• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What Are Your Unpopular Gaming Opinions? (Ver. 2)

Pokelego999

Smash Hero
Waiting for Latias and Latios to get a theme
Switch FC
SW-0935-8215-2605
Here are some of mine:

- Mario Kart 8 sucks and is overrated. I dunno, I can't simply have fun with it. Whereas, MKWii and MK7 I always have fun with.

- Ultimate is a bad competitive game. Not as bad as Smash 4, but still bad nonetheless.

- The song "Melty Monster" is very overrated. When it first was discovered in Ultimate, like everyone was going ape**** over it, when in reality it's just a mediocre song at best.
It's the same for me except for Wii. Can't seem to go two steps without being pummeled by CPU items.

Janx_uwu

Smash Champion
Writing Team
Super Mario Bros 3 is a very boring game and I have no idea why people think it's the greatest in the series. It's just...ok.

Etheus Rook

Smash Apprentice
Smash specific unpopular opinions:

Steve should have just been a premium mii costume and was a distinctly disappointing character announcement.

Geno only deserves to be a premium mii costume.

A gen 8 Pokemon rep would be the most anticlimatic reveal possible.... other than Steve.

The problem with FE reps isn't quantity, it's variety. This is a series with everything from dancers to wyvern riders to shapeshifters, and Nintendo chose to make the series look as boring as possible to Smash fans. On that note, who thought that Corrin over Azura was a good idea? Even FE fans don't like Corrin.

Three Houses deserved a rep. It's the most culturally significant and mainstream game of its franchise. Having FE without 3H would be like having LoZ without Breath of the Wild or OoT, Metroid without Prime, or FIFA without unregulated gambling. That said, while Byleth (especially female Byleth) is popular, the lords of this game were a 5 ft. tall female armored axe lord, a wyvern-riding archer, and a mentally insane lance wielder, and Byleth was your first choice?

Last edited:

Pokelego999

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-0935-8215-2605
Three Houses deserved a rep. It's the most culturally significant and mainstream game of its franchise. Having FE without 3H would be like having LoZ without Breath of the Wild or OoT, Metroid without Prime, or FIFA without unregulated gambling. That said, while Byleth (especially female Byleth) is popular, the lords of this game were a 5 ft. tall female armored axe lord, a wyvern-riding archer, and a mentally insane lance wielder, and Byleth was your first choice?
Choosing one lord over another would've caused some serious anger among the fanbase for "favoritism" no doubt. Byleth was the least controversial of the already controversial choice.

Also I don't know much about FIFA, but that sounds hilarious.

Etheus Rook

Smash Apprentice
Choosing one lord over another would've caused some serious anger among the fanbase for "favoritism" no doubt. Byleth was the least controversial of the already controversial choice.

Also I don't know much about FIFA, but that sounds hilarious.
I'm not sure that the "favoritism" argument holds any merit. We don't need to represent all facets of a game or a franchise at all times. Otherwise, we'd never be able to include Pokemon starters for fear of upsetting fans over the other starters.

Edelgard makes the most sense for a Three Houses representative, as she is the single most important character to the narrative Three Houses, regardless of which route you're playing. She even sings the game's theme song. For all intents and purposes, the game, from its advertising campaign to its release, is about her.

Lenidem

Smash Lord
The problem with FE reps isn't quantity, it's variety. This is a series with everything from dancers to wyvern riders to shapeshifters, and Nintendo chose to make the series look as boring as possible to Smash fans. On that note, who thought that Corrin over Azura was a good idea? Even FE fans don't like Corrin.
I don't know the Fire Emblem serie, so there might be a variety problem, but there is definitely a quantity problem too. Even if we count Lucina, Roy, Chrom, and Ike as mere derivative of Marth, it still has four totally different characters (Marth, Corrin, Daraen, Byleth), which is more than Zelda (excluding Toon Link, Young Link and Ganondorf, that leaves Link, Zelda, and Sheik). I think this is a problem per se.

Etheus Rook

Smash Apprentice
I don't know the Fire Emblem serie, so there might be a variety problem, but there is definitely a quantity problem too. Even if we count Lucina, Roy, Chrom, and Ike as mere derivative of Marth, it still has four totally different characters (Marth, Corrin, Daraen, Byleth), which is more than Zelda (excluding Toon Link, Young Link and Ganondorf, that leaves Link, Zelda, and Sheik). I think this is a problem per se.
Representation is a fan concern. Not a Nintendo concern.

Ike is not derivative of Marth. He has his own, very distinct moveset.

