• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What Are Your Unpopular Gaming Opinions? (Ver. 2)

LAA9000

Smash Journeyman
Slippi.gg
JUST#956
3DS FC
0361-9069-2936
Switch FC
SW-5393-4946-0209
Link's Awakening has no right being full price
I will absolutely agree on that. It's a Game Boy game.

Also Nintendo needs to decrease the prices of some of their older games (such as ARMS and Splatoon 2 now that content updates for those two are over). Having recently built a PC and installed Steam, I'm surprised by how cheap most games are.

Edit: A couple more opinions, specifically regarding video game movie adaptations. I would've put more if Chrome hadn't crushed my dreams by deleting my full edit. That's just life, I guess...
  • A Nintendo Cinematic Universe is an awful idea. Nintendo games, as mentioned before, focus first and foremost on gameplay and so focus less on other aspects, including story. Trying to make an entire cinematic universe out of them would therefore result in a series where practically nothing of interest happens. The Sonic movie works because it takes a lot of creative liberties and deviates from the source material, which my inner Nintendo fanboy would hate to see, and the Detective Pikachu movie only works because it's based on a visual novel that has very little gameplay. The MCU only works because Marvel had decades of comic books to go off of, which could pretty easily be translated into movie format. Not to mention the question of how well movies of less popular IPs like Fire Emblem would perform at the box office.
  • Video game adaptations into movies or series should be more 'niche', as odd as that sounds. In this case, the close fans and general audience want very different things, so trying to please one would upset the other, and I say the fans are more important (before you say that's terrible for business, remember this is the unpopular opinions thread). The producers should choose a format and direction fans will actually take seriously and stay true to the source material.

Last edited:

Wigglerman

Smash Ace
I will absolutely agree on that. It's a Game Boy game.

Also Nintendo needs to decrease the prices of some of their older games (such as ARMS and Splatoon 2 now that content updates for those two are over). Having recently built a PC and installed Steam, I'm surprised by how cheap most games are.

Edit: A couple more opinions, specifically regarding video game movie adaptations. I would've put more if Chrome hadn't crushed my dreams by deleting my full edit. That's just life, I guess...
  • A Nintendo Cinematic Universe is an awful idea. Nintendo games, as mentioned before, focus first and foremost on gameplay and so focus less on other aspects, including story. Trying to make an entire cinematic universe out of them would therefore result in a series where practically nothing of interest happens. The Sonic movie works because it takes a lot of creative liberties and deviates from the source material, which my inner Nintendo fanboy would hate to see, and the Detective Pikachu movie only works because it's based on a visual novel that has very little gameplay. The MCU only works because Marvel had decades of comic books to go off of, which could pretty easily be translated into movie format. Not to mention the question of how well movies of less popular IPs like Fire Emblem would perform at the box office.
  • Video game adaptations into movies or series should be more 'niche', as odd as that sounds. In this case, the close fans and general audience want very different things, so trying to please one would upset the other, and I say the fans are more important (before you say that's terrible for business, remember this is the unpopular opinions thread). The producers should choose a format and direction fans will actually take seriously and stay true to the source material.
We talking about the remake they did? How is a full on remake with assets developed from the ground up not worth full price? if it were just a direct port, sure I could agree.

As for Nintendo prices, they've got to start bringing the Nintendo Selects back on older titles to offer them affordably. Though a lot of the time it isn't just Nintendo to blame. Retailers won't drop Nintendo game prices almost ever unless there's re-releases or they sit for long enough. The third party titles will drop but the Nintendo IPs? You can't even go into second hand stores and get a decent deal on Nintendo Switch games, even used.

Masterbrady7

Smash Rookie
Shadows of Valentia wasnt inferior, even if only one item at a time was allowed to be equipped and Magic used health. Heck, I LIKED magic taking health, you essentially had unlimited uses unlike other games.

