• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What's next for Low Tiers?

Marshallmallowlol

Smash Cadet
Armada's Younglink is going to be the best LOW tier to come.
Axe with middle tiered pikachu is just too dirty, but the matches are inconsistent with strong wins and hard losses

I'd like to see ness or G&W jump up. They are fun characters to watch

LowFatHat

Smash Cadet
Armada's Younglink is going to be the best LOW tier to come.
Axe with middle tiered pikachu is just too dirty, but the matches are inconsistent with strong wins and hard losses

I'd like to see ness or G&W jump up. They are fun characters to watch
I personally think people need to get off of Armada's **** . Alright, he played yl, and he won, two matched. That doesn't make him better than ANY other young link player. You're oblivious if you think Armada has the best young link, let alone the best low tier character.

rhan

Smash Hero
He's definitely the best YL vs Jiggs. Cuz he told the YL boards specifically that he picked YL for the Jiggs match-up. He probably doesn't know how to handle any other character with Young Link.
He just played the absolute basic way to play against Jiggs as Young Link. But that's honesly how match-ups go in any game. You play basic and use what works.

Armada

Smash Lord
Jiggs is the only matchups i have practice.

But I have some experience against Shiek and Falco.
I also play some firendlis against Lovage fox at Pound and that was really fun =).

But i don´t care, I played Y link cause i wanted to beat Hbox and it was a successful move.

BUT smash is a lot about mindgames and spacing just saying.

Teczer0

Research Assistant
Premium
BRoomer
But i don´t care, I played Y link cause i wanted to beat Hbox and it was a successful move.

BUT smash is a lot about mindgames and spacing just saying.
Not to mention it was a ridiculously awesome move.

I was screaming so loud when you picked YL I thought I was gonna lose my voice.

It was also really inspiring your drive is somethin else man.

n0ne

Smash Ace
Id say g&w or DK. They defintitly got da potential. They both **** many of the higher tiers. bad shield nowadays is not an issue because u can just camp and avoid shield pressure altogether. And they dont even need it because of g&ws massive combos and DKs grab game. (both can CG also)

All those low tierERS.... job well done.

naah i think that what armada did with YL was a nice move, he DID ****.. but i think the fact that YL was uncalled for, helped a lot. hbox was caught offguard. he practically has no MU practice against YL. it was seen in the fight. Anyways just MO , i hate jiggs hes gay and i main Y.link also, but he is not the best YL. All the same, im pretty sure if the MU was YL v Falcon for example, the result would of been different. Hes just a good jiggs counter. He used him in a pretty basic way, nothing advanced.

Good job Armada. YL needed that reppin.

KAOSTAR

the Ascended One
Id say g&w or DK. They defintitly got da potential. They both **** many of the higher tiers. bad shield nowadays is not an issue because u can just camp and avoid shield pressure altogether. And they dont even need it because of g&ws massive combos and DKs grab game. (both can CG also)
LMAO, yea I love how they **** so hard.

Armada

Smash Lord
n0ne: "He used him in a pretty basic way, nothing advanced".

Why should i have been playing more "advanced?

More flashy?
More fun?

I played to win and it turned out that way.
Playing more advanced dosen´t mean you are a better player for sure.

Acryte

Smash Ace
yup, you exploited the best method he had to win against puff, bomb to dair. It was extremely effective. Smart choice of moves considering ylink can just jump away and pull a bomb and now he is defended against puff spam and the puff now has to play really cautiously depending on his percentage, the only risky part is connecting with the dair but a good player like armada wont throw it out unless he's confident it will hit. I thought it was great, it was the best choice of moves to combat the way hbox was playing puff and it was fairly safe.

LLDL

Smash Hero
Regional...yeah. Why even throw that in, it's very possible lol.

National, probably not lol.

n0ne

Smash Ace
n0ne: "He used him in a pretty basic way, nothing advanced".

Why should i have been playing more "advanced?

More flashy?
More fun?

I played to win and it turned out that way.
Playing more advanced dosen´t mean you are a better player for sure.

... thats not what i meant.

I know what u did was good. u played nice, super effective and by the book and i know in fact that u cant be doing too much unnecesary/extra stuff against puff especially. And also the fact that it IS a tourney and logically u gotta play to win. what i was trying to say is that what you did was unexpected and was perfect.

