• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why do people NOW care about Roy and Mewtwo?

doomweasel

Smash Cadet
I always liked Roy. He was like Marth, but he sacrificed some strength for flashiness: it made him fun to play as a casual character.

ChronoPenguin

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4253-4494-4458
people always cared about mewtwo.

By that I meant many people thought "eh he kinda sucks...but hes cool".

Not only that, removing characters with unique movesets boggles the mind.

He had like 2 of the coolest specials in Melee, the flip and confusion....while they werent game breaking....they were cool.

Roy? Eh I dunno he was nothing really, people didn't care before, except casuals feeling he was stronger than marth.

Maybe its cuz Roys our boy.

Puffs

Smash Ace
You forget that Sakurai hates cool characters unless they're from Kirby or Star Fox.

colored blind

Smash Journeyman
I definitely didn't expect Mewtwo to be gone, especially now that they had a chance to make him the beast he was supposed to be. Plus, he had a really unique moveset.

As for Roy, he was different enough to be cared about. And again, they could have fixed him for the better in Brawl. Though, I'm not as sore about him exclusion as I am Mewtwo's.

Dr. Mario was too close to the original to be made a huge deal of in the transition, and Pichu's whole character basis was flawed (a weaker, lighter, slightly faster version of Pikachu who hurts himself!).

woopyfrood

Smash Lord
Nintendo will release a Brawl Channel if they see a market for it, and if they release an external hard-drive. They won't pass up millions more dollars.

If Mewtwo does not appear in DLC, then there is next to no hope that Mewtwo will appear in later Smash Games.

That is part of my crusade. Mewtwo must not be forgotten. GameFreak thinks it can get away with this just because the new toddlers on the block have never even heard of Mewtwo. Save for the few that played FireRed-LeafGreen, but gee, I guess they just don't count...

It's all clear now. The Mewtwo trophy was a last-minute effort by Sakurai to say sorry. It wasn't a cop-out. He had to listen to GameFreak's stupidity...and so all he could leave us with was a trophy...a polygon'd-up trophy...

