• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What Are Your Unpopular Gaming Opinions? (Ver. 2)

Kholdstare

Nightmare Weaver
I dislike Fortnite because of the building mechanic. I understand that it is completely skill-based but it's just not my style. I'm all for shooters like Rainbow Six Siege, Counter Strike, Team Fortress 2, Overwatch, and even PUBG but not Fortnite. That's not to say it's not a great game, because it is. It's just the building mechanic that turns me away.

DrCoeloCephalo

Banned via Warnings
NNID
DrCoeloCephalo
3DS FC
5086-1965-6195
Switch FC
SW-2795-9234-1507
Pokemon is VASTLY inferior compared to practically every monster collecting RPG in existence and what's more is that it's not even original. I've been with Pokemon ever since its RBY days and played every generation up to the scam that is USUM but since I started playing a variety of other monster collecting RPGs both new and even older than Pokemon, I'm honestly convinced Pokemon is HUGELY overrated.

Last edited:

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
Pokemon X & Y are the best Pokemon games.

The story may have been lackluster, but I don't usually play Pokemon for it's story. I play it for the all of the unique Pokemon to capture, and the fun region to explore. And man, does X & Y excel in both Region and Pokemon design? It may be due to my love of European flair, but man, Kalos, is such a fun and beautiful region to explore. it's just a blast... The new Pokemon are amazing. Pokemon like Greninja, Meowstic, Gogoat, Tyrantrum, Slyveon, Xerneas, Noivern, and Zygarde are some of the best Pokemon designs in the entire franchise. And then, the music, oh man... Easily, one the best soundtracks in the entire series. Tracks like Lumiose City, Battle! Trainer, and Battle! Gym Leader manage to keep popping in my head, during my everyday life and are just very memorable.

I don't know, it's just that out of all the Pokemon games I've played, they're the ones I've enjoyed the most...

Though honorable mentions to my first games, Pokemon Black and White

Last edited:

DDRC

Smash Apprentice
I love platformers but have mario and momentum based platformers in general. Cant get into them. Maybe i should just git gud but idc

LucarioOfLegends

Smash Rookie
Here's a quickie!

Sonic Forces is bad, but the boost formula is not even close to bad. Its all dependent on level design, and Sonic Forces completely dropped the ball in that department. We've had great boost levels before, so its obviously not the formula that is the issue, but the people making the levels for it.

DrCoeloCephalo

Banned via Warnings
NNID
DrCoeloCephalo
3DS FC
5086-1965-6195
Switch FC
SW-2795-9234-1507
Pokemon is hugely inferior compared to any other monster collector and in general has no consistent improvement and the fact its fanbase commits to such constant petty infighting over which games are better proves that. If they had any real quality, they'd be objectively better every sequel but they aren't. That's especially no thanks to Game Freak sucking so hard at actually making games but all the morons out there keep buying their nonsense and then keep complaining about flaws and problems in those games that flat out don't exist in other monster collectors.

It's also SEGA's fault they keep unnecessarily rebuilding the physics for Sonic games from scratch leading to so many splits in what Sonic fans believe are ideal gameplay physics for Sonic.

Last edited:

Rizen

Smash Legend
I dislike joycons; they're too small and make my hands cramp. It's stupid that any game forces you to use them.

BowserKing

Smash Lord
Here are my unpopular gaming opinions

For games I've played:
Family Guy: Back to the Multiverse is an awesome game

For games I've seen videos of (those games being hard to find, plus I don't have most of those gaming systems)

I honestly find Godzilla Unleashed and Godzilla for PS4 to be underrated games
I find Super Smash Bros Melee to be overrated, as it is too competitive for me
Super Smash Bros Brawl was my favourite Smash Game, until Super Smash Bros Ultimate Direct. Brawl became my Second favourite Smash Game as a result

Alicorn

Cyber Bunny
I find Pokemon to be overrated, its the same tossed salad, with a story no one really cares about, most people I think are there for the competitive scene.

Rizen

Smash Legend
The vast majority of shiny pokemon are just uglier color swaps. IDK why people want them.

Kefil

Smash Rookie
Fallout 4 was so dumbed down that it's not even a RPG, and i'm afraid that the same will happen to TES6.

