• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Who here was inspired by a pro to play a certain Melee character?

moozles

Smash Cadet
Before I found advanced techniques and the tier list, I used Ganondorf, but then I started I found out about this wavedashing stuff and saw Ken, which influenced me to play Marth. Later, Shiz influenced me to try out Falco which I like too and Bum started me to play a very crappy DK.

Micheloxx

Smash Ace
I never played smash 64.... and the first time i took melee to play.... my 2 sisters were playing for ours before me. One of them was using link and since she doesnt wanted me to use him also... she forced to use that unknown sowordman named marth... so i started using the crappy swordman( by that time :p ) that way.

So i think i was inspired by.... my little sister? lol
pretty nice inspitarion buddy jaja XD, pretty fun story man. XD.

i use luigi sinceeeeeee, mario world, he is mi favorite character in everygame and well, i use in this game too like i did in every game luigi is in.

Anther

Smash Champion
I've always mained Pika, and played smart and all.. but
Chudat, N64, Scissors Sir and Chad encouraged me to get better with the Pika.

xyouxarexuglyx2

Smash Lord
My characters are Marth, Falco, and Jigglypuff.

I picked up Marth because I previously used Roy, and Marth was the closest thing.
I used Falco, but Forward was the one who inspired me to get good with him.
Meeting Mango made me play Jigglypuff.

Winged Messiah

Smash Apprentice
Marth, because I played Roy in my noob days. Fox (well if playing alot for like 2-3 weeks counts as maining), the people who ***** me at my first smashfest xD.

Winged Messiah

Smash Apprentice
Ok, schooling xD. I'm looking forward to getting my *** schooled again, anywayz :p. Ill see if I can get a few others to come by as well.

dodoromeo

Smash Apprentice
ken influenced me to play Marth for a good 2 months, then bombsoldier introduced me to the wonderful world of Falco's dair spiking... haven't looked back since lol

although i do play as link 'secondarily' cos aniki showed me that he can actually pwn lol

I'm such a god****ed sheep T.T

DiabolicScheme

Smash Rookie
Yeah.. Gimpyfish has sparked a serious dedication to Bowser in me.. I've always wanted to be great with a character that isn't normally considered to be all that good.. and Gimyfish showed me that it's possible to be good with any character.

I'm seriously excited to use him in Brawl now:)

Somasu

Smash Ace
No player has ever really inspired me to play AS a character, but a lot of players have inspired what a lot of my characters look like.

M2K for my Fox
T0mmy for my Pichu
Forward for my Falco
Isai and Darkrain for my Falcon

Et cetera

KingofCereal

Smash Journeyman
I wasn't inspired to pick a character by any "pro", but I was definitely motivated to improve after watching videos of CJ's DK destroy everything in its path.

KYLEMARTHFALCODANIELSON

Smash Apprentice
ken is definately my biggest influencer on the game as a whole, i never got into the technical aspect of the game until i saw all the championship vids of him constantly ****** everyone. after i saw that, i went straight to playing marth and spent years doing nothing in the game but mastering every possible thing in the game with marth and thus have about 6 times as many KOs with marth as i do with my next highest guy....
falco, bombsoldier definately inspired me with falco, i haven't gotten close to mastering all of his different tricks like i have with marth, but he is definately up there,
the rest of the characters i main, i play simply out of love for the char/series regardless of peoples influence/the characters abilities.

Illos

Smash Apprentice
Tipman influenced me to play ganon and use advanced techs in general.

Binx

Smash Master
Ken inspired me to learn Marth, and G-reg inspired me to learn Falcon, also I was inspired by a complete super noob to play Ice Climbers, some guy on the Marth board was like judge this match and I saw that they were clearly both worse than me and then the IC player did a nana pult and I was like that is made of awesome and have been playing ICs since too bad nana pult sucks in a real game =(.

