• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What's stopping Sonic from getting more characters?

Quillion

Smash Hero
I'm sure they'll break the "Assist Trophies can't be DLC" pattern someday. But maybe not during Ultimate.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I'm sure they'll break the "Assist Trophies can't be DLC" pattern someday. But maybe not during Ultimate.
Since they already broke the Spirit barrier, I'm expecting for them to break the Assist Trophy barrier as well since most of the Assist Trophies have playable character like expressions when they're hit or grabbed. Plus certain Assist Trophies are turned off in curtain stages so why is that suddenly a thing in Ultimate when it wasn't in Brawl or Smash 4? Probably because Sakurai and the team had the thought of promoting at least one Assist Trophy. But how can the same character be a Assist Trophy and a playable character you may ask? Well, they can just turn their Assist Trophy off when someone or a CPU is playing as them. It's not far fetched as Robin still has Chrom in his Final Smash and he's playable now. It's possible for a character to be both a Assist Trophy/cameo and a playable character.

Lenidem

Smash Lord
Could also just delete the Assist Trophy from the game. I doubt anyone's gonna cry about the Shadow trophy being removed if it means he can be playable instead
Why delete it when you can just deactivate it when Shadow is being played?

Depressed Gengar

Hana Is Best Girl
Making the Assist Trophy Shadow's spine lines yellow and calling it a Shadow Android would be the best situation. Shadow would get to be playable, the Assist Trophy would get to stay, and there's no jarring "Shadow's both a playable character AND an Assist Trophy!" nonsense.

UserKev

Smash Champion
I really wish Big The Cat had the criteria to have been a random Nintendo character from an obscure Nintendo IP. You can do almost anything with his fishing rod, adding to more Smash heavy weights.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I really wish Big The Cat had the criteria to have been a random Nintendo character from an obscure Nintendo IP. You can do almost anything with his fishing rod, adding to more Smash heavy weights.
At least he still would be easier to include than Waluigi, since he's about as popular as him; the main difference is that he actually had a few major roles in mainline games.

Janx_uwu

Smash Champion
Writing Team
My own two cents on Shadow's AT, I think they could easily leave it as it is. A Bomberman Mii Fighter doesn't prevent the AT from coming out. Though I guess they could just say it's an android-makes sense, since Shadow Androids have less polygons than the real guy, and Assist Trophies have less polygons than fighters.
I unironically love Big and would love to see him in Smash. He's a great contrast to the main characters-adventuring heroes, and then there's just this everyday middle-aged cat that likes to fish.

Otoad64

Smash Lord
Since they already broke the Spirit barrier, I'm expecting for them to break the Assist Trophy barrier as well since most of the Assist Trophies have playable character like expressions when they're hit or grabbed. Plus certain Assist Trophies are turned off in curtain stages so why is that suddenly a thing in Ultimate when it wasn't in Brawl or Smash 4? Probably because Sakurai and the team had the thought of promoting at least one Assist Trophy. But how can the same character be a Assist Trophy and a playable character you may ask? Well, they can just turn their Assist Trophy off when someone or a CPU is playing as them. It's not far fetched as Robin still has Chrom in his Final Smash and he's playable now. It's possible for a character to be both a Assist Trophy/cameo and a playable character.
the reason some assist trophies are turned off in certain stages is because those stages have those characters in other places (knuckles is in the background of green hill for example) which is, if you ask me is evidence that they won't be promoted

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
the reason some assist trophies are turned off in certain stages is because those stages have those characters in other places (knuckles is in the background of green hill for example) which is, if you ask me is evidence that they won't be promoted
Yeah but actually, I think it could also be a sign that Assist Trophy promotions could be a thing too. Why is this suddenly a feature in Ultimate when it wasn't in Brawl or Smash 4?

Technomage

Smash Champion
But how can the same character be a Assist Trophy and a playable character you may ask? Well, they can just turn their Assist Trophy off when someone or a CPU is playing as them.
Plus, there are characters, like Spring Man, who have clones, like Springtron, that can replace their Assist Trophy if their fighter is being used.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Sonic, Shadow, Knuckles, Amy, and Tails would cover all the bases with Eggman there as well.

We should not rest until Big the Cat is playable.
And I won't rest until Blaze is playable. Zavok will probably get in no matter what tho, but I wouldn't mind it since we'd get Bowser comparisons.

Oracle Link

Smash Master
I'm fine with the modern design. I think it lends itself better to the squash-and-stretch animations Sonic has than the classic design would have, though I think classic would still work fine. Would be nice to update his victory theme to not be from 06, though.
I mean Sonic 06 was the death of Sonic because the game was bad No you know at the end when they reset the Timeline this Brought Mephiles into Segas Office (at the begin of the meta era) and he convinced them that if they continue making Sonic Games that try to be more the world will turn on them and send Omega to kill them😂😭

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Sonic, Shadow, Knuckles, Amy, and Tails would cover all the bases with Eggman there as well.

