• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Who here was inspired by a pro to play a certain Melee character?

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Inspired from scratch:

I got kinda good with the IC for watching Chu Dat videos.

Obviously my level doesn't reach a fraction of HIS IC Level. :p

I was also inspired on a pro DK user (can't remember his name)

And Pimpuigi (not exctly a Pro fighter, but more of a Pro-stuntman) inspired me to get better with Luigi's Special Moves (though I still can't make the Luigi Tornado rise to it's maximum height possible...)

Then I watched videos to improve Mario, Peach, Ness, etc...

Ixninjax

Smash Journeyman
The thread probably is in the wrong section, but whatever. It's nice to hear stories of ppl who are inspired by others to take their game to the next level, It shows dedication to want be better and learn advanced techs.

I personally started out as sheik because of the whole ninja thing. Then i saw shined blind, and thought that the amount of technicality required for fox would be fun. Although im sure shined blind turned most of into competitive smashers...

Frey

Smash Journeyman
It was this board that changed me from a roy cspammer user to a marth/falco/fox/peach user. That was years ago.

Stado

Smash Apprentice
No one's ever inspired me to main Marth. He was just the character that fit my play style the best. However, I have been inspired by a few notable pros to play better with him. Also, I've been inspired by a pro I saw on YouTube to play Jigglypuff as a secondary main; it's fun when you can three stock people that you would normally only one stock.

RPGsFTW

Smash Ace
I am sorry for posting this thread in the Brawl section when there is a perfectly good Melee section :p If I can move it, please tell me how and I will, but otherwise I am sorry, but also happy for people replying to my thread.

Without watching pros, I have always liked Luigi, Ganondorf, Mario, and Ness (though it took awhile to be good with him again).

On a side note, I am kinda disappointed in watching Fox/Falco videos. I do not see the fun in ruining a character so that they are instantly amazing, and make cooler low-tier guys look bad. DK teaches them though (kinda, grab>cargo> Uair). But hey, I still kinda play as them, not much though.

Aryman

Smash Master
3DS FC
1934-0665-4529
Shouldn't this be on the Melee boards? Why is this in Brawl General Discussion?

Dragothel

Smash Journeyman
lately ive been playing Ganondorf after watching some of Eddie's matches on youtube

Knyaguy

Smash Lord
actually games influenced me to play as a character such as Bowser and Samus since I like their franchise
Yeah I liked pokemon franchise.Then I saw Shadowclaw....now that coming from the last tier character. I was in awe, so i tried Mewtwo and I realized that im never going to be that good, but i can still play as a cool character.

gamelover15

Smash Apprentice
Icys because of ChuDat.

Link because of Anaki

I played Kirby to main him again, but I failed to be good at him til' I saw Kirby pros, like Timmy, Omnigamer, etc. That's the reason why I decided to pick up Kirby again.

Fodder

Smash Apprentice
I got turned onto Jigglypuff because of a guide someone made on GameFAQs. I stayed with her because its fun to beat people with a generally unpopular character and because of King's video "Jigglypuff Ultimate Combo." <-- One of the most awesome things I have ever seen in "super smashdom."

BentoBox

Smash Master

I honestly cannot believe that any of you decided to play a character simply because there's somebody better than you out there. You can find a kickass combo video for about every character in this game. If the DBR combo vids made you lean towards a certain character, its because you were inclined or mildly interested into playing that character in the first place.

orintemple

Smash Lord
I played Marth, my main, way before I even knew there was a Metagame, probably before it even existed for Melee. Of course I have taken inspiration in terms of play style and tactics from great players, but character...no.

Wii4Mii 99

Smash Lord
Once I started learning about wavedashing and all those techniques, Link pros like The Germ and Anaki (can't remember his name...) inspired mii to pick up Link. Then, when I was decently good and craved for someone with a slightly faster gameplay (or at least a better wavedash and still fit the requirements I was looking for), Wes and the like inspired mii to pick up Samus. Now, I'm considering Marth, and possibly Falco.

Until wii meet again,
Wii4Mii 99

Orbinas

Smash Rookie
I used to play Roy or Marth, then I saw the tiers (yes, I know they're for pro play, but still), so I went all Marth. But I wouldn't say a pro inspired me to play a certain character (though I do look up to Aniki (I also play Falco and Link)).

-Wolfy-

Smash Champion
Noone inspired me to drop a character for another, but some inspired me to think of different ways to play them.
Bowser-Gimpy/Arash/Caotic
C Falc-Darkrain/Jiano

Kaizer

Smash Journeyman
AOB/And per se Andy/Andy's combovideo Puffstuff inspired me to begin playing as Jigglypuff. I'd never thought that the potential to Jiggz was that big, and I just started playing as her. Never stopped since ;)

Megavitamins

Smash Champion
I loved watching wes play Samus on youtube lol.. My first tourney i went to I use all samus, and he was there... I was kinda amazed it was awsomee

Jiho

Smash Cadet
Aniki inspired me to stick to link....even tho he plays samus now

Red.

Smash Ace
kizzu,EK and Mew2king for Marth

Silent Wolf and Prosmashertim for Fox

Ka-master for Luigi

1233 for ganondorf

Bombsoldier and Dashizwiz for falco

Crooked Crow

drank from lakes of sorrow
When I first started playing, I didn't know what character to use seriously.
I went on youtube, and found Aniki's Link videos. I liked Link since OoT, and all the stuff Aniki did in his matches inspired me to play a better Link. His videos got me into Advanced tactics and I still main Link.

Forward inspired me to get better at Falco.
Neo for Roy.
Taj inspired me to try out Mewtwo.
Bum and CJ (and someone else I can't remember) got me to try out DK.
I tried Yoshi because of Fumi.
I tried out Bowser because of Gimpy.

Amazing low tier mains are so 1337

The King

Smash Ace
Watching Clod-Zero play back in the day is what inspired me to get hella good at this game someday. Fast Falcons in general can be really eye-opening to how crazy this game is.

King Out

CHAOSDRAGON88

Smash Ace
I wasn't inspired by anyone. Zelda (I use both and win matches) was just sitting there and i was alone. Since then we're inseparable and victorious.

Tristan_win

Not dead.
To tell the truth when I first started playing smash I just pick what I thought was the best character in the game and ever since then sated with it. I was only two off

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
Eggz=Mario
Gimp.=Bowser
Luigi=Another Mario character, lol

Problem2

Smash Champion
NNID
Problem0
I played Link in SSB64 because none of my friends hardly played him more than once, so I took upon myself to use him. I was glad to see he was better in Melee so I played with him for a while, at least until I learned how easily fox can u-throw -> u-air -> u-air -> u-air to Link.

But before I dropped Link completely, one day a friend who didn't like Smash all that well wanted to play with Marth. For some reason, he was easily beating everyone but me, and it puzzled me until I came to the conclusion that Marth is one broken son of a *****.

... I still believe that today. :laugh:

Top Bottom