• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why Banning Tripping Should be Considered at Most National/Regional Brawl Tournaments

sunshade

Smash Ace
GunmasterLombardi if there was a built in feature to turn tripping off (as in out of the box you could toggle it off in the option feature like we toggle stock) would you still think we should keep it on?

Just about everyone will answer that with a no because tripping is a non competitive aspect of brawl which if removable in an easy/legal way without any other possible issues would be done in a heartbeat. In our current position however we cannot remove tripping without violating the law (via hacking) and without the risk of cheating (someone putting other hacks onto the SD card an making very very subtle changes to their advantage).

Conti

Smash Ace
@Lombardi...What makes me LOL is I was talking about end lag... I wasn't even thinking startup... but I'm talking like MK's fsmash for example... there's startup lag and not much ending lag... the most general way to punish is a perfectsheild, dash grab... THAT IS THE ONLY WAY TO PUNISH [with the exception of a few characters with good tilt's / projectiles (diddys nanr, gyro ect)]....but hey u know what when I see that opprotunity just for u lombardi I'm gunna walk away and give up free damage cuz I'm sooooo scared of tripping... that's how ur supposed to play right? U r soo dumb :p

Reposting for the sake of you guy's should consider this idea...

AN OFFICIAL TOURNAMENT CODEST USED BY T.O.'s

Anyways I know this would take a good amount of communication between a T.O. and people but what if he had a laptop with like an official hacked codeset for all tournaments... that the T.O. set's up... like someone posted earlier this could fix some of the minor bugs with other char's and it wud reduce the chance of someone using a cheating codeset [such as mk less damage]... (and have a folder for every1's codeset's temporarily until the tournament is over in case they have some codes they want to keep)...

Like the tournament codeset would include
-SD Replacement [txtures n ect]
-No tripping
-infinite replays
-Auto set with tournaments ruleset [3stock 7-8mins, team attack ect.]
-whatever else....

THIS COULD WORK....

Edit: if people are scared that its illegal... then remove the SD txture hack code and just use the other codes just incase u feel safer in that sense... like mlg in example I don't think would be fond of texture hacks... so if you load the codes thru the way people mentioned with the glitch fix's and no tripping and ect... I think it wud workout and noone would notice or complain haha

Support if you like this idea
A Tournament Codeset

GimR

GimR, Co-Founder of VGBootCamp
NNID
VGBC_GimR
<content redacted>

Seriously? so I can't talk about an interview sakurai had because it could've been mistranslated and he could of been lying? Well, since nothing has come out about it I'm going to assume it's true until some reliable source says other wise.

I'm glad you explained what you meant by there are only winners and losers lol

Last edited by a moderator:

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
ITT: GML has never won a tourney lol
Irrelevant.

You can know things about this game without placing high.

Why don't we hack SF2 to remove random dizzys, oh wait. If you want to change a game to your liking, get M.U.G.E.N., if not suck it up and deal with the fact it's a part of the game.

PieDisliker

Smash Lord
NNID
PieDisliker
The main reason I want no tripping removed isn't to balance the game.

It's annoying, distracting, and useless. And for that reason alone is good enough for me to not want tripping. If tripping actually had a benefit in any sort, that would be a different story. But if it was gone, nobody would miss it.

Eddie G

Smash Hero
NNID
neohmarth216
If you want to change a game to your liking, get M.U.G.E.N., if not suck it up and deal with the fact it's a part of the game.
Lolwut.

Is "just deal with it" your default for every debate? I could swear I've seen a similar line from you on the MK topic. Tired default is tired.

And my answer: No, we have the means to make the necessary change. The Smash community is not immense to the degree that it would be impossible to standardize "no tripping" for our regionals/nationals. I could see if we didn't have the tools, but that is not the case...

joeysmash

Smash Ace
NNID
papakarcher
I honestly can't believe this is being so hugely debated. Tripping can, and should be easily banned from tournaments. THERES NO REASON FOR IT. most local ones do this anyway. The ONLY way i would say no to this if legality of it in question, which really SHOULD be the argument of this thread. Removing Tripping would do nothing but improve the quality of the competitive scene.

Honestly, MLG could do this to all there wiis right now in secret, and no one would notice or complain. think about that?

