• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Who is your secondary character?

fallenangemon0

Smash Journeyman
There must be a pattern here, and I intend to find it.

As Jigglypuff mainers, do more of us lust for air mobility and also play Wario? Do we love the whole "trump card" idea and take a liking to Luigi (for the Uppercut)? Or do we prefer a better gimp game and choose Metaknight? :lick:

Post your Secondary character and the reason why you second them. Also tell us what you like most in both Jigglypuff and the other character like so:

fallenangemon0:

Jigglypuff/Lucario - Pressuring Air Game

Jigglypuff/Toon Link - Air game. Strong kill moves are aerials.

Jigglypuff/Falco - Complete opposites of eachother. Diverse playstyles. They complete eachother <3 :laugh:

Your turn.

MrEh

Smash Hero
Jiggs is my secondary. Bowser is my main.

Polar opposites, unless you count baiting and punishing.

PND

Smash Champion
Snake is my main
Jiggs is my second
Falco / Wario / DeDeDe / DK are all competent enough for competitive play or counterpicking.

Veril

Frame Savant
I main Jigglypuff and second MK. I'm trying to go solo Puff but I'll fall back on MK if I absolutely have to.

MK is fun, gimps like no one else, and takes care of every bad matchup I have.

RhedKing

Smash Journeyman
I main Jiggly and second kirby, but I really only play jigglypuff, she just has two forms.

Jigglypuff is my favorite because IMO she is truly the most advanced character in the game; that is, her advantages are so subtle that it takes dedication to use her effectively. She has all of the characteristics of a very weak character: from a beginner's perspective she is lightweight, incapable of killing, short ranged, has a fairly long list of useless moves, can't handle more than one target, and is completely overshadowed by meta knight. With all of these inherent deficits in ability, she is regarded as more of a handicapped character than anything else.
I remember (back in nam) when I first entered a local just for fun tournament at my school. When I was up and selected jigglypuff (with the flower) everyone laughed. 'Jigglypuff is pathetic! You touch her and she dies!' They shut up in the first five seconds of the match. :laugh:

Jiggs is a one hit girl. her only multi-hit attack is dair (arguably jabs as well)
Kirby is the opposite, he loves to multi hit. and I play him the same way I do jiggs almost down to the letter.

Kirby's got my ground, Jigg's got my air. They both handle in very similar ways, and movement and spacing wise they are practically identical.

In fact, I play them so similarly that my kirby is really just a disguised jigglypuff.

I only play metaknight if I want to make someone cry. If your a good jigglypuff, you're a good metaknight too.

fallenangemon0

Smash Journeyman
I main Jiggly and second kirby.
Jigglypuff is my favorite because IMO she is truly the most advanced character in the game; that is, her advantages are so subtle that it takes dedication to use her effectively. She has all of the characteristics of a very weak character: from a beginner's perspective she is lightweight, incapable of killing, short ranged, has a fairly long list of useless moves, can't handle more than one target, and is completely overshadowed by meta knight. With all of these inherent deficits in ability, she is regarded as more of a handicapped character than anything else.
I remember (back in nam) when I first entered a local just for fun tournament at my school. When I was up and selected jigglypuff (with the flower) everyone laughed. 'Jigglypuff is pathetic! You touch her and she dies!' They shut up in the first five seconds of the match. :laugh:

I think that the best reason for playing jigglypuff is that you get the awe-factor if you're good with her, and people inherently respect a good 'puff.

Kirby is my second, because I saw my ground game taking presence and decideing to use someone more oriented to that.
But I'm basically back to jigglypuff for good.

I only play metaknight if I want to make someone cry. If your a good jigglypuff, you're a good metaknight too.
Ah. A lust for ground game potential satisfied through Kirby. Cool. :)

SR-71

Smash Apprentice
i've never even really tried Meta Knight cuz i hate him so much, but after Rhed's enlightening post i'm gonna try him more. and I agree that Jigglypuff is a highly specialized character that needs lots of dedication

Noobicidal

Smash Master
I split-main Her Majesty and Ganondorf. He's my "Trump Card" if you must.

Secondaries would be Zelda, Marth, and Random.

Grey Belnades

The Imperial Aztec
NNID
OldManGrey
3DS FC
0748-2157-4277
well i main G&W, but i dont use him as much, i first use characters im training with, then characters i know how to use

Veril

Frame Savant
well i main G&W, but i dont use him as much, i first use characters im training with, then characters i know how to use
You sir, are the enemy.

i've never even really tried Meta Knight cuz i hate him so much, but after Rhed's enlightening post i'm gonna try him more. and I agree that Jigglypuff is a highly specialized character that needs lots of dedication
Metaknight is actually Jigglypuff with a mask, wings (glued on), and swords. Ergo, I main Metapuff. Don't hate MK. If he was banned Jiggs would be even worse.

Maniclysane

Smash Lord
I love MK. :( I planned on maining him since he was announced, but I dropped him because of my friends going BAWWW.

