• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What Game Should I Get?

Rutger

Smash Master
3DS FC
1676-3683-2689
Varist, you may want to look into Etrian Odyssey. It might fit what you want.

It's a first person dungeon crawler JRPG with a turn based battle system, the important part is that you create your entire party from the ground up, you pick there class and as they level up you have complete freedom towards what skills they will learn. The third game even lets you give your characters a sub-class half way through, so there is a lot of customization.
Though you have to draw your own map, so even that will look different than what others make, but this could be a negative point for some.
Also, character's can only be equipped with four things, generally one weapon plus three armor or accessory items, so I don't know how you will feel about that.

And then the game starts by throwing you into a labyrinth and says good freaking luck.
You'll probably get killed by a deer.

They are all for the DS, the fourth game was just announced for the 3DS. They are Atlus games so they are probably hard to find now as well.
Actually, I don't know where you are so you might not even be able to find the games at all, 2 and 3 were not released in EU.

I'm never against recommending the Shin Megami Tensei series as well, but the amount of customization varies from game to game. Still pretty good with all the demon fusing you will be doing.

#HBC | Ryker

Netplay Monstrosity
BRoomer
Hmm, if you have a DS, have you tried The World Ends With You?

It also fits your description pretty well.
Saw the thread. Wanted to plug TWEWY. You beat me to it.

Final Fantasy Tactics (PS1) is a strategy RPG, similar to the Fire Emblem series, that also sounds like it would do.

Lythium

underachiever
BRoomer
Scott Pilgrim is alright, it suffers from a lot of weird bugs though, and I'm not sure if they patched them out. What about Castle Crashers? It's basically the same thing, side-scrolling beat-'em-up, but I spent loads more time playing that than Scott Pilgrim. But to each their own.

Other decent games that spring to mind: Wipeout HD, Modnation Racers, and Mortal Kombat (you can play 4-player tag team). Also, you can usually find a couple shooters/sports games here and there that support 4-player, although I can't think of any off of the top of my head, except FIFA and maaaybe Black Ops?

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
I've completed Skyrim, I didn't have any fun at all. It was horrible and monotonous to me.

My friend David recommended Xenogear and Xenosaga, Morrowind, IVAN, and FFI.

Any other games with just a **** ton of gear slots?
Monster Hunter.

Do it now.

Holder of the Heel

Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
Passing by to just say the most recent Mario Party game that came out today is WAY better than the previous one and actually worth purchasing.

Still have no CLUE on why that is,like come on Nintendo.

Oh yeah, was wondering if anyone knows of a unique type of game.

I'll use these as a reference if anyone has played them.

Elite Beat Agents, Nier, TWEWY, and Ghost Trick.

All of them have really well crafted stories (imo) and gameplay was completely different (and maybe more bizarre) than anything I've ever played.

Lythium

underachiever
BRoomer
You've pretty much named the first ones that I would recommend, so maybe try:

- Big Bang Mini
- Contact
- Hotel Dusk: Room 215
- Trauma Center

I gave you DS games to work with, since I noticed mostly DS games with the examples you gave.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
I can't agree with that, given how I personally have been divided from my friends due to college/work. Yes, I could go make "new" friends, and have them play, but how many even play video games? "Hey, do you wanna come over for Mario Party?" Is not something that works compared to when we were 10 or even 15. At least with online play, I'm not stuck playing a party game with computers. You can't have friends over every single day.

The only concern I'd have about MP is people quitting quickly and easily.

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
I can't agree with that, given how I personally have been divided from my friends due to college/work. Yes, I could go make "new" friends, and have them play, but how many even play video games? "Hey, do you wanna come over for Mario Party?" Is not something that works compared to when we were 10 or even 15. At least with online play, I'm not stuck playing a party game with computers. You can't have friends over every single day.

The only concern I'd have about MP is people quitting quickly and easily.
That's why you don't play it everyday, and only when friends are over. Well for things like Mario Party, anyways.

But for games like.. Monster Hunter I agree with you. I wish they all had online servers. I don't have friends that play this besides one and my girlfriend. Using Ad hoc Party can get tedious...

