• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

***What's going on with Smashbros.com?***

Status
Not open for further replies.

Creo

Smash Champion
NNID
Creo93
They techinically can not ever do that to there standards though. As said above, if you play the game more and are more competitive, you will just be better and have the advantage.

Legolastom

Smash Hero
O yhea you cant do that to their standards can you ah well... but what about if your samus and you start charging your beam would you still be still then?

You obviously mistook (have mistaken?) my point. Of course somebody who plays Smash more will naturally be better at it, as with any other game.

I'm just saying losers who waste thier lives away finding unfair and unheardof abuses merely to give themselves an uncomprable upper hand is a bit farfetched in itself. Thus, the divide between the professional and the casual.

The casual player should obviously always be at quite a dissadvantage against the professional in the first place, but they should at least have a tiny chance of getting a blow in instead of getting chain-wave-shined to a U-Smash . . . four times in a row, especially since no official resource (manuals . . . ) even warns said helpless victim of said abuse.
*sigh* You return the same person Yellow Mage.

The gap between casual and professional players skill is an inevitability,and this applies in every kind of sport or activity that requiers skill,percision,and practice.

The gap between casual play exist not because of the abuse of specific techniques,but because of the amout of practice put into the game.Another facter that effects this is the use of intelligent play and tactics.You can Wavedash and Shuffle all over the place,but it won't earn you a kill.

Abusing techniques aren't the key to high level smash play,those techniques are just enhancements to the physics engine that speed up the pace of the game.Even if techniques such as L-canceling didn't exist,professionals will still be able to decipher your playing strategies and win.The techniques don't make the player,the player makes the technique work to his advantage by playing smarter than the opponent.

You still lack the knowledge and understanding of the game Yellow Mage. ; )

BTW,I don't know who you play,but there is no way in HELL someone can waveshine the opponent four times to and U-smash without being able to DI away.Crap like that only works on Link,and how many high level players do you see playing with Link aganist a Fox?It's a horrible match up in the beggining.

Yellow Mage

Smash Journeyman
*sigh* You return the same person Yellow Mage.

The gap between casual and professional players skill is an inevitability,and this applies in every kind of sport or activity that requiers skill,percision,and practice.

The gap between casual play exist not because of the abuse of specific techniques,but because of the amout of practice put into the game.Another facter that effects this is the use of intelligent play and tactics.You can Wavedash and Shuffle all over the place,but it won't earn you a kill.

Abusing techniques aren't the key to high level smash play,those techniques are just enhancements to the physics engine that speed up the pace of the game.Even if techniques such as L-canceling didn't exist,professionals will still be able to decipher your playing strategies and win.The techniques don't make the player,the player makes the technique work to his advantage by playing smarter than the opponent.

You still lack the knowledge and understanding of the game Yellow Mage. ; )

BTW,I don't know who you play,but there is no way in HELL someone can waveshine the opponent four times to and U-smash without being able to DI away.Crap like that only works on Link,and how many high level players do you see playing with Link aganist a Fox?It's a horrible match up in the beggining.
I see you're the same person as well, my rival ; ) .

The skill between a casual player and a professional is, as you said, always a given. There will always be something of a gap in between, that I understand. In fact, it's my entire point: professionals are already at a great advantage over the casual any day, so do they really need all the physics abuses? I know it's absolutely de facto among professionals now, but it's only because some nobody somewhere had to go and discover them in the first place.

I'll also concede you're metaphysical comment on the game, that the player makes the player, and not the techniques. But once a player has mastered the techniques to his will, what's to stop him from absolutely annihilating his equal? Because the techniques are now de facto, it takes another enternity just to comprehend what just happened to my noob butt at that tournament, much less master it, and then finally practice my hreat out with said techniques merely so I can stand a chance.

I hardly play Smash Brothers Melee anymore, because my only tourney place moved out of town, and, thus, I abandoned all hope of ever gaining such a grasp on the game as those who shuffle thier way to victory on a day to day basis. And I don't exactly have anybody who's valuable practice against me, either. What do you do if you're too good for casual, but still too nooby for professional, and have no viable method of social practice and ever becoming better? If that is what you mean by my lack of understanding of the game, by my sheer personal experience, then you are correct.