Steelia

Smash Champion
Nintendo will release a Brawl Channel if they see a market for it, and if they release an external hard-drive. They won't pass up millions more dollars.

~~~

It's all clear now. The Mewtwo trophy was a last-minute effort by Sakurai to say sorry. It wasn't a cop-out. He had to listen to GameFreak's stupidity...and so all he could leave us with was a trophy...a polygon'd-up trophy...
1- ...Actually, I'll bet you they would pass something up like that. Nintendo prefers not to go the "successful" routes that other companies that Sony and Microsoft go (such as instantly creating best-selling sequels to popular games... Halo got two immediate sequels, and Final Fantasy is still truckin'). They prefer to have a bit more "integrity", I guess, not appealing to the fans. Which is stupid. I mean, sure, having a bunch of sequels shortly come out after a very successful game is pushing it, but deciding against a sequel altogether -- or going against adding more interesting content to the original -- is dumb.

2- Yes. Mewtwo's trophy is awful. The rocks look better than he does, which is a disgrace!

Ah, by the way, that petition just got one more signature. ;)
I know the petition is rather outdated (as it requests for Roy and Mewtwo in BRAWL), but still. Just signing now shows how much people care.

cman

Smash Ace
Mewtwo may have sucked, but he was very unique and a lot of fun to play for fun.

aeghrur

Smash Champion
Because in the good old days back in 2nd grade, having a Mewtwo in your team meant that you were the god of your class. I remember beating everyone in my class with a team of Mewtwo, Zapdos, Moltres, Articuno, Snorlax, and Charizard. Back in the day, Mewtwo was undoubtedly the strongest Pokemon, and his popularity was met with the first Pokemon Movie too. I still have my Pikachu card that has the Pokemon the Movie seal on it.

Mewtwo was an amazing character choice to represent Pokemon, but Sakurai made him SUCK in Melee. We'd rather have a crappy Mewtwo character in Brawl than not have him at all.

Really... Sakurai gave the god incarnate of Psychic pokemon the psychic equivalent of Ember; Confusion. And then there's Disable...? What the hell! Mewtwo was a LEGENDARY Pokemon, and even after 400+ additions to the Pokemon series, Mewtwo continues to be one of the greatest Legendaries in the series.

There's little excuse as to why Mewtwo didn't receive Psychic (Psychic Pokemon's equivalent of a Fire Pokemon's Flamethrower), Swift, Barrier, or the following attack that Mewtwo used against Mew in Pokemon the Movie.

Besides, according to the Pokedex, Mewtwo weighs 269 lbs, making him a heavy weight. And then Mewtwo was inaccurately portrayed to be slow, which he was absolutely not. Mewtwo's base speed in Pokemon was 130, making him the 8th fastest Pokemon in the whole universe, according to this list: http://www.serebii.net/pokedex-dp/stat/speed.shtml

People didn't play Mewtwo because Sakurai both portrayed him inaccurately and made him completely blow. If Mewtwo was actually portrayed accurately and was actually a worthwhile character, then many players would play as him.

It's incredibly stupid of Sakurai to make Mewtwo suck, then remove him when people dislike playing as Mewtwo. Well of course, people didn't like playing as Mewtwo because Sakurai made him suck!
Oh so true.
I mean, if they replace the god of psychic pokemons, they should at least replace him with a worthwhile clone/wannabe like Deoxsys. =O Still, Mewtwo=awesome. Is he even like a pokemon through pokeballs in brawl? No. =*(*

PK-ow!

Smash Lord
Because a large amount of players for some reason want mewtwo to f**k them in the a*s.

Really, I'm starting to think you people want to have sex with him!
SIlly Chagen, legendary pokemon can't breed. >.>

I have wondered. . . if you kept Mewtwo's moves constant (the look, the hitboxes, the general frame data), but allowed yourself to change the damage and knockback data, as well as put Mewtwo in the new physics. . . would it be possible to balance it?

So many things were off about its moves. It's like anything with those hitboxes would always have huge weaknesses, as long as you didn't just crank up the damage on them.

Giving it a decent spot dodge would have helped, although it occurs to me that its air dodge simply would never have had the same 'feel' as it did in Melee, since it couldn't surprise an opponent in Brawl.

Just some idle thoughts.

Bowser King

Have It Your Way
SIlly Chagen, legendary pokemon can't breed. >.>

I have wondered. . . if you kept Mewtwo's moves constant (the look, the hitboxes, the general frame data), but allowed yourself to change the damage and knockback data, as well as put Mewtwo in the new physics. . . would it be possible to balance it?

So many things were off about its moves. It's like anything with those hitboxes would always have huge weaknesses, as long as you didn't just crank up the damage on them.

Giving it a decent spot dodge would have helped, although it occurs to me that its air dodge simply would never have had the same 'feel' as it did in Melee, since it couldn't surprise an opponent in Brawl.

Just some idle thoughts.
Make it so his VB gives damage on the 1st hit (maybe even replace it).
>B should make the player fall and get stunned for a while (sort of like getting tripped) and make it reflect projectiles easier (maybe even replace this to)...

woopyfrood

Smash Lord
Mewtwo's SideB was near useless. Here's how to make it over-powered:

-People cannot attack while in mid-spin.

-Reflected projectiles will hurt people.

-It sends people away from you, basically stopping people from rushing straight towards you.

-Rapidly pressing B will cause more damage (will cause damage while spinning, aside from the slam), but won't send people as far away.

-If you make someone fly off an edge, they will go straight down when they would normally slam against the ground (because there is no ground). Basically has close to the effect of a spike, only it of course does no slamming damage. Think the Koopa Klaw, only you don't KO yourself...

