• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What hasn't been hacked?

...:::VILE:::...

Smash Ace
this said

AmazingAmpharos was looking around Brawl's data and found the folder for the SSE cutscenes and a folder in the same directory that contains the names for the character intros (.pac files). he said that if we were to replace them, the correct directory would be...

F:\private\wii\app\RSBE\pf\Movie\Param\US

can anyone make a new file replacement code that recognizes this directory and replaces the files accordingly?
Oh cool, when i was doing movie replacing i totally missed that param folder. Yeh in there, there is some textures with the names of characters, the video is just the audio and visual of the video.

One day i might write up a little tut on how to get videos working (its pretty easy), but later.

Kaye Cruiser

Waveshocker Sigma
NNID
KayeCruiser
Switch FC
0740-7501-7043
@Higure

To hell with Epic Falcon, my Onslaught Falcon runs circles around it. Not to mention Hyper Sonic. >:3 *SMACKED*

darksamus77

Smash Champion
NNID
darksamus77
3DS FC
3282-3124-8340
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Syqjd3scL-4

:p

@dant: Honestly, I'd feel bad taking credit for that thread. Kirk taught me what he knew and I went on from there. If you look at it, I've actually contributed very little to it. At the time of creating it, it seemed foreign to me still. With all the work you've done, it's just easy mode now :p
Code please? :chuckle: I did not know that ever actually happened, thanks Dant!

Alphatron

Smash Champion
^As you can see from the video, it didn't work exactly as intended. He set Rainbow Cruise's default songs to 0 and one of the default songs played anyway, instead of the additional one. If he got it to work, I think he would have been kind enough to release it to us. I could always be wrong in my assumptions though.

brawlshifter

Smash Lord
If you look at this, you're a stalker: NorCal
Oh cool, when i was doing movie replacing i totally missed that param folder. Yeh in there, there is some textures with the names of characters, the video is just the audio and visual of the video.

One day i might write up a little tut on how to get videos working (its pretty easy), but later.
I know exactly how to do it, but I haven't had confirmation that it works or not, nor have I tried myself yet, so does it work?

Kaye Cruiser

Waveshocker Sigma
NNID
KayeCruiser
Switch FC
0740-7501-7043
I brain exploded at the time, sorry about that Shifter. I fixed it. XD

Higure Hokousha

Smash Rookie
I chose epic falcon as an example of something that was one of those first few clumsy forays into moveset hacking, I could have used any of the basic "let's add an element to so-and-sos attacks" PSAs instead. Onslaught Falcon and Hyper Sonic, however, are both very well done PSA's, and would more appropriate alongside Soren and Mewtwo, whether they are broken or not.

Kei_Takaro

Smash Lord
Actually, I would probably want a...

"Brawl+ : The DVD"

The above is not actually possible since most of the physics tweaks come from codes and not replaceable PACs.
I dream this would happen someday...Maybe Not..

Kei_Takaro

Smash Lord
^You got that right
I probably have too high expectations >.>

One question would still bother me though, would it be possible to translate codes into something that can be injected into ISO

I'll probably edit my post

Kei_Takaro

Smash Lord
Just came to realize guys that this thread became more of a request thread than something helpfuly constructive. <.< yes, and one of those piplz might be me. I'll proly keep that post somewhere else since it kinda seemed irrelevant to the topic

Dantarion

Smash Champion
Kei, I could definetly embed the code handler and codes into the main.dol of the game if I tried hard enough.

All I would have to do is take a memory dump of when the game is first loaded (before it executes) and then do the same thing with the codes loaded.

OMG Kei...this could be something cool. You know....some USB loaders have alt .dol support, but no gameconfig.txt support.

Almas

Smash Lord
Most of the codes in effect can be done by changing files - in effect, almost every code is overwriting something in the RAM, and the RAM comes from the files... But it's not the kind of thing I think is worth working on. Then again, the best things to work on are the most interesting things to work on.