D

Deleted member

This’ll be fun. Alrighty, here I go.

1. You know the indie games that are known for having bad fanbases? (Baldi, Bendy, Undertale, etc.) I actually enjoy a good amount of them. Not perfect by any means, but still very fun.
2. I personally feel a lot of the Fire Emblem designs take away from the experience for me. It’s like they’re trying ti make me horny or something. Oh, wait! They are!
3. I honestly don’t care who the fighters are. I trust Sakurai/Nintendo’s choices to pick good characters.
4. I feel LGBTQ+ representation is being awfully pushed in some video games. You wanna have a trans character? Sure, why not? I have nothing against LGBTQ+ people, but I feel representation can feel awkward and forced at times. (After all, we need more gamer representation. We’re so oppressed.)

st marshmallow

Smash Rookie
The Zelda Series outside of Breath of the Wild and the first half of Wind Waker is not fun. I tried really hard to like the series but the gameplay is slow and not very rewarding, the story and items usually fail to satisfy me and the sidequests are pretty boring as well. The items are supposed to be rewards but feel more like tools you need rather than something you want. They unlock parts of the world but the World is too linear to enjoy exploring in most of the games. Some of them have little use outside of the dungeon. Puzzles are sometimes satisfying but more often than not frustrating and I find myself looking up a guide.

Call me whatever for not enjoy the mind bending of puzzles but I'd much rather have the instant gratification of a 2D platformer, or the endless exploration and things to do and abundant rewards of Breath of the Wild.

TL;DR Zelda series is not fun for various reasons.

st marshmallow

Smash Rookie
4. I feel LGBTQ+ representation is being awfully pushed in some video games. You wanna have a trans character? Sure, why not? I have nothing against LGBTQ+ people, but I feel representation can feel awkward and forced at times. (After all, we need more gamer representation. We’re so oppressed.)
I it's a trans character in Assassin's Creed which is completely unrealistic thats understandable.

But literally there's no such thing as "forced diversity". The world we live in is diverse. Yes there's gay people in the world. I don't have a problem with random LGBTwhatever+ characters as long as they're as well designed/written as other characters and not just there so the company can jerk off in their own progressive clout. Overwatch does pretty good with this. J.K. Rowling, does not.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I dislike the Doom franchise a lot.

Some people from the fandom ruined it for me by harassing and mocking me as a whole until I played Doom 2, Brutal Doom and 2016 while selling those as games that everyone had to play, and only becoming worth by playing in the hardest difficulty.
In the end, they just made me find them ok and repetitive. My copy of 2016 is in my shelf taking dust ever since that happened.

Thankfully, the Mortal Kombat fandom actually behaved better.

D

Deleted member

I don't think navi from ocarina of time is annoying at all, in fact i think her haters are more annoying

D

Deleted member

I actually don't hate Teddie from Persona 4 and I think his puns are funny.

Lore

Infinite Gravity
BRoomer
The Zelda Series outside of Breath of the Wild and the first half of Wind Waker is not fun. I tried really hard to like the series but the gameplay is slow and not very rewarding, the story and items usually fail to satisfy me and the sidequests are pretty boring as well. The items are supposed to be rewards but feel more like tools you need rather than something you want. They unlock parts of the world but the World is too linear to enjoy exploring in most of the games. Some of them have little use outside of the dungeon. Puzzles are sometimes satisfying but more often than not frustrating and I find myself looking up a guide.

Call me whatever for not enjoy the mind bending of puzzles but I'd much rather have the instant gratification of a 2D platformer, or the endless exploration and things to do and abundant rewards of Breath of the Wild.

TL;DR Zelda series is not fun for various reasons.
You might would enjoy Majora's Mask, where the content is condensed much more than the other 3d games. Tons of great sidequests in an interesting world.

Link to the Past is a great 2d game as well, if you haven't tried it.

Recommendations aside, I feel you on the instant gratification of other games. It feels like so many games nowadays are "it gets better after 20 hours!" rather than being fun at the start. It's lame as hell.

Have you played N++? It's a masterpiece of 2d platforming.

I dislike the Doom franchise a lot.

