• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What's stopping Sonic from getting more characters?

Otoad64

Smash Lord
Tails, Knuckles, Shadow, and Eggman are the four most prominent characters in the franchise after Sonic. Could Blaze, Silver, Marine, or Cream work? Sure, but we need to draw the line somewhere.
I mean yeah, but I was just thinking about it, also I would argue amy is more prominent then shadow, shadow's just more popular

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
everyone talks about the same four sonic characters but no one talks about how basically every major sonic character could work in smash bros
Sonic has about as much of a colorful cast as Mario's. But Tails, Eggman, Knuckles, and Shadow are like Sonic's Luigi, Bowser, Yoshi, and Wario if that makes sense. That is why Sonic fans are going for those characters first.

Depressed Gengar

Hana Is Best Girl
everyone talks about the same four sonic characters but no one talks about how basically every major sonic character could work in smash bros
There's not really much of a point of talking about those other characters when with just Sonic, Eggman, Tails, and maybe even Shadow, Sonic would be good for ages as far as characters go. At that point, it'd be much better to focus on improving Sonic's stage and music representation.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
There's not really much of a point of talking about those other characters when with just Sonic, Eggman, Tails, and maybe even Shadow, Sonic would be good for ages as far as characters go. At that point, it'd be much better to focus on improving Sonic's stage and music representation.
Don't forget Knuckles.

UserKev

Smash Champion
I would absolutely love Knuckles, so much potential to be one of the most refreshingly independent echoes. Tails is bland to me in terms of play style, Amy or Big The Cat would be far more interesting play style wise. Even Shadow, I see as being more independent play style, which I'm also not impressed by what he'd bring to the table.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I would absolutely love Knuckles, so much potential to be one of the most refreshingly independent echoes. Tails is bland to me in terms of play style, Amy or Big The Cat would be far more interesting play style wise. Even Shadow, I see as being more independent play style, which I'm also not impressed by what he'd bring to the table.
I know right? Knuckles would be a blast to play as.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
No, even Knuckles would be really unnecessary. Eggman and Tails would be enough character wise. Again, at that point it'd be better to give Sonic better stage representation than just Green Hill Zone and "Green Hill Zone number 9001".
I would say Knuckles is about as important as Shadow at least. But I agree.

Quillion

Smash Hero
No, even Knuckles would be really unnecessary. Eggman and Tails would be enough character wise. Again, at that point it'd be better to give Sonic better stage representation than just Green Hill Zone and "Green Hill Zone number 9001".
Frankly, I don't think people will mind if Sonic suddenly gets three additional characters. It seems to be agreed that Sonic deserves more characters than the other third-party franchises.

That said, I think Sonic's best hope is getting those three additional characters for next game's base roster.

Otoad64

Smash Lord
Frankly, I don't think people will mind if Sonic suddenly gets three additional characters. It seems to be agreed that Sonic deserves more characters than the other third-party franchises.

That said, I think Sonic's best hope is getting those three additional characters for next game's base roster.
I feel like it's more likely we get one sonic character (probably eggman) for dlc and 2 for next game

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I feel like it's more likely we get one sonic character (probably eggman) for dlc and 2 for next game
I can live with that, Tails and Knuckles are already Mii'ed, and Shadow has an AT, while poor Silver is still running around for eternity.

Funny you mention it, I made a support thread for another Eggman badnik a few days ago, Egg Pawn. I'd very much welcome Motobug as well, I just think Egg Pawn would be more interesting.
That's fair enough, I was mainly saying so because of the Global Roster positions here:

Some good news, guys. Despite Tails and Shadow having significantly higher post counts for their threads on this forum (Knuckles' thread is 3 pages long and dead), I found a place where Eggman is polling ahead of Tails and Shadow.

globalsmashroster.com

Pawn apparently didn't get on that.

Last edited:

Janx_uwu

Smash Champion
Writing Team
I'd like to see Eggman in the DLC and Tails in the base roster of the next game, with Shadow as a semi-clone.
poor Silver is still running around for eternity.
That's the one thing I think Silver has in his favor for becoming a fighter. Why has he remained there since 2008 despite there being other more popular, more relevant Sonic characters? Why would Silver even be running around in Green Hill if he's from the future? It's probably just the stage team not caring, but I have to have one little hope for him.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I'd like to see Eggman in the DLC and Tails in the base roster of the next game, with Shadow as a semi-clone.

