• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why are you a Smasher?

TheRaven

Smash Rookie
In today's highly judgmental society, which looks down on so many activities it deems abnormal or antisocial (including Smash), gamers receive a lot of flak from the media. They are shown as troubled addicts, living zombies, hopeless nerds, and *gasp* SCHOOL SHOOTERS EVEN (Columbine, anyone)?

In spite of all this, we all congregate on Smashboards to discuss our passion for Brawl, Melee, and SSB64.

What keeps you going? Why is it that you're different? What does this game mean to you, keeping you drawn, coming back for more?

Discuss.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
If you participate in an activity that includes a group of individuals, I don't see how anyone can classify that as antisocial

Chaco

Never Logs In
Gamers are actually probably more social than a lot of the masses. In constant contact whether it be in person, via Online gaming through voice chat, or even through messaging. It's all forms of communication, and it's all the time. As far as antisocial out of the gaming domain, that's just a stereotype as well, I haven't really ever seen an outcast gamer.

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
in response to the op question: I am not a Smasher anymore.

In today's highly judgmental society, which looks down on so many activities it deems abnormal or antisocial (including Smash), gamers receive a lot of flak from the media. They are shown as troubled addicts, living zombies, hopeless nerds, and *gasp* SCHOOL SHOOTERS EVEN (Columbine, anyone)?

In spite of all this, we all congregate on Smashboards to discuss our passion for Brawl, Melee, and SSB64.

What keeps you going? Why is it that you're different? What does this game mean to you, keeping you drawn, coming back for more?

Discuss.
This post reads like it was made in 2000.

Gaming isn't really as ostracized in comparison to how it used to be. Games like CoD and Halo have proven to be a very big thing amongst people who aren't really "gamers".

Compare to the 90s where a "gamer" or a "nerd" were terms that came with a certain stigma. Now though, it's much more widely accepted and saying you play video games is no longer a surefire way to get people to sneer and make fun of you

Chronodiver Lokii

Chaotic Stupid
BRoomer
Boyfriend (just my best friend when we first joined the scene) introduced me to tournaments, and I keep coming back because I'm determined to improve and because I honestly love the scene. I've met so many amazing people who I consider to be some of my closest friends <3

R h y m e

Smash Apprentice
I play Smash to win, because I'm annoyingly arrogant.
Nope, no heartfelt lovely answer from me.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I play smash because I can't beat my friend at Halo

JonnyW

Smash Ace
Melee is the only game I like, I dont play others. Gotta be the very best like no one every was.

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
I play Smash because I like it.

That's a common theme in my life, I tend to gravitate towards things I like. Shocking I know.

BSP

Smash Legend
I like the game and tournaments are really fun. I meet lots of cool people and get to play with people who like the game as much as me.

For what keeps me coming back: it's a fighter, so there's a large amount of different styles. Plus, there's still more smashers to meet!

Gatlin

cactus in the valley that's about to crumble down.
Never been much of a smasher at all, but gaming in general I do because I find it entertaining. It passes time, makes me less bored... etc. etc. It's also a great way to converse with others who have similar interest in the game you're playing, so why not?

FoxBlaze71

Smash Lord
The majority of my life has been in Smash. It's just a tradition. But I agree with the OP to some degree, some dumb media *****es are always screaming, "IT HURTS THE CHILDREN!!!". Honestly, I can play a shooter and see blood and cadavers all over the floor of a room, but it doesn't inspire me to do it IRL. Most gamers would never go on a rampage in real life. A while back I heard about some killer's mom trying to sue the companies that developed Doom. NEWSFLASH: Most people don't kill because of a shooter. You're son was just a ****** "special".

/overlengthyrant

TheRaven

Smash Rookie
You're son was just a ****** "special".
Or intellectually disabled, as I would say.

Personally I play it because I like the rush of winning. Winning is also an innate drive of mine. The asymptotic approach of optimal play also continually fuels my desire to continue playing.

Wizzrobe

Smash Champion
I play Smash cause I fell in love with the series when I was little. I have so much time put into the game that I want to countinue to improve. The game never gets old for me and I have so much time put into the games that I want to keep playing so that I will one day be one of the best.

shmeargle

Smash Apprentice
The game kinda grew on me when I was younger. When I realized you can do all these crazy things and own people the game became more enjoyable. I'm also not good at shooters lol. But it's probably because many of my friends play this. Best game ever created.

:phone:

Raccoon_Mario22

Smash Cadet
I play it cause I was introduced to it as a child and it always held a special place in my heart. It reminds me of 4th of July barbecues and my cousins and I being in the basement, smashing it up! I will admit, being a gamer isn't as socially excluding as it used to be but combine that with other fandoms such as MLP:FiM and furrydom, it can become a very lonely life. Depending upon where you live of course.