For i.e, When i use my "secret characters" that are mario/Y.Link/G&W, and am playing for something big. i usually get laughed at. i really dont care for that , but the fact IS that they laugh because its unexpected,but while playing they take that laugh back. People sometimes dont have the MU experience for that specific character, so u can catch people offguard, and that is a major advantage for a player because it means he has an ace under his sleeve. Thats what i meant. People not being accostumbed to low tier characters .
The same way in SSF4 people dont fall for ryu/sagat mindgames as they do to Abel/Ibuki. Its because people are not used to the different tricks because almost no one uses them.

The same way in Europe u guys do stuff in Melee different from Americans and vice-versa.
I for one am from Nicaragua, have gone to Toronto and played with GTAs community players, and compare with players over here. The problem is no one here speaks english except me, and well, in this country its very difficult for them to get out of the country because of economical/financial/Emigration reasons(Its VERY hard to get a VISA if youre ONLY Nicaraguan) So thats outta the picture for them . But there are plenty of good players around here and nobody knows that fact, the same way Chile is now uploading vids of their top players. And im sure all around the world is the same issue.

And actually that is what this thread is all about. Low tier characters. I repeat i loved what u did,and did it perfectly and is what EVERYBODY should start doing. Trying out different characters potential. Its like u said..

"...smash is a lot about mindgames and spacing..."
It couldnt been said any better than this.

ADA//Peach

Smash Rookie
Low tiers . r so unpredictable .

i allways see the forum but . i never post .

im from nicaragua .

btw, u never know where your gonna find someone good, just look at Dark, the fox from chile... he`s best tech skill i seen so far.. and just until a few days ago nobody knew about it.. so maybe somewhere else there are good low tier users out there .

No one know where's the best .look at your peach . i never seen something about you years ago . u just go up to be one of the best players .

same . about DARK . its more to say what he do ...

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
DK has major character flaws that are obvious at mid-level play and become even more apparent at high level play. Large hurtbox, limited recovery, limited approach options, lack of options at the ledge, bad shield, etc. By comparison to the better characters, he can't really compete. Low tier players have to rely on 1. Being better than their opponent and 2. having more match-up experience than their opponent. 2 gets harder and harder as time goes on, like what happened with DK after Bum did so well. Has a DK ever done that well? It's not only because Bum stopped playing, but it's also because players learned the match-up.

TheCrimsonBlur

Smash Master
Except his shield provides him with no more than pinhead coverage.
And Pikachu's shield doesn't?

Glass cannon characters are too good.

DK has major character flaws that are obvious at mid-level play and become even more apparent at high level play. Large hurtbox, limited recovery, limited approach options, lack of options at the ledge, bad shield, etc. By comparison to the better characters, he can't really compete. Low tier players have to rely on 1. Being better than their opponent and 2. having more match-up experience than their opponent. 2 gets harder and harder as time goes on, like what happened with DK after Bum did so well. Has a DK ever done that well? It's not only because Bum stopped playing, but it's also because players learned the match-up.
Right. He has major disadvantages. Thats why he is where he is in the tier list.

But he also has killer advantages. Hes a big monkey with good range, huge combos, and great option coverage. There is no way that Bum's 07 play is the pinnacle of DK play. There is more to this character.

Unlock his 5th chakra gate!

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Right. He has major disadvantages. Thats why he is where he is in the tier list.
ok
But he also has killer advantages. Hes a big monkey
with good range,
on like three moves
huge combos,
against 4 characters
and great option coverage.
since when?
There is no way that Bum's 07 play is the pinnacle of DK play. There is more to this character.

Unlock his 5th chakra gate!
it isn't. yet, his play was complemented by a lack of match-up knowledge at the time. a better DK player now could still place worse than Bum because Bum had the advantage of match-up inexperience while today DK players don't.

I can see a DK making bracket at an international tourney, but anything much farther than that I don't think so.

KAOSTAR

the Ascended One
DK sucks! like I don't see him being good ever.

hella laggy moves, not slow but take a year and a half to finish. super predictable up b, no vert, too strong to combo floaties, tiny shield big body...and loses to m2.

characters like that will get weeded out completely soon enough.

TheCrimsonBlur

Smash Master
Everyones talking about G&W and Roy and me saying DK is all of a sudden oh so controversial.

Christ guys of course DK is bad (but good for a low tier). Its a low tier thread. And I think DK is the character that is farthest from his potential.

Top Bottom