• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What Game Should I Get?

finalark

SNORLAX
So, for the longest time I completely dismissed the Visual Novel genre. Then I picked up Katawa Shoujo, fell in love with it, finished it, and now I'm curious to know what else I've been missing. I'm looking for VN recommendations. They don't have to be romance, in all honesty I'd like to see what the genre has to offer beyond that, but character driven stories with strong writing are my cup of tea.

And if it helps with recommendations, I ended up reading Rin's arc, which had me thoroughly engaged from beginning to end.

Rutger

Smash Master
3DS FC
1676-3683-2689
I don't play many Visual Novels, and haven't played Katawa Shoujo, but 999: Nine Hours, Nine People, Nine Doors and its sequel Virtues Last Reward immediately come to mind.

Maybe the Ace Attorney games? Those aren't typical visual novels though.

Someone else may have other suggestions. I don't think many VN make it out of Japan though, which makes things complicated.

Lythium

underachiever
BRoomer
Definitely 999 and VLR, they're both really good. I also recommend Ever 17 if you like those, I think it's written by the same guy. Hakuoki is aimed towards the ladies, but it's a historical feudal Japanese VN. Hotel Dusk: Room 215 and Trace Memory, though I'm not sure how well those hold up nowadays.

Ace Attorney and Ghost Trick to a certain extent, I guess, but those feel more like puzzle or point and click games sometimes.

I haven't played them, but I've heard Lux Pain, Time Hollow, and Theresia are all pretty decent. Corpse Party sounds good too, but I think there's some wandering around and shizz, I dunno. For PC, I would try Fate/Stay Night, Clannad, or Saya no Uta, but there might be nudey ladies in those.

HeavySmashGuy

Smash Cadet
NNID
HeavyBrawlsGuy
3DS FC
1977-1276-9162
I apparently lost my 3DS 2 months ago, and I'm getting one secondhand on eBay. I've been looking for a new game to get, and I was thinking maybe Bravely Default(everyone on Serenes forest won't stop rambling about it) or Front Mission 2089(tactical RPG never released in the states, I can't read Japanese). Of those two, which one should I get? Also, do you have any RPGs you would recommend for the DS/3DS?

Lythium

underachiever
BRoomer
3DS is region-locked, so there's no point in getting Japanese games unless you've also got a Japanese 3DS.

I'm not very far into Bravely Default, but it's really good. I definitely recommend it! Other than that, I would consider picking up (if you haven't already) Fire Emblem: Awakening, Etrian Odyssey IV or Millenium Girl, Pokemon, SMT IV, Soul Hackers, and Tales of the Abyss.

HeavySmashGuy

Smash Cadet
NNID
HeavyBrawlsGuy
3DS FC
1977-1276-9162
3DS is region-locked, so there's no point in getting Japanese games unless you've also got a Japanese 3DS.

I'm not very far into Bravely Default, but it's really good. I definitely recommend it! Other than that, I would consider picking up (if you haven't already) Fire Emblem: Awakening, Etrian Odyssey IV or Millenium Girl, Pokemon, SMT IV, Soul Hackers, and Tales of the Abyss.
FM2089 is a DS game from a tactical RPG series i absolutely adore(Front Mission). I don't believe it's DSi-enhanced, so i shouldn't have a problem. Also, I have FE13, as you can tell from my avatar.

Last edited:

finalark

SNORLAX
You should get Bravely Default. If you have any love for the JRPG genre, it distills everything good the genre has to offer into a near-perfect game.

Then again, I'm bias out the ass but it's still awesome.

Sedda

Smash Champion
how's tales of the abyss for the 3ds? should i buy it or just play it on the ps2? missed out on that tales game.

BLUX

Smash Cadet
so Dark Souls 2 came out and i was very disappointed to find the pvp part to be lacking (I was a huge pvp-er in Dark soul 1). the problem is i dont have an online game that is as fast and technical as Dark souls 1 to play now(since the new lag spikes and playerbase drop have killed it.) I obviously play smash but i still want a game that i can play by myself on pc or Xbox360. And i don't want any MOBA recommendations. Games i've played competitively are Soul calibur 2-4, DOTA 2 (although i don't plan on playing any MOBAs that i know of), and rainbow six vegas 2(only fps i've ever liked). And you could recommend the most obscure game ever as long as you think its good

Minato

穏やかじゃない
how's tales of the abyss for the 3ds? should i buy it or just play it on the ps2? missed out on that tales game.
Super late, but the 3ds port runs rather well. Load times are better but the frame rate isn't as good at times. Get the ps2 version if you want to play on a tv or want multiplayer.

