• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What Are Your Unpopular Gaming Opinions? (Ver. 2)

Etheus Rook

Smash Apprentice
Okay, time for me to get shot....

First person is a garbage perspective, and it's only good for genres that are trying to limit your perspective for effect (ie: horror).

The lack of situational awareness is a huge drawback, you can't give it any form of decent melee combat without making the player physically ill, and the idea that representing the player as two arms and a weapon is somehow more immersive is laughable.

Etheus Rook

Smash Apprentice
Warriors/Musuo games flat out do not deserve the contempt they receive from the general gaming public and games media. They offer hundreds of hours of content. They are one of the last bastions of couch co op in an industry that has damn near eliminated it. Their simple but fun game loop is therapeutic. The best warriors games, like FE Warriors, also have plenty of light strategy elements to keep the player engaged.

Oh, but they're "repetitive." You know what else is repetitive? Most games. Diablo games are basically the same thing with worse combat and better gear. The most popular genre in the world is literally just "center your screen on them and shoot them before they can do the same to you."

Champion of Hyrule

Smash Master
I think the classic sonic games, even Sonic 3 have more unfair levels and bull**** level design than the adventure era games.

Yes, the classic games obviously have better level design and a better design philosophy than the adventure games, they also have better precision and control but still the classic games feel completely filled with random stuff you can’t see that can kill you instantly, and other unfair things like that.

Yes, Adventure games have this problem too and are also really unfair (especially heroes) but still it feels worse in the classic games, especially because you usually have to either restart from the beginning of the game or from the beginning of a really long level which can be absolutely soul-crushing at times.

volbound1700

Smash Master
PC games, when it comes to quality and innovativeness, were actually better than console games when I was growing up (1990s and early 2000s).

I based this off unique games like all of the Maxis Games (Sim City, Sim Tower, Sim Farm, Sim Ant, the Sims), Civilization, Master of Orion, Blizzard (Diablo, StarCraft, Warcraft), Age of Empires, Doom, Wolfenstein, War-wind, Command and Conquer, Total War series, Heroes of Might and Magic, Battlefield Games (Pacific General, Panzer General, etc.), plus more that I have likely forgotten.

There was so much unique gaming experiences and many of these games have longevity. A console game is over once you beat it while these all were constantly replayable with new worlds, scenario editors, mods, etc. There was always something unique and creative around the corner which you just didn't see as much in Console games which were RPG, Platformers, or party games at the time.

volbound1700

Smash Master
I made an unnecessary second thread about this topic and asked Mods to delete. Here are some of mine:

1. I think PC Gaming in 1990s was far more innovative and produced more quality titles than Console Gaming in the era - I would argue the wide variety of new games coming out of companies like ID Software, Creative Assembly, Maxis, Blizzard, MicroPoise, EA, etc. Novel Franchises include Heroes of Might and Magic, Sim City, Sim Ant, Sim Tower, Sim Farm, Warcraft II, Civilization II, Starcraft, Doom, Quake, Age of Empires, Warwind (look it up), Elder Scrolls, Diablo series, Baulder's Gate, etc. I do think, for its time, Master of Orion II maybe one of the greatest games ever created.

2. I don't see the appeal of Final Fantasy 7 - I recently bought the game and I am playing through it on Switch. It ISN'T a BAD game by any means and it is enjoyable. However, people act like it was the greatest game ever or in the top 10. I don't see it. I actually enjoyed DQ11 more than this one and even the original Final Fantasies. I will say this though, it has AWESOME music. (Granted, I am also not a fan of unrealistic weaponry. This annoyed me with Blizzard and the way they went in later games (World of Warcraft notably). My favorite JRPG is probably the "The Last Story" for Wii. It was very novel and deserved a lot more love.

3. GTA is meh... I played a few of these titles and I find them boring. Just like Final Fantasy, I don't see the hype with Grand Thief Auto.

4. Legend of Zelda BOTW - Although I liked the game a lot, I enjoyed Twilight Princess, Skyward Sword, Ocarina of Time, and Windwaker more. I love the overall direction the Zelda series is going into as Ocarina of Time was too dungeon heavy (likely due to limitations) but I feel like the world is mostly empty with very little to do. It is an ENJOYABLE Zelda title and I will definitely get BOTW2 but I don't think it deserves hype as one of the greatest Zelda games created. Speaking of another controversial Zelda theory, I absolutely loved Zelda II: Adventures of Link as a kid. I used to rent and then bought it. It is very hard but very rewarding. (Interestingly, I got the Castlevania Collection off the Switch Shop the other day and Simon's Quest is slowly becoming my favorite of the group due to its similarities to Zelda 2).

