• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What are your reasons for choosing your main?

Yamato Hong

Smash Apprentice
Hi, everyone! ^-^

This is just another curiousity thread. I'm not sure if there are any other threads like this already, but I just like sharing answers with the community. ^-^

I would also like to hear discussion about secondaries as well, but you really don't have to. ^-^

Here's mine:

I main Marth, mostly because I enjoy the Fire Emblem series and his aerial prowess. Although, I never played a Fire Emblem game with Marth in it, I just like the fact that he is one of its representatives here in Smash. I was awestruck of his notable appearance in the western world during the Melee days. Back then, I was not yet familiar about Fire Emblem, but I immediately grew fond of it. I became more dedicated to Marth as I keep adapting to his playstyle.
Roy was all right, though, but I consider him inferior to Marth since I prefer more speed over power, and safe spacing with a powerful tipped blade, despite my favorite element being fire. Marth, in Brawl, is just as good in my opinion. A shorter sword, which reduces range by a bit, but at least his few other attributes are buffed. ^-^

My seconds encompass Link, Falco, and Ike. I play Ike as my strongest secondary since he is also a character from Fire Emblem. In comparison to Marth, his aerials are not as impressive. He does make up for range and power, at least.

Well? That's all, folks! ^-^ Of course, your reasons do not have to be long or elaborated as this. I'm looking forward to yours!

#HBC | Dark Horse

Mach-Hommy x Murakami
I had just finished LoZ: Phantom Hourglass.

Also, before that, I had used ness. When I played as toon link, I actually started to WIN! (no offense ness mains, there was probably a lot i didn't know)

My 1st reason's why I even tried TL, 2nd's why I stuck with him.

UberMario

Smash Master
I've been playing the original Mario platformers since I was a youngster, which is why he's my favorite character and thus my main.

Supreme Dirt

King of the Railway
I picked Ganon because I play defensively. Also, he's the king of evil, and so awesome they realized they had no choice but to give him a stronger version of Captain Falcon's moveset for Melee.

Life

Smash Hero
Main: Sonic, partially because when I was little I thought he was in Smash 64 (LOL) and partially because I like the ability to flee across the stage (crossing FD in 57 frames anyone?) and reassess the situation if I have a problem. He also recovers nicely, and a couple other things I've forgotten.

Seconds: Toon Link. I played a lot of YL in Melee, for one, and for another I like projectiles as they let you deal damage with much less danger.

Diddy Kong. I was messing around, and picked Diddy Kong, saw the bananas and gaped at the potential. Only reason I don't main him? At least right now, as a competitive noob I try to reduce the number of objects I have to focus on.

MK. Do I need to explain?

Ike. I fight for my friends! LOL, but seriously. He's got a pretty nice range with the sword and nice aerials, crazy killing power and a good spike. Also, Counter is fun. (Not necessarily good, but fun.) He's also good in the water on Pirate Ship/Delfino.

Falco. Lasers, chain throws, relatively easy spike, and I prefer the aerial game much like the Landmaster quote, heh.

Also, an honorable mention goes to Olimar. While I was super-hyped about his appearance in Brawl, I really couldn't get the hang of playing him. Sigh.

global-wolf

Smash Champion
My friend mained Pichu in Melee, so I decided to try Pikachu. And then I discovered Thunder. :D

For my second, when I heard Ike's "I fight for my friends," I decided I wanted to play him more. I also liked his "Hyah!!" sound when he does Aether. Then his physics happened to be similar to Pikachu's, and Basic Brawls were really fun.

BurnBurn

Smash Apprentice
I mained falco and diddy for the sole reason of winning (against my cousin's snake >_>), plus their interesting gimmicks and tools

Marth, Ness, Lucas, Kirby, and Ike for their fun spammable arials and playstyle.

Apollo$

Smash Ace
I had a 500 wii point card and just randomly decided to purchase kid Icarus, the game had some stupid charm to it despite how hard it is. Now I picked him up in brawl since he is really fun to play

Benify

Smash Cadet
NNID
Eggn0g
3DS FC
5214-9751-3548
SSB 64: I picked Mario because I knew him better then any one else, now captain falcon is my main

SSBM: I used Bowser because I thought being all big and tough would make me win, then I saw falco's moveset....

SSBB: I used Diddy Kong first and I still use him now. :chuckle:

dpgthirteen

Smash Apprentice
My main is Lucas after playing mother 3. Brawl made Lucas look like a complete coward even though he was only a coward as a kid. which he got his psi after all is coward moments so that can not be young lucas in brawl. but yea his moves are fun and no offense to ness mains but i would rather keep him in the next smash brothers then ness if one of them has to get the boot

CiViC

Smash Rookie
My main is Toon Link, though at one point I had switched from him to Twilight Link because that one has more power. Later on I switched back to Toon Link because he's faster and more well-balanced than Link is.

The reason why I pick Toon Link is for three reasons:
1) Toon link is, in my opinion, the only character that has a perfect ranged/melee balance.
2) The Legend of Zelda is by far my favorite video game franchise of all time.
3) Relating to 1, Toon Link's balanced fighting allows for a myriad of battling strategies.