Oh lol, I lied. It's Toon Link / Olimar -> Jigglypuff / Dedede. I think I'm maining Toon Link now. xD

*JuriHan*

Smash Master
3DS FC
1392-4901-1779
1. Jigglypuff
2. Pink Meta knight ( he must be pink or I won't use him)
3. Peach

I like pink, floaty characters. ( Except for Kirby because he's *** and for noobs.)

M-WUZ-H3R3

Smash Lord
lolwut?

1.) Jigglypuff
2.) Link
3.) Captain Fawlcon
4.) DK

The only pattern I see is that they are all bottom tiers, and they are all from the first game.

EraOfGames

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2895-7773-5577
1. Toon Link (err, my jiggz is way better but I like him a lil bit more lol.)
2. Jigglypuff
3. Pink Mk
4. Pokaymanz Trainer
5. Wario

SourPuff

Smash Rookie
My secondary is Peach...I love aerial brawling. I can never seem to win with Peach in 1v1, though, perhaps I just forget it's a fighting game when I start levitating or plucking veggies.

The only time I get away with that is on 75m, people never see the springs coming when they're trying to pin an enemy down.

I also use White Falcon once in a while.

Mister E

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
2208-7088-4154
Wario and Jigglypuff... not sure who's my favorite of them :p

Tarmogoyf

Smash Master
I main Jigglypuff and second MK. I'm trying to go solo Puff but I'll fall back on MK if I absolutely have to.

MK is fun, gimps like no one else, and takes care of every bad matchup I have.
And all the other ones too. Lol.

I'm going to tell you trendy folks to suck it, cuz I hate wario soooo much.

I second Ice Climbers, because they are also really hard to play (a weird thing of mine), but have crazy good upsides. I like the mental advantage IC's bring to the battle. Aside from everything else, your opponent also has to worry about the fact that misspacing=death. And they are really good for mindgames/edgeguarding. Also, lots of Jiggs's worst matchups are grab heavy characters, like oli and falco, and lol at grabbing IC's. I also just like how thier playstyle really annoys people, which can make them make more mistakes. Plus, I feel that all low teir mains should have at least BL alts, because they all have unwinnables.

Veril

Frame Savant
And all the other ones too. Lol...

Also, lots of Jiggs's worst matchups are grab heavy characters, like oli and falco, and lol at grabbing IC's.
I could main MK, but I don't, cause I like Jiggs better. The MK hate is f***ing absurd. I don't feel like wasting time learning to beat prolimars and Luigis with Jiggs when I could learn it with MK in half the time. MK has already peaked in terms of metagame though, and Jiggs is just beginning to grow, she's much more interesting.

The grab heavy thing is wrong. We can do fine against DK and DDD.

PND

Smash Champion
Hell, I've heard DeDeDe mains say we have the advantage and Fogo (I think it was him?) has said we're one of the King's worst matchups, and c'mon, no one is grab heavier than DeDeDe.

What screws us up is extremely disjointed moves. Either quick ones ala Marth's fair, or lingering ones ala Gdubs' turtle. Spacing moves, really.

Veril

Frame Savant
Seriously in terms of overcoming bad matchups you're best off with MK, Snake, or Marth.

You really want to be able to deal with Olimar, Falco, Luigi, Snake (really tough for me at least), Marth and GW. Beat them with Jiggs when you can, but a secondary should have an advantage on them.

Marth does well against all of them but Snake, and its pretty close there. IDK about the Falco matchup, nor do I care lol. Snake is really good, I think he can handle them all. The issue is that they don't have an advantage on ALL the bad matchups, and they have very different playstyles from Jiggs.

For example: I tried to pick up Marth, but hated his laggy down-aerial. I just couldn't accept his recovery either. With Snake, I just didn't like projectiles, and his appeal to me was pretty limited due to his airgame.

MK on the other hand isn't that different from Jiggs, offstage gimps, SH aerials, crazy recovery, spaces with f-air. He has the advantage on... everyone really, and he doesn't take that much time to learn well if you've learned to space with Jiggs already. Having a clear advantage on Marth and GW is amazing.

MK is the best choice as a secondary. By far. Similar playstyle, insanely good, handles bad matchups best out of anyone overall, fun!, and no real ATs to master.

∫unk

Smash Master
Secondary Marth's aren't going to beat other Marth's let alone Snake.

Just saying 2 of the more popular characters among Jiggs weak matchups does not get covered by Marth.

Trying to secondary Marth is near impossible... ask illinalex :laugh:

Veril

Frame Savant
Secondary Marth's aren't going to beat other Marth's let alone Snake.

Just saying 2 of the more popular characters among Jiggs weak matchups does not get covered by Marth.

Trying to secondary Marth is near impossible... ask illinalex :laugh:
I agree. Marth takes so much work to get to a high level of play. I'm always wowed when I watch a really good Marth. I just listed him because of the GW advantage.

Your Marth rocks btw. I've been watching the vids of you trying to figure out the best strategy to employ as Jiggs.