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Well, I'd definitely prefer playing with my friends over online, because it'd be easier than to having them come over given distance. Same time, I wouldn't mind playing others, because I am a fan of the MP series. It has become repetitive though, but a long absence hopefully would have remedied that.

If they weren't going to give it online, should have saved it for the 3DS or Wii U.

Hat N' Clogs

John Tavares is a Leaf
3DS FC
1650-2469-6836
Switch FC
SW-3519-9567-9870
Online play has the advantage of distance, but sometimes the connection speed is slow. You don't have to deal with connection problems if you don't play online.

Holder of the Heel

NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
Xenoblade Chronicles.

It's a game about heropon Riki, who is the true heir of the monado. You follow him on his legendary adventure to fight scary dinobeasts and make his friends happy so he can go home to his littlepons.

Master Xanthan

Smash Champion
So it seems that Amazon is selling Sega Dreamcast consoles for 35 bucks. Idk if I'm gonna buy it, but if I do, what games should I get for it? (besides Sonic Adventure 1 and 2, I already own the Gamecube versions).

John2k4

The End of an Era
That's interesting...are they refurbs, or new?

I've got a Dreamcast from way back, but the laser is starting to fail.

John2k4

The End of an Era
I've got a whole box of Dreamcast games that someone gave me. I know that Powerstone and Gauntlet are among them. :b:

yani

Smash Lord
I second getting Jet Grind Radio for DC. I also had lots of fun with SEGA Marine Fishing.

enCouRaging Bear

Smash Journeyman
trying to decide on a 3d fighting game... probably going with tekken before tag 2 comes out
which is the best tekken game thus far?
or is there another 3d fighting game that's better for the ps3?

Lythium

underachiever
BRoomer
I wouldn't so much ask as to what the best Tekken game is, because most people would say 3, but pretty much no one plays a FG that isn't current.

So, for current 3D fighting games on PS3, you could go with Tekken 6 or Soul Calibur 5. Or maybe the Naruto games, if those are your thing.

Holder of the Heel

NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
Just beat Xenoblade Chronicles finally. Took 70 hours of playing! Then it asked me if I wanted to make a new file with the "New Game +" and carry over my level and some equipment.

**** I am seriously going to do this all again to get to 99. -_-

finalark

SNORLAX
So it seems that Amazon is selling Sega Dreamcast consoles for 35 bucks. Idk if I'm gonna buy it, but if I do, what games should I get for it? (besides Sonic Adventure 1 and 2, I already own the Gamecube versions).
There was a period in my life where I was obsessed with the Dreamcast. I pretty much exclusively played it, bought the most legendary and even the out of the way titles for it and I can give you a pretty solid run down of the console that I love.

Games n' ****:

Sonic Adventure 1/2:

The most generic games, you might find SA1 hasn't really aged well but SA2 is pretty fun. However, if you already own the GC ports outside of some DLC that's borderline impossible to get unless you want to jump through hoops you're really not missing out.

Shenmue:

Shenmue is a love it or hate it game. I can certainly say there's no other game quite like it (except for Yakuza, which is the spiritual successor to the franchise but has a stronger focus on combat rather than story). If you'll like the game or not pretty much boils down to if you enjoy slow, story driven adventure games with a few puzzles here and there. Its worth a try if you enjoy old adventure games and you want to see an eastern take on the genre. If not I'd say give this one a pass.

Skies of Arcadia:

If you like Japanese RPGs, you hands down need to play Skies of Arcadia. From a game play standpoint, there's some decent character customization and the combat is fun, but the story and setting are what sell it. The game plays every single JRPG cliche of the pre-PS1 era straight with an air of self consciousness about it and it ends up being one of the single most enjoyable JRPGs I've ever played. The characters are fun, the "world in the sky" setting mixed in with pirates and steampunk is truely unique and even though I could criticize this game to the moon and back there's just something about it that makes it awesome. If you've ever like JPRGs, this game is worth a shot for sure.