Eddie G

Smash Hero
NNID
neohmarth216
^ I hope you don't make it out of pools or something equally significant from a trip. =/

GunmasterLombardi

Smash Champion
Lolwut.

Is "just deal with it" your default for every debate? I could swear I've seen a similar line from you on the MK topic. Tired default is tired.

And my answer: No, we have the means to make the necessary change. The Smash community is not immense to the degree that it would be impossible to standardize "no tripping" for our regionals/nationals. I could see if we didn't have the tools, but that is not the case...
Debater RDK once said "We don't ban things unless they overcentralize or put the metagame in danger." Tripping is NOT a big deal.
I honestly can't believe this is being so hugely debated. Tripping can, and should be easily banned from tournaments. THERES NO REASON FOR IT. most local ones do this anyway. The ONLY way i would say no to this if legality of it in question, which really SHOULD be the argument of this thread. Removing Tripping would do nothing but improve the quality of the competitive scene.

Honestly, MLG could do this to all there wiis right now in secret, and no one would notice or complain. think about that?
Lol that's funny cause a lot of people have seen MLG as a stupid community in terms of how they think about Smash. If MLG thought tripping was such a big deal, they would've already saved such codes into their Wiis. BETTER YET, if tripping was such a big deal like you whiners try to make it seem like, do you think they would've allowed Brawl into their event in the first place? Think about that.

Katana_koden

Smash Ace
No body seems to want to commit that tripping is a problem.
It should clearly be remove because it can't be predicted or controlled.
You can even be hit while falling and not just a tech game.
Its a minor change that can make big differences when the time comes.

You can dash for pivot grabs or dash to increase momentum for an aerial, tripping will make that mind game fail to someone attacking your ground state instead of "supposed" aerial.

Beginners and mid experienced who oppose changes to a game may think little to tripping, but if you train long enough on tech chases, it gets far worse more often.

Removing tripping removes such RANDOM and easily punishable INCIDENTS.
If you tripped and everytime you did, you were hit by a peanut. Its not much, does little, barely any knock back. But its annoying, racks up damage, and small vulnerable stun. Substitute that by any other characters punishing moves now, far more worse.

Characters like peach, DDD, game&watch have random occurrences. The difference is that they can be avoided. Or used against them. Compared to saying, its my fault for tripping to its my fault for getting hit by a bob-omb, which makes sense? Tripping is random, but you can trip into a bob-omb, lucky #9, multi-hit moves, explosions, or any epic kills.

UberMario

Smash Master
I don't see it as a problem, it's not like shield stun.

Heck I've even used tripping offensively to roll up into a grab or took advantage of the invincibility frames to get into a better position, it gives a small disadvantage, but it's existance is so that ground sharks don't overwhelm players trying to return to the ground or abuse dash dancing. (Considering it's in both Melee and Brawl I have a hard time believing it wasn't noticed during development, but it could have been a coincidence)

D

Deleted member

This is a great idea, it gets really annoying how i always seem to trip at the worst times, like when i try to pivot grab (i second Yoshi) or try to kill with an usmash. ThereIs no reason to not ban it other than people being too lazy to simply put a SD card into their comp and back into their Nintendo Wii, but if theyAre that lazy, then theyAre too lazy to attend tournaments. Also lol at people who say to not ban it.

Eddie G

Smash Hero
NNID
neohmarth216
I never specified an event, nor did I express any interest in debating what should be considered valid reasoning for a ban. Just an expression of hope for a ironic situation to occur. :)

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
Honest question here. If you are willing to hack the game to make it better by removing tripping, why not hack the game to make it better in other ways and play something like Balanced Brawl? Tripping is pretty indisputably bad for the game, but King Dedede having an infinite on Donkey Kong or Ganondorf being basically just completely awful are also pretty indisputably bad for the game. It strikes me as inconsistent to only change one issue or the other and not take a more general approach to improving Brawl via hacking. Balanced Brawl seeks to pretty much be just a better version of Brawl while maintaining the game's standard character so it basically is an extension of the "no tripping" code logic; it seems just natural to me that supporting such an improvement as the removal of tripping should lead you to support many other improvements as well. Any reason why not?

deepseadiva

Bodybuilding Magical Girl
3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
We need a better term than pro-tripping. That's like labeling pro-choice advocates "pro-death".