Kaabi

Smash Cadet
people always cared about mewtwo.

Not only that, removing characters with unique movesets boggles the mind.

He had like 2 of the coolest specials in Melee, the flip and confusion....while they werent game breaking....they were cool.
That pretty much sums it up for Mewtwo.

Roy, on the other hand, had unlike other clones (Dr. Mario, Pichu) the possibility for a unique moveset, unrelated to Marth.
Oh, and he is a fan favorite:laugh:

woopyfrood

Smash Lord
We need to keep this thread alive until Roy and Mewtwo are confirmed.

Or...should I just start a new thread?...

LinkSceptile333

Smash Journeyman
I miss Mewtwo and Roy.

:(

They should have kepy Roy and still added Ike (changed Roy's moveset of course), like the Star Fox trio.

Mewtwo is just freakin' awesome and unique.

woopyfrood

Smash Lord
I miss Mewtwo and Roy.

:(

They should have kepy Roy and still added Ike (changed Roy's moveset of course).
When I saw Ike, I was like "Oh goody! Three Fire Emblem reps! They are a bit underepped...". I thought it was rather stupid to cut Roy BECAUSE F.E. ONLY HAD TWO REPS IN MELEE! WHY ARE YOU CUTTING AN ALREADY UNDEREPPED FRANCHISE?

Steelia

Smash Champion
Or...should I just start a new thread?...
Nope.
I've already sent yet another complaint email to Nintendo on the matter. Arr, I'll get it out of them, I tell ya!

LinkSceptile333 said:
Mewtwo is just freakin' awesome and unique.
Yep.
Quoted for truth.

Live, thread! Live!! Lest the memory of those lost shall forever be nothing more than empty set of soda cans floating amidst a relentless grey ocean!
...Hmm. Perhaps that's the wrong analogy...

woopyfrood

Smash Lord
Nope.
I've already sent yet another complaint email to Nintendo on the matter. Arr, I'll get it out of them, I tell ya!
I sent them the petition. Here was the response:

"Hello,

I appreciate your taking the time to share your comments with us in regard to wanting to see Mewtwo in a Super Smash Bros. game. I will forward your email on to the appropriate department for further review. While you won't be contacted further regarding this issue, please rest assured that your feedback will be taken into consideration when planning future games.

Sincerely,

Sharon Matheny
Nintendo of America Inc."

....well....it's a start....

•Col•

Smash Champion

"Hello,

I appreciate your taking the time to share your comments with us in regard to wanting to see Mewtwo in a Super Smash Bros. game. I will forward your email on to the appropriate department for further review. While you won't be contacted further regarding this issue, please rest assured that your feedback will be taken into consideration when planning future games.

Sincerely,

Sharon Matheny

Wtf... D:

Someone make a Roy petition nowe.

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter
^^ I hate to say it but as much I'd like to believe these to work, I doubt Sakurai would even take a look at them (hope he does though)

•Col•

Smash Champion

woopyfrood

Smash Lord
Please clarify, was that a good "Wtf...", as in YOU'VE never gotten that from them?...

Steelia

Smash Champion

"Hello,

Sincerely,

Sharon Matheny

*sighs*
Nintendo and their automatic emails. BY GEORGE, I'M FAR FROM FINISHED!
Heh heh... I think I'm becoming a bit of a thorn in their side... I've emailed them enough to the point where I no longer get "Sharon" as my replier... They redirected me to someone else to tackle. Heh heh. (And he doesn't sound too happy, either. Guess I wouldn't blame him.) :p

Well, I guess the only way we'll ever get Roy is when these guys make a texture hack out of him... and the only way we'll ever see Mewtwo is when these guys make the finishing touches on their Mewcario character.
Still not as same as having the originals... but hey, at least it has their essences carried, like how Lucas has the Claus coloring. :)

cjrocker

Smash Ace
I can't see Roy ever coming back. If there's even going to be another game, it won't be for a good 5-7 years, and by then Roy will be more obsolete than he is now.
Mewtwo has higher chances, but the fan request has to be pretty massive.

Steelia

Smash Champion
I can't see Roy ever coming back. If there's even going to be another game, it won't be for a good 5-7 years, and by then Roy will be more obsolete than he is now.
Mewtwo has higher chances, but the fan request has to be pretty massive.
For Roy, he WAS considered for Brawl, as we saw with the hacked Forbidden Seven... so he was still recognized by Sakurai, which is something. Same for Mewtwo, same for Doctor Mario. And sure, Roy will more than likely never appear in another game again (lest it be a cameo, or a Smash appearance)... but then again, neither have the Ice Climbers (cameo, I believe), Pit (yet), or even R.O.B. If R.O.B. can get in a Smash title, just about ANYONE can. :p

As for Mewtwo, yes, his requests would have to be... pretty outrageous... I'm sure that when the next Smash title comes around, fans will speak out for him, just like when people came out of the woodwork for Geno support... :chuckle:

woopyfrood

Smash Lord
*sighs*
Nintendo and their automatic emails. BY GEORGE, I'M FAR FROM FINISHED!
Heh heh... I think I'm becoming a bit of a thorn in their side... I've emailed them enough to the point where I no longer get "Sharon" as my replier... They redirected me to someone else to tackle. Heh heh. (And he doesn't sound too happy, either. Guess I wouldn't blame him.) :p

Well, I guess the only way we'll ever get Roy is when these guys make a texture hack out of him... and the only way we'll ever see Mewtwo is when these guys make the finishing touches on their Mewcario character.
Still not as same as having the originals... but hey, at least it has their essences carried, like how Lucas has the Claus coloring. :)
I had a fearin' that was an automatic email...

What do we have to do?! Give a complaint in person?!

Top Bottom