I agree that the Marth clones should be costumes of Marth. If it's good enough for Dragon Quest, it's good enough for Fire Emblem. Hell, I'd argue that in a Smash reboot, Ike could also be rolled into Marth's moveset as a costume, with neutral B changed to Ike's dash and Up B changed to Aether for all characters, as Shield Breaker and Dolphin Slash aren't especially unique.

Zelda is "underrepresented" (again, not an actual concern), but this is also pretty heavily derived from a lack of in franchise significant, desirable playable characters. FE has roughly 700 characters. Zelda has dozens. Certainly, to that end, I'd love to see Toon Link/Young Link get relegated to Mii swordfighter costumes in future, Ganondorf get an actual moveset (caugh, Hyrule Warriors Ganondorf, caugh), and get a couple additional fighters.

I think that for a theoretical next Smash, a good FE roster would look something like Marth (with other characters as costumes), Robin, Edelgard (with a Hector costume), and some future character (as we're likely looking at multiple FE releases before then).

A good Zelda roster might look something like Link, Zelda, Ganondorf, Ruto, Midna and Wolf Link, Impa, and Revali (or pick your champion here - not Daruk).

Last edited:

Lenidem

Smash Lord
Representation is a fan concern. Not a Nintendo concern.
Maybe. But I'm a fan, I'm not Nintendo.

Zelda is "underrepresented" (again, not an actual concern), but this is also pretty heavily derived from a lack of in franchise significant, desirable playable characters. FE has roughly 700 characters. Zelda has dozens.
The number of playable fighters doesn't have to be proportionate to the number of characters in the franchise.

Janx_uwu

Smash Champion
Writing Team
Some more unpopular Smash opinions:
Wario is the lamest top tier character by a long shot.
Sonic needs a redesign to be more accurate to the games, and he's actually pretty fun to play against.
On a related note, the next Sega rep should be a second Sonic character
Subspace Emissary has bland environments and enemies, and while I'm aware platformer beat-em-ups are a thing I just really don't like them, so it ends up being my least favorite of the two Smash single player campaigns.
Toon Link is easily the most fun of all the Links.
It boggles me that they chose Ken over Chun-Li for a second Street Fighter rep.

Etheus Rook

Smash Apprentice
Maybe. But I'm a fan, I'm not Nintendo.

The number of playable fighters doesn't have to be proportionate to the number of characters in the franchise.
I didn't say that it does need to be proportionate. At all. But it does give them a lot more to work with in one franchise than another. Whether they are making good use of either franchise's character pool (they aren't) is another question entirely.

(It's actually more baffling that Fire Emblem Warriors squandered that roster than Smash did. Because most franchises looking at a Warriors spinoff would kill to have that many potential characters to pull from; FE Warriors could have pulled only the most popular 10% of all FE characters and still had one of the best, largest rosters in its genre history.)

It boggles me that they chose Ken over Chun-Li for a second Street Fighter rep.
Why does it? Chun Li plays nothing like Ryu and Ken. She's not echo fighter material if you want to do her any justice.

Mamboo07

Smash Hero
Some unpopular Smash opinions:
-Kirby hasn't gotten a new rep after Brawl for years, Bandana Dee should've been in the base rosters of Smash 4 and Ultimate.
-Wario Land is terribly represented, no stage and only one song!?
-Fire Emblem is pretty cool but I feel like it always gets too much favoritism.
-Characters like Wario and Ganon should had new redesigned movesets.
-It always baffles me that Kirby doesn't get a stage representing the modern era.

Janx_uwu

Smash Champion
Writing Team
Why does it? Chun Li plays nothing like Ryu and Ken. She's not echo fighter material if you want to do her any justice.
That's what I'm saying. I would've rather had her be an original character to represent Street Fighter, rather than have Ken be an echo. But if I had to choose in terms of echoes, of course I would choose Ken. All in all though I just think Chun-Li would've been a better choice than Ken to represent Street Fighter alongside Ryu.

Lenidem

Smash Lord
-Kirby hasn't gotten a new rep after Brawl for years, Bandana Dee should've been in the base rosters of Smash 4 and Ultimate.
-It always baffles me that Kirby doesn't get a stage representing the modern era.
Judging by what I read on this forum, all these opinions are actually pretty popular.