5. Hard does not mean fun most of the time. Usually a lot of hard mechanics are based off poor game design rather than actual efforts to make the game enjoyable. I played Kirby's Adventure for NES to death and consider it one of the most enjoyable and best NES titles despite the fact it is a very easy game, even to beat on the hard mode. I was playing a Multiplayer game of Heart of Iron IV last night and the AI just slammed us with Divisions and stalemated the game which made it not enjoyable and forced us to quit. If you complain about this, you always get immature responses from fans of the game saying "you just need to get better." However, that is an instance where game difficulty made a game unenjoyable. AVGN goes into great lengths with titles like Silver Surfer to explain this concept. (This is why I love different levels of difficulty. However, a lot of games just nerf your abilities rather than fix the AI). I will say this though, with platformers, saved states have made many of these hard games, easy and enjoyable.

Pokelego999

Smash Hero
Waiting for Latias and Latios to get a theme
Switch FC
SW-0935-8215-2605
5. Hard does not mean fun most of the time. Usually a lot of hard mechanics are based off poor game design rather than actual efforts to make the game enjoyable. I played Kirby's Adventure for NES to death and consider it one of the most enjoyable and best NES titles despite the fact it is a very easy game, even to beat on the hard mode. I was playing a Multiplayer game of Heart of Iron IV last night and the AI just slammed us with Divisions and stalemated the game which made it not enjoyable and forced us to quit. If you complain about this, you always get immature responses from fans of the game saying "you just need to get better." However, that is an instance where game difficulty made a game unenjoyable. AVGN goes into great lengths with titles like Silver Surfer to explain this concept. (This is why I love different levels of difficulty. However, a lot of games just nerf your abilities rather than fix the AI). I will say this though, with platformers, saved states have made many of these hard games, easy and enjoyable.
Pokemon Fans:

volbound1700

Smash Master
Pokemon Fans:
Haha, that went totally over my head because, shockingly, I have yet to play Pokemon. When Pokemon hit it big, I was in Highschool and thought it looked childish and silly. I do LOVE the Pokemon characters in Smash and glad it is a part of the game but never was into the series so totally lost on your concept.

I have had some frustrating games with Europa Universalis 4 and Heart of Iron 4. Sometimes the games are too easy and sometimes the AI is relentless and it wrecks the game. It takes hours to get anywhere in the game (30-40 hours just to complete one campaign sometimes) and you can have a game derailed off one bad event or loss to the AI.

Pokelego999

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-0935-8215-2605
Haha, that went totally over my head because, shockingly, I have yet to play Pokemon. When Pokemon hit it big, I was in Highschool and thought it looked childish and silly. I do LOVE the Pokemon characters in Smash and glad it is a part of the game but never was into the series so totally lost on your concept.
I'd recommend it. They may not be the epitemy of difficulty or an absolute star of the game, but you can certainly have a fun time with one.

volbound1700

Smash Master
I'd recommend it. They may not be the epitemy of difficulty or an absolute star of the game, but you can certainly have a fun time with one.
Ah, got it. So it is basically like Kirby (easy, relaxing, and fun). Honestly, I don't find any of the Nintendo first-party titles hard (Zelda, Mario, Kirby, etc.). The exception might be the first two DKC games on SNES and Super Mario Bros Lost Levels (2 in Japan). However, they are a blast.

Pokelego999

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-0935-8215-2605
asically like Kirby (easy, relaxing, and fun). Honestly, I don't find any of the Nintendo first-party titles hard (Zelda, Mario, Kirby, etc.). The exception might be the first two DKC games on SNES and Super
I'd say they're an in between depending on the game. Not too easy yet not too hard, once again depending on the game.

volbound1700

Smash Master
I'd say they're an in between depending on the game. Not too easy yet not too hard, once again depending on the game.
True. None of the Nintendo Titles seem to be unfair or brutally hard. For example, as hard as DKC 2: Diddy Kong's Quest can get, it pales in comparison to Battle Toads, the original TMNT, Megaman 1, or Castlevania 1 & 3. Also DKC2's challenge doesn't seem to be based on poor game mechanics, unfair level design, or difficult controls. It is a true challenge.

Nintendo has the best IP in the industry, IMO. Everyone has their stinkers but Nintendo seems to have far less of them. You can buy a Nintendo game and it is generally well made, not rushed, and has quality to it.

Champion of Hyrule

Smash Master
I don’t think senator armstrong is that good of a villain. Sure his motivation is pretty interesting and I like how he was portrayed but he kinda just shows up at the end and dosent have adequate time to personally establish his villainy and dynamic with Raiden. It’s really disappointing because on paper he would have been a really good villain. This problem plagues a lot of also videogame villains IMO.

the memes are funny though

Lenidem

Smash Lord
People criticize LoZ Twilight Princess' long intro sequence but it serves the very important purpose of making you care about the characters. Ilia and Link have a certain chemistry. You care about the sensitive kid Collin and his journey of personal growth. Malo ends up being hilarious. When the moblins raid the village and take Ilia and the kids you give a ****! It's actual motive to go on a quest besides "destroy the great evil for no other reason" that so many games have. Especially LoZ games.
For me it failed. I don't care about any of those characters, they're far too hollow and generic.

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
  • Xenoblade 2 is an incredibly overhated game and does not deserve anywhere near as much flak as it gets. The combat, the story, and the English dub are not anywhere NEAR as bad as people say (no, the English dub is not "bad" just because Dunkey showed you a few out-of-context clips from the first hour of the game). Hell, I'd dare say the combat is actually BETTER than the first one, the tutorials are just so bad that anyone not already acquainted with the Xenoblade battle system will probably be turned off from it, which is a damn shame.
  • Pokemon Sword and Shield also aren't bad and people let their view on the games be soured way too easily by one piece of bad news before the game's release. The only part of those games that I actually think is bad is the story, and even then, it's not like I was playing Pokemon for the narrative anyway.
  • 64 is easily the weakest of the mainline 3D Marios, and it's not even close.
    • On that note, Sunshine is nearly on par with Galaxy for being one of the best IMO.
      • Also, Odyssey isn't the mind-blowing masterpiece everyone makes it out to be. It's good, yes, but far from the best game I've ever played, or even the best Mario I've ever played.
  • Indie games are consistently WAY better than AAA ones, to the point that I'd rather play only indie games for the rest of my life than only AAA ones - even though a lot of my favorite series are AAA.

Mamboo07

Smash Hero
  • Xenoblade 2 is an incredibly overhated game and does not deserve anywhere near as much flak as it gets. The combat, the story, and the English dub are not anywhere NEAR as bad as people say (no, the English dub is not "bad" just because Dunkey showed you a few out-of-context clips from the first hour of the game). Hell, I'd dare say the combat is actually BETTER than the first one, the tutorials are just so bad that anyone not already acquainted with the Xenoblade battle system will probably be turned off from it, which is a damn shame.
  • Pokemon Sword and Shield also aren't bad and people let their view on the games be soured way too easily by one piece of bad news before the game's release. The only part of those games that I actually think is bad is the story, and even then, it's not like I was playing Pokemon for the narrative anyway.
  • 64 is easily the weakest of the mainline 3D Marios, and it's not even close.
    • On that note, Sunshine is nearly on par with Galaxy for being one of the best IMO.
      • Also, Odyssey isn't the mind-blowing masterpiece everyone makes it out to be. It's good, yes, but far from the best game I've ever played, or even the best Mario I've ever played.
  • Indie games are consistently WAY better than AAA ones, to the point that I'd rather play only indie games for the rest of my life than only AAA ones - even though a lot of my favorite series are AAA.
Was the reason Xenoblade 2 is hated due to the Blade designs?

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
Was the reason Xenoblade 2 is hated due to the Blade designs?
That's one of 'em, yeah... (See: people ******** back and forth at each other about the same two character designs, grumble grumble.) People also often complain about the battle system, calling it too "slow" (which it absolutely isn't if you're using all the tools at your disposal), the English dub (the English voice direction apparently wasn't very good, and the English VAs did a PHENOMENAL job considering that), and the story (a lot of people complain about it being too "anime" compared to the first one, which is valid as an opinion, but not a reason to say the game's bad). While I'd agree XC2's not quite as strong as the original Xenoblade Chronicles, it's about the difference between a 10/10 and a 9/10 in my book.

Last edited:

Pokelego999

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-0935-8215-2605
I dislike SWSH for it's overall graphics quality, not the Dex cut. Still a bad move, but I honestly didn't care. SWSH is still a fun experience though.

R O F L

Smash Ace
I just 100%'ed Super Mario World and I have to say it is very overrated. In my opinion, half of the levels suffer deeply from poor level design, physics are very jank, occasional confusing inconsistency, and is pretty buggy.

I honestly have no idea how some people hold it higher than SMW2 and the DKC trilogy.

I'm just talking about the base game here, SMW Rom hacks make the game so much better.

If someone wants me to write an essay on this I will.

StrangeKitten

Smash Lord
I agree that Sword and Shield aren't bad games. However, I don't think the Dex cut would be so maligned if not for the fact that Gamefreak lied. They said the cut was so that they could put more resources towards better animations, but that's clearly not the case, as the models of old Pokemon have been proven to be the same ones from X and Y, and there are still many issues with animation on top of that.

And I don't blame people for being mad, because even with Pokemon being re-added via DLC, roughly half of the dex is still gone. And it's not like past games, where you might not be able to use your favorites until postgame. You just straight-up can't bring the Pokemon over to SwSh at all. Got a shiny of your favorite Pokemon that you spent hours resetting for? Better hope your luck held out and you were able to bring them over.

I feel like an egregious cut from SwSh that rarely gets talked about are all the moves that got cut. A lot of them are understandable, but then there are moves that used to be staples of competitive play such as Return, Pursuit, and Hidden Power that leave me baffled when I'm reminded they got cut.

If anyone wants to play challenging versions of Pokemon's games, I recommend checking out Drayano's rom hacks. They're super fun for me, but I caution against them for anyone who is new to Pokemon.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
but then there are moves that used to be staples of competitive play such as Return, Pursuit, and Hidden Power that leave me baffled when I'm reminded they got cut.
Tbf Return and Hidden Power have quirks that affect their power or type which probably screwed with how Dynamax moves work. Pursuit has no excuse though lmao

Etheus Rook

Smash Apprentice
When "dynamic difficulty adjustment" patents became news, a lot of the independent gaming youtubers were calling it a terrible idea.

But I think that would be awesome. Games being able to adjust to me and pick a comfortable, but engaging difficulty level for me would be incredible. I'm not interested in overcoming challenges that others find difficult. I'm not interested in gamer cred or achievements. I'm interested in having fun in the moment.

Pokelego999

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-0935-8215-2605
I agree that Sword and Shield aren't bad games. However, I don't think the Dex cut would be so maligned if not for the fact that Gamefreak lied. They said the cut was so that they could put more resources towards better animations, but that's clearly not the case, as the models of old Pokemon have been proven to be the same ones from X and Y, and there are still many issues with animation on top of that.

And I don't blame people for being mad, because even with Pokemon being re-added via DLC, roughly half of the dex is still gone. And it's not like past games, where you might not be able to use your favorites until postgame. You just straight-up can't bring the Pokemon over to SwSh at all. Got a shiny of your favorite Pokemon that you spent hours resetting for? Better hope your luck held out and you were able to bring them over.

I feel like an egregious cut from SwSh that rarely gets talked about are all the moves that got cut. A lot of them are understandable, but then there are moves that used to be staples of competitive play such as Return, Pursuit, and Hidden Power that leave me baffled when I'm reminded they got cut.

If anyone wants to play challenging versions of Pokemon's games, I recommend checking out Drayano's rom hacks. They're super fun for me, but I caution against them for anyone who is new to Pokemon.
What I noticed got cut were a lot of moves and Pokemon that were gimmicks or had a special gimmick or multiple forms. There some excuses yes, but there were so many gimmick ones cut.
-Smeargle due to Sketch my bets
-Unown, the Flabebe line, Furfrou, Vivillon, etc due to their multiple forms
-Various multi hit moves or set damage moves like Dragon Rage, Sonic Boom, Spike Cannon, etc
-Mirror Move probably cause that's wonky
-Return and Frustration probably due to the friendship thing being problematic with Dyna
-Pursuit's special trapping mechanics probably were why it was cut
-Hidden Power's multi type thing via an algorithm was why is was cut most likely, and also why Unown was cut with honestly
-Magnitude due to the moves random power
-Delibird due to it's Present **** or something I don't know
-Clamperl due to it's evolution mechanic
-Komala and Comatose were probably like some other things here

I mean, it's for a good majority mechanics that would take a bit to implement, so I guess it makes to scrap them from that standpoint. Some of the cuts make zero sense, as there's nothing wrong with adding say Flame Burst or Beedrill.

