• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Which underrated character will be the next to break through?

Cryptic C62

Smash Cadet
There are several characters which are used by many smashers at the competitive level. Among these are Marth, Sheik, Captain Falcon, Fox, and Falco.

Other characters are only known to be used competitively by a few people (or even just one person) because they are more difficult to use effectively. Among these are Jigglypuff (HBox / Mango), Peach (Armada), Pikachu (Axe), Mewtwo (Taj), and Ice Climbers (Wobbles).

Then there are the characters that don't seem to ever make it very far in any tournaments. Among these are Zelda, Ness, Kirby, and Mr. Game & Watch.

It's possible that the characters in the last group are just plain bad. However, it's also possible that no one has figured out how to use them effectively... yet.

Which character will be the next to shatter the metagame and break through to the competitive level?

Wake

Smash Master
I kind of think that Jigglypuff has already broken through, but I would like to see Peach, Doc, Ganon, and Samus to also. Kirby and the like might be asking for too much though haha

Cryptic C62

Smash Cadet
Just for clarification, the characters and players mentioned in the first two groups were not meant to be a comprehensive list, but instead a small sample to give the reader an idea of what we're discussing. In some cases, as Wake has pointed out, even the placement of a given character within those two groups is debatable.

Bing

Smash Master
A lot of the character mentioned in the original post have already broken threw. Though the one thats most likely to kick down the door i would say Doc or Ganon....

Comrade

Smash Journeyman
I want ganon. I really want ganon. Kage, where you at? Actually, **** that, you better not be on the internet. You better be training. In an igloo. Eating nails for breakfast. Without milk.

Also, when robots start playing smash in the distant future, yoshi will reign supreme.

Klaw

Smash Cadet
Falcon will take his rightful place in top tier.

Not above Fox tho. That's impossible.

DRD

Smash Lord
Shroomed has been wrecking people, would love to see more Doc players personally

Though I also love what vman has been doing with yoshi, mindblowing

Bones0

Smash Legend
Doc and Pikachu could break into top tier methinks.

Ness could break into mid-tier. Also, bair train definitely DOES work with Ness. lol Half his metagame seems to be spamming DJC bairs at mach speed. XD

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
WHY?! SO YOU CAN cHAiN GrAB HiM TO DEAtH?!
Actually, it's because I can't. Magus proved he can jump and escape at like 11 depending on port priority.

Fox's D-throw is probably more of a pressing issue, but nobody does that.

Dire was awesome.

JPOBS

Smash Hero
what are people talking about ganon/doc/pika for? those chars have(are) already made breakthroughs

i wanna see game and watch or yoshi (both)

Cactuar

El Fuego
BRoomer
It's true. I don't think my GaW has ever been CG'd to death by a Sheik. Escape is inevitable. Unavoidable. Sexual. Wait... I mean... nvm.

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
Cactuar I should d-throw your GaW.

And giggle as you jump out of my silly regrab attempt.

And then I'll joke that all I want is to get my hands on your body.

I'll be serious.

<3

OrangeSodaGuy

Smash Journeyman
I'm really hoping more players start owning with Doc/Mario, Luigi, and Donkey Kong.
It would also be neat to see Pikachu in action more often.

Most of all though (though it may be highly unlikely), I'd love to see a **** Ness. It's bad enough that his game is so underplayed, and even though he's not great, he still seems to have a lot more options than the likes of Kirby and Bowser. I could see him breaking at least bottom if more people picked him up.

Then again, I'm new. What do I know?

Rykard

Smash Ace
DJ and WK need to play bowser more in tournament or at least get recorded more. Also, we haven't really seen a DK since Bum and i know PKM and Mexican are beast but they never get to travel much from what i hear.

The thing is that all the great players we see nowadays are ones that get to travel the most so there maybe in fact a large amount of people that main these characters that never get noticed cause they can't go to tournaments and get good enough to place where people will start to recognize them and the characters

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
its going to be roy. i'll show you all

Oracle

Smash Master
Ganon is definitely the most likely at this point, especially with players like kage showing mad potential

Top Bottom