LAA9000

Smash Journeyman
Slippi.gg
JUST#956
3DS FC
0361-9069-2936
Switch FC
SW-5393-4946-0209
We talking about the remake they did? How is a full on remake with assets developed from the ground up not worth full price? if it were just a direct port, sure I could agree.
Because it's still the same game and so the same 6-10 hour length as the original. Also another unpopular opinion I have: games that take under 15 hours to beat are not worth full price.

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
Shadows of Valentia wasnt inferior, even if only one item at a time was allowed to be equipped and Magic used health. Heck, I LIKED magic taking health, you essentially had unlimited uses unlike other games.
This. I only wish it was used in future games.

Btw, speaking of Fire Emblem, here are some gameplay mechanics I feel like could make the world feel truly medieval:

-Actual siege engines (siege ladders/towers and battering rams) and ways to counter them (hot tar)
-Being able to send units out with soldiers to do their own thing (run errands, take down smaller skirmishes while you focus on major battles, and go on reconnaissance missions)
-A reputation system that depends on how you act in each battle, chapter or auxiliary (sparing or killing some bosses, how ruthless or caring you are towards enemy soldiers, etc.), which would not only effect NPC’s, but also playable units who aren’t part of the story (like in supports, motivation, likeliness to stay in your army)
-Certain auxiliary bosses joining you if you spare them, but only if you’re willing to pay them monthly
-Jousting competitions (a sort of battle minigame) where only mounted units (preferably horseback, but pegasi and wyverns are allowed) are allowed to participate. Battles are the same as any Fire Emblem battle, but with the rules of jousting.
-An archery minigame where units focused on range (archers and mages) have to hit a target, and that unit gets more points the closer their projectile is to the center (which is determined by the Hit Rate)

Last edited:

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
Non-intrusive microtransactions (see: CTR) are OK, if not good.

I love the "cutesy" route recent Classic Sonic-related games and products have been taking, makes a good difference between the two Sonic eras.

Speaking of CS, returning to Green Hill Zone is always a treat.

LAA9000

Smash Journeyman
Slippi.gg
JUST#956
3DS FC
0361-9069-2936
Switch FC
SW-5393-4946-0209
  • Zoning can be pretty fun. I don't exactly know why, but something about being able to maximise the effectiveness of projectiles is oddly satisfying to me. It also helps that some zoners can be pretty decent up close in case they need to be. The obvious example of an exciting zoner is :ultpacman:, but I also think :ultsamus::ultdarksamus: and :ultmegaman: can do cool stuff. In addition, while likely the most popular opinion on this 'unpopular opinions' thread, players need to stop complaining about projectiles. Play patiently, collect info on the opponent, find any patterns and abuse them when approaching. If you're struggling with that, I'd recommend you pick up Wolf, as he has a reflector, a projectile of his own with transcendent priority, good air speed to get in and good punishes when he does. I thought r/smashbros was bad enough with rookie complaining, and then I discovered r/SmashBrosUltimate and it low key makes me want to commit mass genocide (obviously that was a joke). Let's just be glad I haven't discovered r/SmashRage yet.
  • :ultwario:'s Waft is pretty much fine. It takes a full 2 minutes to charge full Waft, so of course it would have great reward. In addition, it's comparable to :ultjigglypuff:'s Rest, both being very high-risk, very early kill moves that their respective characters have setups into. The problem is that :ultwario: is great regardless of it and still feels like a lot of other high and even top tiers without it. In that regard, either Waft should have reduced kill power to kill at, say, 50% instead of 35%, or some of :ultwario:'s other moves (e.g. utilt, nair, uair) should receive slight nerfs to compensate for Waft being so good. However, it's still not overcentralising for the character, which is good in my book, and in general I'm against nerfing characters unless they are overpowered to the point that they're killing the game and its competitive scene.

VodkaHaze

Smash Journeyman
NNID
VodkaHaze58
Skyward Sword is my favourite Zelda game, and I dislike Twilight Princess. I know many Zelda fans have the opposite opinion, but I love the aesthetic, dungeons and bosses of SS. Ghirahim was a cool villain, and when I finally got to see Demise, I fell in love with his design. But I cannot get into TP because I dislike the aesthetic and gameplay. I got to about the second dungeon and was bored the entire time.

