• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What Are Your Unpopular Gaming Opinions? (Ver. 2)

KingBooGengar57

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-6126-0782-8125
Y’all are gonna hate me for this, but….
I think Pokémon is inferior to Final Fantasy.
I find that Pokémon was less revolutionary to the video game industry than FFVII was, and there isn’t much plot in a Pokemon game, something RPGs, in my opinion, NEED to have. The villains are also pretty lacklustre, but I’ve played plenty of FFV and FFVII, so I may just be a little biased on this one.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I find that Pokémon was less revolutionary to the video game industry than FFVII was, and there isn’t much plot in a Pokemon game, something RPGs, in my opinion, NEED to have. The villains are also pretty lacklustre, but I’ve played plenty of FFV and FFVII, so I may just be a little biased on this one.
i certainly agree that team rocket didnt have much in the way of evil plots. especially compared to everyone who came after

Pokelego999

Smash Hero
Waiting for Latias and Latios to get a theme
Switch FC
SW-0935-8215-2605
Depends on your game. Unova and Alola for instance, are very plot driven, while Kanto and Johto have little to no concrete plot.

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
It's gonna sound like I'm trolling with all of these, but here goes
  1. "Dolled-up instalments" (Mean Bean Machine, Mario 2) were rad AF and need to be standard industry practice again
  2. Nickelodeon All-Star Brawl is such a superior game to Ultimate it's actually kinda funny
  3. In general the state of Smash today is really depressing, almost to the same degree as Sonic
  4. Corridor/linear 3D platformers (like Crash) are the best type of platformer.
  5. There is no reason to make a crossover if you aren't going to include weird, obscure characters.
  6. Score attack games need to make a comeback
  7. While maybe not enough to triumph the gameplay disadvantages, 30FPS looks way better than 60 and a 30 option should be provided for all rereleases and remasters that have frame rate boosts
  8. Hype and graphics are temporary, good game design and stories are eternal
  9. We should be making new open-world IPs, not forcing linear franchises to be open-world
  10. Super Monkey Ball is the best 3D Sonic game. Sonic Colours is the best 3D game with Sonic in it
  11. A Mother 3 localisation would be a godawful idea
  12. Hiding the meat of a game after the credits is horrible game design.
  13. Crash Bandicoot 4 was way too easy compared to what people were building it up as.
  14. 8-directional movement is preferable for 3D platformers
  15. The camera in Doom '93 is kinda nauseating
  16. Pixel and low-poly games should replicate the graphical quirks of their inspirations like texture warping and sprite flickering.
  17. Additionally, the standard for pixel and low-poly games should be a 4:3 aspect ratio
  18. The Super FX (StarWing) look is underrated and I'd love to see newer games take inspiration from it.
  19. Permanent moveset upgrades are more annoying than fun.
  20. Boss fights are usually a drag in platformers.

Unpopular Opinions about Gaming:
  • FNF is totally overrated, it needs to be stopped or else it would become another Minecraft-like game.
  • Playstation Allstars Battle Royale had better online, fanbase and competitive than Smash bros.
  • NASB feels more likely as Smash Rip-off rather than a Smash Clone
  • Smash should go back to it's "Nintendo Allstars" roots than being a "Boring celebration of Gaming"
  • Melee is too Overrated, it needs to take a break or something despite being outdated game.
  • Obscure Game Characters should not be allowed in Smash
  • EA is not really bad, it was poor back in 90's and that's why EA demands money today to catch up their budget.
  • Indie games are inferior comparing to AAA games.
  • Nintendo starts to downfall in 2019 because of being Rich cashgrab company.
  • Sony is actually better than Nintendo and Microsoft mixed together.
  • Reggie should not leave Nintendo.
  • Gacha games are dumb and addictive.
  • Balan Wonderworld should win Game of the Year award.
  • Modern Gaming sucks, 1980's-2000's gaming was better.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Unpopular Opinions about Gaming:
  • FNF is totally overrated, it needs to be stopped or else it would become another Minecraft-like game.
  • Playstation Allstars Battle Royale has better online, fanbase and competitive than Smash bros.
  • NASB feels more likely as Smash Rip-off rather than a Smash Clone
  • Smash should go back to it's "Nintendo Allstars" roots than being a "Boring celebration of Gaming"
  • Melee is too Overrated, it needs to take a break or something despite being outdated game.
  • Obscure Game Characters should not be allowed in Smash
  • EA is not really bad, it was poor back in 90's and that's why EA demands money today to catch up their budget.
  • Indie games are inferior comparing to AAA games.
  • Nintendo starts to downfall in 2019 because of being Rich cashgrab company.
  • Sony is actually better than Nintendo and Microsoft mixed.
  • Reggie should not leave Nintendo.
  • Gacha games are dumb and addictive.
  • Balan Wonderworld should win Game of the Year award.
  • Modern Gaming sucks, 1980's-2000's gaming was better.
"Playstation Allstars Battle Royale has better online, fanbase and competitive than Smash bros"
The game's online does literally not exist anymore.