Etheus Rook

Smash Apprentice
That's what I'm saying. I would've rather had her be an original character to represent Street Fighter, rather than have Ken be an echo. But if I had to choose in terms of echoes, of course I would choose Ken. All in all though I just think Chun-Li would've been a better choice than Ken to represent Street Fighter alongside Ryu.
I get what you're saying, but no 3rd party franchise currently has multiple non-echo playable characters. With the effort required to make another full playable fighter, they could have given any new Capcom series a playable fighter. And you could fill an entire Fighter Pass just with unrepresented and deserving Capcom series (Devil May Cry, Phoenix Wright, Monster Hunter, Resident Evil, and Dark Stalkers, for example).

Last edited:

Janx_uwu

Smash Champion
Writing Team
I get what you're saying, but no 3rd party franchise currently has multiple non-echo playable characters. With the effort required to make another full playable fighter, they could have given any new Capcom series a playable fighter. And you could fill an entire Fighter Pass just with unrepresented and deserving Capcom series (Devil May Cry, Phoenix Wright, Monster Hunter, Resident Evil, and Dark Stalkers, for example).
Yeah. I still would take Chun-Li over Ken, but when I see it as a "what makes sense" for Smash, yeah probably not. I'd like to see her become playable in the next game but now that I consider it from your angle on Ultimate's base roster, yeah she really doesn't make much sense.

Etheus Rook

Smash Apprentice
Yeah. I still would take Chun-Li over Ken, but when I see it as a "what makes sense" for Smash, yeah probably not. I'd like to see her become playable in the next game but now that I consider it from your angle on Ultimate's base roster, yeah she really doesn't make much sense.
I would also like Chun-Li, by the way. She's a great character.

I wonder if the next game could perhaps be a sort of Nintendo vs. Capcom style reboot. Because you could very easily make a great fighting game off of just that.

Janx_uwu

Smash Champion
Writing Team
I would also like Chun-Li, by the way. She's a great character.

I wonder if the next game could perhaps be a sort of Nintendo vs. Capcom style reboot. Because you could very easily make a great fighting game off of just that.
I mean, I'd rather something like that and Smash be separate. But yeah, I get what you mean. That would be awesome. They could make it more similar to an arena fighter to differentiate it from MvC and Smash.

Last edited:

Champion of Hyrule

Smash Master
I really don’t get how any of these are “unpopular” opinions but ok

Etheus Rook

Smash Apprentice
Here's some that might get me crucified.

Bethesda was never that good.

Sonic was never that good.

The constant mentions of Mother 3 by the Nintendo youtube community are annoying. Please, Nintendo, just localize the game already so people will finally shut up about it.

The modern open world RPG Assassin's Creeds are such a huge step in the wrong direction from their predecessors.

I'm not excited for Cyberpunk 2077. Call me when someone adds a 3rd person mode.

Fighting game controls are clunky, unintuitive, and unfun. The best part of Smash is its intuitive controls, and characters like Ryu/Ken and Terry should have never had special inputs. Don't make me play DDR with my controller to do basic ****.

Last edited:

Etheus Rook

Smash Apprentice
Are you saying you don't like Sonic games, or that they just aren't good?
Mostly the former. But IMO, Sonic was never on par with Mario. And judging by how 90% of his output over the past decade has been dreadful, he probably never will be.

It wasn't as strong as my Bethesda statement. I've never had any respect for the buggiest of all studios.

Janx_uwu

Smash Champion
Writing Team
The Mario bit is 100% understandable. Nintendo has a much better grasp on how to make their mascot work in 3D. I definitely have my opinions on who is the better 2D platformer but that's a discussion for another day.
To be honest I'm not a huge fan of Sonic in the 2010's either. Generations and Mania were about the only two games I enjoyed from it.

Janx_uwu

Smash Champion
Writing Team
People say this is the Dark Age of Sonic

When in reality, it's this

Not to mention the Saturn and late Genesis era.

D

Deleted member

Pretty much anything to do with Toby Fox. So sick of hearing about this clown everywhere I go on the internet. You literally can't take a single step on a site without seeing some mention to Undertale, it's that bad. I hate seeing his OCs (SANS, can people just knock it off already?) everywhere too.

-Undertale is overrated. People hold this game to really high standards, treating it like the best game ever, and send you essays of why you're wrong if you don't think like they do. It's not the best game ever, far from it. Not a bad game by any means.. but, urgh. Please do us all a favour and shut up about it.
-Toby should be nowhere near Earthbound or any other popular franchises fans think he should be near. And no, just because he made a hack of Earthbound doesn't give him any rights to have any authority over the Mother franchise. "Toby Fox's Earthbound" is so unbelievably dumb to me.