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
I played smash because of the community. The local community within my state, the Midwest region that I grew to love, as well as the the people I met on the forums. There wasn't really a reason for me to play that wasn't either this or spurred by this. And when the community, for me, was killed off more than I would have liked, I ended up quitting.

BSP

Smash Legend
^Your community was killed off? That's rough :p

I feel you though. You gotta have people with similar spirits to keep your smash spirit alive. Once the people are gone, you'll soon follow.

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
I continue playing today cause of the community and wanting to be a help for the community by helping with Yoshi stuff, even though I haven't done anything yet.

kyaputenfarukon07

Smash Journeyman
This game is magical and unpredictable.
Its magical because it brings people together
and unpredictable because its so much fun.

yoshi8984

Smash Lord
NNID
TimmyTendo
Switch FC
SW-6176-0583-0131
No particular reason, I play games to pass time and it's simply fun. Plus Smash is 1 of the few games that I have that has replay value :p

Sarix

Smash Ace
I play smash because of the community and because it's the only fighting game where I don't have to memorize weird button inputs for one attack.

Yoshi

Smash Lord
It's something I grew up with, got good at, and still enjoy to this day. Anyone I know who has a N-64, NGC, or Wii, also owns a Smah game. Says volumes about the series, one of those "have to have games" for a system.

HariKyuubi

Smash Journeyman
There are quite a few reasons that I started... It was BOUND to happen eventually. The event that pushed me to do it, though?

We started having meetings at the library, and there was this one guy who would ALWAYS win. Knew a bit about the community, but not too much. I just wanted to learn how to beat him. So I did. Consistently. And I kept practising after that. So, basically, I became a Smasher out of spite.

...But that's just the straw that broke the camel's back. First I entered a con tournament. I wanted a challenge, I wanted to see what all the fun was about... I was milling it over for a while after that.

Jim Morrison

Smash Authority
I came because I wanted to win. Then I saw that I wasn't ever going to be close to the top where you win money.

I stayed for the community and the chilled-out tournaments. And the booze.

Raccoon_Mario22

Smash Cadet
I am the lone smasher in my household, no one wants to challenge me... so I haven't been smashing as of late because of this, my next door neighbor who has it is a lot younger than me so if we played on the same couch together it may cause some people to think something less than innocent is going on.

Staz

Smash Lord
wow there is so much to say about smash. I've loved it ever since I was a kid, the feeling brought nothing but fun and happiness. Competitive play also brought me so much friends that are real close to me now, just through smash. We even do stuff besides smash occasionally but honestly it has brought me so much friendships and still today I haven't gotten sick of any smash game.

Pikaville

Pikaville returns 10 years later.
I play smash because the controls are amazingly fluid, I love fighting games, one move can cause you to die or get a stock off someone and finally because I love Nintendo characters.

The only other fighter I have ever loved as much is UMvC3.

Sapphire Dragon

Smash Master
NNID
SapphireRyu
3DS FC
3351-4374-1516
Switch FC
SW-2172-6976-4896
I play Smash because Melee was the first fighting game I ever played, and it stuck with me. I got into tournaments when I got curious enough to visit a gaming panel at an anime convention and enter the tournament, and someone introduced me to the competitive gaming scene and SWF.

Wolfy!

Indecisive
I play Smash cuz
1. I love the games
2. It's my favorite way to socialize
3. Lots of cool people play smash, and it's always nice to make new friends

Bassoonist

Smash Master
NNID
WoodwindsRock
3DS FC
1032-1351-5240
I'm not really a 'Smasher'. Super Smash Bros. Brawl really killed the series for me. It was so much more fun hyping it up then it ever was playing it. I really have no intention of going back to Melee either. The magic is gone. :(

However, I do look forward to Super Smash Bros. 4, of course. However, I don't think I'll hype it up all of that much. Not because I think it would change my opinion (Brawl would have disappointed me no matter what), but because I don't know, that was five years ago. I'm not the same person I was back then. I have a lot more stuff to deal with nowadays. With that, I don't play video games quite as much as I used to.

I used to be a Smasher because I thought it was really fun. I wasn't ever competitive. I enjoyed the novelty of pitting various Nintendo characters against other Nintendo characters. That was it. So perhaps I also just grew up.

Mr.Jackpot

Smash Lord
I'm a Smasher because Melee is pretty much the game I grew up with and my mind was absolutely blown after I found out about competitive Melee a few years after the release of Brawl when I quit Smash. The community is amazing and the game is still interesting a decade later because the metagame is still developing.

Teczer0

Research Assistant
Premium
BRoomer
I started off as a smasher because a few of my friends played it. Once I got introduced to the boards and the community I literally couldn't get out, I met a lot of really incredible people on this site.

Oh, and Melee is fun. I pick falco and push buttons =3

Top Bottom