• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Who's the player that inspired YOU?

Mike G

███████████████ 100%
BRoomer
I steal thread from west coast! teehee!

ok I start goooooooooo

My biggest inspiration?

I'd say it has to be Krazyjones. If any of you kids ever hear of him he was the peach player that taught me alot about the character and match ups. Back in his time He was also one of the top peaches in the US, right behind Sastopher.

Then after that It's Isai. nuff said

then after him it's a tie for DAwes/Ken/Azen.

Renth

Smash Hero
The Cape and UmbreonMow not because of their specific talents or characters they play, but for teaching me the ropes from whenever I was just learning.

QDVS

BRoomer
BRoomer
Ummm Ken and Azen were my inspirations after I saw the Game Over vids of them in grand finals!!!

That was way back in 03 baby!!!

Man, I remember Krazyjones...I used to watch him vs. Mofo a lot!!!

:colorful:

Gerbil

Smash Champion
The Alpha Gundam inspired me. He challenged me to switch games from a genre that I was dominating in the competitive scene (FPS/Halo) and put me into a genre that I generally could not handle very well. Two years later and I'm holding my own very nicely ^_^. Thanks Alpha. : )

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
Dare (JP) For actually getting me into the game.

The Alpha Gundam

Smash Champion
Your welcome Gerbs

I was inspired by the community *mostly the south*
watching peeps doing off the wall **** impress me to no end
most peeps would be intimidate by this and not even try
good thing I stuck with it cause its been a blast
Thanks to all my southern smashers XD

ihavespaceblondes

Smash Master
Oro/Wes/Mike Nasty inspired my early (and current really) Samus style.

But Zelgadis/Shined Blind is what first made me go "HOLY **** I've got to start going to these tournament things!"

Zoro

Smash Champion
The Germ
After i watched Linkology and The hylian nightmare i was like WAH!? are ju serius?

and uuaa
he used to come to my house and tell me about advanced techniques then he would own me with his fox and i would pick sheik and crouch cancel downsmash over and over.

After i watched germ i switched mains forever. Its been difficult and progress has been slow but i dont regret sticking with him :)

Caleb Wolfbrand

Smash Master
Aura Fox. the one and only. I used to go the silly Anime Weekend Atlanta convention and be "known" for being good.... you know... surviving at Hyrule Temple just figured out short hop on my own good. Then Aura appeared... and the rest is history. He's still my favorite Fox player :D

Co_and_me had a big influence on me as well. rest in peace.

Mike G and GA Wes inspired me later.

edit :

how could I forget Nite
my favorite red Falco!

and Reflex
for proving low tiers can do um, something
even if that something isn't first place

MarsFool!

Smash Lord
Who the **** is Mike G?

Also

Ken made me want to play. The first high level match I ever saw was Ken doing his signature combo. I was like wow. What the ****. Then my first melee OoS was VLS. All of those top players in one spot. I almost exploded.

Foxy

Smash Master
nobody in particular to start, because i really just played with my friends and we taught ourselves advanced techniques, but i suppose the first pro videos i watched were of PC Chris vs Ken (and the famous MLG upset).

however, recently i've been inspired by Silent Spectre, Mango, and M2K (when I can find newer footage of him).

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
NC-Echo pretty much is the person that introduced me to the notion of competitive smash, so props to him

After that, it's pretty much HugS for Melee, Isai for 64, and no one in particular for Brawl.

Anomic_Punk

Smash Champion
Besides the GA community getting me into competetive melee, it was Kizzu, QDVS and Azen that gave me inspiration for Marth and helped me improve (through their videos).

Nowadays I look to M2K's Marth for gimp-inspiration. lulz

Dynomite

Smash Champion
NNID
GA_Dyno
idk if this is for melee or brawl, so i guess ill do both

Melee: NY Wes. his samus is beast. made me want to pick up samus and learn melee. 3 months before brawl came out so i said f it.

Brawl: Reflex :( at the fact that its rare we see his wairo.

*P*L*U*R*

Smash Hero
Back when I was in High school, I watched alot of Combo videos. Granted most of them were Devil May Cry combo vids but for some reason, I looked up a melee combo vid and I was like, "Wow!" when I saw it. Ican't remember who's vid it was though. I think it was a ness one but back then I played Young Link and mewtwo and didn't know **** about the game.