As of yet, I do not have a secondary, but if I were to pick a character other than Toon Link it would have to be Meta Knight. I really don't care about tiers, it's just that Meta Knight has amazing speed and that almost negates my need for ranged attacks.

El Jefe

Smash Rookie
My main is Lucario.
He just immediately fit with me when I tried him.

Before lucario, I used pokemon trainer, just because I enjoyed constantly using different characters. But after a while, I wanted someone more in the middle, rather than a bunch of extreme characters like squirtle or charizard.

Sync.

Smash Champion
I main Snake because my best friend who quit the smash scene was in love with Metal Gear and mained Snake. I picked him up to take his place and then played all the Metal Gears to feel like a legit Snake main. I used to main R.O.B however before he quit. I chose R.O.B because of his robotic fighting style because many people say I "think like a robot" anyway he just really worked for me.

jrmac37

Smash Rookie
I chose Mr. Game & Watch in Melee just because I always thought that he was such a weird and unique character, and I'm always drawn to the quirky or unique characters in fighting games. I also like how each one of his attacks was a different object from the Game & Watch games and how they can all be linked to one. Since I like him so much in Melee, I just continued to use him in Brawl and was very glad to see that he got majorly buffed. I've tried a bunch of different characters, and like a lot of their playstyles, but I could just never get close to as good as I was with G&W and I always enjoyed him most, so I always stick with him.

Zatchiel

a little slice of heaven 🍰
NNID
Zatchiel
Switch FC
SW-0915-4119-3504
Cause i've always mained low tier for some reason, i just never find fun in using people like Snake, and if you lose to a low tier, no johns <_< lol

Mains= Link, Samus, Falcon, btw.

ZTD | TECHnology

Developing New TECHnology
I main Snake because Captain Falcon sucks in this game I told myself that I would pick up Snake as a secondary anyway. But I became inspired after watching Ally videos. Snake is my type of character and I like to take my time in matches. The slow heavy defensive characters feel perfect for me.

TheShuckler

Smash Rookie
I started playing the original Smash Bros when I was 4. Back then, I thought Ness was cool because he was a kid with all these super abilities. He's just stuck with me since then.

Moogi

Smash Apprentice
In Smash 64 I used to main Pikachu and secondary Jigglypuff because I was into the anime back when I was five, and I even thought Pokemon was cool even though I never played the games up until recently. I though Pikachu was awesome and Jigglypuff was cute (omg I'm not a Jiggs hater)

In Brawl I actually started maining Ness because when I first unlocked him in 64. I was curious about him and his series, so I researched his game and found it interesting. Plus, sometime before I got Brawl I tried maining him in 64, but he was sorta hard for me to use, especially trying to get used to PK Thunder 2. When I did get Brawl I realized he worked well for me, and I thought that with his abilities he was pretty epic. Oh, and he's also the reason my friend decided to get Earthbound from her neighbour's Garage Sale so I could play it on her SNES. :p

As for my Brawl secondaries/whatever... well, Zelda and Lucario have magic/psychic abilities, Jigglypuff is bad***, Luigi was/is my favourite Mario character, Falco... I don't know why I did, but I don't really main him anymore, and Marth is
the manliest and hawtest of them all
also pretty cool

EDIT: OMG 42nd post.... might as well stop posting and lurk instead

ludvigpasse

Smash Cadet
i main link and jiggs, the only characters i enjoy to play, turns out to be low tiers lol

itzshowtime8686

Smash Rookie
My first character was Link in SSB 64 so he's been my guy since. SSBM I wanted to change b/c my friend's Fox was a pain, then came Falco and that turned to a piece of cake. SSBB, I was always a Wario fan but hated how they made him here, but he turned out to be alright. So...
1. Link
2. Falco
3. Toss up between Wario, Snake, DK, Kirby, Pikachu...lol

Evil-Guy

Smash Journeyman
Peach

It kinda started waaaay back when I was around 8-10 playing melee. My cousin would come babysit me over the summers, and we played melee every night. She always picked captain falcon, and I always picked peach. I dont know why I picked peach in the first place though, but I grew attached to her, and comfortable playing her. :3 2 summers later she stopped coming. I stopped playing for a while, since the game is boring without anyone to play with. Then the wii came out along with brawl, and it has wi-fi. I'm a happy cat. :>

BlueSuperSonic1

Smash Journeyman
I chose Meta Knight as my main because when Brawl cme out, I tried a lot of characters. I eventually used Meta Knight because I liked his playstyle and that he's just plain awesome.

MasterToshima

Smash Journeyman
Oh well we didnt get Waluigi in brawl, and he is my main priority for SSB4 on the list :)
So I play Luigi. He is amazing, I love his aerials, up-B, background story, looks and the rest :).

I also love Mario series but didnt want to be a main-stream fanboi playing Mario, turns out there's more us Luigis than Marios.

As for 2 of my alts - Toon Link - Im a big fan of Zelda series especially 3 "cartoon " Zelda's (WW, PH, ST). Other than that I like him as a character.