-Dude's fanbase is absolutely obsessed with him. It's disturbing how bad his fanbase gets. Then he suddenly gets involved with Pokemon and Smash and.. urgh. Why does he have to get involved with everything, and drag his cult around with him?

-MatPat unironically giving the pope Undertale is so embarrassing to me.

-I was heavily against an Undertale rep.. so tired of fans not shutting the hell up about it whenever they were talking about speculation, and what character Toby would want.. I don't care. then we got the Sans mii costume. I groaned at it, but at least it's not playable. Better off, honestly.

I actually quite like Fallout 4 and 76. The main story's awful still for 4, but I do quite like everything else. The companions are great, their quests are done really well IMO. People should pay more attention towards everything else about the game, because what's there is really good. It's not as bad as you think, believe me.
76 reminds me of Fallout 1 in a way, with pockets of civilization (thanks to Wastelanders) being scattered around. I also quite liked 3, but I wish the console versions weren't riddled with bugs. I haven't tried 3 on PC though, only 4 and 76.

I'm having fun with the SWSH DLC. It's a massive improvement over what was there in the base game, just on having the Crown Tundra alone. Although the double package is nice, I guess. Isle of Armor wasn't too bad. Shiny-hunting for the first time on Regieleki at the minute but still no luck.

I don't really like Persona 5. See the reasons for Undertale. People just won't shut up about it. And people unironically doing the calling card crap on Twitter is embarrassing to see. I hate seeing "Ren Ayamiya" and Joker PFPs wherever I go. It's become the video game equivalent of an anime profile picture to me. Again, if you dare say that it's not the best game ever, then people send you essays about how you're the worst person alive. Urgh. Frustrating.

Might as well throw in an unpopular Smash opinion too:

I'm fine with Fire Emblem reps. I wanted Alm/Celica. Lyn. Anna. Hector would have been good to see too, and maybe someone like Sigurd or Eliwood to have someone on a horse.

I laughed my ass off when I saw Byleth, after all that guess-who crap we all had to witness. Felt like the Smash fanbase deserved another FE rep after all that toxicity, honestly. They did deserve Byleth for sure.

But ignoring all that, and as a playable character, I like her! Definitely wanted to see Three Houses in Smash and we got it alright. Byleth's my main, love her specials - best part about her. Was an instant main for me.

I'm not a big fan of the more gimmicky fighters we've gotten recently, I like the more simple and sweet characters like Byleth. Someone you can just pick up and play, and not have to get a degree in order to understand everything about them.

Last edited by a moderator:

Champion of Hyrule

Smash Master
Pretty much anything to do with Toby Fox. So sick of hearing about this clown everywhere I go on the internet. You literally can't take a single step on a site without seeing some mention to Undertale, it's that bad. I hate seeing his OCs (SANS, can people just knock it off already?) everywhere too.

-Undertale is overrated. People hold this game to really high standards, treating it like the best game ever, and send you essays of why you're wrong if you don't think like they do. It's not the best game ever, far from it. Not a bad game by any means.. but, urgh. Please do us all a favour and shut up about it.
-Toby should be nowhere near Earthbound or any other popular franchises fans think he should be near. And no, just because he made a hack of Earthbound doesn't give him any rights to have any authority over the Mother franchise. "Toby Fox's Earthbound" is so unbelievably dumb to me.

-Dude's fanbase is absolutely obsessed with him. It's disturbing how bad his fanbase gets. Then he suddenly gets involved with Pokemon and Smash and.. urgh. Why does he have to get involved with everything, and drag his cult around with him?

-I was heavily against an Undertale rep.. so tired of fans not shutting the hell up about it whenever they were talking about speculation, and what character Toby would want.. I don't care. then we got the Sans mii costume. I groaned at it, but at least it's not playable. Better off, honestly.

I actually quite like Fallout 4 and 76. The main story's awful still for 4, but I do quite like everything else. The companions are great, their quests are done really well IMO. People should pay more attention towards everything else about the game, because what's there is really good. It's not as bad as you think, believe me.
76 reminds me of Fallout 1 in a way, with pockets of civilization (thanks to Wastelanders) being scattered around. I also quite liked 3, but I wish the console versions weren't riddled with bugs. I haven't tried 3 on PC though, only 4 and 76.

I'm having fun with the SWSH DLC. It's a massive improvement over what was there in the base game, just on having the Crown Tundra alone. Although the double package is nice, I guess. Isle of Armor wasn't too bad. Shiny-hunting for the first time on Regieleki at the minute but still no luck.