Power Stone 1/2:

If you have friends that are open minded, this it THE game to play. The original Power Stone basically throw you and an opponent into a 3D arena where you can grab objects and use the environment to fight over the Power Stones. When you grab three, you go into your super mode and it gives you an edge over your opponent. Think wrestling meets Dragonball Z meets Tom and Jerry. The second game is equally as fun and lets you play with up to four players but it does certainly have a "party game" sort of feel about it. But if that doesn't bother you both games are worth picking up if you can track them down.

Crazy Taxi 1/2:

I love these games. Straight out arcade action, not bothering with story, the game just throws you right into the game. The concept is simple, get your passenger to his/her destination as quickly as possible. Its fast, its fun and its one of those games you can play for maybe five minuets or five hours. I personally prefer the second game more due to (IMO) better stages and better bonus challenges. I consider these games must owns for the Dreamcast.

Marvel VS Capcom 1/2:

Pretty straightforward and pretty awesome. Basically a tag-team Street Fighter-esque fighter (more so the first than the second) where you can play as either Marvel or Capcom characters. These games can be stupidly fun especially if you have friends who want to play it with you. The second game is more widely remembered but tell you the truth I actually like the first one a little more.

Gauntlet Legends:

If you haven't played Gauntlet, then prepare to be addicted. Gauntlet is basically a hack and slash where you and three of your bros beat up monsters and avoid traps. The game can be grindy and repetitious as hell but when you're with three of your friends you generally are having too much fun to even care. If you've already played Dark Legacy you might want to give this one a shot anyway since it does have several major differences from Dark Legacy.

Its late and that's all I can think of off the top of my head. Here's a few more games I can loosely recommend or are worth a look for some reason or another:

- Phantasy Star Online (kinda boring when played offline, if you're willing to jump through hoops to get your DC online quite a bit of people still play)
- Resident Evil Code Veronica (IMO the early RE games haven't aged well making those games hard to recommend)
- House of the Dead 2 (its more fun when you have a light gun)
- Grandia II (good game play, you will hate every character in this game)
- Jet Grind Radio (the sequel on the original Xbox is miles above the original, JGR is still good and very unique but I don't see a point in playing it when the sequel is so much better)
- Quake III Arena (fun local multiplayer if you and three bros are willing to put up with wonky controls)
- Space Channel 5 (its a very love it or hate it game based pretty much on if you like pop music and like the outlandish style)
- Soul Calibur (Soul Calibur II outclasses this game in every way. Much like the case with JGR, I don't see the point in playing SC1 aside from maybe novelty when the sequel is so much better)

/enddreamgasm

PM me if you want more details/recommendations.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Just beat Xenoblade Chronicles finally. Took 70 hours of playing! Then it asked me if I wanted to make a new file with the "New Game +" and carry over my level and some equipment.

**** I am seriously going to do this all again to get to 99. -_-
You need to clarify something for me. Just how much time do the side quests take up? A friend of mine who's playing it says he's 102 hours in, and about halfway through the story. Up until then, he had just been doing side quests and exploration.

Sidequests can make the gameplay go up to 200 hours. Most are the usual fetch quests or " defeat 5 ..." though so ehh. Game does do an amazing job on exploration, rest of the elements don't compare.

:phone:

Holder of the Heel

NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
Yeah, there are almost too many quests. I agree that I'm generally not to interested in doing them, I usually don't directly try to do them, it is best to explore, killing anything new you find on the way, and collect any items you find. Most of the time you can clear quests simply by doing that. But yeah, a lot of the time it isn't like that and it would require a lot of time to do. Sometimes it is worth it though, for some quest chains that grant you important items or stuff are nice, and a few normal quests have really nice rewards.

As the Wanderer says, wandering around the game is by far the best part of the game in terms of playing through each area.

Holder of the Heel

NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
For those who pre-ordered Guild Wars 2 on their website, the beta starts up in seven days. :D Can't wait!

Lythium

underachiever
BRoomer
Has anyone played Fez on XBLA? I'm thinking of actually setting up my 360 again just to play it. It'll probably explode, but I've heard good things.

Top Bottom