• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What Are Your Unpopular Gaming Opinions? (Ver. 2)

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Aerith is extremely overrated. Besides summoning Holy and getting captured by ShinRa she has very little plot relevance and her characterization isn't that good; it's certainly not on the same level as Cloud, Tifa, and even Barret and Nanaki.
oh that reminds me of another of mine: tifa and barret are boring and devoid of personality

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
you are dead to me. insults to tifa are punishable by death
im not sure we’ve ever met before so I doubt it matters

maybe I should double down and insult her some more? Make a change from insulting the English all the time

Last edited:

Rizen

Smash Legend
I hate when games scale up enemy power levels as your level increases. A lot of open world games do this: BotW, IFenixRising, Biomutant, etc. It makes it feel like you're never really getting stronger because the enemies are too. The devs should make games with progressively stronger enemies in later areas but let you explore previous areas with enemies not being scaled up so you actually feel powerful.

Rizen

Smash Legend
Tifa's the kind of girl you'd like to [censored] and Aerith is the kind you'd like to [not censored].

StrangeKitten

Smash Lord
I adore 3D collectathon platformers and wish there was more interest in making them from AAA developers. Donkey Kong 64 is a great game that doesn't deserve all the hate it's gotten. Wario World is a great game that deserves more attention. Both games, while flawed, feel like they laid a solid groundwork that could be improved and iterated upon. It's a pretty big bummer that this style of game has yet to be attempted again by either franchise. Also wish non-Nintendo companies would make new entries if they have popular series who fit into the 3D collectathon genre. And would love to see some fresh faces from these companies, too.

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
I adore 3D collectathon platformers and wish there was more interest in making them from AAA developers. Donkey Kong 64 is a great game that doesn't deserve all the hate it's gotten. Wario World is a great game that deserves more attention. Both games, while flawed, feel like they laid a solid groundwork that could be improved and iterated upon. It's a pretty big bummer that this style of game has yet to be attempted again by either franchise. Also wish non-Nintendo companies would make new entries if they have popular series who fit into the 3D collectathon genre. And would love to see some fresh faces from these companies, too.
I feel this way towards corridor platformers, at least collectathon fans get TONS of indie love, us corridor fans just have Crash, two Mario games, a few Sonic games of varying quality, and old M&Ms/Disney games from the 90s of an even more "varying" quality. Mobile autorunners don't count IMO.

Rizen

Smash Legend
The Mario Kart DLC is visually disappointing. It is just a bunch of flat textures for things like grass and looks like it was ripped out of MK Tour. When the competition looks like Froza Nintendo's just gotten lazy with a bunch of their content. I'm not saying MK needs to be ultra realistic but we should really be seeing individual blades of grass in 2022.
The course layouts on the other hand are very good.

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
The Mario Kart DLC is visually disappointing. It is just a bunch of flat textures for things like grass and looks like it was ripped out of MK Tour. When the competition looks like Froza Nintendo's just gotten lazy with a bunch of their content. I'm not saying MK needs to be ultra realistic but we should really be seeing individual blades of grass in 2022.
The course layouts on the other hand are very good.
I'm pretty sure that's the popular opinion.

Either way, I don't want individual blades of grass in Mario Kart - "lumps of play-doh" are much more appealing IMO regardless of technical prowess or competition.

Last edited:

Rizen

Smash Legend
I've been playing Kirby Forgotten Lands. Kirby's one of those series where you feel like you're actually playing the bad guy. Is what the beast pack is doing to those Waddle Dees really any worse than Kirby's indiscriminate slaughter of them in every other game?

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
I feel that Nintendo removing or not including advanced mechanics in their multiplayer games makes them less accessible. When I play Nick Brawl or CTR, I get the feeling I could eventually become a super-skilled player because there are easier to understand, intentionally included advanced mechanics that make it feel like a fun learning curve before fully embracing the exploits and glitches; while in Smash or Mario Kart there's only the base mechanics and glitches/exploits, so it just kinda feels like the only stages of skill are "doesn't know how to block/drift", "does know how to block/drift" and "competitive/speedrunner".

Last edited:

synkronized

Banned via Administration
I feel that Nintendo removing or not including advanced mechanics in their multiplayer games makes them less accessible. When I play Nick Brawl or CTR, I get the feeling I could eventually become a super-skilled player because there are easier to understand, intentionally included advanced mechanics that make it feel like a fun learning curve before fully embracing the exploits and glitches; while in Smash or Mario Kart there's only the base mechanics and glitches/exploits, so it just kinda feels like the only stages of skill are "doesn't know how to block/drift", "does know how to block/drift" and "competitive/speedrunner".
the thing about ultimate is a majority of the improving process is done in the mental space due to the absence of almost any tech skill, and therefore makes it hard to accurately measure how much you've changed as a player when you're at a low enough level to where you're not as aware of concepts such as neutral and conditioning.

DrCoeloCephalo

Banned via Warnings
NNID
DrCoeloCephalo
3DS FC
5086-1965-6195
Switch FC
SW-2795-9234-1507
It is entirely possible for Pokemon to have or make a game that has real time combat with every single Pokemon available with unique skillsets for every monster.

I'm not talking about that low-polygon, limited moveset stuff that Rumble has.

I'm talking about higher polygon models with multiple moves.

I'm not talking about a MOBA in the vein of Pokemon Unite either.

I'm talking somewhere in the vein of main series Monster Hunter.

I've played some amazing games in recent years that have shown me that and have learned a ton about game development and 3D modeling and animation that I'm aiming on getting certified in to see that.

Last edited:

Champion of Hyrule

Smash Master
I think resident evil 7 and village are better than 4. And this is not downplaying how good RE4 is in the slightest, I think it deserves all the praise it gets but I like 7 and village even better.

Obviously 4 is more influential and stuff, I just prefer those two games over it in terms of just quality.

Infinity Sorcerer

Smash Champion
DLCs has default arent bad, the only problem is when those has absurd prices or is contenta in-disc (Street Fighter x Tekken).

No dude, the fact that you play that super obscure RPG from the Amiga doesnt make you superior (note that this is a exageration, is just an actual compliment about how there is people that think mainstream games bad, obscure games good)

Same thing goes for indies, not all Indie games are made for the love to the industry and are all good, and at the same time not all the AAA games are bad and evil and only made for money.

Frenetar

Smash Rookie
DLCs has default arent bad, the only problem is when those has absurd prices or is contenta in-disc (Street Fighter x Tekken).

No dude, the fact that you play that super obscure RPG from the Amiga doesnt make you superior (note that this is a exageration, is just an actual compliment about how there is people that think mainstream games bad, obscure games good)

Same thing goes for indies, not all Indie games are made for the love to the industry and are all good, and at the same time not all the AAA games are bad and evil and only made for money.
My biggest issue with DLCs is when they're required to play the game. The situation with Nintendo closing the Nintendo Network eShop will make certain titles borderline unplayable.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
i dont want consoles to get any more powerful, we've been able to make games of decent length for a looooooooong time so not only is there no need but theryre just getting more and more expensive. itll just get to the point where the number of people who can afford them will be rather small or worse we'll all have to opted into cloud gaming

which is another one, cloud gaming is a terrible idea

Champion of Hyrule

Smash Master
I really think Monolith Soft should’ve had ACE and/or Yoko Shimomura do Xenoblade X’s soundtrack.

Mainly so we could actually get some X music in Smash
But if that happened we might have missed out on the bit of lyrical genius that is “Yeah. Uh. Uh. Yeah. Yeah. Uh. Uh…” repeated for two minutes

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
"Dolled up instalments" (Mean Bean Machine, Tetris Attack, Mario 2, e.t.c.) are one of my favourite things in gaming as a medium, possibly one of my favourite things ever, and it really sucks how the practice isn't in common use anymore and seems to have a stigma.

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
Pokémon main series should only focus in the competitive and instead made spin off exclusively for the single player enjoyment.
I feel that if any game garners a competitive community, that should be the focus in design - at least when it comes to balancing and mechanics - given they're the only ones who will even notice balancing and mechanics.

Infinity Sorcerer

Smash Champion
what purpose would that serve?
Well, the Pokémon franchise has two mayor groups, the people who only care the competitve and the people who only care have an adventure, the problem is that each point of view affects the other, the competitive it's attached to the current game settings meanwhile the mechanics of the general game are attached to be accord to a meta. If they made separate games you can have a balanced competitive game for the ones who wants that and a more flexive and interesing gameplay that doesn't require balance for pvp for the second.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Well, the Pokémon franchise has two mayor groups, the people who only care the competitve and the people who only care have an adventure, the problem is that each point of view affects the other, the competitive it's attached to the current game settings meanwhile the mechanics of the general game are attached to be accord to a meta. If they made separate games you can have a balanced competitive game for the ones who wants that and a more flexive and interesing gameplay that doesn't require balance for pvp for the second.
i see, so we get rid of the competitive crowd by making spin offs based solely on battling

Infinity Sorcerer

Smash Champion
Yeah basically that or viceversa, any form works. I think Legends was the right step even with all their problems. And the competitive games could be like Battle Revolution or Colisseum

Oddball

Smash Lord
I have never liked Mario's squeaky broken english Italian accent voice.

Top Bottom