• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What Are Your Unpopular Gaming Opinions? (Ver. 2)

Don'tNessWithMe

Smash Rookie
With how much people sing Mother 3's praises I really doubt that this is the unpopular opinion in the Mother community.
I found Earthbound Beginnings (Mother 1) to be the most enjoyable in my personal opinion. But, then again M3 was spectacular and with E3 coming up an official global release wouldn't hurt.

Last edited:

Moydow

The fairest of them all
BRoomer
Of the Final Fantasy games I've played (2, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8), 7 is my least favourite by a significant margin. I thought most of the characters were uninteresting, the story was overly convoluted and had way more going on than it needed to, the gameplay, while not particularly bad, felt a bit lacking in depth, since the characters all play pretty similarly and most of the interesting materia doesn't show up until near the end of the game, and the game was too easy for my liking. I think overall it's not a bad game, and I can see some of the reasons why it proved so popular, but it just doesn't have much to appeal to me.

I think it's kind of a similar situation to Fire Emblem: Awakening. They're both games that massively increased the popularity of their respective series and brought in a lot of new players, and in isolation are not bad games at all, but compared to other games in their series, I don't think they hold up so well.

finalark

SNORLAX
Of the Final Fantasy games I've played (2, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8), 7 is my least favourite by a significant margin. I thought most of the characters were uninteresting, the story was overly convoluted and had way more going on than it needed to,
I think FFVII's story has aged poorly due to circumstances beyond the game's control. Its tropes and character archetypes that were engaging, creative and original in 1997 have been so thoroughly copied and improved by so many other games over the past two decades that the original seems quaint by comparison.

Androobie

Banned via Warnings
People needs to stop defending Nintendo like they are our friend. They are a company, if I don't like a decision they make, they don't get my money. I won’t be buying DKTF until it's at least the retail price that it launched on the Wii U, for example.

finalark

SNORLAX
People needs to stop defending Nintendo like they are our friend. They are a company, if I don't like a decision they make, they don't get my money. I won’t be buying DKTF until it's at least the retail price that it launched on the Wii U, for example.
Which is why my Switch has turned into a dust collector. I refuse to pay full price for games for games I played four or five years ago on the Wii U, and that's not even going into the fact that some ports from the PS360 era are still being sold for $60.

Gallowglass

Smash Lord
I really can't stand how they've changed Link to being right handed in recent games. I refuse to play Breath Of The Wild because of it.

Last edited:

DYED

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW 8460 7625 6123
Twilight Princess is objectively the best Zelda.
Best soundtrack, best atmosphere, best characterization, best villains, best aid (Midna best waifu).

It reached a peak in storytelling in the Zelda series that Skyward Sword and Breath of the Wild just weren't able to keep up.

Of course, that's just my opinion. ~

Gallowglass

Smash Lord
Is this problem really THAT big to be a deal breaker.
For me yes. Growing up as the only lefty in the family made me different. Growing up Link was the only left handed character I knew and I wasn't even certain until Ocarina of Time. Usually when you lefty character they make them evil like Sephiroth because not too long ago (like up until the early 80's) being left handed was consider evil. Just look at what the Latin world for left and you'll see. In certain places in the world it still is consider evil or dirty. So having a childhood hero loose that one trait you kind of admire really does bother me.

But in BOTW its not something I can gloss over. The entire time you play that game and Link has a weapon its there front and center of your screen. Its not like Tingle you only have to endure for a few minutes but Its the entire game (no offense to Tingle fans). Not to mention the whole BS with Skyward Sword.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
I honestly don't see the problem in letting people feel okay playing what they want.
For smash, why should people care if people are playing Melee or Sm4sh? Why talk down to someone because you think their game is garbage no matter what franchise?

I'd say this isn't a very unpopular opinion but it seems most of my friends like to talk trash at each other about their game choices (smash or otherwise). It's kinda stupid, just let people be, I think.