SirroMinus1

SiNiStEr MiNiStEr
NNID
Ajarudaru
Azen influence me because of his intelligent marth And m2k marth and fox influenced me ( that guy is 2 good). i hope i become big in brawl some day and influence others THAT IS MY DREAM!:)

Protoguy

Smash Cadet
The very first pro video I saw was Ken vs Azen.

I would be lying if I said that had nothing to do with me maining Marth, but I probably would have picked him anyway due to a few reason: I am an FE fanboy, Marth owns, Roy sucks, and Marth felt natural and fit my playstyle perfectly since the time I first used him.

bigman40

Smash Master
started out with mario. then i got my *** kicked by a real good player. after that the people that inspired me to play:
fumi- yoshi
gimpyfish- bowser
teh rudechu and others- pikachu

lol i play a lot of chara cause my set up is yoshi, mario, pikachu, bowser.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
DSF got me interested in Luigi after I watched one of his videos against Ken (G&W).

Otherwise, I usually play characters because most people don't use G&W, Mario, Bowser, or Pichu, and I like showing that they too can do crazy **** with the right person in control. Back in the day when my friends and I were n00bs, I took great pride in beating up other people who used Marth with my G&W and Pichu (since I was a little less of a n00b that then at the time. today is different though. ><).

Aesir

Smash Master
I first used link cause germ looked pretty cool lol, then I switched to marth cause I needed a top tier back up.

well one time I saw PC chris use marth and **** with him, ever since then I've been using marth lol.

forward

Smash Champion
There was this one guy a long time ago who lived in Phoenix that inspired me to play Falco, he was so good for his time, he was able to do SHLs while moving forward, his name was Dwayne.

When I play Fox I try to play like PC.
I play Marth like M2K.
M2 like Taj.
CF like Isai and Darkrain.
Ice climbers like Chu and wobbles.
Link like Zarelid

Xela

Smash Rookie
First time i played was with Fox and shiek.

Thats until i watched videos of characters i thought were bad,
Isai's CF
Taj mewtwo - I love forward and Taj's team battle ^^
Aniki's Link.

All so good and i never though that these characters could be used well.

GOTM

Smash Champion
i started fox before i knew how pros played him. the only cool thing i knew was how to shinespike people, lol.

but after i knew...i'd say m2k's fox inspired me the most. its cool that i get to play him sometimes now and play the guy that made my fox what it is, lol

Teh Lightning

Smash Rookie
I was. Gimpyfish showed me that Bowser can own just like other characters, along with Bum/CJ for DK, and T!mmy for Kirby. Thank you guys, I love to win with these characters around my friends. Hopefully someday I will get to play some of you guys in Brawl ;)

*Just to be sure about being on topic* Who thinks that Lucas' attacks look pretty good from what they've seen in those pictures?
i was inspired by Ken. i have never seen one of his vids but i envy his mad skillz. Not to mention RPGsFTW irl and True Fool irl. i would be made of fail without them. thanks guys.

clowsui

Smash Legend
i was inspired by bs and ken to play falco and marth, pc for fox (say what you want, i know it's so "stereotypical")

to go off topic, anyone who doesn't say that isai inspired them to play falcon is a *******

abit_rusty

Smash Lord
NNID
Rontuaru
3DS FC
2895-8974-0662
Started with falco, got ***** by advanced techs, saw Isai ----> ****** with CF to this day.

also it helped that I used CF in smash64, really liked him back then...and Isai awakened that desire to play as him once more >.>

cultofrubik

Smash Journeyman
Lulz guys. I was inspired to play Fox because of Shined Blind back in the day. Thank you Zelgadis, lulz.
Then I found the King's Jigglypuff. Then I found Drephen's Sheik. The last two remain my heros. Korean DJ, Captain Jack, and this one kid I met from Maine kept the inspiration for Sheik to this day. Oh, right. Wes is my Samus inspiration. Kizzu "mastering the Ken combo" inspires my Marth.

But because Drew's Sheik is just too awesome, I main the cross-dresser. ;P

lulz Shined Blind

~cult

Top Bottom