∫unk

Smash Master
noo those vids are so bad lol that was before i started going to tournies every weekend :p

i was really impatient with the kill and i didn't know how to approach so i kinda just spammed in front of ppl's faces :/

i have a recent vid of me up against a zss but it's really bad quality lol

i'll respond to your PM later but a friend is here to play but to the short answer is yes i can stop it anytime XD

edit: i'll let u know what i think about marth v jiggs too... f-air is punishable :x

Metatitan

Smash Master
ouch he burned u alex :urg:

on a side note im thinking of either picking up kirby or peach in addition to sheik, which one of those two can hold even grounding on gw?

MrEh

Smash Hero
Oh yeah, I also use Luigi and Wario to help cover some of Bowser and Jiggs` bad matchups. (well, mostly Wario)

I usually go Jiggs to deal with Dedede. Luigi is there because he`s cool, and he gets rid of Olimar. Wario is used because he *****. ^^

For everything else, I go Bowser. He actually doesn't do that bad against Gdub.

Tarmogoyf

Smash Master
I could main MK, but I don't, cause I like Jiggs better. The MK hate is f***ing absurd. I don't feel like wasting time learning to beat prolimars and Luigis with Jiggs when I could learn it with MK in half the time. MK has already peaked in terms of metagame though, and Jiggs is just beginning to grow, she's much more interesting.

The grab heavy thing is wrong. We can do fine against DK and DDD.
I wasn't trying to imply that grabs=problem for jiggs. I was trying to state that 2 of our 3 worst matchups are very grab intensive characters. I kinda miswrote what I ment.

The Meta Knight hate is largley due to scrubs, or people who like matchups in a fighting game. It's not that he is anywhere near unbeatable, it's that at the highest level of play, what we know right now is that maining Meta Knight is blatantly the most logical option if you want to win.

Seriously in terms of overcoming bad matchups you're best off with MK, Snake, or Marth.

You really want to be able to deal with Olimar, Falco, Luigi, Snake (really tough for me at least), Marth and GW. Beat them with Jiggs when you can, but a secondary should have an advantage on them.

Marth does well against all of them but Snake, and its pretty close there. IDK about the Falco matchup, nor do I care lol. Snake is really good, I think he can handle them all. The issue is that they don't have an advantage on ALL the bad matchups, and they have very different playstyles from Jiggs.

For example: I tried to pick up Marth, but hated his laggy down-aerial. I just couldn't accept his recovery either. With Snake, I just didn't like projectiles, and his appeal to me was pretty limited due to his airgame.

MK on the other hand isn't that different from Jiggs, offstage gimps, SH aerials, crazy recovery, spaces with f-air. He has the advantage on... everyone really, and he doesn't take that much time to learn well if you've learned to space with Jiggs already. Having a clear advantage on Marth and GW is amazing.

MK is the best choice as a main. By far. Similar playstyle, insanely good, handles bad matchups best out of anyone overall, fun!, and no real ATs to master.
FIX'D. I don't play Meta Knight because it's really the easiest way to play, trendy, and because I think he does actually dumb down the game. Not that he should be banned (though I did jump on that when I was scrubby...), but that he removes the stragitec logic of the counterpic system.

Glick

Smash Lord
Things that are wrong with the jigglypuff players

They think that DDD ***** Jigglypuff.

Jigglypuff absolutely ***** DDD. Seriously guys?

They think falco ***** jigglypuff.

You know what I'm about to say.

They think battlefields actually a bad stage for jigglypuff.

BATTLEFIELD IS AMAZING FOR PUFF.

SR-71

Smash Apprentice
someone shines the light of reason, Glick +1 to that, DDD is a huge fat target for jiggly-pain.. i enjoy baiting his f-smash and then rofling him with rollout (as seen in my youtube vids xD ). I see no reason to fear his projectile or b-air... and battlefield is awesome. I've never played a good falco tho

Maniclysane

Smash Lord
BATTLEFIELD IS AMAZING FOR PUFF.
It depends. Battlefield isn't a bad stage, especially since Jigglypuff does a really good job at keeping people out from inside the platforms, but there are more characters that have a tangible advantage there, than Jigglypuff has.

Though, you're right. People who say the platforms get in the way of aerials don't know how to use platforms.

PND

Smash Champion
Here's the thing: most of Jiggs worst matchups (Marth, Snake, Olimar, G&W) are phenomenal at platform pressure. In tandem with their already ridiculous range, they can just camp under the platform and severely limit our options. For characters who aren't hax ranged, I enjoy BF. Not hugely, I prefer other stages. But any character with decent platform pressure and decent range on their moves will have a sizable advantage just by limiting our options, because surprisingly we don't have a lot of range to deal with it. It's not that it's unwinnable, it's that we have to consistently outplay the camping opponent to win. That, by definition, is a disadvantage. I try and limit my disadvantages when I play competitively, ergo no Battlefield. I'd rather go to a level where I'm on closer to even footing with my opponent.

We beat DeDeDe. Falco I don't really have a problem with, in fact, I love that matchup. But I think it's still a disadvantage. Not huge, but Falco has the advantage.

So we're going to have to agree to disagree.

Top Bottom