Though it just might be that everyone on the internet wants to establish superiority over everyone else

Lass567

Smash Rookie
NNID
Noaaaaaaaaaahhhh
If we're expressing unpopular opinions, I think both Breath of the Wild and Mario Odyssey were boring, and neither should've been nominated for Game of the Year.

finalark

SNORLAX
For me yes. Growing up as the only lefty in the family made me different. Growing up Link was the only left handed character I knew and I wasn't even certain until Ocarina of Time. Usually when you lefty character they make them evil like Sephiroth because not too long ago (like up until the early 80's) being left handed was consider evil. Just look at what the Latin world for left and you'll see. In certain places in the world it still is consider evil or dirty. So having a childhood hero loose that one trait you kind of admire really does bother me.

But in BOTW its not something I can gloss over. The entire time you play that game and Link has a weapon its there front and center of your screen. Its not like Tingle you only have to endure for a few minutes but Its the entire game (no offense to Tingle fans). Not to mention the whole BS with Skyward Sword.
As a fellow lefty, I certainly feel this sentiment.

But man, you are really, realllllyyyy missing out on a pretty ****ing fantastic game.

Gallowglass

Smash Lord
As a fellow lefty, I certainly feel this sentiment.

But man, you are really, realllllyyyy missing out on a pretty ****ing fantastic game.
Yeah I'm pretty sure you're right but I'll manage. Maybe if I find a left handed mod I'll get it but I've got too many games already I need to work on.

Redblaster149

Smash Rookie
NNID
Redblaster149
3DS FC
2552-4651-5254
My unpopular opinion is that Bayonetta is more of a slight challenge than broken.

Glitch_Wiz

Smash Cadet
My unpopular opinion: Mario and Luigi Partners in Time is the second-best Mario & Luigi game in the series. The music, theme, and alternatives for bros. attacks are great.

Gallowglass

Smash Lord
This is sort of gaming related. I actually liked Game Theory's video on Sans is Ness episode. I thought it was really clever. His For Honor video on the other hand...

Vanguard227

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Vanguard227
Switch FC
SW 4222 8780 9424
Here are some of my unpopular opinions. This should be fun. XD

- A Link to the Past is incredibly overrated. I can appreciate that it pioneered Zelda's tried and true pre-BoTW formula, but I feel that the 3D Zeldas are way more fun to play through.
- Super Mario Bros. 3 is better than Super Mario World.
- The only truly bad Sonic games are Sonic 06 and Sonic Boom: Rise of Lyric. The rest range from mediocre to fantastic.
- I can't stand Battle Royale shooters
- I used to like Call of Duty more than Battlefield. (But I stopped playing CoD after Black Ops 2)
- Halo 3 was the pinnacle of the online FPS experience.
- Paper Mario 64 is better than The Thousand-Year Door. (TTYD is still a great game though.)
- Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn is the best Fire Emblem game.
- Metal Gear Solid 2,3 and 4 are better than 1.

Androobie

Banned via Warnings
I never got the obsession with the Portal companion cube. It's a box with a heart on it. They tell us to love it, that just achieves the opposite and makes me suspicious of it, certainly not attached to it in any slight way during gameplay. People build life sized replicas of the thing like it's some cherished memory.

CardiganBoy

Smash Lord
Some Zelda related stuff i wanted to get out of my chest for a while now:

-Of the 3DS/WiiU/Switch era Zelda games Tri Force Heroes has the best OST by a wide margin, i even dare to say since Wind Waker.

-Breath of Wild ending sucked.

-The more time passes the more i start to hate on ALBW, aside from the dungeons and the painting mechanic which were pretty good, it plays it WAY to safe with nostalgia, the only new liakable character was Hilda, Ravio is awful overall, i hate how he takes your house and thanks you by selling key items. And i absolutely hate how they just reused the Light World map from ALttP.

-Koji Kondo is a great composer but he’s overrated, and i wish they would get Ryo Nagamatsu to compose for more Zelda games.

Last edited:

Dixie Kong

Smash Ace
Here are some of mine:
Donkey Kong 64 is the best N64 game. (along with the Banjo games of course)
Advanced Warfare is the best COD game since MW3.
Banjo Grunty's Revenge and Banjo Pilot are classics.
Dead Space 3 is a great game.

Last edited:

finalark

SNORLAX
- Metal Gear Solid 2,3 and 4 are better than 1.
I'm pretty sure most of the fandom thinks that MGS3 is the best game in the series.

- The only truly bad Sonic games are Sonic 06 and Sonic Boom: Rise of Lyric. The rest range from mediocre to fantastic.
TBH I think that people really, really overblow how bad Sonic games are. I think a lot of people are critical of Sonic games where they are forgive of others because Sonic is "supposed to be" bad.

Clammo

Smash Rookie
Pokemon is by far one of my least favorite nintendo IP's. I like RPG's and stuff but idk why, pokemon seems so boring and so linear i cant be the only person that thinks this right?

Also I think loz alttp isnt that great. it doesnt wow me like every other loz game. maybe its because i played loz albw first?

Vanguard227

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Vanguard227
Switch FC
SW 4222 8780 9424
I'm pretty sure most of the fandom thinks that MGS3 is the best game in the series.
I know. (heck, it's my favourite game in the series. :p )
I just felt like adding it in for completion's sake. The unpopular opinion part was more towards 2 and 4.
I do like 1 more than 5 though. 5 has the best gameplay in the series IMO, but its story and characters are no where near up to snuff with the rest of the numbered Metal Gear Solids. (And those are the things I love most about the series.)

Last edited:

Screams in B-Minor

Smash Rookie
  • I love Sonic Adventure. Sure it's glitchy, full of odd animations, tells a fairly laughable story and really just poorly designed in general, but something about it, when it all comes together, makes it a great experience for me.
  • I can say basically the same thing about Final Fantasy 2, Zelda 2, Castlevania 64 and Resident Evil 6.
  • MODOK was the best thing to happen to Marvel vs Capcom 3. Fight me! Don't fight me I'm a coward.
  • Earthbound is a very charming game, but a mediocre RPG.

OhMyBanana54

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-1628-5145-3801
Bowser has become the most boring Nintendo villain. The most compelling Mario RPGs are the ones where you work together with him reluctantly and are fighting against someone else.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
-Pokémon Diamond/Pearl/Platinum have in recent times had their reputation soar, likely as a result of people growing up having grown up themselves now, but imo they are not only bad Pokémon games, but they border on being straight up bad RPGs. The gameplay is unbelievably slow (even in Platinum), and combined with Sinnoh having so many routes that are way too long and with way too many trainers it turns into a huge drag. There aren't any memorable locations bar Snowpeak either, and the amount of HMs that the game forces you to use is absurd and makes it hard to avoid carrying around a HM slave at all times. The story is also completely ridiculous and is not helped by the awful pacing, you go from stopping standard goons to having to save the entire universe so suddenly, and there's very little justification as to why Cyrus is like he is. The only good things about the games are ones that are shared between all Pokémon games + the special/physical split, they bring absolutely nothing to the table beyond that, and I know that when the eventual remakes come out I won't buy them, because you can't fix something that's broken at its very core.

-And since I'm talking about Pokémon, I feel like it's the Nintendo series that most needs a complete revamp to its fundamentals as it has grown incredibly stale. I've been playing the games from the start which might be why I'm burnt out on the formular, but the past two generations just haven't tried to innovative enough, S/M tried a few new things but largely ended up with the same result, while X/Y didn't even try at all and just went through the motions. New battle mechanics like Z-Moves and Mega Evolutions just aren't enough anymore, it needs a BotW style revamp that trims the fat and completely redials its focus, and asap.

-The Gamecube honestly wasn't all that great, it had a few amazing games like Melee, Metroid Prime and Wind Waker, but pretty much everything else ranged from good at best to awful at worst. I thought that the Wii was significantly better in the end, and I didn't even like motion controls.

-I'm very happy Retro Studios aren't in charge of Metroid Prime 4 as I thought they began to lose touch with what the series is all about with Prime 3. They caught lightning in a bottle with the first game, and Prime 2 was pretty good aswell, but the decrease in quality with each installment was very worrying, and they were incredibly close to just straight up dropping the ball with Prime 3. I'm super excited to see what Namco's take on it is like.

-Not sure how many on this forum play or have played WoW, but Wrath of the Lich King was a bad expansion, and its negative long term effects on the game are still felt to this day. I honestly think it set Cataclysm up to fail, and a lot of the issues with MoP and WoD can also be tracked back to it.