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
"Playstation Allstars Battle Royale has better online, fanbase and competitive than Smash bros"
The game's online does literally not exist anymore.
To be fair, PSASBR did supposedly have rollback - I never played it online back in the day though, so I couldn't say.

Also, competitively? Nah, even Smash at its worst functions better competitively than PSASBR, which is EXTREMELY easy to cheese on even a casual level.

I mean, it was better than Smash games.
Virgin Super Smash Bros vs Playstation Allstars Battle Royale.
(It was unpopular opinion)
You're not supposed to say controversial opinions here for the sake of controversial opinions, you're supposed to post controversial opinions you actually believe.

CheeseAnton

Smash Ace
I don't know if this is unpopular but here goes.

The major problem with Zelda representation in Smash isn't there being 3 Links, it's that they all play too similar. I'd even say having 5 of them would be fine since a major thing of the Zelda series is there being multiple incarnates of Link and a specific version could have unique attributes of the game (like BOTW Link being able to use the Sheikah Slate to fling boxes at high speeds for example, or Young Link using multiple masks to basically be a Pokemon Trainer like character, or Twilight Princess Link being able to use advanced sword play [I think it's canon he's one of the best swordsman in the entire series, he was even trained by another Link]). If the Links had completely different specials and moves it'd be fine, but as is the series is stuck with 3 clones and the unique characters aren't really interesting.

Last edited:

Linkmain-maybe

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-1042-6735-2236
I think that just because Ultimate is technically balanced, it isn’t necessarily fun. Everything is safe (including smash attacks), many moves are either trash like Ganon up-tilt or amazing like ROB downtilt. Not to mention that many characters have unfair reward for how easy they are. Yink and Yoshi are prime examples of “I press 1 button the entire time and win.”

Linkmain-maybe

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-1042-6735-2236
Should’ve mentioned this earlier, but it’s bothering me. Optimal camping can be fun ir entertaining if it actaully requires thinking. An example would be Robin, Hero(my own bias), and most swordies. Projectile characters and Sonic can camp better but fighting it or playing it is soul sucking.

Rizen

Smash Legend
FN@Freddy's Security breach is just another indication the series is spiraling the drain. I appreciate that they tried to break out of the rut the series had fallen so woefully into, I really do, but the implementation was poorly done. It's never really scary as the 'monsters' chasing you mostly seem none threatening and have no real reason to chase you other than to return you to your parents. The environment is large and lacks scary atmosphere for the most part and you do a ton of just wandering around, fetching items for no point other than to pad the game. It all blends into an unfocused malaise of bordom.

Yashichi

Smash Journeyman
You jest, but I actually thought that as a kid - I think Pokémon was the game that changed that perception
no jests here. if i can't mindlessly do something when going from point A to point B then it's going to be a boring line that i take

Another Unpopular Opinion portions:
  • Third Parties don't deserve to be in Smash.
  • SEGA should really snap out and make another console to get on it's tracks again.
  • Multiversus probably will kill Smash due to Warner Bros making more money than Nintendo.
  • SEGA shouldn't milk Sonic so much and focus on dead IPs like Fantasy Zone.
  • Every game Fanbase sucks.
  • Nintendo should be aware of putting non-Nintendo characters in Nintendo games.
  • Microsoft buying Activision Blizzard made them worse to make money.
  • Duck Hunt Dog is not a bad character.
  • Indie games are totally ******* overrated.

Linkmain-maybe

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-1042-6735-2236
99% of Smash commentators only hurt the set. I hate watching a set and the commentators are screaming like they just had their ribcage opened and organs ripped out because Mario hit upair x6 to up b on Yoshis story. Like, I feel as if commentators get hype over the smallest things. MKLeo hits the same thing for the 83074 set in a set yet people get hype every time. Random combo characters get basic B&B’s and suddenly the video is just a cacophony of screaming and yelling.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Listen, I know you're an Adult and you understand, but do you need to interfere with my opinions?

Anyway, Warner Bros is multidollar company that makes more money than Nintendo itself.
well if it was just an opinion what you’re saying is: I’m gonna like multiversus more cause it’s owned by a richer company

unless you’re saying you think WB are going to bribe people into liking it more or are going to hire hitmen and literally kill smash.

KneeOfJustice99

Smash Champion
the building from smash mouth's astro lounge
One of my own unpopular opinions, though this applies to media as a whole to be honest, is that I kind of miss when crossovers weren't such a big deal all the time. Something like Sonic Pinball Party having NiGHTS levels, or the crossover episodes between Ben 10 and Generator REX were really cool to see devoid of endless amounts of hype, and it's for this reason I find that the idea of most, if not all, Namco arcade games existing in the same canon as pretty fun, simply because you don't have to have m y s t e r i o u s p o r t a l s or something, casual crossovers can just... happen.

I feel like it's kind of a trapping especially since the MCU started picking up steam with the Avengers movie, because like... what if you just wanna see characters interact without some sort of multiversal stakes?

Top Bottom