• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What Game Should I Get?

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885

Nah, not gonna bite that bait. :/

Though, Ni No Kuni, I tried the demo and couldn't really get into it, the combat didn't feel all that great. I may give it another try, but it felt like all it really had going for it was the Studio Ghibli style.

I don't know, maybe I'm missing something about its appeal. I'd love to be proven wrong though, I can always have more good JRPGs.
Aren't ALL JRPG's about style over substance?

Rutger

Smash Master
3DS FC
1676-3683-2689
Maybe if that's all you want to get out of them.

The battle system is the first thing that matters to me when picking up a JRPG.

Master Xanthan

Smash Champion
Has anyone here played Star Wars: The Old Republic? I've been thinking about getting it, but I've heard mixed things about it.

finalark

SNORLAX
Has anyone here played Star Wars: The Old Republic? I've been thinking about getting it, but I've heard mixed things about it.
I played it when it was subscription based. It's as close to KOTOR 3 as you're going to get. The free version feels limited as hell, and in all honesty it feels more like a single player games with a bunch of other people than an MMORPG.

It's fun for what it is, though.

Master Xanthan

Smash Champion
I played it when it was subscription based. It's as close to KOTOR 3 as you're going to get. The free version feels limited as hell, and in all honesty it feels more like a single player games with a bunch of other people than an MMORPG.

It's fun for what it is, though.
Well, since kotor 3 is what I wanted in the first place, I guess I'll settle for the old republic.

Mr.Jackpot

Smash Lord
Anyone got suggestions for PSP games?

I have a slight perference torwards fighting games and deeper hack and slash/beat em ups but I'm honestly not that picky about genre.

lordvaati

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-4918-2392-4599
^Megaman Powered Up is probably one of the best remakes this side of M:ZM, and also has other playable characters and downloadable levels,so that would be good.

Dissidia is pretty much a fusion of fighter, RPG, and hack & Slash, so it may scratch that itch for ya(012 would be best, since I believe it also came with the original story of the first game as an unlockable.)

finalark

SNORLAX
Anyone got suggestions for PSP games?

I have a slight perference torwards fighting games and deeper hack and slash/beat em ups but I'm honestly not that picky about genre.
Dissidia Final Fantasy (Think Power Stone but with heavy RPG elements)

Castlevania: Dracula X Chronicles (The two best Castlevania games IMO on one disk)

God of War: Ghosts of Sparta and Chains of Olympus (not as good as the console games but still worth playing)

Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII (RPG with strong beat em up elements)

Those are really the only games I remember being worth while when I had a PSP. Mostly Castlevania, I can't tell you how hooked I was on that collection.

Lythium

underachiever
BRoomer
Guilty Gear Judgement is a decent beat-'em-up.

Lots of RPGs to choose from at least, and Loco Roco is a fun game, if a little easy, but there's a lot of stuff to collect.

finalark

SNORLAX
If you're into fighters then check out:

- Mortal Kombat
- Soulcalibur V
- Super Street Fighter IV
- Ultimate Marvel VS. Capcom
- Blazblue Calamity Trigger

Those are just a few off the top of my head. I have no idea how they are on a competitive level but I enjoyed playing them on an intermediate level.

Lythium

underachiever
BRoomer
That BlazBlue is the oldest (and out-of-date) version. Extend is the one that's current.

Though I'd wait if I were you, BB Chrono Phantasma is out in arcades, so everyone is waiting for a console release of that.

LivewiresXe

Smash Hero
Yeah, pretty much what Lythi said. In the meantime, you can try out Persona 4 Arena. It's a good game that you don't even need to know the series history to play (it remains the only Persona game I've been able to play, even though I know how the story goes from the anime). Tekken Tag Tournament 2 is a really good game that's fun as hell, but it's also hard as hell too. Also, Injustice is coming out in a couple of weeks. It's made by the same people that make Mortal Kombat, and looks worth checking out if you want a non-Capcom spin on a comic book fighter.

LegitLegend

Smash Rookie
If you're into fighters then check out:

- Mortal Kombat
- Soulcalibur V
- Super Street Fighter IV
- Ultimate Marvel VS. Capcom
- Blazblue Calamity Trigger

Those are just a few off the top of my head. I have no idea how they are on a competitive level but I enjoyed playing them on an intermediate level.
I already have Mortal Kombat, I am not into Street Fighter and I gave my UMVC3 to a friend because I didn't feel like putting into the time to learn those combos on a pad. I love Blazblue and I have everyone in the series since the first and waiting for CP! I mainly play it for the story though, which is kinda weird for a fighting game player right haha.

