• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What Are Your Unpopular Gaming Opinions? (Ver. 2)

Ramen_Bot

Smash Rookie
I hate the original Metroid games. They just see, really confusing and vague and you have to run halfway across the map for a certain item an its really annoying. Also I dont think Waluigi should get into smash. While yes I'd be super hyped if he got in, he wouldnt be all that unique. Everyone wants him in the game because it's become a meme. Once he got in, everyone would just be disapointed. GENO ON THE OTHER HAND DESERVES TO BE IN SMASH

Last edited:

Rizen

Smash Legend
The people calling @BananaSlammer toxic are being just as toxic. This is an unpopular opinions thread; he should be able to post an opinion without being called toxic for it. -_-

Anyway, I have 0 interest in Among Us and wish youtubers would play something more interesting instead.

Eremurus

Smash Apprentice
Also I dont think Waluigi should get into smash. While yes I'd be super hyped if he got in, he wouldnt be all that unique. Everyone wants him in the game because it's become a meme. Once he got in, everyone would just be disapointed. GENO ON THE OTHER HAND DESERVES TO BE IN SMASH
I mean, neither character has their own respective franchise in which they are the main antagonist or protagonist; both are side characters. Likewise, each are wildly popular, and both can be designed with appropriate and creative movesets, so what exactly makes Geno more deserving than Waluigi?

I don't particularly care for either, but I am curious.

Ramen_Bot

Smash Rookie
geno just seems like a more interesting character. Hes got a damm arm canon for crying out loud. He's also owned by Square, so he would technically be third party. It's similar to the Banjo case. Banjo was originally on nintendo but rare got bought by microsoft. Geno was on SNES but square said "sayonara" and went over to Playstation. It would be a return to where the character got their start. While yes Geno has only been in one game, he would fit in well with smash. Also Waluigi is already an assist trophy and his moveset for it work pretty well. Geno was a mii costume in smash 4 but not in ultimate. Also as we can see from Min Min, spirits don't de confirm fighters. Thank you for listening to my TED talk

crazybenjamin

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 2794 0568 0108
He's also owned by Square, so he would technically be third party.
I feel like that kind of reasoning fixates too much on the letter of the law, rather than the spirit of the law (Basically, what I'm saying is that I don't view Geno being technically 3rd party as an endorsement, because he's still a Mario character, other 3rd party characters bring stuff from different franchises to Smash, so it's a whole other story)

Anyways, that's the excuse for me to launch into another unpopular opinion I hold: Toad got done dirty, and even if you want to argue that he doesn't deserve to be playable for whatever reason, it doesn't explain why he can't even get an Assist Trophy

LAA9000

Smash Journeyman
Slippi.gg
JUST#956
3DS FC
0361-9069-2936
Switch FC
SW-5393-4946-0209
I've come to realise over my time on the Internet that 'unpopular opinions' are a poor concept. Many of the unpopular opinions you come across on similar social media or forum threads seem very popular from what others say on the topic, but there are so many people with differing opinions on the Internet that I believe it's impossible in most cases to tell if an opinion is actually popular or unpopular. As such, they are pretty much just opinions that might possibly draw some criticism, aka every opinion.