And, by the way, I meant four times as in, that's how many live you get. The situation I was painting was "Waveshine, Upsmash, Opponent Loses Life, Lather, Rinse, Repeat." Put in Lasers or whatever you want wherever you want, the point remains the same.

TheBlackrose

Smash Journeyman
It seems as though with Fox being a gun-heavy character this time around, and the mobile shooting, what if he can approach without shorthopping. zomg
if thats the case then im pretty sure each step will be slow and have alot more lag tim in between then just a standing laser

I see you're the same person as well, my rival ; ) .

The skill between a casual player and a professional is, as you said, always a given. There will always be something of a gap in between, that I understand. In fact, it's my entire point: professionals are already at a great advantage over the casual any day, so do they really need all the physics abuses? I know it's absolutely de facto among professionals now, but it's only because some nobody somewhere had to go and discover them in the first place.

I'll also concede you're metaphysical comment on the game, that the player makes the player, and not the techniques. But once a player has mastered the techniques to his will, what's to stop him from absolutely annihilating his equal? Because the techniques are now de facto, it takes another enternity just to comprehend what just happened to my noob butt at that tournament, much less master it, and then finally practice my hreat out with said techniques merely so I can stand a chance.

I hardly play Smash Brothers Melee anymore, because my only tourney place moved out of town, and, thus, I abandoned all hope of ever gaining such a grasp on the game as those who shuffle thier way to victory on a day to day basis. And I don't exactly have anybody who's valuable practice against me, either. What do you do if you're too good for casual, but still too nooby for professional, and have no viable method of social practice and ever becoming better? If that is what you mean by my lack of understanding of the game, by my sheer personal experience, then you are correct.

And, by the way, I meant four times as in, that's how many live you get. The situation I was painting was "Waveshine, Upsmash, Opponent Loses Life, Lather, Rinse, Repeat." Put in Lasers or whatever you want wherever you want, the point remains the same.
Good points.

But the thing is that people want to keep alot of the advanced techniques in the game because it enhances the games speed and depth.Even if they were not present in the game,they would still own us.(On a side note,I still believe L-cancel will stay because of the games ability to shield-as-soon-as-you-hit-the-ground,physics)

Most of us just want the techs in to add to the game depth,not abuse.

oxyborb

Smash Ace
NNID
oxyborb
3DS FC
4124-5009-7204
Of course, that was just a very on-eggshells way of me hoping that little-known and unofficially recognized abuses (wavedash, etcetera) will no longer act as a barrier between the tourney regulars and the casuals who have never seen the hell that is Melee tournament play within thier lifetime. Kinda like what the Wii was designed for in the first place . . .
I play guitar. My friend shreds my face like everyday, but I'm not mad because he has worked harder than me. He practices way more often than I do. He's taken the time to learn better techniques. He deserves to be better than me. Same with Smash, like Sakurai said, it's kinda like a sport.

I hardly play Smash Brothers Melee anymore, because my only tourney place moved out of town, and, thus, I abandoned all hope of ever gaining such a grasp on the game as those who shuffle thier way to victory on a day to day basis.
Maybe the internet and a few good friends will solve that problem.

Ontopic; Wasn't there a crappy rip-off of Smashbros on Xbox Live? Wasn't that entire game about moving and shooting guns? Maybe they liked the extra control. Though, I really hope they have less bullets per gun, or SuperScope would be like if Fox could shoot+move w/o short hop, only with knockback. ow.

Cojiro

Smash Journeyman
A friend linked me to this video: It's got a little bit of new SSBB footage, and it looks pretty official. From the looks of it, it was released in Japan and found its way to YouTube before we caught wind of it.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=0DHTfVpFK7w
I don't need to click on that link to know that that is a rickroll. Try Harder.

And ROFL at Red Exodus: "The song is nice though" :laugh:

Grimwolf

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Grimwolff
ugh is it going to be 4:20 everyday? If so then it's like an homage to pot smokers everywhere...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom