• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What Are Your Unpopular Gaming Opinions? (Ver. 2)

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
The "scrimblo bimbo" archetype of characters is (almost all the time) very boring. (That doesnt mean is bad)
I don't agree with this necessarily, but I do think a lot of people who joke about "blue haired anime swordsmen" do tend to overlook that platformers are a genre with their own visual homogeny issues - perhaps a little less noticeable due to the inherently exaggerated nature of scrimblo bimblos, but no amount of swearing or sci-fi guns make the "orange/yellow furry in a grass field" tropes any less repetitive.

Last edited:

Quillion

Smash Hero
I'll probably make my own thread for this later, but I just want to say this right now:

Open world games AND linear games alike (and everything in between) should move away from conventional movie/TV/book-style storytelling.

There's a reason why people say that Red Dead Redemption 2's well-crafted linear story and well-crafted open world do not mix well, while people say the Half-Life franchise (including Portal) tells its stories in such a way that gels so well with its gameplay that its linearity is almost completely unnoticeable. There's a lot of room for every game on the linearity/exploration spectrum to move away from conventional storytelling.

Infinity Sorcerer

Smash Champion
I don't agree with this necessarily, but I do think a lot of people who joke about "blue haired anime swordsmen" do tend to overlook that platformers are a genre with their own visual homogeny issues - perhaps a little less noticeable due to the inherently exaggerated nature of scrimblo bimblos, but no amount of swearing or sci-fi guns make the "orange/yellow furry in a grass field" tropes any less repetitive.
Maybe I would tried to aclarate more, my opinion goes specifically for those characters in Smash. I dont have a general opinion of them because I dont know too much about them, but its true that they have some patterns.

I'll probably make my own thread for this later, but I just want to say this right now:

Open world games AND linear games alike (and everything in between) should move away from conventional movie/TV/book-style storytelling.

There's a reason why people say that Red Dead Redemption 2's well-crafted linear story and well-crafted open world do not mix well, while people say the Half-Life franchise (including Portal) tells its stories in such a way that gels so well with its gameplay that its linearity is almost completely unnoticeable. There's a lot of room for every game on the linearity/exploration spectrum to move away from conventional storytelling.
In relation this, I think its a mix, I agree that when the game makes uses of the unique characteristics of their medium is great, not all stories works for that. It depends a lot of the genre of the story and the particular public that the games goes directed.

Quillion

Smash Hero
In relation this, I think its a mix, I agree that when the game makes uses of the unique characteristics of their medium is great, not all stories works for that. It depends a lot of the genre of the story and the particular public that the games goes directed.
Yeah, my point is that doing conventional storytelling in video games is like doing stage acting in movies.

Sure, the earliest film actors needed their stage acting skills to provide a starting point for their film careers, but eventually film actors realized that they can do things differently from on stage in order to use the unique advantages of the film medium.

Likewise, the earliest video game writers (to this day really) needed conventional storytelling from books/TV/films to start their art form, but I think we're approaching a turning point where people realize that video game storytelling has unique strengths that conventional storytelling fails to use (and vice versa).

Last edited:

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
People throw out the idea of characters being duo fighters in platform fighters way too often when they should probably be separate. If they never fight together in canon and have different abilities they probably shouldn't be together. This applies even to characters who don't originate in videogames.
This is exactly why I couldn't stand the idea of Byleth being a Pokémon Trainer wannabe with the House Leaders (although that's more of a trio thing but my idea still stands).

Infinity Sorcerer

Smash Champion
This is exactly why I couldn't stand the idea of Byleth being a Pokémon Trainer wannabe with the House Leaders (although that's more of a trio thing but my idea still stands).
That sounds very stupid, the actual version that just borrows their weapons is far better. In any case maybe they could appear in a taunt or something.

Quillion

Smash Hero
The Sonic series should never have given Tails, Knuckles, Rouge, etc. their flying, gliding, and climbing abilities in the first place. Because of it, even Sonic 3 & Knuckles had to struggle with trying to balance "speedy" Sonic while providing exploration opportunities for the other characters, causing it to have slower-paced level design than Sonic 2. And the 3D games were forced to give the non-Sonic/Shadow characters those unfocused and overly divergent gameplay styles during the Adventure era, and modern Sonic games can't even incorporate Tails, Knuckles, etc. at all because the stages in those games are overly designed for Sonic's abilities and not for flying, gliding, and climbing.

But it's not too late to break that tradition. Tails and Knuckles' gameplay can still focus on other things like Tails's gadgets or Knuckles's strength. Or at least take the Kirby Forgotten Land approach and give them severely nerfed flight and gliding.

Quillion

Smash Hero
Liking linearity in video games is nothing but pure hipsterism.

There's nothing wrong with liking linear games, but even the best linear games shine because of their interactive, non-linear elements.

Scratch this post.

Last edited:

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
Liking linearity in video games is nothing but pure hipsterism.

