• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What if youtube removed melee videos

LLDL

Smash Hero
I had wanted to make this topic like 2 years ago when combo videos started getting removed. But I thought to myself, "Nah smash matches don't infringe anything". But what if they started doing that just like how they removed anime? What precautions could we take?

One of HMW's smash videos randomly got copyrighted and removed for copyright infringement, and I'm sure it's a mistake and that they aren't purposely targeting smash, but what if they are?

Scar/Darc(Blue) vs Kage/PKM Vodka(Green) 1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7uShYy4l_vI

Youtube said:
This video is no longer available due to a copyright claim by Shogakukan Production Co. Ltd..
That's an anime company. If it would have said claim by Nintendo or something, I would be scared. But this is more of a what if thing. I think melee videos should have their own site something sounding like meleeclips com smashvids dot net or techskill dot com or something. What do you guys think.

S.G.

Smash Journeyman
It'd be a hopeful sign
because Nintendo would still care about melee 10 years later

Bl@ckChris

Smash Hero
i think a site would be nice. as long as its well organized, clips could be uploaded and searched for in a manner that has the potential to be a lot more user friendly than youtube.

i'd really hate for them not to be able to be uploaded on to youtube though...

L__

Smash Master
I skipped over the whole idea of videos being uploaded to their own site, sounds awesome in theory but very time consuming since we already have like 87394825823467 videos on youtube already >=|

TresChikon

Smash Lord
Something to do with Diamond and Pearl PKMN stuff.

People just love to blow their loads on everything and give others a hard time.

It's not like they even get anything besides bad PR.

Spife

Smash Master
Something to do with Diamond and Pearl PKMN stuff.

People just love to blow their loads on everything and give others a hard time.

It's not like they even get anything besides bad PR.
that's reallllllly dumb. Can anyone confirm?

TresChikon

Smash Lord
They were involved with a lot of Pokémon stuff. However, they're just an Anime publishing company, they didn't really make any of it. They also own Viz Media, which you may have heard of before.

If you look around on YouTube, you'll find uploaded user clips from the Pokemon series that also has been pulled due to infringements.

http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=C0BE7843C7B282E3&page=4

[video unavailable]
COPYRIGHT: © 2008 Pokémon ©1997-2008 Nintendo, Shogakukan Production Co. Ltd, Cre...
Here's a site that lists which projects they were involved in.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/company.php?id=1017

Plenty of Pocket Monsters involvement:

Pikachu's Island Adventure (special) : Production
Pikachu's PikaBoo (OAV) : Produced In Association With, Production
Pocket Monster Crystal: Raikou Ikazuchi no Densetsu (special) : Production
Pocket Monsters: Diamond & Pearl (TV) : Production
Pokémon (TV) : Production
Pokémon - Destiny Deoxys (movie) : Copyright, Production
Pokemon - Jirachi Wish Maker (movie) : Animation Production, Copyright, Production
Pokemon - Mewtwo Returns (special) : Production
Pokemon 2000 - The Movie : Production
Pokemon 3 - The Movie : Production
Pokemon 4Ever (movie) : Production
Pokemon Advance (TV) : Production
Pokemon Heroes - Latias & Latios (movie) : Animation Production, Copyright, Production
Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Team Go-Getters Out of the Gate! (special) : Production
Pokémon: Arceus and the Jewel of Life (movie) : Production
Pokémon: Giratina and the Sky Warrior (movie) : Production
Pokémon: Lucario and the Mystery of Mew (movie) : Production
Pokemon: The First Movie : Executive Production
Pokemon: The Mastermind of Mirage Pokemon (special) : Executive Production, Production
Pokémon: The Rise of Darkrai (movie) : Production
I suppose anything with Pokemon Stadium, Pokeballs, Pikachu, Pichu, Mewtwo or Jigglypuff in it would be a violation of copyright laws since Shogakukan owns them or whatever.

Side note: If Nintendo wanted to, couldn't they tell Shogakukan to **** off since they're the ones who made Pokemon?

If so, we could appeal to Nintendo if Shogakuken becomes too much of a hassle.

Side side note: I remember reading an article where users were pirating music from a group and the company decided to sue. However, the artists didn't want any of it and demanded that the company halt their actions.

Nintendo could do something similar if they loved us enough.