That's the one thing I think Silver has in his favor for becoming a fighter. Why has he remained there since 2008 despite there being other more popular, more relevant Sonic characters? Why would Silver even be running around in Green Hill if he's from the future? It's probably just the stage team not caring, but I have to have one little hope for him.
That's fair, I'm still vainly hoping that Pauline becomes playable during the rest of the Mario 35th celebration, since she's in New Donk's stage 50% of the time.

yeah, I even made my own moveset for him. I just doubt Sakurai will make him a fully original character. I'd love to be proven wrong though.
To be entirely fair, "original" is a broad definition, so I wouldn't mind either outcome. :ultisabelle:

He'd definitely have his own original animations, for sure.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Yeah, I wouldn't mind him keeping the majority of Sonic's moves, but for example, Sonic's fair would just seem very out of character for Shadow to do if he used the same animation. An Axe Kick would probably work better.
This is why I think a semi-original approach would work. Plus it cuts down on dev time, since many :ultsonic: characters have similar builds anyway.

I can definitely see Shadow use his motorcycle for one of his specials, at least. That is an iconic element for him. :ultwario:

Last edited:

Quillion

Smash Hero
Yeah, I wouldn't mind him keeping the majority of Sonic's moves, but for example, Sonic's fair would just seem very out of character for Shadow to do if he used the same animation. An Axe Kick would probably work better.
An Axe Kick fair (like in Sonic Battle) is what Sonic should have had in the first place.

Janx_uwu

Smash Champion
Writing Team
An Axe Kick fair (like in Sonic Battle) is what Sonic should have had in the first place.
Exactly. In fact a decent part of my Shadow moveset is that, moves Sonic should’ve had and giving them to Shadow. Kinda makes me want to do a Sonic rework.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
People just love to dunk on Knuckles, its amazing. Noticed how Shadow is still honorable mentioned despite being an assist? Shadow gets a pass for EVERYthing when he's basically SSJ4 Sonic.
Assists in general are seen as likely for Ultimate, even though there's no sign of Sak and the staff feeling inclined to upgrade summonable NPCs that already have a 3D model (albeit not as detailed). It would take almost as much work as :ultsteve:.
Yeah, you can tell I'm bitter from being naysayed all the time...:dk:

Last edited:

7NATOR

Smash Master
Assists in general are seen as likely for Ultimate, even though there's no sign of Sak and the staff feeling inclined to upgrade summonable NPCs that already have a 3D model (albeit not as detailed). It would take almost as much work as :ultsteve:.
Yeah, you can tell I'm bitter from being naysayed all the time...:dk:
I Mean, if anything, Upgrading Assist should take less work than even a Regular character, since They already have Models they could touch up (Like they did with the Bomberman Costume) and I assume they have Rigging and Skeletons done.

Quillion

Smash Hero
I just had a thought: everyone here agrees that we need a Sonic character. But... could that be our greatest weakness?

Very unified character fandoms such as Bandana Waddle Dee, Geno, or even Rex can band together and focus on requesting that character. Other than the nebulous idea of having a Sonic character, Sonic fans can't exactly agree on what Sonic character that is (Sonic fans not agreeing on anything, like that's new). The individual fandoms of each Sonic character could be cannibalizing one another, creating a situation where no one wins.

7NATOR

Smash Master
I just had a thought: everyone here agrees that we need a Sonic character. But... could that be our greatest weakness?

Very unified character fandoms such as Bandana Waddle Dee, Geno, or even Rex can band together and focus on requesting that character. Other than the nebulous idea of having a Sonic character, Sonic fans can't exactly agree on what Sonic character that is (Sonic fans not agreeing on anything, like that's new). The individual fandoms of each Sonic character could be cannibalizing one another, creating a situation where no one wins.
That's a Thought I had too, and I think is a Problem potentially shared with the Zelda Fandom

I think ARMS surprisingly might show though that this Division might not be much of a Problem, since they chose Min-Min among other Popular Potential characters.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238

I mean, I admit I had my preferences, they came in this order:
Metal Sonic > Tails > Shadow > Knuckles > Eggman > Amy > Team Chaotix > Blaze > the rest.
(Seriously, am In the only Metal fan?).

