• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What Are Your Unpopular Gaming Opinions? (Ver. 2)

jamesster445

Smash Lord
With the recent acquisition of Activision. I hope Xbox does NOT make a Smash clone. I think every platform fighter struggles under the expectation/pressure of being compared to Smash and because of that, none of them have had the same success that Smash has had, not even close. Phil Spencer already said that he (as well as the player) doesn't want that, I hope he sticks with it.

If Xbox wants to have a big crossover game, make it a MOBA. They do own the studio that make Heroes of the Storm so they do have a foot in that door.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I'm pissed about the DLC courses for mario kart 8 deluxe because I already own the Wii U version which isn't getting them I'm not going to buy the whole game again just for DLC.
then youre a more sensible consumer than i

StrangeKitten

Smash Lord
I think if silent protagonists are still gonna be a thing, they should at least be more expressive.
Agreed. And give some hints towards a personality. I think Joker from Persona 5 walks the fine line between silent protag and being well-characterized very well. I hope silent protagonists will be done in similar ways going forwards.

lady_sky skipper

Smash Ace
Agreed. And give some hints towards a personality. I think Joker from Persona 5 walks the fine line between silent protag and being well-characterized very well. I hope silent protagonists will be done in similar ways going forwards.
Me too, even back in the 16-bit era when I watched my sister played games I always wondered why in many of them the main character never spoke. I sort of got annoyed by this trait. Which was kind of why when I started playing games some of my favorite characters would be the NPCs that talked to you such as the Flight Instructors in Pilotwings.

wizfoot

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-7677-1915-7484
I think if silent protagonists are still gonna be a thing, they should at least be more expressive.
Agreed. I feel like a good balance here is Link from BOTW as well as the Last Dragonborn from Skyrim. They're silent for 99% of the time outside of combat and when dialogue happens the speech boxes give some semblance of a personality; hell, you can even build the Last Dragonborn's. I've had two different Dragonborns; my last one who was a socially awkward Wood Elf mage and my current one who's a firebrand tomboy spellblade.

Champion of Hyrule

Smash Master
I don’t think gunstar heroes is that good tbh. People try to hype it up, saying it’s one of the best sega genesis games but it’s really not IMO. I just don’t get what’s special about it or what makes it better than other sega games on the genesis

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Donkey Kong actually should've gotten at least as much attention as Mario had. They both started with the same game after all, doesn't make sense to neglect one so much and favor the other.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
so pacman and game and watch should have the most?
Donkey Kong is a top 5 selling franchise for Nintendo, and the games are critically acclaimed. So not sure if Pac Man and Game and Watch can compare, but I wouldn't oppose it. Especially for Pac Man.

The case with Mario and DK is that they started with the same game, but one is the golden child and the other the ******* child.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Donkey Kong is a top 5 selling franchise for Nintendo, and the games are critically acclaimed. So not sure if Pac Man and Game and Watch can compare, but I wouldn't oppose it. Especially for Pac Man.

The case with Mario and DK is that they started with the same game, but one is the golden child and the other the ******* child.
well you seemed to be conflating age with what they should have. Just wanted to be sure what you meant. I certainly wouldn’t say DK is treated badly by Nintendo we see him in things all the time

also it’s the 7th. The top 5 are Mario, Pokemon, wii, Zelda and animal crossing

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
well you seemed to be conflating age with what they should have. Just wanted to be sure what you meant. I certainly wouldn’t say DK is treated badly by Nintendo we see him in things all the time

also it’s the 7th. The top 5 are Mario, Pokemon, wii, Zelda and animal crossing
Oh alright didn't get that part, but of all those series, DK is the only one that's dormant. If it actually got games like the rest, it would easily be pushed back higher. That's my whole point.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Oh alright didn't get that part, but of all those series, DK is the only one that's dormant. If it actually got games like the rest, it would easily be pushed back higher. That's my whole point.
i don’t disagree that DK should have some more stuff in smash. And I certainly wouldn’t say no to another dkc

Champion of Hyrule

Smash Master
Earthbound’s gameplay is not that good. The battle system is a good concept but it’s just not balanced that well (and yes, balance is different from difficulty so don’t hit me with git gud) and it’s pretty unfair at in a lot of places. You can tell it came out in 1994 and Mother 3 did it a lot better.

Last edited:

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
Earthbound’s gameplay is not that good. The battle system is a good concept but it’s just not balanced that well (and yes, balance is different from difficulty so don’t hit me with git gud) and it’s pretty unfair at in a lot of places. Mother 3 did it a lot better.
On a similar note, I feel that from a plot perspective EarthBound is the weakest of the Mother trilogy, though the weird quirkiness and great atmosphere more than make up for it and the poor gameplay.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Earthbound’s gameplay is not that good. The battle system is a good concept but it’s just not balanced that well (and yes, balance is different from difficulty so don’t hit me with git gud) and it’s pretty unfair at in a lot of places. You can tell it came out in 1994 and Mother 3 did it a lot better.
Replaying it, and yes. It's honestly keeping me away from the game a bit.

It's not bad! Mind you, but it definitely aged badly. It gets better after you level up and mortal damage is actually a thing you can prevent yourself dying from... But the first part with Ness only? Complete bull****.

I'd love a remake however.

Linkmain-maybe

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-1042-6735-2236
People calling Kratos "street level" have no idea what they're talking about. Sorry Reddit, but in-game Kratos godstomps your fav. Unless your fav is Pelinal or something.
Ah yes, the titan and god killer is street level. Its because obviously Spider-Man can beat him with his wacky webbing and “super”-strength.

wizfoot

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-7677-1915-7484
Aerith is extremely overrated. Besides summoning Holy and getting captured by ShinRa she has very little plot relevance and her characterization isn't that good; it's certainly not on the same level as Cloud, Tifa, and even Barret and Nanaki.

Last edited:
Top Bottom