And Lucas - I love magic, and he has a mistery background story to him + his moves are slick and he is a very flexibile character to play.

For my alts I was looking for second characters and I saw some good combo vids of Tink and Lucas so I fell in love with these guys :laugh:

I also recently started playing Sheik, I can say she's in my final training stage at the moment.

sammy p

Smash Lord
my best characters are pit, luigi, and jiggs in that order..
i picked jiggs and pit because they have an awsome air game(which i rely on TOO much), and awsome recovery. they are obviously not the strongest, but thats my reason :ohwell:
luigi cuz........well, lets face it... luigi is F*CKING COOL!

Sunshine Man

Smash Rookie
Still deciding. But I'm getting better with Mario, Captain Falcon, Sheik, Samus, Lucas and Ike.

Mario because of the infamous Cape.
Captain Falcon because there's ALWAYS justice to be served.
Sheik because she's such a ninja.. <3
Samus because I'm a Metroid fan, and sometimes I like to be a "DairDevil" Hahaheh!
Lucas because of his strong pSi powers and his random stick of death. ;p
Ike because I like to fight for my friends.

Rikter

Smash Cadet
Initially I played Melee with freinds and I used characters like Captain Falcon, Roy and Gannondorf but I never did play enough to get any good at the game.

When I began to play Brawl I first chose Ike due to him beeing the new FE character and I don't like Marth. I quite liked the Raw power and range his Smash attacks had as well as Eruption and Quick Draw. I decided to use him alot. As I am moving into competitive play he seems a less amazing but I intend to use him still.

King Dedede and Wario where in GBA games I really enjoyed so I decided to try them out they seemed pretty nice to use and fun to play as so I keep them as secondary's. Wolf I used a few times on a whim after looking at the Wolf boards which had some interesting topic titles and he seemed to be another character I would like to know. As for Lucario I picked him on a whim today but he looks like a character who'll be fun to use although before I detested his movement.

MK would be used but i'm not touching him until I know just how "overpowered he is.

bibleonian

Smash Apprentice
I never owned 64 but I played Link when I was at my cousins who did own it. I chose him simply because he was a familiar face (and I liked the series). When I got around to getting a rom I quickly unlocked CF because of the PAWNCH factor. I added Samus to my arsenal because I really like hopping around and trying to think of ways I could out mindgame a person. I never could get used to pikachu that much so he's my worst in 64.

In Melee I stuck with Link again and this time added YL and Roy to my group of characters. I chose the links because of the familiarity of them and the fact that I loved their ability to f-smash twice which meant my cousins couldn't side step twice fast enough and I could slow down my second slash to hit him if he shielded just enough to deal damage. I liked Roy for his power and I never really got to noticing his lack of recovery. I brought in Mew2 and I loved his d-smash and his teleport. I obviously never really got too good with him but I loved how floaty he was and used that to off-set my opponents. I switched once I started watching Ken and Isai play and loved how fast both of them were and I tried to get really good with CF and Marth and as a result I started losing interest in melee because I just couldn't get over how bad the AI was (even though I knew it was terrible anyways). I was probably the worst with IC's. I couldn't manage 2 people at once.

Brawl rolled around and once I got to play it at my cousins house I quickly chose Marth due to him being in melee and he was a whole lot faster with his side-b. It was now a functional ability for me (I had a lot of trouble with it in melee). I tried Lucario and gave ROB a try. I loved how cool Lucario looked and thought Rob was interesting so I chose both of them for a time. Once I owned it I went through and quickly unlocked all the characters through the adventure and I grew to love how much Yoshi had changed but he still wasn't becoming my main. Once I got to G&W I thought he was interesting as well. I kept looking over the mass of characters and I eventually gave Yoshi a long try. I loved how much his recovery was so much more superior to Melee. I picked him up and made him my first secondary. I took to Pit after watching some pit videos on Youtube and loved his long recovery and his arrows. Yes he was annoying but I got used to it. I decided to see how I would do with Samus and I thoroughly enjoyed just bouncing around with b-down and other such tricks. She became my casual main and I brought The Captain too.

summary:
64: Link-->Captain Falcon/Samus
Melee:Link, YL, Mewtwo, Roy--> Marth, Captain Falcon, Link
Brawl:Marth, Lucario, ROB-->Marth, Yoshi, Pit, (Casual:Samus, Captain Falcon)

(I think I got a bit carried away there... :/ oh well)

Pierce7d

Wise Hermit
3DS FC
1993-9028-0439
I was going to choose MK because he's my favorite Nintendo character and I could tell he was good when I saw him in the trailer. However, my skill with Marth progressed faster because I had a Melee background to fall back on, and I originally had difficulty flying while fighting.

I still like both characters because they have range and safety, and they can approach well. I don't hate camping entirely, but I enjoy trapping and pressuring opponents, and willing myself to victory through crushing my opponent.

Rychu

Thane of Smashville
3DS FC
1908-0105-4965
I use Olimar mostly because I like the uniqueness of his moveset.

Top Bottom