We should not rest until Big the Cat is playable.
I think all Sonic really needs in the roster is Sonic, Tails, Dr. Eggman, Knuckles, and Shadow. Everyone else is less of a priority and should take time to get in. Tails, Eggman, Knuckles, and Shadow should all be in by Smash 7 at the earliest.

Oracle Link

Smash Master
____________________hi Silver from Sonic__________________________Hi Trunks from Dragon Ball

Janx_Uwu dont kill me pleaaase!

UserKev

Smash Champion
Honestly, Silver and Blaze would be the most pointless characters to add. As harsh it may sound, Chaos, Rouge and E102 are the last Sonic characters you can throw in Smash. Big The Cat at least has that joke factor and Amy is very bottom of the barrel.

Oracle Link

Smash Master
Honestly, Silver and Blaze would be the most pointless characters to add. As harsh it may sound, Chaos, Rouge and E102 are the last Sonic characters you can throw in Smash. Big The Cat at least has that joke factor and Amy is very bottom of the barrel.
Amy is not at the bottom i mean think about it even if you like her Elise makes -100% sense to be a fIghter in Smash
her final Smash blowing her attacks getting Captured/Talking!

UserKev

Smash Champion
Amy is not at the bottom i mean think about it even if you like her Elise makes -100% sense to be a fIghter in Smash
her final Smash blowing her attacks getting Captured/Talking!
Amy is bottom of the barrel as in, she's the last Sonic character you can add just off the fact she's been around for a long time. She has no other merits in terms of wants tho. Amy is a more or less random pick.

Oracle Link

Smash Master
Amy is bottom of the barrel as in, she's the last Sonic character you can add just off the fact she's been around for a long time. She has no other merits in terms of wants tho. Amy is a more or less random pick.
I mean what about Cream?

Janx_uwu

Smash Champion
Writing Team
Honestly, Silver and Blaze would be the most pointless characters to add
I agree with Silver (as much as it hurts me to say it), but Blaze is one of the few Sonic characters that all fans seem to like. So I can't imagine her inclusion would be terribly pointless.

UserKev

Smash Champion
I agree with Silver (as much as it hurts me to say it), but Blaze is one of the few Sonic characters that all fans seem to like. So I can't imagine her inclusion would be terribly pointless.
I don't mean to keep dunking on your favorites, dude. I don't think Tails is necessary. He's an assist at best. I don't really know Blaze, so maybe I'm bias.

Janx_uwu

Smash Champion
Writing Team
I don't mean to keep dunking on your favorites, dude. I don't think Tails is necessary. He's an assist at best. I don't really know Blaze, so maybe I'm bias.
I know. I agree Silver and Blaze should wait in line for a while-but maybe Blaze can have some priority there. I don't see her getting in as a second character, but the third or fourth, sure.
____________________hi Silver from Sonic__________________________Hi Trunks from Dragon Ball

Janx_Uwu dont kill me pleaaase!
He was directly based off of Trunks anyways so idc.

Otoad64

Smash Lord
honestly rouge is bottom of the barrel if anything, especially because she would probably be a clone of tails or knuckles. Tails though is 100% neccesary imo, he's the most logical addition after eggman

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Amy isn't at the bottom of the barrel, I would say she's right behind the big 5 due to just her iconic status alone being Sonic's gal. But yeah, there would be other Sonic characters that would be more fun to play as than her. But ignoring her would be like ignoring Peach for Mario.

UserKev

Smash Champion
honestly rouge is bottom of the barrel if anything, especially because she would probably be a clone of tails or knuckles. Tails though is 100% neccesary imo, he's the most logical addition after eggman
I said that. Amy is bottom of the barrel, but doesn't single her out. After Amy, you can still sneak in Rouge like Chaos and E102. Chaos, Rouge and E102 are in the extra characters zone.

Otoad64

Smash Lord
I said that. Amy is bottom of the barrel, but doesn't single her out. After Amy, you can still sneak in Rouge like Chaos and E102. Chaos, Rouge and E102 are in the extra characters zone.
oh, I thought bottom of the barrel meant that amy is the last sonic character to add

also silver and blaze make way more sense than chaos, he may as well be a one off!

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Honestly, I think there are other Sonic characters that would be at the lower part of the barrel than Rouge. She isn't that important or interesting, but she's definitely in the top 15. Also, she definitely wouldn't be a Echo or semi-clone of Tails or Knuckles.

Top Bottom