Some people from the fandom ruined it for me by harassing and mocking me as a whole until I played Doom 2, Brutal Doom and 2016 while selling those as games that everyone had to play, and only becoming worth by playing in the hardest difficulty.
In the end, they just made me find them ok and repetitive. My copy of 2016 is in my shelf taking dust ever since that happened.

Thankfully, the Mortal Kombat fandom actually behaved better.
Oof, I'm sorry to hear that this happened. I love Doom 2016, and I rarely play on the hardest difficulty. It's fun, but the hardest difficulty makes it a slog at times when you have to repeat a level too much.

I enjoyed Red Steel.
Me too. It was neat.

Last edited:

Rizen

Smash Legend
IDK how popular this opinion is but Nintendo's arts and crafts style games don't look good. I'm talking about Yoshi's crafted World and Kirby and the Rainbow Curse specifically. They try so hard to make it look like a cardboard world or claymation that it ends up looking ugly and sloppy. Walace and Grommit for example is good claymation and KirbyatRC looks like low frame rate sloppy claymation. Similarly Yoshi'sCW has dull colors and a lot of exposed cardboard.

The times Nintendo succeeded with stylized graphics were Kirby's Canvas Curse and Yoshi's Wooly World because the colors were nice and bright and they actually looked like good examples of those styles.

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
Final Fantasy IX is boring and full of uninteresting characters with bad designs.

D

Deleted member

I think the story of Kingdom Hearts isn't as complicated as people claim

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
FFXV's plot and key characters like Noctis and Ardyn are actually pretty good.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Nintendo Opinions

Wario's Woods beats Dr. Mario any day of the week for a Mario themed puzzle game. Hugely underrated and an action puzzler I feel everyone should get to experience at least once.

Super Mario 3D World is pretty underrated and I think I preferred it slightly to Mario Odyssey.
If 3D World comes to the Switch I genuinely will have no reason to ever boot up the Wii U again outside using it for Netflix and Crunchyroll. I think it gets WAAAAY too much hate these days for what it actually deserves. Also great fun in multiplayer unlike both Galaxy games and Odyssey which make me question why they constantly insist on putting in half baked 'co-op assist' modes. Two-four player or bust.

Super Mario Sunshine meanwhile I found pretty overrated and one of the least enjoyable Mario experiences I've personally ever had. Put me off playing Mario Galaxy at launch as a result.

Actually that's a thing I seem to do a lot; if I disliked a previous game, I tend to skip the next one but then enjoy the following.
Twilight Princess bored me to tears so I skipped over Skyward Sword perhaps unfairly, but gave Breath of the Wild the time of day.
Diamond and Pearl were my least enjoyable Pokemon experiences of all time and practically put me off ever stepping foot in Sinnoh again despite being told how good Platinum was comparitively. Picked up Black and White though.

Having played Chibi-Robo Ziplash I'm not sure why it gets lambasted as much as it does apart from being 'different' from prior titles. Whilst I haven't completed it yet, it seems solid enough and not enough of a disaster to kill the whole franchise over.

Kid Icarus Uprising meanwhile is beloved despite it changing practically everything from the original game. As a fan of the original(yeah I'm old enough to have played it as a very small child) I wasn't exactly a huge fan of Sakurai's massive changes either, but I don't think that should kill the series entirely. Medusa got ****ed though so Sakurai could show off his own villain.
Not a fan of that. Don't like it when Ganon does it in Zelda to Vaati, Zant, etc and I don't like it much here either.

Not really unpopular these days but; Pokemon really is feeling stale. Considering it took quite a big risk for the initial game to take off as big as it did, it's ironic now that Game Freak barely take any risks at all. Sun and Moon attempted a bit and Let's Go was an interesting take but ultimately I grew very bored of both.

Splatoon was good fun, but I made the mistake of putting it down for a few weeks...by the time I returned they'd released a whole heap of new weapons which had completely changed the meta and I was completely lost on how to counter them. I think trying to work out how the bucket functioned as a weapon ended up being the final "okay, I don't care enough to continue" and permenantly turned off.
A local splitscreen multiplayer would have really helped me pick the game up again as my friends had no interest in fighting randoms for our weekly gaming sessions.

