• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why doesn't X pokemon get Y attack/ability/typing?

UberMario

Smash Master
Heat wave in Japanese is called hot wind, which is why birds get icy wind and heat wave.
Description for heat wave: "The user exhales a heated breath on the foe to attack. It may also leave the target with a burn".

Also, two instances of Heat Wave in the anime:

I'm pretty sure that confirms that the "breath" description is not a translation messup, at least in the anime Icy Wind was used both by flapping and exhaling.

M.K

Level 55
Are we really using the Anime as a source?
Well, then I'll cite Pokemon Battle Revolution!
Honchkrow, Pidgeot, and numerous other Flying-types flap their wings to initiate a Heat Wave.

You're also forgetting that the ENGLISH translation matches the ENGLISH "Wave" ending of the move.
The JAPANESE description of the move may reflect the JAPANESE "Wind" ending of the move.

UberMario

Smash Master
More of a confirmation than a source, Icy Wind's description doesn't directly specify how it is initiated, whereas Heat Wave does in both the games and anime. (TBH Heatwave being a wind attack makes more sense than a breath attack anyway, just saying that Game Freak depicts it as the latter in the game descriptions for whatever reason.)

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
Well, then I'll cite Pokemon Battle Revolution!
Honchkrow, Pidgeot, and numerous other Flying-types flap their wings to initiate a Heat Wave.
PBR only has two attacking Animations per Pokemon, One for Physical and one special. Cept Lucario, who has 3.

That is their special attack animation.

You cannot cite something so broad.

M.K

Level 55
PBR only has two attacking Animations per Pokemon, One for Physical and one special. Cept Lucario, who has 3.

You cannot cite something so broad.
Sorta how the topic was how "Flying types" learn Heat Wave, and the evidence against it is two Fire-type Pokemon using their mouths to produce the heat?

Exactly. You cannot cite something that is irrelevant to the topic. Or better yet, you can, but it doesn't substantiate your argument.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
Protip: Heat Wave gets powered up in Sunny Day

:D

The reality: It's ****ing Pokemon, it's run by crazy Japanese people. It's not supposed to make mother****ing sense.

Alakazam used Iron Tail. /discussion

UberMario

Smash Master
Sorta how the topic was how "Flying types" learn Heat Wave, and the evidence against it is two Fire-type Pokemon using their mouths to produce the heat?
Actually, the evidence is the in-game description of how the attack is performed . . . . .

M.K

Level 55
Actually, the evidence is the in-game description of how the attack is performed . . . . .
You cite the English description, which is not a direct translation of the Japanese description, just as the name "Heat Wave" is not a direct translation of "Hot Wind".

Terywj [태리]

Charismatic Maknae~
In similarity to this I may be starting a thread where we have a spotlight on a retype of a Pokemon and how such changes would affect its niche, playstyle, the metagame, benefits vs. drawbacks, etc. After proper evaluation we'd move onto a different Pokemon. It would all be for theorymon, though. It has nothing to do with NU to OU or OU+.

RuNNing Riot

Smash Lord

Actually there's quite a few more than just Lucario who have third animations. And Lucario actually has four, btw. There's another one for Protect.

Jussayin'.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
Last time I read about it was when PBR was just released. Info must've been wrong then.

Sue me.

mood4food77

Smash Hero
i'm bringing it back

what if staraptor and aerodactyl switched abilities

like, aero got intimidate and staraptor got rock head?

they would both be better

Terywj [태리]

Charismatic Maknae~
Why doesn't Zuruzukin have SuckerPunch?
'Street thug' my a** :glare:
I believe Sucker Punch is "Surprise Attack" or something in Japanese, meaning it's for Pokemon who are sneaky and suspicious.

Then again, Zuruzukin would be way too legit if he had Sucker Punch.

xxmoosexx

Smash Lord
Like Omega said...WHY DID THEY GIVE INFERNAPE GRASS KNOT?? That thing single handedly made me rage quit on sight.

Why doesn't Machamp get Mach Punch?
Why doesn't Machamp get Falcon Pawnch? I mean he was the first cardyou got at the top of my starter pack. He was also fairly known as that one pokemon that will **** you up if you got near it before Roopushin came along.

Why doesn't Gyarados get Dragon typing? Like WTF. It has a plethora of dragon moves...its a chinese water dragon. Its mad ALL THE TIME. He scares you more than any other dragon. I mean for pete's sake. Dragonite? That thing looks like Pete's dragon. That thing wouldn't hurt a fly. Gyarados would **** the fly and its family.