Hopefully this stuff comes back later.

StrangeKitten

Smash Lord
So Dynamaxing took away tons of unique things about competitive play. Realizing Return and Frustration are gone, I got curious about what Normal types have for STAB now... it ain't pretty. They're lucky if they get Body Slam, which is kinda middling in power. Some have to rely on Double-Edge with its nasty recoil. Stoutland learns neither, so it has to run Strength. STRENGTH. Man, they really stopped making reliable Normal moves in gen 2, then got rid of said reliable move and didn't introduce an alternative. Sheesh.

Really sours me on how Gamefreak seems to think each new generation needs a gimmick. I just hope that, whatever gimmick they introduce in gen 9, it doesn't come with harsh downsides.

Last edited:

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett

I understand all that (even if I don't agree with using a DistantKingdom video as evidence seeing how he's basically the second coming of Verlisify), what cheeses me off is how people's opinions on SwSh completely 180'd overnight with that one reveal. Maybe it's just me, but I heard basically no one speak ill of Sword and Shield prior to the announcement of the Dex cut, then after that day, suddenly they were the disappointment of the decade and Game Freak hadn't made a good game since Gen 5. It's almost like a majority of these people didn't actually care about the quality of the games themselves and just wanted to hop a ****ty hatewagon...

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I understand all that (even if I don't agree with using a DistantKingdom video as evidence seeing how he's basically the second coming of Verlisify), what cheeses me off is how people's opinions on SwSh completely 180'd overnight with that one reveal. Maybe it's just me, but I heard basically no one speak ill of Sword and Shield prior to the announcement of the Dex cut, then after that day, suddenly they were the disappointment of the decade and Game Freak hadn't made a good game since Gen 5. It's almost like a majority of these people didn't actually care about the quality of the games themselves and just wanted to hop a ****ty hatewagon...
If you ask me then the 180 makes sense, not only because Masuda said it was sacrificied for something that ultimately wasn't true but also because if we have half the mons gone, does the rest of the game make up for it, especially as someone may be willing to spend 40 bucks on a title that's a tad lacking but not 60

Pokelego999

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-0935-8215-2605
If you ask me then the 180 makes sense, not only because Masuda said it was sacrificied for something that ultimately wasn't true but also because if we have half the mons gone, does the rest of the game make up for it, especially as someone may be willing to spend 40 bucks on a title that's a tad lacking but not 60
Slightly different reasoning from me, but pretty much yeah.

Etheus Rook

Smash Apprentice
Okay, timely and really unpopular opinion time. Not only was gen 3 my favorite gen, I haven't enjoyed a single Pokemon generation since. I expect more from the literal biggest IP in the world than what Gamefreak has been providing - and that was before they cut literally all of my favorite Pokemon while upping the MSRP.

StrangeKitten

Smash Lord
I think that every generation of Pokemon has at least been good for its time, and they all have their strengths and weaknesses. I don't think any generation has a stronger or weaker set of new Pokemon than another. I usually like 80-90% of any generation's Pokemon, have a few that stand as huge favorites, and a few I dislike.

Rizen

Smash Legend
IDK why people do no-skip runs of levels in Mario Maker; it just means you're forced to wade through hot garbage.

Champion of Hyrule

Smash Master
super mario galaxy 3 would most likely never get made and is a bad idea. I like the idea of revisiting parts of the galaxy series but nintendo is always trying to innovate with the mario series and so I don’t think they would just make another galaxy game

Rizen

Smash Legend
People need to get over this honeymoon mentality with the switch and start holding Nintendo to higher standards. They've made a lot of great games but also done a lot of cutting corners and had anti-consumer business practices. A: Charging full price for short games that clearly are not the full potential of the hardware like Link's Awakening. B: Joycons have a big issue with joystick drift that people have had to sue nintendo for. C: shutting down certain smash tournaments all together just because they had rom hacks like Project Melee. D: embracing the dark side of microtransactions in Mario Kart Tour and charging $40 for a Ninetails skin in Pokemon Unite. E: Having extremely subpar graphics in games like Pokemon S&S.

Top Bottom