StrangeKitten

Smash Lord
I genuinely like Big the Cat. I mean, it makes sense because cats are my favorite animal, but still. He's pretty cute and amusing, and once you get the hang of fishing, his section in SA doesn't even take that long to complete.

Treasure hunting and mech stages in SA2 are fun, with the exceptions of Security Hall and Mad Space

EpicNoob

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
4534-6472-5030
Mario Party 9 is the best Mario Party game.

How, you may ask? How about I go over the main complaint.

"tHe CaR iS bAD"
No, just no. The car was actually really fun and it was customisable as well. Great addition imo.

Anyways, other than that, the game has a great soundtrack, and awesome things other than the story mode.

dinkeytom

Smash Apprentice
PlayStation may have a lot more exclusives than Xbox, but most of them don't really interest me.
I bought a PS3 as an exercise in fixing the YLOD, (that's how I got an Xbox 360 because I was only 13 and couldn't afford RRP), and because I wanted to try out MGS4. My expectations weren't met. I tried some other games like LBP and still didn't get pulled into the system. I originally got the 360 because I wanted to play Rare's games and to my surprise I thoroughly enjoyed them despite most of the fanbase bashing them at the time, I also stayed for Halo 3. I tried the PS2 games by Naughty Dog and Insomniac because they were often compared to Banjo Kazooie, but felt that their charm couldn't match. I bought an XBONE and PS4 a few months after launch because I had a job by then. I was disappointed with both consoles, but barely played the PS4. I enjoyed the WiiU over both of them.
It's strange because the first console I ever played was the PSOne and have fond memories of Rayman and Spiderman, but those weren't exclusives. The only exclusives I like seems to be Parappa the Rapper, Locco Rocco and Patapon. It wasn't until I played GameCube and got an N64 that I realised I am a Nintendo gamer.
Sony has their place firm in the gaming industry, and I imagine a world without them will be boring. Many people enjoy PlayStation games and rightly so, but they are just not for me, however I hope PlayStation continues to be a threat to Xbox because I believe some of XGS's best works are yet to come as a response to the lack of Xbox Exclusives.
I will give PS5 a miss though.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
That I see certain people as sprite nazis because they love sprite based games and praise the hell out of it's graphics and absolutely hates early 3D games like on the N64/PS1 mainly for it's graphics because they see the early polygons as "Ugly" and the gameplay as "****" despite being revolutionary for it's time.

That the collectathon needs to die in order for the 3D platforming genre to breath new live and be revolutionary and popular once again. It's a overuse concept and something like Mystical Ninja: Starring Goemon would be a good example of a great game that didn't use the collectathon concept. More 3D platformers should try to do what Mystical Ninja: Starring Goemon did where it played like a mix between Mario and Zelda.

Perkilator

Smash Legend
I understand wanting to use Ultimate as a means to celebrate the series, but…this means there will ALWAYS be more old stages than new ones. This isn’t necessarily a bad thing, but if I were in charge of stage selection, I would divide the stage lineup between half new stages and half old ones (at least for the base game).

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I can't be paid to use a Gamecube controller for a tournament. The disorganized buttons make my hands feel like falling from a plane and trying to land on them after like 30 minutes and the joysticks are a pain in the ass because my fingers always slip off. Not to mention the big cut down the middle that makes the controller feel like it's ready to snap in half.

Last edited by a moderator:

OnyanRings

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-4662-0014-5533
Donkey Kong Country's a bad platformer with really poor floaty controls. It relies entirely on the aesthetic, the music, the characters, but it’s just not a good game mechanically.

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
Depending on who you ask this may or may not be unpopular, but I think the Sonic Adventure duology is utter garbage. I find Sonic and Shadow go all over the place and are really hard to control.