TheKalmarKing

Smash Apprentice
Playing a fighting game for it's story is honorable and reasonable. I don't see why that would be weird.

Also UMVC3 can be played without learning extra-long combos, you can opt for precision instead. Practical, fast and powerful. And certainly a lot less boring than inputting the same inputs again and again and again. :p

Lythium

underachiever
BRoomer
It sounds like what you're saying is that you can do the magic series over and over again, and win. Which is actually less practical, and has you input the combo over and over again.

Or maybe I'm just misinterpreting that? Also, I don't really get how shorter combos are more "precise," considering practical combos in Marvel are generally optimal ones (read: long and touch of death).

TheKalmarKing

Smash Apprentice
It sounds like what you're saying is that you can do the magic series over and over again, and win. Which is actually less practical, and has you input the combo over and over again.

Or maybe I'm just misinterpreting that? Also, I don't really get how shorter combos are more "precise," considering practical combos in Marvel are generally optimal ones (read: long and touch of death).
No, you are not misinterpreting. Online, many people just input the same combo again and again because WANNA WIN HAR HAR. Their only goal is to make you lower your guard for a moment to hit you. That's pretty boring to watch indeed.

Also I should explain myself for the second part: what I meant is "Strike at the right moment with the right move". Not just rush or camp; use what's appropriate to ensure damage. Okay, that's still weird. But it's all about timing.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
I'm interested in playing "Gone Home" after IGN praised it. Definitely seems like a very unique game. Also led me to reading up on "Dear Esther". Anyone tried these games out?

Lythium

underachiever
BRoomer
I played Dear Esther a while ago. It was kinda weird, but also interesting? I dunno, it's a bit hard to describe without giving away plot details, haha. It's pretty short if I remember correctly, you could probably beat it in one sitting.

finalark

SNORLAX
I'm interested in playing "Gone Home" after IGN praised it. Definitely seems like a very unique game. Also led me to reading up on "Dear Esther". Anyone tried these games out?

I played Dear Ether a while ago. I wouldn't really call it a game as much as a "wander around a spooky island simulator". It's not for everyone, but if you like atmospheric pieces its worth taking a look at.

#HBC | Dark Horse

Mach-Hommy x Murakami
I hate to be that guy but **** it.

Gone home is a waste of money. 2 hours of gameplay, and nothing that you get adds up to a satisfying conclusion. And when that's all that your game is, it's not going to be good.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Has anyone played Rune Factory?

If so, would you need to get ALL of them, or just the newest one?

Lythium

underachiever
BRoomer
I've only played some of the handheld ones, and I've heard the console RFs are quite different. They're fun. Basically, it's Harvest Moon with dungeons and waifus mixed in.

I'd stick with getting one of the newer ones, but there's enough improvements and gameplay changes that might make it harder to go back to the previous ones if you wanted more. The storylines don't carry over, but there are some jokes and references that you might not get if you haven't played the previous games.

BoomToon

Smash Apprentice
Hi everyone!

I'm looking to get into the Metroid series more. I've played the older Metroid games but haven't gotten around to playing the ones for gamecube/wii. Do you guys reccomend I start with the Prime games or Other M?

Rutger

Smash Master
3DS FC
1676-3683-2689
Forget Other M exists.

Because it doesn't.

All three Primes are great games, you may be able to find the trilogy collection at gamestop for $60. I don't know how hard it would be to find the original copies though.

Rutger

Smash Master
3DS FC
1676-3683-2689
Well, I guess I'll be fair, some people do like it.

But I think it is god awful. The gameplay is meh, it's very linear, the wiimote on its side sucks, but it could play much worse, the story though?
Well, what do you think about Samus breaking down in front of Ridley, when she has fought him at least six times before this?
And there's so many monologues, and she's not allowed to do anything unless Adam says it's okay.

I know the story isn't that important to Metroid, but I just can't overlook it, especially not when the gameplay is average at best. :/

Even ignoring my hate for that game, finding the Trilogy collection would be a better choice anyways since you'll get three well received games to try out.