With that in mind, screw that; here's more Opinions that Might Possibly Draw Some Criticism™:
  • I agree with the above post that Toad has been massively neglected in Smash. Even the community forgets about him: whenever anyone asks what people think the most important and recognisable Nintendo character not yet in Smash is, I see characters like Waluigi and Bandana Waddle Dee thrown around but never Toad.
  • An Echo Fighters Pass for Smash Ultimate would be a bad idea. I wouldn't be happy with the idea of paying extra money for fighters whose movesets are, for the most part, already in the base game. Fire Emblem Warriors did this for some of its DLC characters, and while I haven't played it, I've heard it got tons of flack for this (in addition to all its DLC characters already appearing as NPCs in the base game). Ironically, this is coming from someone whose current most wanted is Octoling, a character that would make a perfect Echo of Inkling. I'd say the possibility of a fully unique Octoling moveset is still out there... as is the possibility of them getting into an Echo Fighters Pass.
  • I love how small and grassroots the competitive Smash scene feels, at least at low level tournaments. Whenever I look at it, I find it extremely remarkable that a passionate community accomplished all of this without any major support from its publisher - and persevered when its publisher fought against them, and when some of their biggest contributors were exposed for horrible things. Admittedly, the lack of Nintendo support does become problematic at top level, where people are paid full-time to play this game as a sport.
  • I liked item durability in Zelda: Breath of the Wild and would like it to return in the sequel. It gave powerful items like Ancient gear a drawback that made me consider what battles to bother with and what equipment to bring, instead of just engaging in every fight with all my best endgame gear. Additionally, in a game about roaming a semi-ruined and abandoned open world, a durability mechanic makes thematic sense to give off the idea of having to use whatever you find.
  • As dumb as Nintendo's mission to eliminate fangames can get, at this point I don't feel sorry whenever a popular fangame or mod creator gets hit with a C&D, especially if they create them for a living (which quite a few do). Did they look at all the projects Nintendo has taken down in the past and completely forget about the dangers of working with somebody else's copyrighted material? Do they not consider that having a Patreon for their 'non-profit' fangames and mods might be a dangerous and unstable source of income? When you're given that many warnings and still proceed only to fail like everyone else, I'm putting the blame on you for not listening.

CheeseAnton

Smash Ace
This is probably the most controversial thing I've ever said on the internet. I don't think this guy (Hilbert, his canonical name is Hilbert) has that stupid of a name. I mean, it's pretty stupid, but not as stupid as being named a color (some call Hilbert "black" or Hilda "White" for example if that makes any sense, and other cases with the pokemon games. But Red doesn't have a name or Red isn't a nickname, to my knowledge his actual name is Red).

At the very least, Hilbert's name isn't as stupid as Red, Lyra, Leaf, or Elio.

Hilbert (Pokemon Black and White 1 Male Protagonist)

drag0nscythe

Smash Master
  • I think playing only hard games does not make you a gamer. Just like playing only mobile games or casual games does not make you a gamer either. A Gamer is someone who appreciates and enjoys gaming, in all its form and how it is as an art.
  • I think the left animal crossing crazies are just as bad as the racist rights. Being so far gone as to try and find and enforce racist ideas to protect a minority group is just as damaging if not more then the openly racists. You are giving them fodder to spread hate and are doing so also whilst under the guise of altruism.
  • I think the competitive Smash scene is way to strict, going only Omega, no items all the time makes for very repetitive game experiences and can be rather dull.
  • I think politics has always been in games and symbols can be pulled out of any work of fiction, no matter what. so the rights insistence that games were never political is ********.

Pokelego999

Smash Hero
Waiting for Latias and Latios to get a theme
Switch FC
SW-0935-8215-2605
This is probably the most controversial thing I've ever said on the internet. I don't think this guy (Hilbert, his canonical name is Hilbert) has that stupid of a name. I mean, it's pretty stupid, but not as stupid as being named a color (some call Hilbert "black" or Hilda "White" for example if that makes any sense, and other cases with the pokemon games. But Red doesn't have a name or Red isn't a nickname, to my knowledge his actual name is Red).

At the very least, Hilbert's name isn't as stupid as Red, Lyra, Leaf, or Elio.

Hilbert (Pokemon Black and White 1 Male Protagonist)
He's one of my favorites honestly.

Champion of Hyrule

Smash Master
Rizen Rizen Nobody is calling him toxic for believing that opinion. Everyone's calling him toxic because he's sick of fans of Undertale and Persona talking about things that legitimately interest them. I understand that opinion, but he's being toxic about it by insisting fans of something shouldn't talk about the series they like at all.

D

Deleted member

Rizen Rizen Nobody is calling him toxic for believing that opinion. Everyone's calling him toxic because he's sick of fans of Undertale and Persona talking about things that legitimately interest them. I understand that opinion, but he's being toxic about it by insisting fans of something shouldn't talk about the series they like at all.
Except people take it to the next level and treat the game like it's the second coming of Christ. Half of them haven't even played the damn game, they watch it on YouTube and have Joker pfps. Doesn't sound like "legitimate interest" to me. More like bandwagoning.

That's where my frustration was. Maybe I should have been more clear.

I haven't read the last page because I don't want to. Stop labelling me as toxic, because name-calling and giving people labels is just as toxic, if not more. In fact, dogpiling is just as toxic as my initial post might have been (I'm sorry for that, I do think it came off as strong)

I was just tired of hearing how I'm basically Hitler if I don't play the game or like the game. They're well-crafted games I agree, but they are not the best games in the world, like so many treat it as.

I'm tired of those specific fanbases worming their way into everything imaginable. Is that not tiring to anyone else but me? Is that enough from you guys? Instead, I got labelled as toxic. For something I was personally frustrated with. I knew it was unpopular, hence I shared it in this thread. I came here to share an opinion, and I got lambasted for it. So much for "unpopular opinions" - most of the "opinions" in this thread are popular opinions anyways.

I'm this close to just telling you to go **** yourself but I'm not going to, so: Lay off, all of you. Seriously. Stop dogpiling on me, it's gross. I'm sorry I came off strong, but it was out of personal frustration. Maybe I did deserve it yeah, but it's still disgusting behaviour. Even if you had good intentions, it's not nice to label someone as an awful human being because of something they said. So much for positivity and inclusion that I see you folks preaching about, I guess.

I've seen similar things said in my post said by the VERY SAME PEOPLE IN THEIR PROFILE POSTS. I've seen it elsewhere on Twitter. Is it okay if you do it, and not me? No? Then quit the double standards.

You can like Undertale, Persona. I don't care. What I do care is that you bring it into every. single. fandom. And it gets tiring.

Okay? Anyone that replies to this by calling me toxic again I'm just straight up blocking them, I don't want to put up with this right now, I'm tired of being labelled as someone I'm not. Entitled, spoilt, toxic.. it's disgusting, and just as toxic to treat someone like that because they had an opinion you took as a personal attack, when it was never meant to be intended as that. Calm down.

The people calling @BananaSlammer toxic are being just as toxic. This is an unpopular opinions thread; he should be able to post an opinion without being called toxic for it. -_-

Anyway, I have 0 interest in Among Us and wish youtubers would play something more interesting instead.
Thanks Rizen. Thanks for not demonizing me like the rest of the folks on this thread, made me feel better about this. Just tired of being treated like crap everywhere I go on this site. Wasn't the first time something like this has happened.

Last edited by a moderator:

Champion of Hyrule

Smash Master
@BananaSlammer Sure I was probably too quick to label your post as toxic and I do apologize for that. I can 100% understand you feeling attacked

But still, all that was really happening was four people considering some behavior toxic. Not the rest of the thread, four people. We are allowed to say when we consider something toxic because the point this thread is to start a discussion.

And like I said before, ignore people who talk about things you don’t like. As long as you have played the games and can respectfully disagree with them, we’re all fine here.

Heck, you’re allowed to be slightly annoyed by them talking about the game. I do think you took it a bit too far by saying they shouldn’t talk about it in fandoms you’re part of.

So yeah, again, I think you’re allowed to disagree with them, just as long as you’ve given the games a chance and honestly don’t like them
(I really hope you actually have played Undertale and Persona 5, because if you haven’t before making your post... yeah you’re being toxic then)

Champion of Hyrule

Smash Master
Anyways, I think these two things are probably my most unpopular opinions:
  • Metroidvanias are better with a little bit more direction
  • DLC packs in Smash ultimate should be/should have been entirely third party.

TheNewbLu

Smash Rookie
  • I think playing only hard games does not make you a gamer. Just like playing only mobile games or casual games does not make you a gamer either. A Gamer is someone who appreciates and enjoys gaming, in all its form and how it is as an art.
  • I think the left animal crossing crazies are just as bad as the racist rights. Being so far gone as to try and find and enforce racist ideas to protect a minority group is just as damaging if not more then the openly racists. You are giving them fodder to spread hate and are doing so also whilst under the guise of altruism.
  • I think the competitive Smash scene is way to strict, going only Omega, no items all the time makes for very repetitive game experiences and can be rather dull.
  • I think politics has always been in games and symbols can be pulled out of any work of fiction, no matter what. so the rights insistence that games were never political is ********.
IF you like there's actually something really cool pertaining to the right you can watch that I absolutely love DISCLAIMER its 40 minutes long 😅

My unpopular opinion is that breath of the wild was just okay...at best 😂 oh and persona 3 is still better than 5 to me

Rizen

Smash Legend
The Yuka Laylee universe is better than the Banjo Kazooie universe was. Most of the YL counterparts are better; Capital B is more entertaining than Gruntilda, the squid lady is better than Mumbo, etc. Also, BK had some grungy, unpleasant environments that were no fun. YL'S areas were much better. I'm glad the BK series didn't continue.

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
Sonic Lost World was pretty good.
People criticized it for being a Mario Galaxy clone, but Mario Galaxy is one of the greatest games of all time, so Lost World was a very good platformer. I don't need to be going at Boost speed to have fun in a Platformer game.

Oracle Link

Smash Master
I think link should stay a Male Blond white 10-20 year old

I think Kirby is the Best Nintendo 2d Plattformer Series

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
Know how Mega Man 8 could've been a bit more innovative, in my opinion? Playing as each of the 6 Robot Masters from the first game and Duo alongside Mega Man himself; each playable character would, ideally, each have 2 weapons in total.
  • Mega Man would have his Mega Buster and Mega Ball and Tengu Man's Tornado Hold
    • Effective character against Clown Man
  • Cut Man would have his Rolling Cutter and Clown Man's Thunder Claw
    • Effective character against Grenade Man
  • Elec Man would have his Thunder Beam and Search Man's Homing Sniper
    • Effective character against Astro Man
  • Ice Man would have his Ice Slasher and Aqua Man's Water Balloon (repurposed to an ice bomb that freezes enemies in an area)
    • Effective character against Sword Man and Tengu Man
  • Fire Man would have his Fire Storm and Sword Man's Flame Sword
    • Effective character against Search Man and Frost Man
  • Bomb Man would have his Hyper Bombs and Grenade Man's Flash Bomb
    • Effective character against Frost Man
  • Guts Man would have his Super Arm and Astro Man's Astro Crush (repurposed to be an attack that summons six small meteors to throw at enemies)
    • Effective character against Aqua Man
  • Duo would have his Giant Knuckle and Frost Man's Ice Wave (repurposed to be an attack where Duo punches the ground and icicles pop out from both sides of him)
    • Effective character against Tengu Man
You'd only be able to take two of each character into a stage at a time.

Last edited:

wizfoot

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-7677-1915-7484
Sephiroth is way better than Kefka. Kefka's an annoying sterotypical evil clown who has no real motivation or backstory aside from being evil for evil's sake and Sephiroth's deep in both character, design, and just overall more enjoyable. Kefka's still my second favorite FF villain but Sephiroth is miles ahead of him in nearly every regard.

Dancing Mad still slaps, though.

TheExSaltedOne

Smash Rookie
-Ridley is unhype and I do not get the appeal. Villain-wise, Bowser and Eggman are more hype, Sephiroth is too

-Bowser Junior is overhated and the other Koopalings are overrated especially Ludwig

-Arms is fun from little of what I played of it but Min Min the character is lame

Haruuuu

Smash Rookie
-Mario Kart 7 is by far the worst game in the series

-Mario Kart Super Circuit has been criminally underrated

-We NEED a new Mario Kart game because oh my god has the 8/8DX game gotten old and stale

Rizen

Smash Legend
Joycons are among Nintendo's worst controllers. Their size looks like they were designed for a 5 year old's hands and I'm always pressing the wrong buttons by accident. They make my hands cramp and there's the issue of joystick drift that has several lawsuits filed against Nintendo.