Champion of Hyrule

Smash Master
There really aren't that many bad games, like if a game isn't as enjoyable as you thought, that doesn't mean it's bad and I can say for certainty every game has enjoyable parts. When reviewing a game people always want to talk about negatives more often. Anyways, what I'm trying to say is that there are totally horrible games that can only give an extremely tiny amount of enjoyment out of people, but there are so few of those games and Nintendo or big name publishers probably haven't made any. And I can't stress this last part enough, actually play a game or play a good amount of a game before calling it bad. Even games that are almost universally considered terrible could be a fun experience for you

Perkilator

Smash Legend
Classic Mode’s difficultly raise is a good concept, but the execution is horse dung because of solely relying on clear time and damage percentage. Even when I win a match in less than 10 seconds and take no damage on higher difficulty, I sometimes get a .6 raise at best (to my memory, anyways). Which is a shame, because I appreciate for being different and giving EVERY fighter a special route with specific final battles at the end.

(Btw here’s a shameless plug)

Perkilator

Smash Legend
When it comes to Smash, big names are fully welcome. But a fun moveset should ALWAYS take priority.

This is the exact reason why I support characters like Axel Stone, DeMille from Tomato Adventure, Sakura Shinguji, Jill Valentine, Min Min, Euden from Dragalia Lost, etc. I don't 100% flock to big name characters for the sake of boosting Smash's celebrity status.

LAA9000

Smash Journeyman
Slippi.gg
JUST#956
3DS FC
0361-9069-2936
Switch FC
SW-5393-4946-0209
  • While I don't necessarily like their English voices, I prefer :ultmarth::ultroy: having English voices like in Ultimate, compared to being voiced in Japanese, simply because they have canon English voices in their series. It always felt weird that after Melee, they retained their Japanese voices in all regions, even though Fire Emblem had since been established in the West and even the other FE characters were voiced in English. :ultcloud: has no excuse either now that he has a new English VA in FF7R.
  • Not an unpopular opinion, but an update to a previous one. My stance on tier lists has changed; now I understand the importance of tier lists and how a good one can be made, and I ironically now get annoyed by tier list deniers. Some low tier mains seem to think that by denying the existence of tier lists (which are a result of no game being perfectly balanced), their main suddenly isn't bad because no character is bad or good. Hate to break it to you, but getting top players to stop making tier lists won't suddenly make :ultisabelle: as good as :ultpikachu:. There's also the classic 'just play who you want', which is a result of people somehow interpreting a tier list as pretty much a ruleset declaring that people can only play high tiers and above. I have no idea how they interpret them as such, but nothing is stopping them from just 'playing who they like' except themselves hammering this idea into their own brains. Finally, people take clips of low tier upsets at top level play as proof that tier lists are false, failing to realise those are very rare compared to high tiers winning. While they can achieve good results, it is much harder for them to do so compared to those higher up the list, which justifies their placement. It's why Melee players aren't claiming :roymelee: should be higher on the tier list (Zain won just one tournament with him recently), but are claiming :jigglypuffmelee: should (Hungrybox won many tournaments with them over the past five years).

Champion of Hyrule

Smash Master
  • While I don't necessarily like their English voices, I prefer :ultmarth::ultroy: having English voices like in Ultimate, compared to being voiced in Japanese, simply because they have canon English voices in their series. It always felt weird that after Melee, they retained their Japanese voices in all regions, even though Fire Emblem had since been established in the West and even the other FE characters were voiced in English. :ultcloud: has no excuse either now that he has a new English VA in FF7R.
  • Not an unpopular opinion, but an update to a previous one. My stance on tier lists has changed; now I understand the importance of tier lists and how a good one can be made, and I ironically now get annoyed by tier list deniers. Some low tier mains seem to think that by denying the existence of tier lists (which are a result of no game being perfectly balanced), their main suddenly isn't bad because no character is bad or good. Hate to break it to you, but getting top players to stop making tier lists won't suddenly make :ultisabelle: as good as :ultpikachu:. There's also the classic 'just play who you want', which is a result of people somehow interpreting a tier list as pretty much a ruleset declaring that people can only play high tiers and above. I have no idea how they interpret them as such, but nothing is stopping them from just 'playing who they like' except themselves hammering this idea into their own brains. Finally, people take clips of low tier upsets at top level play as proof that tier lists are false, failing to realise those are very rare compared to high tiers winning. While they can achieve good results, it is much harder for them to do so compared to those higher up the list, which justifies their placement. It's why Melee players aren't claiming :roymelee: should be higher on the tier list (Zain won just one tournament with him recently), but are claiming :jigglypuffmelee: should (Hungrybox won many tournaments with them over the past five years).
I believe tier lists do have some merit to them, but they shouldn’t be the most important part of competitive Smash