BoomToon

Smash Apprentice
Thanks for the advice! I'll definitely check out the Prime Triology collection first. Having three games should keep me busy for a while. I'll come back to Other M later on.

finalark

SNORLAX
I'm going to third saying don't bother with Other M. It's seriously not even a Metroid game. Do yourself a favor and hunt down all three Metroid Primes. That entire series is great from start to finish.

James92

Smash Apprentice
NNID
jgrim92
I just got a used DSi (in great condition) a couple of weeks ago. Anybody have any reccomendations? I'll pretty much play any genre of game. I already have Mario Kart DS and Sonic Classic Collection.

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
Well, I guess I'll be fair, some people do like it.

But I think it is god awful. The gameplay is meh, it's very linear, the wiimote on its side sucks, but it could play much worse, the story though?
Well, what do you think about Samus breaking down in front of Ridley, when she has fought him at least six times before this?
And there's so many monologues, and she's not allowed to do anything unless Adam says it's okay.

I know the story isn't that important to Metroid, but I just can't overlook it, especially not when the gameplay is average at best. :/

Even ignoring my hate for that game, finding the Trilogy collection would be a better choice anyways since you'll get three well received games to try out.
I though the story was hilariously bad.

Mari

Saving the planet from disaster!
I gotz a PS2 for Christmas.

Games I have:
Kingdom Hearts 1
Shining Tears
Virtua Fighter 4
Sonic Heroes
SEGA Superstar Tennis
Sonic Riders: Zero Gravity
Stella Deus: Gate to Infinity
And a bunch more that are not worth mentioning...

What I like:
RPGs
Sonic and SEGA
Sci-Fi
Music/Rhythm
Anything with a good plot/story.

Suggestions? Even if it doesn't match my likes.

Rutger

Smash Master
3DS FC
1676-3683-2689
Persona 4 is a must. Priority number one for you.
Persona 3 is great too, but the gameplay is a bit of a step back from P4.

Look for Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne if you want something with a great turn based battle system and a nice challenge, but the story is extremely minimalistic.

Those a just a few JRPGs off the top of my head.

finalark

SNORLAX
RPGs
Sonic and SEGA
Anything with a good plot/story.
You NEED to check out Yakuza 1 + 2. They're a series of semi-open world beat 'em up RPG hybrids made by SEGA. Think Shenmue but with more to do, better controls and (IMO) a better story and characters, even if the cut scenes have a tendency to get rather long winded.

Other than that, I would highly recommend Persona 3 and Persona 4. IMO Persona 4 is the superior game, with much better game play and narrative, although 3 is still worth your time.

Final Fantasy X and XII are also really good, X is more linear with rather strategic turn based combat while XII is more open with (IMO) somewhat clunky but still good semi-real time combat. Both are good, but its apple to oranges.

Xenosaga isn't terrible either, I've only played the first one and its got a neat combat system and an interesting story (think 2001 but with less subtly and with anime tropes out the ass). Although it is really, really flawed and the cut scenes drag on forever. Its cheap these days so if the game looks interesting to you I'd suggest giving it a shot.

Star Ocean: Til the End of Time isn't terrible. The story sucks IMO but it has a fun combat system. Just know that if you're going into the game expecting a sci-fi RPG prepared to be very disappointed.

Those are just a few RPGs off the top of my head for the console that you might dig. If I remember any more later I'll come back and edit them in.

EDIT: A few non-RPG suggestions that you might like:

The Jak trilogy is a series of platformers with the first game being rather traditional while the second and third games mix up the platforming with vehicles and gun play, the narrative is actually pretty interesting as far as platformers go to boot. IMO best game in the trilogy is probably 3, but 2 left more of an impact on me.

Shadow of the Colossus is practically a must if you own a PS2, the whole game is a series of boss fights where each fight is a puzzle. Easily one of the best games on the console IMO.

Metal Gear Solid 2 + 3 if stealth game play with a complex plot (although the cut scenes are really long and really drag in places) appeals to you then I highly recommend these games. IMO MGS3 is the better of the two games, with a significantly better game play that also focus on survival and a better story.

There's a few other games I had in mind, but most of them likely wouldn't appeal to you. Plus this post was starting to go from PS2 recommendations to Finalark's Favorite PS2 Games.

Persona 4 is a must. Priority number one for you.
Persona 3 is great too, but the gameplay is a bit of a step back from P4.
Goddamn it, Rutger, you beat me to it. Well, Mari, now you have two people's word that P4 is good, so consider that.

Last edited:
Top Bottom