Nerd With An Afro

Smash Journeyman

Do you mean the creation of new THP files (using THPconv and DSPTool) or just getting the swapping correct? ive got the first part figured out but i cant test it because i don't got usb/backup and as already stated, File replacement code (may just be 3.5.1?) isnt working either.

darksamus77

Smash Champion
NNID
darksamus77
3DS FC
3282-3124-8340
All I want really is a working clone engine and a CSS with extra slots. The rest isn't that important to be fair :p
Being able to change the number of song slots per stage is that important too. It's ridiculous that some stages have 12 songs and others have only 5.We've never been able to do anything in music hacks beyond Custom Song Titles and our custom music in Brawl

brawlshifter

Smash Lord
Do you mean the creation of new THP files (using THPconv and DSPTool) or just getting the swapping correct? ive got the first part figured out but i cant test it because i don't got usb/backup and as already stated, File replacement code (may just be 3.5.1?) isnt working either.
Videos cannot be run using the SD Loading method, only through ISO hacking and USB loading.

Nerd With An Afro

Smash Journeyman
Videos cannot be run using the SD Loading method, only through ISO hacking and USB loading.
already knew that (lol, i sorta said it in my post) , but theres always hope. i remember when people got called dumb for asking how to swap music with the (old, 2.1) code or saying something like playing with boss characters. i may write a (noob friendly) guide myself on the creation of the THP files, but im not going to until i test if they work in game via backup better idea. (dont want to give people something that doesnt work at all do i?)

Smash Ace
Lol i remember when i used to say that streaming music from an sd would break it at all and everyone would just rage at me.

Nerd With An Afro

Smash Journeyman

Smash Ace
Nice, but the video and audio isn't converted right. I remember getting one working with perfect audio and perfect video, required some time figuring out what settings the brawl THPs use.

Hozu

Smash Journeyman
Dant: Go for it. :bee:

And AA: You can read burned DVDs with a softmod, though.
Sort of true. Any Wiis made after August '09 (I think) can't used burned discs in any way. USB Loader is the only way to go for those.

brawlshifter

Smash Lord
already knew that (lol, i sorta said it in my post)
Oh, sorry, I misread your post. I thought that you were saying that you were trying to do it via file patch code.

I remember when i finally burned a disc for custom music, 2 hours later, PW released 3.1.... but good times.

Edit: lol, THP swapped the OPmovie with the tats vs caps opening, and it worked.

Edit 2: THP swap http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHahck9hRZQ

Edit 3: Custom THP http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJwHHDi-L0Y
I noticed you swapped the audio too, does Brawl use MTH files too?

JediKnightTemplar

Smash Lord
I honestly won't consider Brawl hacking complete until you can make a model in blender, give it proper animations, make a PSA, record some sounds for SFX, and make an entirely new CSS option with relative ease so that even a relative noob can easily do it (this would require major PSA restructuring though, as most can't do much more than change flags and other fairly basic things.

NeonTogepi

Smash Journeyman
What we can hack:
-Visual-
Textures
Models
Animations
Words
The Character Select Screen (Can we change the ways the other menus are sorted?)
Movies, iirc
Music
Sound Effects, iirc

-Non Visual-
Character Attributes
Character Move Attributes
Stage Collisions

What We CAN'T Hack:
-Visual-
N/A?

-Non Visual-
The Very Engine Itself (This could be used for adding new things. I.E., making it possible for everyone to ride Wario's bike, having A and B hit at the same time trigger a different attack, ect.)
SSE Enemy and Boss Attributes
Item Attributes
How Replays Are Structured (But, is this even needed?)
Target Locations in Break the Targets?
How to Swap Between Characters a la Zelda/Shiek
Nana, iirc
Several Parts of the SSE, including loading new stage sections, where and what things
spawn, door locations, and more
Animating stages? (i.e. the bg of Final Destination)
"Clone Engine"

So, only about 8 things left. Wow. We're amazing.