Abyss's reception is mixed. So it's hard to say if you'll like it.
It's more Symphonia-esque, but not as good.

finalark

SNORLAX
I'm nearly done FFXHD, and I think I wanna download Persona 2 off PSN so I can play through it next. I've played both Persona 3 and 4 and I really love both games (but I like 4 more). All of my friends who are also fans of the series have only played P3/4, so if anyone has played P2 I'm curious to know if it's worth a play through or not.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
I'm nearly done FFXHD, and I think I wanna download Persona 2 off PSN so I can play through it next. I've played both Persona 3 and 4 and I really love both games (but I like 4 more). All of my friends who are also fans of the series have only played P3/4, so if anyone has played P2 I'm curious to know if it's worth a play through or not.
Definitely worth a playthrough, imo. You won't be finding a lot of similarities in gameplay besides the signature Velvet Room and persona fusions. Battles aren't that great (imo) and the tarot grinding can be a chore, but the story is good with the quality being what you'd expect out of an Persona game. P2 comes in two parts, Innocent Sin and Eternal Punishment. Play IS on PSP first, then EP.

P2 actually has some connections to the first game, but it's not necessary to play the first game. You can fill in the blanks for some parts on your own, and the first Persona game is even more dated than P2. If you feel like you want to get deeper into the Persona series or SMT in general, i definitely suggest at least playing P2.

Last edited:

finalark

SNORLAX
P2 comes in two parts, Innocent Sin and Eternal Punishment. Play IS on PSP first, then EP.
If I jump right into EP will I have no idea what's going on or will the experience be significantly diminished? Because I don't have a PSP to play IS on anymore.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
If I jump right into EP will I have no idea what's going on or will the experience be significantly diminished? Because I don't have a PSP to play IS on anymore.
If you jump right into EP, it'll be like how it was in the US originally since IS never got localized until the PSP version.

EP's the second half of the game, but without going into spoilers, you'll be able to enjoy EP without having played IS. You'll just figure that something's up and not quite right. The characters in your party aren't aware of IS's events anyway, so you'll be able to discover things normally. And if you end up enjoying EP, I don't think it'd take out any enjoyment of playing IS in the future.

Sahfarry

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2750-1620-0068
Club Nintendo Gold Rewards are being given out now, and (sadly) they're mostly VC games. I "narrowed" it down to these five:
  • Kid Icarus (WiiU)
  • Zelda II (WiiU)
  • Warioland II (3DS)
  • Metroid (3DS)
  • Mario Land 2 (3DS)
Which do you recommend?

EDIT: I would prefer to get a WiiU game, but if any of the games available on the 3DS are really good, then I would like to know :)

Last edited:

finalark

SNORLAX
I've been wanting to revisit Tales of Symphonia, but my question is should I get the GCN version or the PS3 version? I know the GCN version will be a bit pricier but I'm willing to through a few extra its way for maximum the nostalgia.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
I've been wanting to revisit Tales of Symphonia, but my question is should I get the GCN version or the PS3 version? I know the GCN version will be a bit pricier but I'm willing to through a few extra its way for maximum the nostalgia.
GCN has 60 fps battles while PS3 is at 30 fps (because they lazily took the JP PS2 version and didn't optimize it). But PS3 has a lot more extras. Dual Audio, more costumes, more mystic artes, etc. I'd go with the PS3 version. You can even go digital and buy ToS by itself to make it cheaper.

Besides that, the only things that were removed were some neat glitches/tricks that could only be done on GC.

Last edited:

finalark

SNORLAX
GCN has 60 fps battles while PS3 is at 30 fps (because they lazily took the JP PS2 version and didn't optimize it). But PS3 has a lot more extras. Dual Audio, more costumes, more mystic artes, etc. I'd go with the PS3 version. You can even go digital and buy ToS by itself to make it cheaper.

Besides that, the only things that were removed were some neat glitches/tricks that could only be done on GC.
Is the sequel work playing? If I pick up a physical copy or a digital copy is pretty much entirely dependent on this.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
Is the sequel work playing? If I pick up a physical copy or a digital copy is pretty much entirely dependent on this.
There's a lot of problems with the sequel. The writing is on another level of bad for the beginning, and the game wasn't made with a huge budget. It's interesting to see how some of the characters and areas are after the end of the first game though. Battle system has some issues, but still your typical 3D Tales from that era. If the price difference isn't all that bad, I'd say get it. There's still a fun game underneath its flaws.

Booster

Smash Lord
Lego City Undercover or Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate? I'm serious, I played Lego City Undercover and really enjoyed it, but Monster Hunter 3 looks way more badass

finalark

SNORLAX
Lego City Undercover or Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate? I'm serious, I played Lego City Undercover and really enjoyed it, but Monster Hunter 3 looks way more badass
It really depends on what you're looking for. I haven't played Lego City, but from what I've heard it's the same fun, pick up and play style game play from the other Lego crossover games but significantly more open.

MH3, I'll warn, isn't for everyone. It has one hell of a learning curve, and is best played with friends. But if you can get past that, you can easily sink 40+ hours into the game without even realizing it.

Booster

Smash Lord
It really depends on what you're looking for. I haven't played Lego City, but from what I've heard it's the same fun, pick up and play style game play from the other Lego crossover games but significantly more open.

