• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Who here was inspired by a pro to play a certain Melee character?

Luigi_Lova62

Smash Journeyman
If you were going to say that, why did you put in the first sentence?

And BTW, yes, I did edit the quote a little bit, but all I did was take out the non-significant stuff and underline and bolden the key statement.

Edit: I am EXTREMELY SORRY that I double-posted. I didn't mean to AT ALL.
I started off as Fox becuz of his speed and that I can control his moves better than the rest of the other characters.

Two years later, I learned wavedashing and L-canceling with him that I lost so many matches, and that wuz really disappointing for me.

Until this month, I got inspired by a pro who played as Luigi and how he did the wavedashing with him that gives Luigi great distance away from his opponent.

So now, I play as Luigi because of his close range attacks and his dash move that makes him slide a little when he stops.

Sry, that line wasn't supposed 2 be there at all.
Your satisfied now Link Lord?

Link Lord

Smash Journeyman
In a place where people are tortured endlessly and
I started off as Fox becuz of his speed and that I can control his moves better than the rest of the other characters.

Two years later, I learned wavedashing and L-canceling with him that I lost so many matches, and that wuz really disappointing for me.

Until this month, I got inspired by a pro who played as Luigi and how he did the wavedashing with him that gives Luigi great distance away from his opponent.

So now, I play as Luigi because of his close range attacks and his dash move that makes him slide a little when he stops.

Sry, that line wasn't supposed 2 be there at all.
Your satisfied now Link Lord?
Yeah, thanks for clearing that up. And also, good character choice. Luigi is great.

lain

Smash Master
uhhmmmmmm

at first i was like WHOOAAA Wife is teh **** with peach. and i played a crappy peach.

then i was like WHOAAAAA g-reg is the ****ing man with falcon. and then i learned some tech and played a terrible falcon

afterwars i was like OMGGGGGG PC Chris and Bombsoldier are sooooo cool! then i played a less then average flaco.

finally i was like BBBQQQQQQQQ when i.... shinespiked someone. because it made me erect. WITH POWER.

now i play a pretty good fox :D

spindash

Smash Ace
For me, a lot of inspiration came from my own favorites in the game, and suggestions from others. But now I've begun to really come into my own light with Link.

My secondary though? Man oh man, there's no other true inspiration for the things I can accomplish with Ganondorf other then the one and only Kage. Best Ganondorf in all of Canada, and I dare anyone to question that. XD Kage owns and is the reason I've picked up Ganondorf along with my Link.

Fletch

Smash Master
I'd say initially (like many others who I'm sure just don't admit it) that I picked up Fox after seeing Zelgadis' "Shined Blind" video, but I've also picked up Falco after seeing lots of the great Falco players (Forward and Shiz come to mind).

Jonkku

Lacks pick-up lines.
Simna ibn Sind's pk thunder guide was my inspiration for maining Ness.. I joined SWF almost 2 years ago (haven't been posting a lot), and I still main him.

pootTheBox

Smash Ace
Wes' Samus and CJ's Doc decided my mains.
My first big tourny Caveman beat me solely using D-air with falco. After getting over my high tier phobia I went to falco. Magically around that time bombsoldier rocked my brain.

-Hoggle-

Smash Journeyman
He isn't too well known on the swf and he isn't a pro by any means., but he is a competitive smash player that taught me every technical technique I know in smash melee (brawl doesn't have any techniques for him to teach me....jk or am i?). I've constantly be living in his shadow and I'm always one step behind him in Smash Bros skill and just life in general. Anyways his name is Pixel and his Samus inspired me so much that I main Samus myself in melee.

Velox

Smash Ace
I've always played Fox and Captain Falcon since the beginning of learning advanced techniques (Fox, so that I could follow Cunning Kitsune's guide back in the day, and Captain Falcon was just always fun...)

I later picked up Marth as a main at the end of 2006, because of FASTLIKETREE (whom's style I ripped...)
This was after seeing him completely **** with things that weren't yet popular at the time at a large tournament here in Texas.

I've always played Yoshi as a low tier, but after watching Svampen play him, I ripped his style as well...

Masamune inspired me to edge guard like a f**.

Nihonjin was always making me want to play Sheik too..., but my Sheik never really got all that good...

Oh, and Bombsoldier kept me interested in Falco and showed a fun side to him back in the day when not all Falcos played like him.

Azen and FASTLIKETREE though really showed me what it was to be a smart player, and how much fun it is to rely more on brains rather than tech skill (although I'm comfortable with the later style of play... ...)

Oh, and Sethlon has always showed me how to play a mean Roy :)

Stuhddabahkz

Smash Apprentice
It was so much of the player... but while watching 56K during a match I thought to myself... "Game and Watch looks kinda fun..." So I tried him out. It wasn't because 56K was complete **** with him, it was because he just looked fun...

LouisLeGros

Smash Journeyman
I've been playing Falcon since then N64 because he is the definition of awesome and win and is really fun to play. However, I never really mained him in melee.

I did in SSB, but in melee I switch over to Shiek and Link. However, at my first tournament I got my *** handed to me by a Captain Falcon after I had beaten a shiek with my link.
This player is what really made me switch my main.

Isai's awesome Captain Falcon also helped too...

t3hggnore

Smash Rookie
I think a short time after I learned some advanced techs, I was really inspired by PC/Chillin for fox, Ken for marth, drephen for sheik (though very little influence here). Phanna's samus was also kickarse.

Felca

Smash Rookie
Uhhh not a pro, but I was definitely inspired by someone beating me up as Link to start playing Link. I usually say I play Link because I spent so long with him in his own series, but... hmmn, I guess that's not exactly accurate. I started picking up the Zelda games around the same time as SSBM; it's my loyalty to Link that springs from the Zelda series.

Kasumi

Smash Journeyman
I've pretty much always played Doctor Mario. (And Ness) Bob$ inspired me to play Doctor Mario better. Ness I play out of straight fanboyism. Link I play because I like his series, and I love the projectiles. Marth and Fox I sort of picked up because of the tier list. (Though I suck as them anyway.) Falco I actually kind of like. I picked him up because of the tier list, but I really like his style. But meh. I guess no one really inspired me to play any of my characters. I'll admit seeing wicked combo videos made me try out a bunch of people, but I mostly chose my mains myself.

Stewie1288

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, picked up Marth from Azen/Ken. And CF from darkrain (omgwtfbbqcombo knees). Falco from Dashizwiz (amazing pillaring).

Yeah I'm a scrub. =P

Mike G

███████████████ 100%
BRoomer
I started playing with shiek because of Recipherus/Azen and CF because of Isai but never had the chance to use them in a tourney.. :embarrass

derpinsmash

Smash Cadet
i liked smash but i never really got into it that much. until the day i saw this and discovered the falcon's knee of justice http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/387503
please forgive the newgrounds.com, maybe there is a youtube vid of it but meh, too lazy to check.

oh yea and to be more on topic, recently Scar has inspired me to keep on playing melee in the hopes that the brawl tournament scene fails. Some would consider Scar a "pro" right?

slartibartfast42

Smash Lord
I was inspired to play as jigglypuff after seeing various pros own with her. Actually, her rest had always appealed to me, but I was never good enough with her to get it off. I can now :)

Also, to a lesser extent, I was inspired to play peach, but more from playing Super Princess Peach than from watching pros.

Dark Hart

Rejected by Azua
Originally, I played Marth because I though he was the best, then I watched Azen's and Ken's Marth and was totally amazed.. I'd have to say that watching PC convinced me to play Falco, too. Then Cort's and Wife's Peach recently convinced to play her, and now she's my main. ;)

Top Bottom