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
Has anyone done any successful animation work on stage elements that have gameplay effects beyond really simple things like "make it not move"? I've had a horrible time with that on Mushroomy Kingdom editing the scrolling animation, curious if anyone else has done work on other stage animations. It's in the "possible" column, but I'm not sure that it has been done.

Nerd With An Afro

Smash Journeyman
Nice, but the video and audio isn't converted right. I remember getting one working with perfect audio and perfect video, required some time figuring out what settings the brawl THPs use.
it was most likely because i used an emulator (normal videos also had that effect and NTSC brawl now works), and im having someone test it using USB/backup.

I noticed you swapped the audio too, does Brawl use MTH files too?
umm, what the heck is an MTH? THPconv uses .wav files and DSPtool (or something like that) for the music.

I will be writing (and most likely releasing) a Noob Easy to use guide tonight, but other than the SDK files, you would also need something that can convert videos into Serial JPG's (AKA, an image for each frame), and the only program i know that can do that is Adobe After Effects CS4. anyone from the time of Cupash and +1 textures know that Adobe Photoshop was pirated alot because of that, and i don't want this to have the same effect. if you of you know a free program that can do that, please inform me.

Slashy

Smash Lord
Neon, you're missing save file hacking, event match hacking, how characters are grouped into series, adding music, modifying tournament and rotation modes.

Kei_Takaro

Smash Lord
^and knowing AI Scripting technically speaking, but we don't need it actually right?

Well I almost forgot, we're able to null the CPUs with replacing the hex values with 0s

Nerd With An Afro

Smash Journeyman
Neon, you're missing save file hacking, event match hacking, how characters are grouped into series, adding music, modifying tournament and rotation modes.
dont forget how the characters are unlocked, and a lot of other useless things that we dont care about, such as the stickers abilities and that wall... of unlockables. on top of that, we barely touched SSE yet.

Nerd With An Afro

Smash Journeyman
We've been able to hex Nana for about 2 months now :/
why am i not informed of this kind of useful information? i thought openSA2 (which hasn't been released) was the only thing capable of editing nana, but we can hex it? how would that be done and would it be possible to add new things (such as hitboxes, and other things) or is it only possible to edit due to the pointers and offsets?

brawlshifter

Smash Lord
What we can hack:
-Visual-
Textures
Models
Animations
Words
The Character Select Screen (Can we change the ways the other menus are sorted?)
Movies, iirc
Music < That isn't really visual...
Sound Effects, iirc < Neither is that...

-Non Visual-
Character Attributes
Character Move Attributes
Stage Collisions
AI, slightly
Save file hacking (see below)

What We CAN'T Hack:
-Visual-
N/A?
Model importing (other than MDL0) (well, there kind of is a way, but it is untested)
Texture animations (completely), iirc

-Non Visual-
The Very Engine Itself (This could be used for adding new things. I.E., making it possible for everyone to ride Wario's bike, having A and B hit at the same time trigger a different attack, ect.)
SSE Enemy and Boss Attributes
Item Attributes
How Replays Are Structured (But, is this even needed?)
Target Locations in Break the Targets?
How to Swap Between Characters a la Zelda/Shiek
Nana, iirc
Several Parts of the SSE, including loading new stage sections, where and what things
spawn, door locations, and more
Animating stages? (i.e. the bg of Final Destination)
"Clone Engine"
Hurtboxes
Single custom stage.bin files (might be easy, but I don't think anyone has tried yet)

So, only about 8 11 things left. Wow. We're amazing.
Just a couple changes. Someone add to this if I forgot something or correct me if I'm wrong.

umm, what the heck is an MTH? THPconv uses .wav files and DSPtool (or something like that) for the music.
The way I learned to hack videos was by using the Melee guide, which uses MTH files as audio in the THP, along with the video itself.

Neon, you're missing save file hacking,
Wrong. I could easily hack a save file, after researching the structure for a day or so. Before I started Brawl hacking and learned about ISOs and stuff like that, save file hacking was the only way I hacked.

Top Bottom