• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What kind Luigi playstyle are you?

hippiedude92

Smash Hero
I decided to put up a Luigi playstyle so that players can see what kind of playstyle they have currently and what to improve on which is which.

Offensive brawler :

Focuses on all attacks. Will use often shorthop aerials, go in for combos and use often smashs to kill their enemy. Goes offstage for gimping and making sure the enemy doesn't come back onto the stage. Many people use this style where Luigi mostly shines in.

Defensive brawler :

Uses shieldgrabs and powershields often. Will use projectiles, critical spacing, and aerials DI-ing away from your enemy. Will also use tilts more as well. Most of the time, will force the enemy approach to you. Not alot of people use this playing style as because they're not always used to being defensive and Luigi shines in being offensive.

Approach reader :

Focuses on controlling approachs and leading projectiles into attacks. Looks at enemy's movement, attacks and looks for openings to move in for. Uses retreating, fireballs and retreating aerials to give him/her self opening to. Camps when it's needed. Edgeguards accurately and goes through the offensive. A very good playstyle but requires accuracy and patience.

Street fighter :

Focuses on killing the enemy with the shoryuken (upb) Uses many of it's setups for the shoryuken. Focuses on enemy's moves and looks for openings and punishs them. Also will uses spotdodges and powershields to increase their chances of landing it. A nice playstyle but risky and predictable one. Many people will have to utilize their accuracy, look for openings so that you won't be severly punished if missed.

Strageist :

Focuses on reading movements, attacks, and openings. Uses often mindgames to look for openings and also punishing them. It also gets a feel for the person's playstyle and sees on how they'll react to what you do. It exposes your enemy's weaknesses counterattack. You'll be evading his/her attacks as well as planning out your counterattack. This playstyle takes alot of pratice, patience, alot of knowledge of all characters, person's playing styles and master of evading. Not too many people use this style but it is a very effective style.

These the main playstyles of fighting, but obviously you can combine these together.

Many people use the first and fourth fighting style ( Offensive and street fighter ). But it's important to have all of these playing styles mastered so that you can take advantage of Luigi's balanced as a character and can put a effective better player in general too. Of course some of these playstyles can be applied in some other fighting games.

Feel free to post some ideas that we can add on to.

Now discuss.

TheMann

Smash Ace
I'm a mix between offensive and street fighter. I've found so many ways to Up + B people its ridiculous :D

Folt

Smash Ace
I'm a mix of offensive brawler and street fighter. I exhibit some traits of the strategist
playstyle as I study other characters to know their weaknesses and best way to fight them
with Luigi, and also some defensive and approach traits since I like to use tilts (and I'm
going to incorporate more fireball into my game as right now fireball game is rock bottom),
and I have recently begun to look for openings to punish. I'm looking to dabble in, and
study, every style to find useful techniques. For now, I guess I have to become better
defensive, and find more opportunities to punish.

Faithkeeper

Smash Lord
Many people use the first and third fighting style ( Offensive and street fighter ). .
You mean first and fourth, right?

Depending on the matchup and situation, i'm a bit of all of these. I'm not yet experienced or good enough to be a strategist, although I'll be work toward that area in the future. i'm generally a offensive/street fighter, but against certain characters i become very campy, and am very defensive when i'm ahead a stock.

Bane84

Smash Journeyman
You forgot the 6th play style: Luigi Tornado Spammer. I see it all the time.

ALiAsVee

Smash Ace
i am more of an approach/defensive brawler. But if an enemy isn't too hard, i'll become offensive/streetfighter.

hippiedude92

Smash Hero
You mean first and fourth, right?

Depending on the matchup and situation, i'm a bit of all of these. I'm not yet experienced or good enough to be a strategist, although I'll be work toward that area in the future. i'm generally a offensive/street fighter, but against certain characters i become very campy, and am very defensive when i'm ahead a stock.
Whoops yeah that's what I meant too lol.

SparkEd

Smash Journeyman
The best player is one that adapts his/her fighting style to the character/person they're fighting.

Basically, I'm a Strategist but I can just as easily switch styles and mindsets as I need to. An offensive/Defense Strategist, etcetc.

Trapt497

Smash Ace
I'm offensive...for the most part. I do SH > any aerial a lot and most of my kills come from smashes too.

You could even have a seperate section for aerials if you wanted to or thought enough people used it.

Trapt497

Smash Ace
I just looked at the Lucario's offical playstyle thread. Boy it's one hell of a good thread and helpful one too. It actually gives a motivation to write something like that! Maybe i'll write this playstyle for Luigi into a guide later in the future. Here's thread why Lucario's playstyles thread is **** :o

http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=173703
Lol yeah thats a good thread. There are lots of other ones like that written by Jeepy_Sol too, who is amazing at that kind of stuff.

But, yeah, you could totally base your OP on that thread if you wanted to.