But, when it comes down to it, right NOW? I want them all equally if it means getting a 2nd Sonic character.
I want Metal Sonic as much as Eggman, and as much as Captain Whisker, for example, for the sake of a 2nd Sonic rep.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
NGL, I think Metal makes more sense as a Sonic echo than Shadow, who needs his Chaos Spear and Chaos Teleport at minimum.
I get that the most prominent image of Metal is just a robot Sonic with all of his abilities (probably thanks to the OVA and maybe SA1).

But Metal has electricity, forcefields, the original boost, black barriers, purple orb dark abilities, claws, finger lightsabers, goat lasers... On top of Sonic's usual repertoire of moves, yeah.
They could make him an echo, but like with Shadow, I don't think that would make him justice.

But I get people would much easily settle with an echo Metal than an echo Shadow.

Last edited:

HARBlNGER

Smash Apprentice
This character probably wouldn't be allowed as a mii gunner costume but here me out; can Sakurai add comic characters like Whisper the Wolf in Smash? I mean we have the Advent Children Cloud design, who first appeared in a videogame movie, so would it be an issue if we had comic characters based from a videogame IP in Smash? Correct me if this is a fair comparison or not but I just wanted to make a case for a post-Sonic Forces Sonic character from the IDW comics in Smash.

Also wanted to point out Whisper's playable in two mobile Sonic games so technically she's already playable in Sonic games......if that actually counts for something. :laugh:

Last edited:

UndonePuzzle

Smash Rookie
NNID
ProfLayton001
I'd be open to another Sonic character. Not really a priority for me though. That said, not many Nintendo characters have been DLC for Ultimate. Is Final Fantasy the only example of an extra character being added from an already-represented franchise? If so, this could be a one-time thing.

Sakurai always goes for characters with unique attributes, probably why a lot of Sonic characters are Mii costumes. If I could tip my hat in the ring, Eggman would certainly bring something new to the table. Knuckles and Shadow would play far too similarly to Sonic, Tails at a stretch could be different. Maybe go for something insane like Big the Cat? :p

UserKev

Smash Champion
Knuckles is just red dreadlocks Sonic.
But this doesn't put off Shadow's more unoriginal streak against Knuckles, who debuted before Shadow. Sonic, Tails and Knuckles are the Mario, Luigi and Wario while Shadow is lucky to be in Waluigi's foot steps. Not hating on Shadow tho, but he's clearly just made to be cool that would easily appeal to anyone.

This is why I'm so happy Knuckles has got an assist that says something because his potential is sooo obvious, it hurts to think about it.

Last edited:

Janx_uwu

Smash Champion
Writing Team
But this doesn't put off Shadow's more unoriginal streak against Knuckles, who debuted before Shadow. Sonic, Tails and Knuckles are the Mario, Luigi and Wario while Shadow is lucky to be in Waluigi's foot steps. Not hating on Shadow tho, but he's clearly just made to be cool that would easily appeal to anyone.

This is why I'm so happy Knuckles has got an assist that says something because his potential is sooo obvious, it hurts to think about it.
The reason I said that about Knuckles wasn't because I hate the character-he's one of my top five favorites in the series. Just don't expect me to not retaliate when you diss Shadow's design. I agree Knuckles would be awesome in Smash.

UserKev

Smash Champion
The reason I said that about Knuckles wasn't because I hate the character-he's one of my top five favorites in the series. Just don't expect me to not retaliate when you diss Shadow's design. I agree Knuckles would be awesome in Smash.
It wasn't a diss. Its a commonly used trope that people just can't get enough of. Shadow's design is without a doubt badass and he's actually a more interesting character, but Knuckles just has that Smash spice and attitude.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Is Final Fantasy the only example of an extra character being added from an already-represented franchise? If so, this could be a one-time thing.
No. Richter already broke that barrier as the first secondary 3rd party rep. But Sephiroth through broke the fan rule that we couldn't get any 3rd party secondary non Echo characters. Richter was the first being a Echo and Sephiroth was the first unique non Echo secondary 3rd party rep.

Top Bottom