I know it isn't exactly the correct idea of the thread but I had to post it somewhere.

mood4food77

Smash Hero
gyarados not being dragon type probably was for balance, they thought he would be too strong for it

and the other two i have no clue

Moozle

Smash Champion
I'd say Gyarados isn't a Dragon type because in the first gen Dragon was pretty much the legendary type. Dragonite was just way too mythical to share its status with magikarp. I feel like Gyarados is a mudblood.

xxmoosexx

Smash Lord
Magikarp is epic.

I mean come on. I think Dragonite is just as derp-ish as magikarp is.
Magikarp can sweep just as well as Dragonite can.

and Gyarados is just as legendary as Dragons were. In fact I think he is more legendary than Dragons were.

E123-omega

Smash Journeyman
I have always though of Gyra as a sea serpent rather than a dragon. However, there are many definitions of dragon, so that is why this subject is so easily debatable

xxmoosexx

Smash Lord
Hey tery. You mis-spelt opportunities in the Gyarados article. It is in the area where you say he would like more switch in opppppportunities.

I thought you'd like that fixed.

AND your article would totally make me happy.

And whats the joke behind having a 50% chance to 2HKO blissey? Other than that being stupid in the first place when you can have a 100% chance of beating blissey if you have pain split.

Terywj [태리]

Charismatic Maknae~
Hey tery. You mis-spelt opportunities in the Gyarados article. It is in the area where you say he would like more switch in opppppportunities.

I thought you'd like that fixed.

AND your article would totally make me happy.

And whats the joke behind having a 50% chance to 2HKO blissey? Other than that being stupid in the first place when you can have a 100% chance of beating blissey if you have pain split.
LOL nice eye there, Moose.

The odds of Focus Blast hitting twice in a row is a meager 49%.

E123-omega

Smash Journeyman
Nice article by the way, for of the suggestions, I strongly agreed, for others I strongly disagreed.

For porygon-z, I would rather have a Normal-Psychic type because, although PoryZ looks rather eerie, he looks a bit more omniscient like Alakazam.

Clownbot

Smash Lord
Alright, I don't know if it's been mentioned yet, but, uh... anyone else think it kind of weird Delibird doesn't learn Powder Snow?

kirbyraeg

Smash Hero
I think Pory-Z should be Dragon/Fire just because that would be ridiculous to have Adaptability on.

Oh, and get all the good Dragon/Fire moves. And V-Generate. And have a stat spread like Rayquaza.

xxmoosexx

Smash Lord
I think they should have made Porygon Z worthy of ubers honestly.

2D squares and planes create Porygon
3D spheres and curves create Porygon2
IDK WTF PorgyonZ is made of. I personally think the creators were going for a "transcendent" being that reaches into the 4th dimesnsion when they made PorgyonZ. In which case he shouldve gotten better speed. A ??? typing and STAB on Normal, Psychic, ???, and multitype moves such as Doom Desire and have his own signature move with ??? typing that isn't curse,(or whatever that move is). So its stats would look something like:
HP/95
Atk/100
Def/90
SpAtk/Googleplex
SpDef/167
Spe/All his moves have priority, he ****ing transcended this world what do you expect?

Thatd by PoryGodZ lol.

Why didn't GameFreak make PoryGodZ?

*yearns to make a Godzilla joke/reference, and would orgasm for someone to accomplish this feat*

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
Riddle told me to necro this thread

[9:24:22 PM] gdUayv: so we just figured out
[9:24:30 PM] gdUayv: pigeot flies at mach 2, right
[9:24:39 PM] gdUayv: and machamp punches 2000 times a second
[9:24:52 PM] gdUayv: machamp's punches are higher than mach 2
[9:24:55 PM] gdUayv: in terms of speed
[9:25:00 PM] gdUayv: but he doesn't learn mach punch
[9:25:14 PM] Fuelbi: Nintendo trollin
[9:26:15 PM] Riddle: GO POST IN THE WHY DOESN"T X POKEMON GET Y MOVE THREAD
Fuelbi

asianaussie

Smash Hero
If STAB Mach Punch was given to a Pokemon with that much attack it would be overwhelming for the metagame, right!?

> Conkeldurr
> Technician Breloom

nvm

Top Bottom