I don't really like Persona 5. See the reasons for Undertale. People just won't shut up about it. And people unironically doing the calling card crap on Twitter is embarrassing to see. I hate seeing "Ren Ayamiya" and Joker PFPs wherever I go. It's become the video game equivalent of an anime profile picture to me. Again, if you dare say that it's not the best game ever, then people send you essays about how you're the worst person alive. Urgh. Frustrating.

I'm fine with Fire Emblem reps. I wanted Alm/Celica. Lyn. Anna. Hector would have been good to see too, and maybe someone like Sigurd or Eliwood to have someone on a horse.

I laughed my ass off when I saw Byleth, after all that guess-who crap we all had to witness. Felt like the Smash fanbase deserved another FE rep after all that toxicity, honestly. They did deserve Byleth for sure.

But ignoring all that, and as a playable character, I like her! Definitely wanted to see Three Houses in Smash and we got it alright. Byleth's my main, love her specials - best part about her. Was an instant main for me.

I'm not a big fan of the more gimmicky fighters we've gotten recently, I like the more simple and sweet characters like Byleth. Someone you can just pick up and play, and not have to get a degree in order to understand everything about them.
Dude, you’re allowed to disagree that Undertale is good, but you’re kinda being toxic about it here. Telling people they’re not allowed to talk about the game isn’t a good thing. Just ignore them. How about you talk about the actual parts of the game you dislike instead of insulting anyone who enjoys the game

Same with Persona 5. You’re acting like somebody having a Joker profile picture is a personal insult to you. That’s ridiculous

Pokelego999

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-0935-8215-2605

Sounds like it's more a fanbase problem, not a game problem. As with all toxic fanbases (At least, if you view them that way, I dunno, I ain't in the community) just ignore, as Champion of Hyrule Champion of Hyrule stated.

D

Deleted member

No, both a fanbase and game problem for me. You can't ignore them. Believe me, I tried. They're everywhere. Can't exactly ignore them now, can you? Unless you become a hermit. Just sick of hearing about those two games everywhere I go, that's all. I didn't need the defense squads on me, calm down.

You wanted an unpopular opinion, I gave you one. Don't lash out at me for it.

This proves my point. You're not allowed to be negative about these two properties without people calling you "toxic" for thinking this way - hence it being an unpopular opinion. Stop it.

Lenidem

Smash Lord
No, both a fanbase and game problem for me. You can't ignore them. Believe me, I tried. They're everywhere. Can't exactly ignore them now, can you? Unless you become a hermit.

You can't exactly "ignore" them when they're practically everywhere. Just sick of hearing about those two games everywhere I go.

You wanted an unpopular opinion, I gave you one. Don't lash out at me for it. I don't really care if I'm being toxic or not about it. I don't need the defense squad on my case. Lay off.

This proves my point. You're not allowed to be negative about these two properties without people calling you "toxic." Stop it.
The game itself is not exactly responsible of its fanbase, is it? It can be great and be enjoyed by awful people.

D

Deleted member

The game itself is not exactly responsible of its fanbase, is it? It can be great and be enjoyed by awful people.
The two go hand in hand. I don't like the fanbase, or the game. I'm sick of hearing about it over and over. Hence, an unpopular opinion. Accept that, please.

Don't call me toxic because I gave an opinion you didn't like. That's what this thread is for, right?

Lenidem

Smash Lord
The two go hand in hand. I don't like the fanbase, or the game. I'm sick of hearing about it over and over. Hence, an unpopular opinion. Accept that, please.

Don't call me toxic because I gave an opinion you didn't like. That's what this thread is for, right?
I didn't call you toxic.

You can dislike the fanbase and the game, but disliking a game because of its fanbase seems wierd to me.

Also, I think the opinions expressed in this thread can be discussed. If we have to accept your (unpopular) opinion, you have to accept that some people disagree with you.

Janx_uwu

Smash Champion
Writing Team
I don't care if you don't like the fanbase. Lots of fanbases I don't like either. But-
You literally can't take a single step on a site without seeing some mention to Undertale, it's that bad
Yeah, it's a popular game that people really like. They can talk about it all they want.
Then he suddenly gets involved with Pokemon and Smash and.. urgh. Why does he have to get involved with everything
Maybe because he's a talented developer that's brought indie games into a new light?
People just won't shut up about it
It just kind of sounds like you don't want Undertale and Persona fans to talk about Undertale and Persona.
Yes, that sounds pretty toxic to me.

Top Bottom