• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Who can play an instrument?

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter
Well let's see..

Back in intermediate I played a bit of the flute, I was forced to learn I did mange to play it but forgot after a year.

I used to play a Harmonica I used to have, I was quite good at it, not surprising though, though after a couple of years, my skills with it have become rusted.

That's pretty much it for me, I've always had an interest to play an electric guitar since I really like the electric guitar themes and sounds, they are amazing.

Fantasia

BRoomer
BRoomer
Switch FC
SW-3476-8294-6601
I play bassoon (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bassoon) in my university band/orchestra. I've been playing since 2001... so this makes it my 8th or 9th year?...I think somewhere in between..

The school gives me a music scholarship, so I have to play in certain ensembles, but even if I weren't obligated, I think I would still sign up to play with them. I'm actually dreading the day that I graduate because I won't have a dedicated group to play with, and since I don't own my own bassoon, it'd be hard to audition and perform as a substitute in my local orchestras.

In orchestra, we're currently putting together a pair of operas by Puccini: Gianni Schicchi, and Suor Angelica. Gianni Schicchi is a lot of fun. The woodwind parts are really interesting, and the opera as a whole is pretty comedic, but I feel Suor Angelica will have a greater impact. The whole story is incredibly sad, the scoring is so well done, and the music itself gives off such an atmosphere of dammnation. For those of you interested, here's a link to the finale http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KwjfEqFBFEg and the wikipedia synopsis http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suor_Angelica#Synopsis

jamlosingthegame

Smash Lord
NNID
jamlosingthegame
I wish I could play an instrument. The closest I have are plastic ones. I have an electric piano, but I never really get around to learning it. I would like to play the drums. I wish I had time and money (and I wish I weren't lazy).

the melon!!!!!

Smash Lord
WilkesBarre-Scranton, PA/State College, PA
3DS FC
0963-1716-1141
I've been playing drums for about 3 years now. I'm told I'm really good, considering I taught myself by playing screamo/deathcore/alkalinetrio by ear :chuckle:. I'm far from being anything special, but hopefully the band I just got in can help me get some organized practice and songwriting skills. One of these days, I'll try and get a video up so you can see my various flaws!

:036:

Nintendude

Smash Hero
I play the piano, flute, and saxophone (alto, tenor, bari). I learned a tiny bit of recorder in like 2nd grade but don't remember anything anymore.

Sarayu

Smash Rookie
I've played drums for about 8+ years now and have been singing for about 5 or so with a professional vocal coach. I am also currently learning the piano.

I've been in numerous bands playing the drums. Unfortunately I have recordings of our songs. It was all just for fun anyways.

vZakat

Half Genie
I've played the trumpet for about 6 years, drums and other percussion for 3 years, and piano for 2. I tried to learn guitar for about a month but it got boring to me. I've also been singing since I was young.

Although I enjoy playing music, I find it much more enjoyable to compose music.

RaynEX

Colonel RTSD
I've been playing the piano for 10 years and the flute for 8. Flute and Alto. Saxophone have the same finger positioning (80% identical you could say), and play at around roughly the same octave range. I switched to Sax pretty easily and have been doing that for a couple of years.

Right now I'm learning the ins and outs of the giant complexity I've come to know as a "drum set". Learning to break away from muscle memory and motor functions when it comes to rhythm, and making it so each limb operates freely and in accordance with the modalities and formation of a beat rather than with each other. (aka Latin, Funk bass timings)

P.C. Jona

Smash Master
I've played drums for about 8+ years now and have been singing for about 5 or so with a professional vocal coach. I am also currently learning the piano.

I've been in numerous bands playing the drums. Unfortunately I have recordings of our songs. It was all just for fun anyways.
drums ???? fight me

http://www.youtube.com/jonaaadrums#p/u/2/hc92wd84yP0 oh the pic in the back is me when i was like idk 2 i think lol

i've been playing the drums for 15+ years

yup

yo sup raynex

ill teach you drums ;]

im gonna start doing video lessons on youtube soon, check them out

im like a master at latin and funk/gospel music so definitely if you ever need help let me know and ill hook it up

Bassoonist

Smash Master
NNID
WoodwindsRock
3DS FC
1032-1351-5240
I have played the bassoon for almost 3 and a half years, the clarinet for 5 years, and the trumpet for 10 years.