Calane

Smash Ace
- I'm not very fond of the direction Zelda took with BotW. I don't really like "open world" games in general and would prefer that the series goes back to the ALttP/OoT style. I kind of feel like BotW is a Zelda game for people that don't like Zelda games. It's sort of hard to explain.

- I feel like the "Mario & Luigi" series should have been about the Ice Climbers instead. It's a huge, huge missed opportunity to me. I mean, it's a series about two people who're always team-working, wielding hammers, and jumping around. It could have easily been turned into a re-imagining of the Ice Climbers in a new genre. They would probably have had to redesign the duo and not have them wearing parkas all the time, but I think it would have been worth it for what it would have done for them as characters. "Popo & Nana: Superstar Saga" would have been the start of something amazing. It would have also made Fawful, Cackletta, and the entire Beanbean Kingdom much more important. It's just an idea, but I think it would have been great.

Last edited:

MrPowerfulJeans

Smash Cadet
- I actually enjoyed Super Mario 64 DS. I know it has bad controls because the DS lacks any analog movement and you're stuck with the D-Pad to move, and I definitely don't claim it's better than the N64 Version, but I've never found an issue with the controls on the 3DS other than trying to perform some of the more precise movements that Mario 64 has. It looks surprisingly good, considering it's on a DS, and I really like some of the additions they added, like making Luigi, Yoshi, and Wario playable, adding more levels, and the minigames. THE MINIGAMES! If you have this game and haven't pumped 100+ hours into the card games, then you sir, are a LIAR!

- I think the Pokemon Ranger Series deserves more love. It was the first Pokemon games on the DS (preceding Diamond and Pearl) and it actually did something unique with the DS Touch Screen by making you circle your stylus around the Pokemon. For its time, I think it was the first game to have the touch screen a necessary mechanic that didn't disappoint me. And, personally, I'd love to see a sequel (probably on the 3DS, cause Pokemon Ranger is more built with the stylus in mind).

- When Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Gates to Infinity gets it right, it is GOOD! Like, that ending was one of the few moments where I've cried because of a video game. It was touching.

Rizen

Smash Legend
Pokemon is by far one of my least favorite nintendo IP's. I like RPG's and stuff but idk why, pokemon seems so boring and so linear i cant be the only person that thinks this right?

Also I think loz alttp isnt that great. it doesnt wow me like every other loz game. maybe its because i played loz albw first?
I never got into pokemon. The only pkmn game I've beaten is Snap for the N64. They seem very shallow and childish, imo.

What's weird is I enjoy watching 2vs2 format competitive pokemon.

D

Deleted member

I actually agree with you about Pokemon. I love RPG's but for some reason I can't get into Pokemon. I thought I was the only person to think this so it's refreshing that someone else shares the same opinion~

Last edited by a moderator:

finalark

SNORLAX
I never got into pokemon. The only pkmn game I've beaten is Snap for the N64. They seem very shallow and childish, imo.

What's weird is I enjoy watching 2vs2 format competitive pokemon.
Childish? Certainly. Pokemon's target audience is 6-12 year olds and 20-30something year olds who remember being 6-12 years old in the late 90s.

Shallow? No way. If you've ever had a competitive Pokemon phase you know how deep that rabbit hole goes.

IMO Pokemon's biggest draw now for adults is probably its competitive scene. Because as single player JPRGs they are pretty underwhelming. The series found its formula with the first game and has been extremely hesitant to break away from it to the point where any "attempt" to do so is just a reskinning on old concepts. It's so bad that Pokemon 7 legit has you go to another dimension to fight the main antagonist who turns into a squid monster. In any other JRPG this would be the pinnacle of the story and the final boss, but Pokemon is so deeply attached to its roots that this is just a resolution to a subplot. The real climax is you going and fighting the elite four, because tradition.

UpgradeX

Smash Cadet
EA doesnt deserve all the crap people give them because other companies do just as bad and nothing bad happens.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Let's see...
  • Unleashed and Adventure were great Sonic games
  • Brawl was better than Melee in almost every way
  • Twilight Princess has a good art direction
  • I like Earthbound more than Mother 3
  • Classic Donkey Kong games wasn't that good, I prefer Tropical Freeze

Top Bottom