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team
  • Killzone Shadow Fall is my favorite Killzone game. While it probably has the weakest story, it has the best gameplay. I really enjoy the more open-world nature of the levels and it brought some new mechanics including taking advantage of the PS4's touch pad, which was quickly forgotten. It also has the most options when it comes to playing multiplayer mode by yourself. In previous Killzone games the online mode felt limited, but this game made it so that you could actually choose the game mode you want and it gave you plenty of options when it came to customizing the matches. Yes the multiplayer is meant to be played by well....multiple people but multiplayer games tend to irritate me, which brings me to my next opinion....
  • I'm not sure if this is unpopular per say, despite what people like to claim, but I much prefer single player games to multiplayer games. This is for many reasons.
    • In order to be even decent at most mutliplayer games you have to consistently play for hours each day and while I do have the time, I don't have the motivation to do it as I like to keep playing a variety of games.
    • I just get angry when I'm playing multiplayer games, as a result of me not playing them for long periods of time and getting good at them. There are exceptions like Monster Hunter where I still have my groove even after not playing it for a long time and it depends on you using strategies against a.i monsters instead of actual people who can become borderline godly good and can adapt to defeat your strategies. There is also other games like Call of Duty which reward you even if you are doing bad and if you are on a team there is less pressure and other people can make up for your mistakes so you don't feel like you cost your team the game. There is also Clubhouse Games but that is because a lot of the games have a focus on luck more than skill. Yeah call me a casual all you want but I want to have a sense of accomplishment and make progress through games instead of getting my behind handed to me and rage quitting. This is why i don't play Smash Ultimate online a lot because lag + s*****/troll players = frustrating online experience.
    • Overall, multiplayer games can be draining. I had to stop playing CTR Nitro Fueled because while I really like the game, it felt like I had to dedicate a lot of time to unlock stuff and keep playing the multiplayer to stay good at the game and get enough coins to unlock things in a timely manner. It was toxic for me and I have to stay away from the game which sucks but I guess that confirms I'm not part of the audience for multiplayer games that rewards you for coming back daily. I just want to play games at my own pace and not have to worry about missing out on items and events.
  • God of War 3 is my favorite due to the boss battles and the spectacular set pieces. I also think Ascension is a good game.

Rizen

Smash Legend
Twilight Princess HD was a mistake. They should have remade the entire thing like with OoT rather than upping the resolution. TP looked really good when it came out but it has not aged well. TP HD is a barren world with awkward high res blocky objects and basic AI enemies. It desperately needs a ton more plants, intractable objects and more complex animations to flesh out the environments. It does not look good.

Champion of Hyrule

Smash Master
The Metroid series is overrated, especially Super Metroid. The only reason people seem to praise Super Metroid is for the sense of exploration (And the soundtrack I suppose, and while I do love it, a game can't survive on music alone) which nowadays feels confusing, boring and outdated. And besides, everyone reviewing the game always only ever talks about how "I loved exploring caves as a kid!" Yeah like, you're a professional game reviewer talk about more than just nostalgia

edit: it’s been a year and metroid is one of my favorite series now yeah this opinion is **** lmao

Last edited:

R O F L

Smash Ace
The second half of Portal 2's story mode is the worst Portal ever gets. It isn't bad, but it's mediocre compared to any other part of Portal and Portal 2.
IMO the story twist doesn't work, the game design and puzzles takes a severe decline in quality, and the pacing is destroyed.

Top Bottom