Never looking back to brass instruments. lol. The bassoon has helped me become a much better musician than I was before, and also really helped with Music Theory. (Learning bass clef became a lot easier when I had to learn it for an instrument. lol) Trumpet only confused me because I was stupid at the time. Guess I really can't blame it on the trumpet then, now can I? >_<

Anyway, I still have a lot of work to do to make up for how incredibly stupid and lazy I was in high school and earlier. In fact the word "stupid" just quite doesn't do justice for how idiotic I really was. I singlehandedly held myself back a great deal by fooling myself into thinking that I had no talent and that "practice will not make up for it." I NEVER practiced all of that much, I never practiced as much as I should have, and yeah it's a long story. But I know it was all in the mindset.

Although the sad thing is that it took until mid 2009 to realize that I was the one in the wrong. XD

MisterDrBob

Smash Apprentice
Is Mayonnaise an instrument?
lol, no Patrick.

-------

I've been playing Piano for 12 years, Clarinet for 7 (but I haven't played since last year), Guitar for almost 2, I can play anything that's similar to a keyboard like a xylophone, and I played recorder in fifth grade like just about everyone else it seems.

Piano and guitar are definitely my favorite. You're not limited to playing one note at a time, and it's the ones that I can be most expressive with.

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings
drums ???? fight me

http://www.youtube.com/jonaaadrums#p/u/2/hc92wd84yP0 oh the pic in the back is me when i was like idk 2 i think lol

i've been playing the drums for 15+ years

yup

yo sup raynex

ill teach you drums ;]

im gonna start doing video lessons on youtube soon, check them out

im like a master at latin and funk/gospel music so definitely if you ever need help let me know and ill hook it up
The lord knows that Ive never seen the attraction to the drums... I don't get it. What's so special about it. I mean yes, it is fundamental to have one of these guys in a band, but alone... I dunno, maybe its just my bias of having a horrible beat, as proven by rock band XD

AlcyoNite

Smash Champion
The lord knows that Ive never seen the attraction to the drums... I don't get it. What's so special about it. I mean yes, it is fundamental to have one of these guys in a band, but alone... I dunno, maybe its just my bias of having a horrible beat, as proven by rock band XD
have u BEEN in a marching band?

or at least seen drumline?

P.C. Jona

Smash Master
the drums are ridiculous

imo its the greatest instrument ever

the feeling of doing something crazy and nailing it on time

the feeling of messing up and laughing it off

idk its crazy

you gotta try it

AlcyoNite

Smash Champion
the drums are ridiculous

imo its the greatest instrument ever

the feeling of doing something crazy and nailing it on time

the feeling of messing up and laughing it off

idk its crazy

you gotta try it
so jona diaper is a percussionist?

i knew there was something off about him...

TJ Infinat

Smash Ace
raeford or chapel hill depends on the time of year
Sup, I'm TJ.

I play. . mostly guitar, specializing in Bass and/or rhythm guitar though.

started on recorder when I was in 5th grade and messed around ocassionally with pianos when I could. 7th grade saw me upgrade to the clarinet, and 8th grade saw me go to the bass clarinet.
I switched to Contrabass Clarinet in 9th grade, and joined marching band *can't march with a contra, so I was in the pit crew, with a bass guitar*

From then on I tried everything I could. My roommate has a keyboard and a violin, so I'm trying to learn those.

tl;dr
- Guitar - 7 or 8 years
- Clarinet - 7th-11th grade
- Pretty good at beatboxing if you can respect that.

I've experimented with
-Trumpet
-Mellophone
-Flute
-Trombone - actually owned one at some point
-Piano
-Drums

edit: Sup Crystalnite. I had a feeling you would be here.

Smash Journeyman
Akai MPC1000.

Well, I have one. But I used it once and put in my garage ever since.

Super_Sonic8677

Smash Lord
Uh I've messed around with the Recorder, Harmonica, 4 hole Ocarina lol, piano, and currently call myself a guitarist.

I've stuck pretty well with guitar, both acoustic and electric the past 2 or 3 years even though I suck, especially compared to the sheer awesome that is the OP. .___.;

Fantasia

BRoomer
BRoomer
Switch FC
SW-3476-8294-6601
I have a friend who wants to compose a piece for a viola ensemble and title it Violation. :joyful:
On a related note (lol!), my sister also plays viola.

Shök

Smash Champion
I've always wanted to know how to play the piano.

Any tips so I could start learning? :p

Top Bottom