How about... anti-arbitrary-hacks-based-on-popularity.

That's catchy!

joeysmash

Smash Ace
NNID
papakarcher
If MLG did that...

1. It would be fraud. I paid my ticket to play Brawl, not some modified version.
2. It would be possibly illegal (DMCA, user agreement)
3. It would probably be breach of contract/whatever with Nintendo, because I'm assuming they made some agreement with eachother so MLG could use the name "Brawl"
4. It would be easily noticeable (just dash dance for a few seconds lol)
5. I (and I'm pretty sure a significant amount of other people) would complain

you didn't even read my whole post did you? i said legality is an understandable issue.

My point was if MLG were to do this, and they told no one, no one would care OR notice. Theyd leave and maybe some would think "say did you see any tripping?" "not really, and im happy tripping ****s the game up. im glad no one got screwed we were lucky"

LOL at your trollish post.

Chuee

Smash Hero
Gunmaster did you REALLY just say that a character that needs to run is a bad character?
Please stop acting like tripping is a players fault, it isn't

Judo777

Smash Master
Ok well im not for or against the idea of removing tripping however i would like to point out that 1 i seriously doubt that very many people would complain. More importantly have u ever actually thought when u go to tournaments and play on hacked wiis that maybe they did have tripping disabled. I have never actually thought about that. It would be so easy for someone bringing a wii to a tournament and you play a game on it and not notice that no one tripped. Now granted if no one tripped at a large scale tournament u might notice but on a small scale i doubt people would actually catch on. Especially since there is no way to prove it without actually looking into the hacked wii.

To be completely honest i think one of the best reasons for getting rid of trips is so when people are seeing this game for the first time we dont have to be like "oh yea....... the game randomly makes you trip...... other than that tho its a great game!" lol

Braxton2011

Smash Ace
NNID
Braxtonian8
3DS FC
4167-4550-9020
After seeing that video, and reading this thread. I really think it should be changed. Because I know there are some characters that NEED running. Yoshi especially because of his Pivot Grab and Dash Grab.

GunmasterLombardi

Smash Champion
Gunmaster did you REALLY just say that a character that needs to run is a bad character?
Please stop acting like tripping is a players fault, it isn't
No. I said that Oli MAY NOT be as good as people think he is IF the people who use him needs to risks things the entire match. I am not going to dumb it down.
After seeing that video, and reading this thread. I really think it should be changed. Because I know there are some characters that NEED running. Yoshi especially because of his Pivot Grab and Dash Grab.
Well removing tripping won't make Yoshi ENOUGH better:

1. Still has no OoS options, making it difficult to punish.
2. Still heavily relies on camp game that is still overcome by many characters.
3. Still somewhat light weight
4. Still has a poor sheild, yeah it resists pokes, but it's very laggy.

My point is that w/ or w/o tripping Yoshi still sucks. Nothing new about dash dancing or canceling will cover characters like Yoshi's problems.

Red Arremer

Smash Legend
how can this still be debaated. its ****ing retarted. you cant defend this without sounding dumb.
You never adressed my illegal point, which is the main reason I will not allow gameplay hacks in my tournaments.

I don't want to get booted from my location or even get sued or something when hosting a tournament with officially hacked rulesets.

(that said, only one person of the people vouching for hack-rulesets adressed this point, but didn't offer a satisfying solution for this problem)

GunmasterLombardi

Smash Champion
What. Wait what. You are aware that Yoshi is a heavy weight? He's the 10th heaviest character in the game.

Seriously, dude, whatever you say, you just produce verbal diarrhea. You should stop posting nonsense.
It's my fault for being bad with him then...everything else is correct so it doesn't matter cause I wanted to get a point across.
how can this still be debaated. its ****ing retarted. you cant defend this without sounding dumb.
tbh this isn't a debate, it's nonsense. Everything, even my own posts, are nonsense cause tripping is no big deal. This thread should have never started because nothing actually gets banned unless it puts the metagame in danger, or overcentralizes the metagame toward something other than playing the game like we do now.

Top Bottom