• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What's next for Low Tiers?

Stevo

Smash Champion
Actually DK/Roy would be good low tier'd characters to play together.

DK cannot handle spacies pressure (no chance to even turn around to b-air and they are too short to up-b out of shield) and Roy can "Marth" the spacies.

For bad characters, they kinda complement eachother well.

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
DK handles Fox pressure by not shielding in the first place. He has to resort to bairs for stuffing Fox's approaches + CC -> grabbing nairs + SDI -> grabbing drills.

Falco is a tad bit more work. I don't even know what you do, but I think you need platforms.

Stevo

Smash Champion
IMO DK being able to handle fox is so like '07

but I havnt been able to perform well with DK since around then LOL so Im biased

people think DK's bair is the answer to all his problems, but it really is not that easy.

V3ctorMan

Smash Champion
Yoshi > Pikachu, jus saying... Pikachu is soooooooo 2010...

2011 is year of the Yoshi.. I'll make it happen.. ^^

(I hope) ><;

Deadgye

Smash Rookie
That roy video makes me want to play roy, hah. I think I'll stick with mario though. So many fun things to do with him, although accidental wall jumps after my up B on dreamland make me cry. If only I didn't suck, I'd attempt to bring mario to life.

V3ctorMan

Smash Champion
^depends on the variables you mean by "unwinnable' NTSC, i'm leaning towards that way...but It's really hard for me to say anything is technically "unwinnable'.... I'd say def easier on PAL on this MU... but I don have enough experience... I didn't do too badly vs kirbykaze (he didn't CG me, what a guy <3) but he's the only major sheik I notably remember playin with Yoshi.. from here...

I played amsah and got tossed around with Yoshi.... I think i could've played better, but he told me he's got yoshi exp etc.... Im sure as I progress I'll find solutions etc... but for now... I don think I know enough about the MU.. even tho if i'd have to make an estimated guess.. I dont exactly like my chances Yoshi vs sheik in NTSC, PAL i'd def say it's winnable.. but NTSC, i just don't know... or can see it at this point in time... Hopefuly i can continue to make it to brackets with Yoshi at internationals.. like Pound, and find more solutions.. etc ^^

otg

Smash Master
they are too short to up-b out of shield
Really? I feel like I UpB oos all the time vs. spacies.... Maybe it wiffs if they are just standing?

people think DK's bair is the answer to all his problems, but it really is not that easy.
I didn't say it was the answer to all his problems, he would be a good character if that was the case. It is his best move tho, and imo makes him better then Roy/most low tiers.

Stevo

Smash Champion
well I wasn't directly meaning you, I just meant in general people think DK's bair is his answer for everything.

It does make him playable, for sure.

Alright I'll concede that he could be better than Roy, as Roy IS terrible

otg

Smash Master
That's fine, I wasn't assuming you were addressing me directly, I just had to clarify on my point of view.

DK and Roy are both pretty horrible, let's just concede that everyone below the top tier is bad and if you lose to them, the other player is way better then you.

<3 Axe.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Roy might be better than DK in like 2 match-ups but overall DK outclasses him.

KAOSTAR

the Ascended One
Na, everything above mid tier are good, the tops are just exceptional. Mid tiers are just ok.

low tiers are bad but not unusable, then there are the last few characters who borderline being unusable.

The reason I say that is because its about player vs player. Low tiers dont just get obliterated(sans sheik for most), they may lose alot, but they dont always just get obliterated just because they are playing vs a high tier, and Im talking about somebody who knows the MU, and in some cases are even the better player. They just have exploitable flaws, it just depends on how well a player can mask the flaws and boost the strengths.

and I agree that DK is a better overall character than Roy. DK sucks, but he isnt really all that bad, I just underestimate his strengths.

ItalianStallion

Smash Journeyman
My answer to this question comes in two different forms:

1. Which low tier characters I want to break through.

2. Which low tier characters I think will break through.

Answer 1:

I would love two see certain mid/low tier characters rise while other high tiers fall. I am very biased in this regard as for me, it comes down to my favorites. I would love it if Mewtwo was taken higher. I disagree with Roy being higher than him. Also, I think Luigi has way more potential than he is made out to have. I think Pikachu will also rise up, and someone in the top ten will fall down. Yoshi should also move up at least a little bit. I see Samus falling a little bit. I see Roy falling a little bit. I see Ness rising slightly, as long as someone gets serious with him. I see Ness having more potential than some other characters that are above him. Basically, I see Roy falling the most. Mewtwo and Yoshi and Ness all above Roy. But Roy is still above G&W. I also see Peach and Marth switching places. I see DR. Mario moving down by one. And although I don't see this happening, I would love if Sheik were moved to #26, because I don't like Sheik. :cool:

Answer 2

I see Mewtwo moving down and Yoshi moving above him. And I see Pikachu and Samus switching places. Overall, I don't think too much change is coming to the tiers in 2011, but I would love to be proven wrong.

No more Sheik, Samus, or Jigglypuff! :glare: They should be #26, #25, and #24 respectively.

AXE 09

Smash Master
Pikachu's only been mid tier for like 2 months lol. I still say he's a low tier.

2011: Year of the low tiers :)

And sure, Ganon counts lol.

V3ctorMan

Smash Champion
^Pikachu's mid tier? lol really!?!? why!?!?

/inb4thelookatAxesresults

I know that, but is that the sole reason? just curious

LLDL

Smash Hero
Sorry guys. It's year of the falco again this year.

Yoshi = Falco.

Stratford

Smash Champion
Y Link will raise at least 5 spots on the next tier for sure :p
Yes. It's guaranteed.

Also I've noticed that low tier mains try to convince people that their character is better than everyone thinks, whereas high tier mains try to convince people that their character isn't as good as everyone thinks.

Funny stuff.

Dark Hart

Rejected by Azua
Also I've noticed that low tier mains try to convince people that their character is better than everyone thinks, whereas high tier mains try to convince people that their character isn't as good as everyone thinks.

Funny stuff.
Maybe the game is just more balanced than most people give it credit for, and the characters really don't matter as much anymore.

Marth307

Smash Journeyman
Maybe the game is just more balanced than most people give it credit for, and the characters really don't matter as much anymore.
I 100% agree with this.Just because more people win with some chacters than other people with thier "low tier" characters doesn't make them bad.

A side note,What is Meta-game??? :dizzy:

N64

Smash Champion
Low tier mains tend to either grossly overrate or grossly underrate their char.

Having said that, pikachu sucks.

Axe is just too good : D

t3h Icy

Smash Master
Props to Cosmo for taking 2nd at SMYM! I can't wait until Cosmo goes to an international. Armada vs Cosmo would be sweet. Amsah vs Cosmo, not so much.

And a Zelda in international bracket would be amazing, since TheLake always gets so close but never quite makes it. ;_; Yoshi did though. <3

Top Bottom