, about 85%, or even 90%, or 100% for the hell of it. Since it's not hitting anything other than Grass for SE damage, it won't be that overpowered, and it's resisted by many types. They also gotta give it to more Poison types. Only four Poison types in total can learn the move, while sixteen non-poisons have access to it. This would be a decent way to buff Poison types in general, like Muk and Arbok. They should give it to Qwilfish, so he's even scarier as a Rain Dance sweeper.

Arcanine needs Earthquake, really badly. Electivire should get Wild Bolt and Swords Dance or Bulk Up in B/W. Marowak should have Head Smash. Rhyperior should have kept Rock Head over Lightningrod and have Head Smash. Zapdos should have Air Slash.

PowerBomb

Smash Master
Really?

I thought he always was forced to use Solid Rock... o_o

Replace Lightingrod with Rock Head, please.

Golem the Stern Father

Smash Champion
Don't use anime as a main source for pokemon logic.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Regjipg7Xec "Bulbasaur, use Whirlwind!"

As for why it doesn't get the move, I can't draw many conclusions. Most Psychic pokemon have access to it, and only a handfull of other types can. However, there doesn't seem to be any reason why Umbreon can't learn this move. If Sudowoodo and Corsola can learn Calm Mind, a somewhat calm and mystic dark type should be able to.

Golem the Stern Father

Smash Champion
Since Growlithe responded, it's nickname could be Arcanine, or it's another 4Kids screw-up.

We're here to discuss attacks and abilities, not stats. But to answer your question, possibly for balance? It did get a 40 base stat bonus in attack by evolving (45 to 85), and the 200 base defense kind of jumps out.

(personally, I think Breloom having 130 base attack is bull****)

Rykard

Smash Ace
why cant regigigas learn protect when all the other regi's can?

or would that make it too easy to burn off slow start turns?

EpicSandwich

Smash Rookie
well the way i see it to make any sense of it, despite pokemon not having any sense to it, is that regigigas is to slow (slow start) to be able to set up a protect quick enough. -.- but heck its pokemon and the reasoning why something that something that big cant protect itself is beyond me.

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings
Yeah, Regigigas stalling until Slow Start wares off could be a bit much, but we wouldn't know unless we hacked/experimented with it. It might be overpowering, might not, but GF had good reasons to decline it to learn Protect.

Why can't Vileplume learn Spore?
Hell, why can't Jumpluff learn Spore.

It'd be top dog if it could ditch Sleep Powder for Spore so I DON'T HAVE TO ****ING DEAL WITH SLEEP POWDER MISSES :mad:

PowerBomb

Smash Master
Same reason as to why every other Grass-type with Sleep Powder can't learn Spore.

I'm also assuming Gamefreak wants Spore to be fungus-Pokemon exclusive. Look at who learns it: Parasect, Paras, Shroomish, Breloom. They're all mushroomy, with the exception of Smeargle.

Terywj [태리]

Charismatic Maknae~
Yeah, Regigigas stalling until Slow Start wares off could be a bit much, but we wouldn't know unless we hacked/experimented with it. It might be overpowering, might not, but GF had good reasons to decline it to learn Protect.

Why can't Vileplume learn Spore?
For our Pokemon Online server we can't edit abilities. Otherwise we'd try limiting the turns to 3 and see what happens.

Hell, why can't Jumpluff learn Spore.

It'd be top dog if it could ditch Sleep Powder for Spore so I DON'T HAVE TO ****ING DEAL WITH SLEEP POWDER MISSES :mad:
That's why we edited it in NU to OU.

Stun Spore, Spore, eh. Not worth it...

Why can't Stunky / Skuntank learn Sludge?
This was that weird thing where some Poison-types get Sludge but not Sludge Bomb and vice versa.

Top Bottom