Jonas

Smash Champion
Afaik putting gameplay footage on YT is perfectly legal because the footage itself is neither produced nor copyrighted by the companies that developed the games. Footage from movies or TV shows is copyrighted.

I might be wrong though. Perhaps the reason they don't remove gameplay videos all the time is that they get uploaded faster than they can take them down xD

TresChikon

Smash Lord
I tried reading through some copyright basics, but the jargon is so dense.

Anyways, this is what I understood that seemed most relevant, but I'm not positive if it actually gives them rights to game play footage.

The owner has the rights to:

- Derivative works based on the work
- Display/perform the work, in the case of literary, musical, or other audio-visual work.

Copyright seems to cover a wide variety of media, I just hope it doesn't apply to game play, can someone shed some light please?

X1-12

Smash Champion
The "fair use" exemption to (U.S.) copyright law was created to allow things such as commentary, parody, news reporting, research and education about copyrighted works without the permission of the author. That's vital so that copyright law doesn't block your freedom to express your own works -- only the ability to appropriate other people's. Intent, and damage to the commercial value of the work are important considerations.
i think its fair to say that scar play ssbm is his own works

but i'm no lawyer to be fair

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
I was under the impression that previous videos were removed for the music used

TheManaLord

Smash Hero
I made a topic a long time ago discussing this issue. lots of cool videos were also uploaded to MLG game room and other video sites.

that's the only way to get around removal of videos, or use ORIGINAL non copyrighted music.

bobson

Smash Lord
Why doesn't everyone just use the game sounds instead? It stops you from having to spam that fair use copypasta and it stops me from having to mute your annoying music all the time.

Alternatively, just move to Viddler or some place less dumb about copyright disputes.

TresChikon

Smash Lord
They like to have a little..."personality," in their uploads.

So is music the reason why that match got deleted?

I just don't understand why Shogakukan would care about music when they publish games and anime.

X1-12

Smash Champion
perhaps pokemon stadium music is owned by them as its from pokemon? not really sure and anyway it said it was witheld from a copyright claim didnt actually say they owned it, it could go back up maybe?

jugfingers

Smash Champion
I don't understand why the game itself isn't copyright infringement if they can claim copyright infringement for showing videos of the game?

was their commentary on the matches, maybe it was something in the commentary?

I'm really confused...

`DNS`

Smash Lord
Videos of gameplay are NOT copyrighted by Nintendo.. I don't even know what Shogakukan(?) is, but if, like that site says, they produced Pokemon movies, they in no way own Melee, and I'm pretty sure that they were also not involved in its production. Copyrights (we/a)re to protect the copyright holder from monetary loss; If their song is uploaded somewhere where it could be downloaded from (ie YOUTUBE) then it is infringing on the copyright. If you were to upload/host the game itself then Nintendo could have it removed and take legal action against you.

Some parts of melee are owned by;
WilkoLinks DigiWorks Inc., Digital Media Lab, buildup, sysdolphin, Creatures Inc., GAME FREAK Inc., APE Inc., Keiichi Suzuki, INTELLIGENT SYSTEMS, NOISE, Saru Brunei, Param, Nintendo, HAL Laboratory Inc.

X1-12

Smash Champion
it said a claim was made it wasn't necessarily substantiated, perhaps its youtube policy to remove it as soon as a claim is made

`DNS`

Smash Lord
^Yeah they remove it without looking at it.
You could go to any video and put a fake company or something and say you own it.. they'll remove it if it seems valid. Waffles could just say they removed it wrongfully and it should be put back up.

Spife

Smash Master
I also remember something in the last thread related to this and combo videos, something about fair use. I'm not 100% on that though.

Stratford

Smash Champion
I don't know how it could have anything to do with them owning Pokemon music, that sounds like some serious BS. You'd think Nintendo has rights to anything Pokemon related featured in Melee. I'm assuming this one was just a mistake.

Team Giza

Smash Lord
Try getting some legal advice and then counter notice it if you feel safe.

False DMCAs based on negligent automotive systems are lame.

Paladin77

Smash Journeyman
sounds revolutionary

if they made that website. they should have a seach engine that asks you stuff like this

Blank vs Blank
Stock: Instert #
Checkboxes:
Official
Friendly
Glitch

stuff like that

S l o X

Smash Champion
A new website with good design and decent administrators for the sole purpose of uploading videos / comment / rating would ****. I'm sure if someone invested in this idea they could make some $$$.

Top Bottom