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
Joycons are among Nintendo's worst controllers. Their size looks like they were designed for a 5 year old's hands and I'm always pressing the wrong buttons by accident. They make my hands cramp and there's the issue of joystick drift that has several lawsuits filed against Nintendo.
I once drew out a concept to improve the JoyCon for adults.
I would show it, but if I do, that's a potential loss of a $70 million idea.

Mamboo07

Smash Hero
The Yuka Laylee universe is better than the Banjo Kazooie universe was. Most of the YL counterparts are better; Capital B is more entertaining than Gruntilda, the squid lady is better than Mumbo, etc. Also, BK had some grungy, unpleasant environments that were no fun. YL'S areas were much better. I'm glad the BK series didn't continue.
Grungy and unpleasant environments?

Pokelego999

Smash Hero
Waiting for Latias and Latios to get a theme
Switch FC
SW-0935-8215-2605
I would personally prefer most of the Pokemon Roster to be Pokemon Trainer style characters. I know they're more work overall and it's damn unlikely to happen, but it represents the games far better with multiple from each generation in one trainer's arsenal. I also have several other reasons but this is the short version simply put.

KingBooGengar57

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-6126-0782-8125
FFV is better than FFIV, FFIV is either brutally difficult or painfully easy. Pick your poison. Exdeath is a way better villain than Golbez, I think that one isn't unpopular. Well, this game is criminally underrated, wait, that also isn't unpopular. But it's really good! Oh wait, that's not an unpopular opinion either.

Last edited:

Doc Monocle

Smash Ace
That Smash Bros.' roster should be extremely selective with third-party characters-- to only the most undeniably important characters, like Crash Bandicoot, Sonic, etc.-- is my unpopular opinion for today.

Rizen

Smash Legend
Grungy and unpleasant environments?
It's been decades since I've played BK but things like Rusty Bucket Bay and iirc Clanker's cavern were full of rust and pollution. Then you go inside clanker and it's all fleshy with rusty blades coming at you; it looks more at home in a horror game than family friendly platformer. I seem to remember tooie having several unpleasant environments too.

Doc Monocle

Smash Ace
It's been decades since I've played BK but things like Rusty Bucket Bay and iirc Clanker's cavern were full of rust and pollution. Then you go inside clanker and it's all fleshy with rusty blades coming at you; it looks more at home in a horror game than family friendly platformer. I seem to remember tooie having several unpleasant environments too.
Yes, I find the series to be surprisingly dark considering how silly it is supposed to be.

duxx

Smash Ace
Minecraft is possibly the most overrated game of all time. there are so many good sandbox games, but the only reason why minecraft is played so much more than the rest of them is what? because it was created first? because big name youtubers play it? it has way too little content for how hyped it is, ive seen $10 games with more exciting and original gameplay. it plays like it was thrown together in a couple of week, then had random patches slapped on to it. it's not even that fun to watch. theres virtually no reason that this is a top selling game. while most sandbox games have a semblance of a story mode, minecraft has like one required boss fight that you can access at almost any given time, and then ur done. even the sandbox aspect of it isnt super interesting, especially in survival mode, and dont even get me started on the fanbase

Last edited:

Rizen

Smash Legend
People criticize LoZ Twilight Princess' long intro sequence but it serves the very important purpose of making you care about the characters. Ilia and Link have a certain chemistry. You care about the sensitive kid Collin and his journey of personal growth. Malo ends up being hilarious. When the moblins raid the village and take Ilia and the kids you give a ****! It's actual motive to go on a quest besides "destroy the great evil for no other reason" that so many games have. Especially LoZ games.

Top Bottom