• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What's stopping Sonic from getting more characters?

Oracle Link

Smash Master
My dream moveset would have him be like Pokemon Trainer, and he can switch from the Egg Mobile to the Egg Walker to the Egg Dragoon and back again.
But Egg dragoon is really big so you probably need to shrink it

Last edited:

UserKev

Smash Champion
Honestly, if I were selecting Sonic reps, Sonic, Eggman, Knuckles and Shadow would be my picks. You don't really need to add Tails, who can easily be an assist. Shadow would be amazing as the last final reveal rep that'll work as a sort of echo from Sephiroth's trailer. Imagine his reveal trailer with Sonic, Tails, Eggman and Knuckles, who Shadow easily overpowers, leading up to Sonic.

Otoad64

Smash Lord
I would do sonic, tails and eggman because they have the most consistant attendance in the sonic series.after that I would do knuckles, then amy, then shadow. and that would pretty much cover the main sonic cast, say for metal sonic I guess

StrangeKitten

Smash Lord
I have to make a annoucment i never finished a sonic game! (i mean theyre relativly difficult)
I haven't tried the classic games since I was like, 13 but I never beat them. Always ran out of lives and ran out of motivation upon having to replay everything I had already beat once I got a game over. This was before the updated versions came along that include save points.

I have, however, beat SA and SA2 multiple times. I find there's nothing that causes a ton of deaths in those games, and you always get to start over from where you left off. So I recommend them, and if you find you're running into a lot of trouble, you can even grind for lives in the earlier stages pretty easily. Just make sure you pick up Knuckles' Air Necklace in Aquatic Mine in SA2 before you play the Last Story.

I mean heck, I've always been pretty bad at video games until my time with the FNaF series helped me hone my reaction skills. And I'm still not great at them. If I could beat SA and SA2 back then, I don't think it would be too difficult for others to do so.

Last edited:

Oracle Link

Smash Master
I haven't tried the classic games since I was like, 13 but I never beat them. Always ran out of lives and ran out of motivation upon having to replay everything I had already beat once I got a game over. This was before the updated versions came along that include save points.

I have, however, beat SA and SA2 multiple times. I find there's nothing that causes a ton of deaths in those games, and you always get to start over from where you left off. So I recommend them, and if you find you're running into a lot of trouble, you can even grind for lives in the earlier stages pretty easily. Just make sure you pick up Knuckles' Air Necklace in Aquatic Mine in SA2 before you play the Last Story.
i do play them on emulator allows me to quicksave😎!

i think Sonic adventure 1+2 get Far to much hate i mean theyre not perfect but Very Good and i played Nintendo games that are slightly worse
for Example Zelda Phantom Hourglass People talking About Filler in Adventure !!! the only dumb part is big (Amy is just more Marioy) which is 1/8 of the game Phantom Hourglas is 3-4.5/10 filler

Last edited:

StrangeKitten

Smash Lord
i do play them on emulator allows me to quicksave😎!

i think Sonic adventure 1+2 get Far to much hate i mean theyre not perfect but Very Good and i played Nintendo games that are slightly worse
for Example Zelda Phantom Hourglass People talking About Filler in Adventure !!! the only dumb part is big (Amy is just more Marioy) which is 1/8 of the game Phantom Hourglas is 3-4.5/10 filler
And once you get the fishing down, Big's campaign is really short

Oracle Link

Smash Master
Confession-I've never beaten Sonic Adventure fully because I got so frustrated on Big's levels.
If you know how to emulate you can play the other five storys then get a save from the internet and go straight to last story

If they make a Remake they could easily make Big optional i hope Sonic adventure doesent get the FF7 "Remake"(its a Reimaging) treatment!

Janx_uwu

Smash Champion
Writing Team
If you know how to emulate you can play the other five storys then get a save from the internet and go straight to last story
I can't believe I never thought of that! Thanks!
If they make a Remake they could easily make Big optional i hope Sonic adventure doesent get the FF7 "Remake"(its a Reimaging) treatment!
Making Big a sidequest would be a really cool thing to introduce in a sequel. I also hope they bring in Yuji Naka for some parts-it would be amazing to see how he originally envisioned Sonic Adventure without the hardware limitations.

StrangeKitten

Smash Lord
Confession-I've never beaten Sonic Adventure fully because I got so frustrated on Big's levels.
Every time I play as Big the Cat:
40 minutes: Oh god oh no I forgot how to fish how do I even do this??
30 minutes: Just wandering the levels trying to locate Froggy
30 minutes: Actually playing the campaign
In fairness, next time I play SA, I should check out the tutorial mode for Big. It would probably save me the hassle.