MH3, I'll warn, isn't for everyone. It has one hell of a learning curve, and is best played with friends. But if you can get past that, you can easily sink 40+ hours into the game without even realizing it.
If it's best played with friends, how is the Online (Assuming it has it I mean it's an 8th generation game)

ndayday

stuck on a whole different plaaaanet
BRoomer
The online is 4 player co-op and pretty fun. I never really ever had issues with it.
Basically boss fights the video game as you try for different drops and such to get better gear > fight harder monsters and take harder quests > get rarer drops > and so on. But yes you would likely want to play with friends as it is honestly more like a 400+ hour timesink if you play it a fair amount...I didn't really get that into it and am at 250 hours.

Last edited:

Booster

Smash Lord
Honest question: One Piece Unlimited World Red looks really good and fun, especially on Wii U. Problem is on Wii U it's digital only. It's $50 and takes up a monstrous 15 GB of space (Why the mother****ing bull**** was it digital only if it's that ****ing big?), is it worth getting on Wii U or should I get it on PS3? Or is it not worth it at all?

leeprtr

Smash Apprentice
NNID
leeprtr
3DS FC
4210-4734-6362
are there any $8-10 eshop games i should get?
im going to get $50 on the ehop when i get smash bros.
just wondering

Lythium

underachiever
BRoomer
Pushmo, Liberation Maiden, Attack of the Friday Monsters, Steam World Dig, Gunman Clive, Mighty Switch Force, VVVVVV.

If all else fails, you could always get some older stuff like Mega Man 2 or something.

Booster

Smash Lord
Which of these games should I get for Wii U?

Lego City Undercover (Requires me to save up more money)
Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate
Scribblenauts Unlimited

Knife Myths

Smash Journeyman
Pushmo, Liberation Maiden, Attack of the Friday Monsters, Steam World Dig, Gunman Clive, Mighty Switch Force, VVVVVV.

If all else fails, you could always get some older stuff like Mega Man 2 or something.
Are you familiar with any other Guild games? I'm interested in Crimson Shroud and Weapon Shop.

Lythium

underachiever
BRoomer
Are you familiar with any other Guild games? I'm interested in Crimson Shroud and Weapon Shop.
I haven't played Crimson Shroud myself, but I've heard that it's really, really good! I think it's kind of like a tabletop RPG in video game form, with dice rolling and everything. And it's made by the same guy who did Ogre Battle 64, FFT, and Vagrant Story, if that is your cup of tea. I was planning on picking it up eventually, I just haven't got around to it yet.

I tried Weapon Shop, but I just couldn't get into it. I didn't think it was bad, just a very shallow experience, I guess? It had lots of charm and funny moments, but the game aspects of it were very repetitive, and it just wasn't that much fun honestly. Maybe it just wasn't the game for me, but I think there are better Guild games.

Hope that helps!

XDaDePsak

BRoomer
BRoomer
I have a 3DS with $17.50 left in eShop credit. What should I get?

Preferably I'm looking for something that's an eShop exclusive, (there's no physical version of the game, such as Pokemon Dream Radar) or the physical copies cost significantly more than the download (if there's enough of a digital discount, it may be worth it to DL)

I already have:
- Fire Emblem Awakening
- Pokemon X
- Mario 2
- Zelda 1
- Resident Evil Revelations
- Pokemon Battle Trozei
- Pokemon Dream Radar
- All 4 of the StreetPass games
- Comic Workshop
- Smash Bros 4 (pre-ordered)
- Pokemon Omega (pre-ordered)

Minato

穏やかじゃない
I have a 3DS with $17.50 left in eShop credit. What should I get?

Preferably I'm looking for something that's an eShop exclusive, (there's no physical version of the game, such as Pokemon Dream Radar) or the physical copies cost significantly more than the download (if there's enough of a digital discount, it may be worth it to DL)

I already have:
- Fire Emblem Awakening
- Pokemon X
- Mario 2
- Zelda 1
- Resident Evil Revelations
- Pokemon Battle Trozei
- Pokemon Dream Radar
- All 4 of the StreetPass games
- Comic Workshop
- Smash Bros 4 (pre-ordered)
- Pokemon Omega (pre-ordered)
I second Shovel Knight. Also Gunvolt is a good choice too. If you buy it before December (?) you get Mighty Gunvolt as well for free. Just make sure to redeem the code it gives you after purchasing it. If you miss it, it's on the eshop receipt in one of the menus later.

XDaDePsak

BRoomer
BRoomer
Looking for 3DS games that have good replay value. I don't want to get a game that I beat real fast and then there's nothing to do, or it gets boring too fast.

What are the best 3DS games that keep you playing, keep you interested, don't get boring, etc.

Overclocked

Smash Cadet
NNID
superfamicomwars
I really enjoyed and put a lot of time into Kid Icarus: Uprising. A lot of my time went into just replaying the story mode missions again after I beat the game and then playing the multiplayer a lot. In fact, thinking about it again makes me want to go back and play it.

Other games that I've put a fair bit of time into are Fire Emblem and Animal Crossing. They might not be for everyone but I loved playing both of those as well. I'm sure there are others as well, like the two Zelda games.

FloatingMew

Smash Journeyman
NNID
FloatingMew
Kid Icarus: uprising has the best online multiplayer since... uh... a game.

Kid Icarus is amazing. The story, humor, weapons... I just love it.

Top Bottom