Mario Tennis Aces has the best video game roster to date. Got all the core players of the franchise and very little 'fluff' making it superior to say Mario Kart 8 Deluxe. All it needs are Nabbit and King Boo and it's officially the best roster for any Mario sports game I've ever witnessed.

Mario Sports Mix is still the best Mario sports game ever though even if Aces and Strikers do come close.

Other gaming:

Half Life is my least favourite Valve game...although that's more because I adore TF2, Left 4 Dead and Portal more.

Demoman and Soldier in Team Fortress 2 are more brainless than Pyro. As a Pyro main it annoys me no end when Pyro has to airblast an enemies rockets and grenades to get close but Demoman and Soldier can just get easy kills without even needing to aim directly at the player.
Team Fortress 2 still is, by the way, the best damn team based shooter around IMO.

Resident Evil 5 was considerably better than it was given credit for. Wrapped up the whole plot with Wesker fine and Chris punching a boulder is no goofier than half the nonsense we've had in the series prior. Aside from slightly awkward moments with the spear chucking tribesmen and Sheva's 'native' outfit(hoo boy) I feel it deserves far more love than it gets. Wish Jill Valentine wasn't Zero Suit Samus in it though. Genuinely didn't recognise her at first!

Dark Souls I didn't really enjoy. It felt like more of a slog than anything and I don't really get a nice sense of accomplishment from getting past a particularly hard bit like I do with say...Cuphead or Crash.

I was actually excited to see Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles coming to Switch. It's genuinely my favourite of the Final Fantasy games I've played, and it's entirely down to a growing disdain I have for turn based combat. Could blame Pokemon for that, but I've struggled to get interested in any JRPG that hasn't had Paper Mario or Pikachu plastered across it. Maybe I just like four player games...?

Saints Row the Third felt like the best of the series to me. The fourth game was good fun but with access to super powers; cars and the like suddenly felt useless. Also blowing up the Earth and killing a lot of the characters introduced in the third in one go IN THE OPENING felt a bit too cheap.

I think Dead by Daylight is a brilliant crossover game...not the most balanced game. I'm not a big fan of slasher films but the sheer inclusion of Freddy, Leatherface, Micheal Myers, and soon to be Ghostface going against the likes of Ash Williams from Evil Dead and Bill Overbeck from Left 4 Dead is mind blowingly incredible. It has a strong theme throughout it of killers vs. survivors which makes it less messy than other crossover games...I wish the fanbase wasn't so toxic but I think it's technically a better themed crossover game than Smash Bros. at this point.

Klimax

Smash Ace
The video games industry got diversity wrong. Give them 5 white dudes with different characters, they say that it's not diverse. Give them a white gay guy, a straight black guy without legs and a yellow mexican trans man wearing blue socks in summer, even if they all have the same personality, they will say it's a great example of diversity. It's not, because sexuality, identity or things like this are not personality traits, even if you're the yellow mexican trans man wearing blue socks in summer, it's not what will make me say that you're cool or not.

Also, I don't care about sexual orientation in my video games, it shouldn't be used if it doesn't have anything to do with the gameplay. Want a good use of a gay character ? Let's imagine that you're playing an RPG and that there's a gay character, I don't know, he could be so handsome that enemies of the same sex would have less power when they fight him. That's actually interesting. It's not having gay characters for the sake of having gay characters. Same things applies for trans or straight. If it doesn't serve the gameplay or the story, it's not interesting (i'm talkin to you Apex Legends).

I don't even know why lgbt people like that kind of stupid representation, they just end up being marketing arguments. I don't remember Nintendo saying "hey people, look, in Paper Mario 2, a side character that can join you is actually a dude making people believe that he's a woman", no, that character was just there and that thing about him was something that you could discover if you were curious. And it's interesting because it explains some of his actions. That's interesting.

Making the character of your game a ****in badass in a space suit shooting aliens and revealing at the very end of the story that it's a hot girl is cool. Definitely different than having some cringe kickass girl ala Michelle Rodriguez shouting things "yeyy girl power" and trying too much to "do like the DUDES".

That's what we call a lack of subtlety. But if you remind the west that they still have female representation wrong while Japan got it right since the first Metroid, they end up calling you a sexist, a fascist and whatever the **** is the new word they learned on twitter.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
-Grindy "Games as a service" models are diluting the industry and I feel they are taking away from much of the magic of games and are making games feel more and more like a job. I know the obvious counter is "just don't play those games" but the problem is that I enjoy the gameplay of many of these games and may be passionate about the franchise they come from and want to unlock certain content, but the process of doing so drains my will to do anything else in the game. Crash Team Racing: Nitro Fueled is the best example right now. I love the Crash franchise and the original CTR is one of my favourite racing games ever. And while it's not perfect, Nitro Fueled is a worthy successor in most aspects. But then it has all of this live service BS tacked on that it didn't need. I'm all for post-launch support but I do not see the benefit for the devs or the publishers to lock this new content behind really grindy practices and Daily Challenge nonsense. Not to mention you can't even accumulate currency if you're not connected online (which isn't a problem personally as I play on PS4 but for Switch players who play on the go, that's a really big issue). It also presents an issue when, in a couple of years time when the servers go offline, the content that's locked behind all of the live service stuff (i.e the majority of the game's content by the time they stop adding more, according to datamining) will be inaccessible even if you did have access to the update data, because you can't earn currency without being connected online. This is just one example out of the many games plagued by this stuff, but it's everywhere and I think people are becoming too complacent to it.

-I'm more excited by the growth of the emulation community lately and the idea of playing games I already own on my PC with enhanced graphics and performance, than I am for most new releases on current gen systems.

-As someone who only buys Nintendo systems for the exclusives, I actually thought the Wii U era was a much more interesting time to be a Nintendo fan. Not every game was amazing but it felt like Nintendo was actually trying new things and a lot of very positive things like Nintendo being more open with their IPs and doing some interesting crossover stuff started with the Wii U. And I believe it only started because Nintendo knew they had to try interesting things if anyone was gonna use their Wii U's or purchase any. They were under pressure and couldn't be complacent. A lot of people **** on the system but I appreciate it more than the Switch personally as it did provide me with some very unique experiences no other system could (either literally with GamePad centric games, or more figuratively with stuff like Hyrule Warriors which I legit think would never have happened if Nintendo's success was shaky during the Wii U era). The Switch, by comparison has a lot of Wii U ports (and since I bought a lot of these on Wii U, I don't care about these), a lot of third party ports that are often the worst version of that game, and then a handful of original games. However, even the original Switch exclusive games aren't doing it for me, partly because many of them feel very by the numbers compared to other games in the same franchise or genre. Like they aren't awful but they aren't particularly amazing or anything either. I don't own a lot of Switch games but of the exclusives I own, none feel like a real reason to by the system. YouTube is becoming my most used software for it at this rate, lol.

FedoraMan

Smash Rookie
Rayman 1 will always be in my opinion the worst game in the main franchise (I'm excluding spinoff games) for it's unfair difficulty in the later stages, which for a fun fact; Ubisoft never tested the later levels (unfair levels)... why!? Now you may say that it's meant to be this way like Super Meat Boy with trial and error, but Rayman isn't even based around trial and error.
The only good things about Rayman 1 is the GODLY music that plays. Saying Rayman 1 does not have a good soundtrack would be a total joke. The graphics are pretty too, considering the fact this was on a PlayStation 1, (other versions of this game exist, same game excet Jaguar music sounds meh and GBA is um... bad. It's not that great.) Rayman 1 imo is the hardest and least favorite of mine.

ALSO HAVE FUN TRYING TO GET TO THE LAST LEVELS BECAUSE YOU HAVE TO COLLECT ALL THE ELECTOONS, MEANING YOU HAVE TO 100% THIS GAME AHAHAHA

Last edited:

Klimax

Smash Ace
Rayman 1 will always be in my opinion the worst game in the main franchise (I'm excluding spinoff games) for it's unfair difficulty in the later stages, which for a fun fact; Ubisoft never tested the later levels (unfair levels)... why!? Now you may say that it's meant to be this way like Super Meat Boy with trial and error, but Rayman isn't even based around trial and error.
The only good things about Rayman 1 is the GODLY music that plays. Saying Rayman 1 does not have a good soundtrack would be a total joke. The graphics are pretty too, considering the fact this was on a PlayStation 1, (other versions of this game exist, same game excet Jaguar music sounds meh and GBA is um... bad. It's not that great.) Rayman 1 imo is the hardest and least favorite of mine.

ALSO HAVE FUN TRYING TO GET TO THE LAST LEVELS BECAUSE YOU HAVE TO COLLECT ALL THE ELECTOONS, MEANING YOU HAVE TO 100% THIS GAME AHAHAHA
A game forcing you to complete it ? HAHAHAHA What a silly idea !

Unpopular opinion:

- Games are becoming less and less interesting. Red Dead Redemption II and Uncharted 4 are the cancer of the industry.

D

Deleted member

The more I keep hearing of Persona 5, the less I want to play it.

• Atlus still ****ting on Europeans players by still not localizing their games in other languages than English, despite their buyout by Sega.
  • The game's overall presentation. It's artistic I guess, but vain and way too over-the-top for my tastes.
  • And the main protagonist. From what I saw of Joker, he seems to be a very arrogant and selfish character.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
And the main protagonist. From what I saw of Joker, he seems to be a very arrogant and selfish character.
That's just Joker's aesthetic.
In reality, he's little more than any other avatar character who doesn't have much more personality beyond "Nice person" like most any other Atlus avatars.

Hockeyfan44

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Shockwv478
I know I'm going to be sent into the hellfire for this, but I don't mind microtransactions, mostly. The reason why is I seriously dislike hours upon hours upon hours of monotonous grinding for gold or points to acquire new items, or spirits in the case of Smash Ultimate. I'm serious. I'd rather pay 10-15 bucks to acquire some decent items in game rather than lose my sanity. But I know you won't agree, but gamers find nothing wrong with Tecmo/Team Ninja charging 100 bucks for sexy costumes in Dead or Alive but get butthurt over paying 10-15 bucks for in-game currency in various games. This coming from the same people who will gladly spend 300 bucks on a set of earphones that probably won't last a year, and spend 1500 bucks on smartphones that become outdated after two months when the next model is released, and so on and so on. I love gamer logic.

Wigglerman

Smash Ace
Pokemon X & Y are the best Pokemon games.

The story may have been lackluster, but I don't usually play Pokemon for it's story. I play it for the all of the unique Pokemon to capture, and the fun region to explore. And man, does X & Y excel in both Region and Pokemon design? It may be due to my love of European flair, but man, Kalos, is such a fun and beautiful region to explore. it's just a blast... The new Pokemon are amazing. Pokemon like Greninja, Meowstic, Gogoat, Tyrantrum, Slyveon, Xerneas, Noivern, and Zygarde are some of the best Pokemon designs in the entire franchise. And then, the music, oh man... Easily, one the best soundtracks in the entire series. Tracks like Lumiose City, Battle! Trainer, and Battle! Gym Leader manage to keep popping in my head, during my everyday life and are just very memorable.

I don't know, it's just that out of all the Pokemon games I've played, they're the ones I've enjoyed the most...

Though honorable mentions to my first games, Pokemon Black and White
I tend to agree but it's still a toss up for me. X/Y were fantastic games and really got me feeling vibes I hadn't felt since RBY and GSC. Felt like a return to form but with new splendor. I lost that emotion immedietly with Hoenn remakes and Sun/Moon.

However I still feel it's a tie between X/Y and Heart Gold/Soul Silver as the 'best' of the series. Second gen offered SO much content and the remakes just expounded upon that even more. I feel it's too close to make a call so they both win, IMO. Fantastic, landmark titles.

LAA9000

Smash Journeyman
Slippi.gg
JUST#956
3DS FC
0361-9069-2936
Switch FC
SW-5393-4946-0209
Time to revive this thread with a heck ton of objectively wrong unpopular opinions:

Smash Bros.:
  • I liked World of Light's concept, being basically Event Matches but with some RPG-esque mechanics. People comparing it to The Subspace Emissary and calling it inferior as a result are unfairly judging it since it was deliberately made to be different from SSE.
  • As someone who has never played Melee, L-cancelling sounds like it doesn't add significant skill and doesn't make the gameplay more interesting (how much more impressed are spectators that players are pressing L after every aerial?) and I'm glad it was removed. Ultimate's universally reduced landing lag is just better.
  • I could go on a long rant about how tier lists are all super flawed, but I'll shorten it: they tell people nothing about a character, there's too much to focus on when making one and so they always focus too much on one area, and most top players' tier lists are based entirely on their personal views (which are often biased, only focus on a few characters or are straight-up inaccurate), what other top players say (same problems as the former) or who top players are playing (even though they mostly only pick high or top tiers, when they're only there because they play them, causing a feedback loop which turns into a black hole and consumes the universe as I am typing this please help I mean it). Also I think people should take joke tier lists more seriously when making them and not just place characters based on 'I like this right now'.
  • Nintendo don't technically 'owe' the competitive scene anything as it was all started and maintained by the community, and it really isn't an effective marketing strategy as the vast majority of spectators already own the game.
General Nintendo:
  • Zelda's storytelling is very shallow and has room to be expanded upon. Essentially most Zelda plots are just 'get some MacGuffins so you can (depending on the game) fight the big bad that has existed for hundreds of years solely to be the big bad, or get the legendary sword to defeat the aforementioned big bad only to have to collect more MacGuffins so then you can fight the big bad'. Admittedly I haven't played most of the games (having only beaten ALttP, OoT, ALBW and BotW), but a villain with actual motives would be nice for once.
  • Really, that goes for all Nintendo series. They still don't seem to understand that story does not at all take away from gameplay and instead further immerses the player in the world. Some, like Mario, make sense, but it still feels like story in some of their other games is being artificially limited. Interestingly, one of my favourite pieces of story in a Nintendo game is actually the Able Sisters' backstory in the Animal Crossing series; it proves Nintendo can do this kind of thing.
  • I haven't played it, but from what I've seen of it Xenoblade Chronicles 2 just looks like a cringy anime game that I'd be embarrased to play even in my own house when my parents aren't in the room, especially compared to the first game (which I also haven't played but will likely buy the Definitive Edition once it launches). I just can't help but feel like it delves too far into Fire Emblem Awakening/Fates territory and really tries to use waifus to attract horny weebs to the game just so it sells well (I still have trouble realising why Pyra even exists once Mythra is revealed, but that's probably because I've only seen the first few hours of gameplay on YouTube). Plus, I think the voice acting is awful in both English and Japanese and the lips don't seem to sync to either (please don't start a sub vs. dub war, I beg you).
  • I'm not a fan of Nintendo's lyrical main themes as of recent because they have no reason to exist. Both Lost in Thoughts All Alone and The Edge of Dawn become incredibly annoying quickly (THE OCEAN IS BLUE DAMMIT), Jump Up, Super Star! is probably the best but feels super out-of-place in a Mario game and overshadows some other great songs in Odyssey, Lifelight is also annoying and the lyrics are absolute nonsense, and I'm aware there are other lyrical tracks but they're not main themes or I don't know enough about them. Worst of all was when they gave the Ballad of the Wind Fish lyrics, which absolutely ruined the song for me, then it was only for a 30-second advert and wasn't in the game, but I still couldn't get it out of my head. Lyrical tracks can be amazing if done right and not made to be cheesy (see the Persona 5 OST and admittedly even Jump Up, Super Star!), so they should be done right.
General Gaming:
  • I bought the Portal duology because everyone says it's amazing, and 90 minutes into the first game I just can't play it because it gives me motion sickness after 5-10 minutes. It doesn't help that the FoV is hidden in 'advanced graphics settings' and maxes out at just 90 since I'm used to playing Minecraft at 100.
  • Speaking of Minecraft, single player, especially Survival, is very boring. I still haven't bothered to seriously venture the Nether because I know most of my time will be spent wandering around searching for a Nether fortress, almost dying trying to get there, exploring it and realising I'm lost and will need to spend tons of hours trying to find my way back (I'm a massive noob, I know). For this reason I prefer playing on servers (even if I can't install Optifine 1.8.9 for some reason despite really wanting to).
That's it for now, thanks for coming to my TED Talk.

Rizen

Smash Legend
Nintendo fans will buy anything the big N throws at them. Link's Awakening has no right being full price and Pokémon SnS look unfinished, like PS2 games. All this also applies to pKMN Let's Go Pika/Eevee.

Top Bottom