Or the remake could at least make Big a lot more fun. Either make the fishing a lot better, or maybe redesign his campaign entirely. Maybe just a couple quick Froggy fishes + Chaos 6 "boss fight", but Big gets some platforming levels instead. He was enjoyable to play as in Heroes, so maybe levels where he gets to take advantage of being a big guy by busting through stuff, and uses his parasol, might be fun if done right.

Oracle Link

Smash Master
Every time I play as Big the Cat:
40 minutes: Oh god oh no I forgot how to fish how do I even do this??
30 minutes: Just wandering the levels trying to locate Froggy
30 minutes: Actually playing the campaign
In fairness, next time I play SA, I should check out the tutorial mode for Big. It would probably save me the hassle.

Or the remake could at least make Big a lot more fun. Either make the fishing a lot better, or maybe redesign his campaign entirely. Maybe just a couple quick Froggy fishes + Chaos 6 "boss fight", but Big gets some platforming levels instead. He was enjoyable to play as in Heroes, so maybe levels where he gets to take advantage of being a big guy by busting through stuff, and uses his parasol, might be fun if done right.
a nice thing would be a Classic Big toggle so that everyone is happy!

Depressed Gengar

Hana Is Best Girl
If it were up to me, Eggman would've been added back in For, using a slightly altered version of Bowser Jr.'s moveset while Jr. himself gets a moveset based around the paintbrush. Yes, I know they could theoretically coexist, but damn it, Jr.'s current moveset is basically the perfect Eggman moveset with a Clown Car flair to it, and it'd be really easy to alter it just a tiny bit more to fit Eggman.

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
I think it largely has to do with Sonic's status in his home country, his legacy with Smash, and Sega attempts to diversify themselves beyond the franchise.

It's worth remembering that, in Japan, Sonic just isn't that big. He's still a thing, but he was only significantly relevant to Japanese audiences during the Mega Drive (which came in third place behind Super Famicom and PC Engine) and the Dreamcast (which burned relatively light but fizzled out fast). By far the Sega console with the strongest legacy in Japan is the Saturn, which was a legitimate contender with the PS1 throughout most of its life in Japan thanks to not having a Bernie Stolar attempting to shut down overtly Japanese or 2-D games, which was obviously devoid of any major Sonic titles. As such, Sonic doesn't really have the status of Mario's rival or the face of Sega like in the West, which has hampered the legacy and popularity of the franchise in the land of the Rising Sun.

I think how long he's been in Smash is kinda to his detriment. As the only third party to appear in all four Smash games that include third parties, I think people take Sonic's inclusion for granted more than they do other characters. I think this phenomenon is occurring a lot of the third parties who have been in Smash for a while now, like Mega Man, PAC-Man, and Ryu, but Sonic seems to be hit the hardest by far. People kinda forget how much of a big deal it was to get Sonic in Smash and appearing alongside his former rivals. As such, there are generally less eyes on Sonic's representation in Smash and what another character could bring relative to chasing new faces with no representation in Smash.

It's also worth noting that Sega seems to be divorcing themselves from their image as "those guys who make Sonic games". He's still their mascot and gets a lot of attention, but they're clearly trying to spread the love instead of putting all eggs into the Sonic basket like they did throughout the late 2000s to mid 2010s. It's clear that a lot of manpower has been put in to better associate Sega with its other big properties, like Yakuza, Persona, and Puyo Puyo. It also seems like Sega is experimenting with taking dominant series and bringing them back to spotlight given Shenmue 3 and the revitalization of Sakura Wars. This may impact negotiations between Sega and Nintendo when it comes to Smash, as Sega strives to get more franchises in rather than expanding what's already there.

That being said, I would be so down for another Sonic character. Obviously, Eggman would be great, but I honestly think people are sleeping on Tails. I mean, c'mon, Mario and Luigi vs. Sonic and Tails? That'd be "you can do Cloud vs. Sephiroth in Smash" tier marketing. I also continue to be shocked as to why Shadow was never an echo for Sonic given the ease of implementation.

Last edited:

Oracle Link

Smash Master
I think it largely has to do with Sonic's status in his home country, his legacy with Smash, and Sega attempts to diversify themselves beyond the franchise.