Like, a year later(around 2-3 years ago) i actually learned advanced techniques, started watching videos and switched mains to IC and GaW(with Ylink and Mewtwo on the backburner). Obviously, my inspirations are Chu dat. Wobbles is probably my favorite smasher though because his IC is more like mine, in that it's flashy and technical. Granted, he's much more effective than I am and my tech skill has dropped considerably ever since I stopped playing outside of tournies. that and I'm not as grab-based as he is. IMO, he's the best IC player in the world, Chu's just a better player that happens to main IC. That and he's funny as hell and is always willing to help.

I also like watching Hugz play. Mostly because I wish I was NEARLY as patient as he is. His samus is just so good.

Oh yeah, and Gimpyfish simply because He's Gimpy and he seems pretty cool

In brawl, I don't really look up to anyone.

This post was way too long. :/

Dogysamich

The Designated Hype Man!
BRoomer
Aw look at that. Mike G got a name change. That's like gettin a haircut up in this *****.

___

As for people who've inspired me, mine's kinda weird. I can think of plenty of people who I could say inspired me to do this, that, try this, that, and the list would go on and on.

For the sake of this being the south room, I will mention that one of these people is Mike G himself. I remember the first I met him, my first tourney, MLG Orlando. I was talkin to somebody, cant remember who it was but it was somebody who was actually in the community. And I was telling them about the names I knew about and he was like "Oh, you know Mike G? That's him right there." and he points over to Mike, who's watching some people play. So I waltz over to Mike and I tap on the shoulder and say "Yo whaddup man. Im Dogysamich. Just wanted to meet ya and everything cause I'm tryin to get up into smash." Mike turns around and his this straight up viscious face that looks like he wants to say ".... who are you and why the **** are you distracting me for this match im watching". actually replied with "Yo wassup man.", but that's obviously not what I heard. For the longest after that, I was on a goal to get good enough so that people like him would give a **** about me. In my opinion, im actually not there yet.

**edit, forgot this section that makes Mike G not look like a jerk**
I asked Mike about this later (i think it was actually a few months ago, actually). The funny thing about this situation was he stayed up late the night before practicing and he was tired as hell. He didnt remember meeting me (Dont fault him for that), but he did remember being tired.

__

But for the person who really "inspired" me, I guess, I would have to say it was actually Brownmario (Yes brown, not green). I remember back when I would get online everyday to check captain jack's site for new videos watch, and one day I got bored and read the player bios on his site. I was lookin through and I see Brownmario's bio, and it says something like "It's incredible how well Brownmario does for living in (somewhere seculded in japan). He has nobody to practice with, so he trains with a level 9 mario for practice." I read that and was like "Wow, that's exactly like me. That means I can get good too." And that's pretty much the thing that's kept me in there till now.

Monk/Honkey/Banana

Smash Champion
a couple years ago I bought my own copy of Melee and played through the game to unlock everything and when I got bored I played a few matches against level 9 ganons...

then after playing with a group of locals that did all the "pro moves" I started getting into tournaments. My first tournament match ever was against Harriet the guy and I was doing alright...but he was moving so fast I had never seen any of the stuff he was doing...he almost wrecked me with a Falcon Punch...I was scared to say the least...but I wanted to be just like that...I wanted to move at that kind of speed with that kind of control.

Then I started watching combo vids and Cape's combo video was the one that made me pick up Mario

so to answer the question I guess it was a combination of Harriet the guy and Cape that inspired me

-!-

Smash Lord
PsychoMidget For sure... WhenI saw his Snake I was so into him more then I was... I wanted to be as good as him...

ChuDat is the Best Kirby over all, and when I saw his matches I wanted to try and pick up Kirby again.. after all I had left him back with melee... and even better I got to meet THE Chu back on Dec. it was major fun Chilling with him and my crew, seeing him go at it with Fl. tops was just too good... and hes just really fun to hand out with ^.^

Pengie

Smash Lord
I'd say it was Forward who made me say "**** this game is crazy"

PS: The only person who inspires people to play Brawl is Benjamin Franklin.

Frames

DI
my inspiration was bob$, his overdose video i must have watched it about 100 times at least, and i was just amazed at the things you could do with smash

since then i entered in tournaments and stuff with my friends and now begun to take smash to a more serious level, traveling oos and stuff

Finch

Smash Lord
Chu Dat inspired me to start playing ice climbers. QDVS, Afro, and Chops inspired me to be a smart player. Shiz and colbol inspired me to start seriously working on tech skill. The last two are recent developments.

Top Bottom