Razz113

Smash Cadet
I'm a strategist it depends on who im fighting as to what i'll be doing and i try to read people and catch them on their ****ups with the UpB, or Fsmash, or ****** people because yea they were stupid and they deserve it.

clowsui

Smash Legend
Offensive/Defensive mix...I use a lot of shieldgrabs + shielding but I don't use a lot of fireballs. I do however use a lot of tilts (ftilt and utilt are fun, dtilt I haven't gotten the hang of yet). My offense consists of throw combos at low percents (dthrow -> uair -> whatever after reading them is way too good) and tilts + dsmashing at higher percents to keep pressure either off myself or on the opponent. I end up killing at higher percents though, which is a big problem

exdia_16

Smash Journeyman
My style is to play with combos i think that combos lead the real fact of wats to come like for EX. up b or his Dair but the combos are a way to delude wats going to happen a good way to mask or lead them to thinking some thing else thats how i play and over the course of a year i have become top in my school after Boss fired my *** i got better now me and boss hav some battles to finish i will post some vids if necessary or if its okay i just need to play alot of poeple who main luigi or mario i love this board.........i am on a journey to to getting great and having my name known. Thank You

TreK

Is "that guy"
defensive, I try to be strategic but I suck at it D=

I suck even more at puttin pressure so offensive styles aren't for me
This hurts me on some matchups lol
edit : nvm didn't see it was a bump

xTrav8

Smash Cadet
It's cool. Though you don't need to post in caps, it makes you look silly.

My style consists of camping and planking. Even when playing Ganondorfs.

KoRoBeNiKi

Smash Hero
Writing Team
Slippi.gg
KORO#668
strategist and approach

but it really matters who I am facing

Like Ill never approach a Metaknight too much...but I have to apporach diddy

EmblemPrincess

Smash Apprentice
I like to use Luigi's aerials and bthrow a lot. :p

I like to have a good offense with him cause he has a really good aerial game. I also make use of the dthrow to uair combo. And I love Green Missile! xP

EmblemPrincess

Smash Apprentice
^Not smart. XD

Luigi's way better than Mario, so you ought to just be Luigi, not pretend to be Mario. :p

Any Luigi player should regularly use the dthrow to uair combo. Sometimes Luigi can also combo some of his other aerial moves with this, namely fair and bair.

hippiedude92

Smash Hero
^Not smart. XD

Luigi's way better than Mario, so you ought to just be Luigi, not pretend to be Mario. :p

Any Luigi player should regularly use the dthrow to uair combo. Sometimes Luigi can also combo some of his other aerial moves with this, namely fair and bair.
sacrasm or no none, this is full of fail.

and chic plays his mario like it's luigi. i mean ****, all you have to do is get used to like 2 or 3 different special b moves and poor piss weight,hitboxes etcc, really not that hard unless you wanna go indepth lol.

can this thread kinda die plz? kinda outdated.

Kanzaki

Smash Champion
^Not smart. XD

Might not be smart, but it brings me wins in tourney's :D

My Mario has troubles against Snake, I use Luigi and win.
My Luigi has troubles against Marth, I use Mario and win.

Goes both ways ^^

Mario has cape, which is the main reason why I play Mario.. but I use Luigi like a capeless Mario.. and with a tornado ^^

Btw... Luigi dthrow to uair.. guess what.. Mario could do it too! O.O whoamg... madness, I know.

EmblemPrincess

Smash Apprentice
Really? I don't have trouble against Marth at all when I use Luigi. :/

And I'm aware Mario can do the dthrow to uair as well, but I think it's better on Luigi since he has a better aerial game due to his jumping ability.

Hippiedude: Way to act like an ***. :/ And I wasn't being sarcastic. I think Luigi IS way better than Mario. He jumps higher, can use the crawldash, Luigi Cyclone >>>> FLUDD, Green Missile >>>> Cape, he falls slower giving him more aerial ability (and his aerial game rocks anyway), and I also think Luigi's A dash has more knockback than Mario's. Luigi also has a much better recovery. Really, all Mario has is upB while Luigi has not only upB, but Green Missile and rising Luigi Cyclone too. Plus his jumps help because they're higher, as said before.

And just look at how much higher on the tier list Luigi is than his brother. XD

But I don't want to get into an argument...

hippiedude92

Smash Hero
Really? I don't have trouble against Marth at all when I use Luigi. :/

And I'm aware Mario can do the dthrow to uair as well, but I think it's better on Luigi since he has a better aerial game due to his jumping ability.

Hippiedude: Way to act like an ***. :/ And I wasn't being sarcastic. I think Luigi IS way better than Mario. He jumps higher, can use the crawldash, Luigi Cyclone >>>> FLUDD, Green Missile >>>> Cape, he falls slower giving him more aerial ability (and his aerial game rocks anyway), and I also think Luigi's A dash has more knockback than Mario's. Luigi also has a much better recovery. Really, all Mario has is upB while Luigi has not only upB, but Green Missile and rising Luigi Cyclone too. Plus his jumps help because they're higher, as said before.

And just look at how much higher on the tier list Luigi is than his brother. XD

But I don't want to get into an argument...
Really? Wall of text indepth? Whatever, I can care less atm. PUT SOMETHING THAT SAYS "IMO" IN THE END OF THE POST. Then maybe I'll respect your post. The reason why I have to be an ***, is that you have to be careful of what you post around these parts of this board. But when it comes down to comparison to Luigi and to Mario, your asking for a flame war. That's why I'm telling you should AT LEAST PUT A "IMO". Anyone who knows me from the dawn of brawl and up till now, will know why I'd have to be an *** esp "with that thread" that was asking for a 32 page flame war on that discussion including the Mario mains. I'm pretty sure as an Ike main, you wouldn't want people saying "oh Ike dies earlier than Marth kk"

Oh and if you really itching to flame/post negative on your next post, then I really have to call a mod to lock this thread. Just drop a PM then.

Top Bottom