It's worth remembering that, in Japan, Sonic just isn't that big. He's still a thing, but he was only significantly relevant to Japanese audiences during the Mega Drive (which came in third place behind Super Famicom and PC Engine) and the Dreamcast (which burned relatively light but fizzled out fast). By far the Sega console with the strongest legacy in Japan is the Saturn, which was a legitimate contender with the PS1 throughout most of its life in Japan thanks to not having a Bernie Stolar attempting to shut down overtly Japanese or 2-D games, which was obviously devoid of any major Sonic titles. As such, Sonic doesn't really have the status of Mario's rival or the face of Sega like in the West, which has hampered the legacy and popularity of the franchise in the land of the Rising Sun.

I think how long he's been in Smash is kinda to his detriment. As the only third party to appear in all four Smash games that include third parties, I think people take Sonic's inclusion for granted more than they do other characters. I think this phenomenon is occurring a lot of the third parties who have been in Smash for a while now, like Mega Man, PAC-Man, and Ryu, but Sonic seems to be hit the hardest by far. People kinda forget how much of a big deal it was to get Sonic in Smash and appearing alongside his former rivals. As such, there are generally less eyes on Sonic's representation in Smash and what another character could bring relative to chasing new faces with no representation in Smash.

It's also worth noting that Sega seems to be divorcing themselves from their image as "those guys who make Sonic games". He's still their mascot and gets a lot of attention, but they're clearly trying to spread the love instead of putting all eggs into the Sonic basic like they did throughout the late 2000s to mid 2010s. It's clear that a lot of manpower has been put in to better associate Sega with its other big properties, like Yakuza, Persona, and Puyo Puyo. It also seems like Sega is experimenting with taking dominant series and bringing them back to spotlight given Shenmue 3 and the revitalization of Sakura Wars. This may impact negotiations between Sega and Nintendo when it comes to Smash, as Sega strives to get more franchises in rather than expanding what's already there.

That being said, I would be so down for another Sonic character. Obviously, Eggman would be great, but I honestly think people are sleeping on Tails. I mean, c'mon, Mario and Luigi vs. Sonic and Tails? That'd be "you can do Cloud vs. Sephiroth in Smash" tier marketing. I also continue to be shocked as to why Shadow was never an echo for Sonic given the ease of implementation.
I mean i think he should come right after Eggman also if you think about it Tails Could make more sense than Shadow as an Echo i mean Tails invented the Spin Dash

StrangeKitten

Smash Lord
If it were up to me, Eggman would've been added back in For, using a slightly altered version of Bowser Jr.'s moveset while Jr. himself gets a moveset based around the paintbrush. Yes, I know they could theoretically coexist, but damn it, Jr.'s current moveset is basically the perfect Eggman moveset with a Clown Car flair to it, and it'd be really easy to alter it just a tiny bit more to fit Eggman.
That and, I doubt Jr. supporters were thinking he'd use the Clown Kart. I didn't pay attention to Smash speculation back then, but if you asked me to imagine Jr's moveset, I would have had him as mostly a lighter-but-faster Bowser, with his paintbrush being used for moves that weren't lifted from Bowser. The paintbrush would have probably acted like a sword. If B Jr. still wasn't in today, I'd do the same but I'd say the paint mechanics should be like Inklings (but in this hypothetical past, I'd have been imagining B Jr's moveset before Inkling got in, and thus not expected the paint to do that). Okay, that was kind of a nonsensical tangent, but it's how I assume most would expect Bowser Jr to play. The Clown Kart is an odd choice for him in that regard. But oh well, it's what we got and it's a pretty unique playstyle. And I doubt Eggman in Egg Mobile will dampen that uniqueness by much, should that come to pass.

Oracle Link

Smash Master
That and, I doubt Jr. supporters were thinking he'd use the Clown Kart. I didn't pay attention to Smash speculation back then, but if you asked me to imagine Jr's moveset, I would have had him as mostly a lighter-but-faster Bowser, with his paintbrush being used for moves that weren't lifted from Bowser. The paintbrush would have probably acted like a sword. If B Jr. still wasn't in today, I'd do the same but I'd say the paint mechanics should be like Inklings (but in this hypothetical past, I'd have been imagining B Jr's moveset before Inkling got in, and thus not expected the paint to do that). Okay, that was kind of a nonsensical tangent, but it's how I assume most would expect Bowser Jr to play. The Clown Kart is an odd choice for him in that regard. But oh well, it's what we got and it's a pretty unique playstyle. And I doubt Eggman in Egg Mobile will dampen that uniqueness by much, should that come to pass.
I mean i think we got lucky Bowser Jr in Clown is just much better than on foot!

JOJONumber691

Smash Lord
I think Tails could be cool if he was chosen, flight instead of a Double Jump is SUCH an Obvious Gimmick if this were to ever happen. That was the case in the Classic Sonic Games after all. I'm just worried about him due to his portrayal in Forces. Like, would he be portrayed as the Young, but Intelligent and Brave Fox like within the Older Titles? Or would he be portrayed as the Joke he is in Forces. That's my question for if Tails ever got in.

Otoad64

Smash Lord
I think Tails could be cool if he was chosen, flight instead of a Double Jump is SUCH an Obvious Gimmick if this were to ever happen. That was the case in the Classic Sonic Games after all. I'm just worried about him due to his portrayal in Forces. Like, would he be portrayed as the Young, but Intelligent and Brave Fox like within the Older Titles? Or would he be portrayed as the Joke he is in Forces. That's my question for if Tails ever got in.
well sakurai always uses the most loved version of the characters. Otherwise we probably would have nuts and bolts banjo and ghostly adventures pac man

Quillion

Smash Hero
I feel the need to post this again.

Is there anything in this fan-made moveset that looks anything like Bowser Jr.'s clown car moveset?

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
well sakurai always uses the most loved version of the characters. Otherwise we probably would have nuts and bolts banjo and ghostly adventures pac man
Seeing how Jun Senoue's Mega Man 4 medley was openly inspired by the Archie crossover, I don't think we'll need to worry about lack of West influence.

That being said, I imagine that the Adventure-onwards designs will continue to be used should more Sonic characters become playable (barring the classic-only ones, since they don't have modern designs in the games), for the sake of the grandfather clause. In terms of personalities, whatever Sak goes with tends to differ from current canon in some way.

He also looks less slim and more angular but again luckily they found a perfect Balance a LooooooooooT of Classic stuff and just little influences
Not to mention that his house's design is inspired by the N&B variant, only not dilapidated.

Last edited:

StrangeKitten

Smash Lord
True. But then again we got Modern Sonic in Brawl so.........
I'm fine with the modern design. I think it lends itself better to the squash-and-stretch animations Sonic has than the classic design would have, though I think classic would still work fine. Would be nice to update his victory theme to not be from 06, though.

JOJONumber691

Smash Lord
I'm fine with the modern design. I think it lends itself better to the squash-and-stretch animations Sonic has than the classic design would have, though I think classic would still work fine. Would be nice to update his victory theme to not be from 06, though.
True, but most beloved and Modern Sonic in the 2000's don't go together at ALL lol

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Plus Eggman's modern design would have him fit Smash's aesthetics like a glove, since his clothes already have detail without looking creepy like in 06.

Technomage

Smash Champion
The 2nd Sonic char I'd like to see the most is Boom Knuckles; he's hilarious. XD

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I'd still personally put Tails before Eggman. I don't think Sephiroth says anything about villains getting first dibs at being unique characters.
I would still want the two of them to get as much support as humanly possible. Shadow's going nowhere at the moment, so we need the characters from the series' genesis to be backed if any movement can even be done for Sonic content. Although Zavok would probably get in regardless, since Sega and co. keep pushing him for some odd reason.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
My dream moveset would have him be like Pokemon Trainer, and he can switch from the Egg Mobile to the Egg Walker to the Egg Dragoon and back again.
Yoooooo you're on to something.

I would love having a Heroes mechanic in the game, but a whole 3-character team would maybe be too much.

But if Eggman were to have a Speed, Flight, and Power variant of his mech... Now that would be a cool way of representing it and have 3 different and iconic Eggman mechs.

No

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Yoooooo you're on to something.

I would love having a Heroes mechanic in the game, but a whole 3-character team would maybe be too much.

But if Eggman were to have a Speed, Flight, and Power variant of his mech... Now that would be a cool way of representing it and have 3 different and iconic Eggman mechs.

No
If any folks get a Heroes mechanic, it would be the Chaotix trio. They're the only ones to apply it to that could make sense, while still leaving some free space.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
By the way, here's a fan art I've seen that I find pretty fun.

Actual size is way too big for me to post on here.

Last edited:

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
By the way, here's a fan art I've seen that I find pretty fun.

Actual size is way too big for me to post on here.
I love every single one of these teams. OMG! They're all genius in their own way.

Doubt Madonna would happen, but perhaps Shaara or Unleashed ghost girl instead.

Top Bottom