There's nothing wrong with liking linear games, but even the best linear games shine because of their interactive, non-linear elements.
I disagree. I'm a huge fan of Crash Bandicoot (a series famous for being linear to a near parodic extent) and I feel one of the biggest flaws of the original trilogy is that it tries to incorporate collectathon genre elements like the vehicle levels; selectable stage order; and crystals with no regards to whether it fits its own unique gameplay style. Crash 4 removed most of the Banjo/Spyro-adjacent elements and was better off for it.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I disagree. I'm a huge fan of Crash Bandicoot (a series famous for being linear to a near parodic extent) and I feel one of the biggest flaws of the original trilogy is that it tries to incorporate collectathon genre elements like the vehicle levels; selectable stage order; and crystals with no regards to whether it fits its own unique gameplay style. Crash 4 removed most of the Banjo/Spyro-adjacent elements and was better off for it.
which crash 4?

Quillion

Smash Hero
Touché; maybe I should have said "interactive and/or non-linear elements" make linear games shine. I'd say that Crash's signature challenging platforming is a form of interactivity, even if it's not a form of non-linearity.

That said, aren't everything like the gems, crystals, and selectable stages optional? You can still play Crash 2 and 3 like totally linear games if you want.

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
Touché; maybe I should have said "interactive and/or non-linear elements" make linear games shine. I'd say that Crash's signature challenging platforming is a form of interactivity, even if it's not a form of non-linearity.

That said, aren't everything like the gems, crystals, and selectable stages optional? You can still play Crash 2 and 3 like totally linear games if you want.
Crystals in Crash 2 and 3 are really weird - they're required to progress to the next world, but they're also extremely obvious to see; never hidden off; and add basically nothing to the gameplay aside from the 2 or 3 stages they blend into the backgrounds of, in which case it's more an annoyance that makes you replay the level than anyhing. The gems and selectable stage orders, however, are optional as there is a definitive order to the stages regardless of your own choice - that being said I prefer the approach Crash 1 and 4 take where there is a specific order, because that way the difficulty can increase naturally as a gauntlet instead of multiple stages of the same difficulty, followed by multiple stages of their own same difficulty - especially given the worlds in Crash 2 and 3 didn't even have consistent theming like 1 and 4's individual worlds

Last edited:

Quillion

Smash Hero
Crystals in Crash 2 and 3 are really weird - they're required to progress to the next world, but they're also extremely obvious to see; never hidden off; and add basically nothing to the gameplay aside from the 2 or 3 stages they blend into the backgrounds of, in which case it's more an annoyance that makes you replay the level than anyhing. The gems and selectable stage orders, however, are optional as there is a definitive order to the stages regardless of your own choice - that being said I prefer the approach Crash 1 and 4 take where there is a specific order, because that way the difficulty can increase naturally as a gauntlet instead of multiple stages of the same difficulty, followed by multiple stages of their own same difficulty - especially given the worlds in Crash 2 and 3 didn't even have consistent theming like 1 and 4's individual worlds
You know, I don't understand why people list "consistent difficulty curve" as a big pro for linear games.

EarthBound is a very linear game with huge leaps between easy parts and hard parts throughout, yet I'd still say that the inconsistency helps enhance EarthBound as an experience. Intense parts and breathers are good for pacing even in gameplay.

Infinity Sorcerer

Smash Champion
After the recent announcement of Guilty Gear Strive Starter Edition (that it's basically a Year One edition) that in short is the base game with all the DLC content (minus preorder bonuses) with a price minor to the original (at least converting the pricen in yens to dollars, it's probably that the price would be changed in the international release) I want to say that this type of packs are stupid, the only thing they would work is if 1. The game was losing money and they want to have the intereset of people giving the DLC's for free or 2. The game is already ending or near the end so a complete edition is fine.

At least I expect they also reduce the price of the base game, if not it would be like purchase MKX when MKXL is cheaper and complete.

Infinity Sorcerer

Smash Champion
Originality doesn't mean a good game. Sure, it would make it highlight a little but that doesn't mean is a good game, I think it's better work with what it's already donde and try to make it interesing instead of make a "new mechanic" that would either be counterproductive to the general experience or just look like filling.

Quillion

Smash Hero
Originality doesn't mean a good game. Sure, it would make it highlight a little but that doesn't mean is a good game, I think it's better work with what it's already donde and try to make it interesing instead of make a "new mechanic" that would either be counterproductive to the general experience or just look like filling.
Hoo boy, hipster gamers need to hear that. Not that I'm one of the corporate sheep who blindly support stagnant sequels like Call of Duty or recent Pokémon, but really, while there are unlimited ideas for video games, there are only so much that can combine to make a fun experience.

I'll always put forth PlayStation All-Stars as a game where they tried so hard to make the core gameplay unique that they forgot to make it actually fun. Seriously, just having a health bar would've made it plenty different from Smash while still being fun.
----
Anyway, because I've been discussing it a bit with Infinity Sorcerer Infinity Sorcerer , modern traditional fighting games are bloated with too many mechanics. I don't mind FG inputs though, but hopefully their mechanical complexity can return to circa SSF2T or maybe just slightly above that.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
in fairness originality died out in the 20th century

Infinity Sorcerer

Smash Champion
Anyway, because I've been discussing it a bit with Infinity Sorcerer Infinity Sorcerer Infinity Sorcerer Infinity Sorcerer , modern traditional fighting games are bloated with too many mechanics. I don't mind FG inputs though, but hopefully their mechanical complexity can return to circa SSF2T or maybe just slightly above that.
To give additional information about it, the main problem isn't that there are too many mechanics but that most of the time there are no synergy between them, for example Strive's breakable walls only made the game a "who can make the other stay in the corner for most time" instead of improve the fast pased nature of the game, in fact it actually perjudicate the same making most combos unviable outside training mode.

Infinity Sorcerer

Smash Champion
Well, I think should tried to give a better explanation, sure I also think there are no "completely original" things, but I was referring more individually between games, trying to add thinks just for the sake of include something new instead of make something that actually works.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Well, I think should tried to give a better explanation, sure I also think there are no "completely original" things, but I was referring more individually between games, trying to add thinks just for the sake of include something new instead of make something that actually works.
well I certainly agree novelty will only go so far

Quillion

Smash Hero
I'd say originality died with the internet. Or it least it was supposed to with its idea sharing, but outdated capitalist copyright laws have stubbornly enforced originality's undeath.

To give additional information about it, the main problem isn't that there are too many mechanics but that most of the time there are no synergy between them, for example Strive's breakable walls only made the game a "who can make the other stay in the corner for most time" instead of improve the fast pased nature of the game, in fact it actually perjudicate the same making most combos unviable outside training mode.
Yeah, things like Kara cancels are fine as nice convenience features. Even something simple as focus attacking goes a bit too far.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I'd say originality died with the internet. Or it least it was supposed to with its idea sharing, but outdated capitalist copyright laws have stubbornly enforced originality's undeath.
well i didnt want to say originality died with douglas adams and terry prachett as i wasnt sure how much flack id get for that

Quillion

Smash Hero
well i didnt want to say originality died with douglas adams and terry prachett as i wasnt sure how much flack id get for that
Hey, I was hoping anticipating my statement would trigger a right-wing vs leftist debate. You gotta revel in the flack sometimes.

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
I think, starting with Marvel Super Heroes, Capcom’s Marvel fighting games should’ve had a Smash Bros-esque control scheme with four buttons (a button for normal attacks, a button for special moves, a button for grabbing, and a button for shielding). The button combinations for MSH would probably be like this:
  • Any direction + Special: a character’s different special move
  • Grab + Special: Infinity Gem
  • Attack + Special with at least 1 Super bar: Super moves
Of course, the game can still have a “Pro” version that retains the familiar 6-button layout.

Last edited:

Infinity Sorcerer

Smash Champion
I think, starting with Marvel Super Heroes, Capcom’s Marvel fighting games should’ve had a Smash Bros-esque control scheme with four buttons (a button for normal attacks, a button for special moves, a button for grabbing, and a button for shielding). The button combinations for MSH would probably be like this:
Of course, the game can still have a “Pro” version that retains the familiar 6-button layout.
There is a particular reason why most people has problems with that class of buttons and is the reversals, trust me, in traditional fighting games, reversals that can be used with just one direction + button is very very problematic, and also the charge characters since most of them have strong attacks to compensate the charge. Sure you can say their damage would be lower but still being a good-on-paper-but-not-really-a-so-good-idea. I think they already did something good in the MvC games with the 3 buttons layout (and the fact that the supers are just a normal input instead of double inputs and things like that). And we don't talk about what they did in SFIV3D, oh god, the moves mapped to the touch screen are just cancer.

Last edited:

Quillion

Smash Hero
I take it you've heard of what SF6 is doing?

Quillion

Smash Hero
The Persona series has a bleak future as a multi-console franchise now that it has come to Xbox (and PC).

Now the series is going to be bland and lowest-common-denominator pandering rather than its uniquely modern JRPG theme that only PlayStation fans appreciate.

I'll be happy if it comes to Switch and I'll probably grab some mods for the PC versions, but Persona's artistic integrity is in danger.

Infinity Sorcerer

Smash Champion
The Persona series has a bleak future as a multi-console franchise now that it has come to Xbox (and PC).

Now the series is going to be bland and lowest-common-denominator pandering rather than its uniquely modern JRPG theme that only PlayStation fans appreciate.

I'll be happy if it comes to Switch and I'll probably grab some mods for the PC versions, but Persona's artistic integrity is in danger.
Persona lost the niche medal long time ago since P5, so I don't see why it should be a problem, I don't think the next games (no-spin offs) would take a completely different direction now that the games are multiplatform.
I mean, even if they aren't the main ones, Persona had multiplatform games in the past:

Last edited:

Champion of Hyrule

Smash Master

I am genuinely confused as to how the series will even be slightly different now that it’s on other consoles too. I really don’t see how that decision will change anything about how the games how the aesthetic/art direction will be different at all. It’s not like the aesthetic of the persona games is a thing that can only happen on playstation

Last edited:
Top Bottom