• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What are your reasons for choosing your main?

Tanspriter

Smash Cadet
Sonic Adventure 2 Battle was one of my favourite games...unforunately there was never really a good sonic game after that. But.. when I saw Sonic on the dojo and gameplay of him I instantly decided he would be my main. He just resembled what made sonic cool in the good old days, none of this boosting forward to kill everything in front of you or werewolf crap, just the good old dash and homing attack.

Zephyros

Smash Apprentice
I never really had a main until recently. My brother and I always used to play tournaments together where I would always be 1st player and he would always be 2nd. Even if you won, you were not guaranteed to be the same character in the next round. Since this was the primary way I played most of the time, I was really a generalist for the majority of my smash career.

Now I'm starting to play smash a little more competitively, and have buckled down and chosen a few people to work on. I'm best with snake and meta knight right now, but I don't just want my main to be someone who is "the best." I'm working hard right now to make Ice Climbers or ZSS my main because I enjoy their playstyles and think that I have a lot of growth potential with them.

Rialdospaldacht

Smash Journeyman
Back in SSB, I mained Falcon for some reason I can no longer remember.

Two or three years later, we got Melee and I found Ganondorf, who was like Falcon but stronger. Thus a Ganondorf was born. Coincidentally that and the fact that my sister mained Link lead us to trying out OoT and getting into the Zelda series.

...Then Brawl happened, and Ganondorf was still a clone and now he was god awful.

So I played him anyway.

Jaklub

Smash Journeyman
I mained Yoshi in SSB because it was my favourite char. It didn't change in Melee. Now I main Captain Falcon for lulz (and because well timed FARUKON PAAAUUNCH is satisfying as hell). Yoshi, Pikachu, Sonic and mr. G&W are secondaries.
also, I can't play as Meta Knight.

Rsd

Smash Rookie
I used to use Kirby back in the days of Melee, although my brother and his friends called me cheap for using him (and that I was an item-hog back then). I was still Kirby for most of my Brawl time so far, because I liked that he had a bunch of helpful moves. I eventually switched to Lucas after mastering (mostly) PK Thunder, and I like Lucas for a variety of reasons, so he's now pretty much my main.

Veel

Smash Apprentice
I just wanted wanted to choose a main from day one that I felt I do well with and just stick with them. It came down to Dedede and Yoshi and I chose Yoshi XD.

Supermik884

Smash Rookie
Well for me, I change my main quite often :
My first main was Sonic, because he is my favorite character and I really love his game. But I got bored because I was always beating my friend.

So I changed for Wolf, because he has a ****** look and I manage to make a kind of 0-death combo against my friend, I taught it was aswome (was just luck). And I change for the same reason has Sonic.

So I changed for Ike, because he have freaking awsome killing move. A little neutral combo to separete the ennemy, then a fsmash when he charge at me to send him flying away. But after reading information about him and talking with other about him, it make me taught that Ike is kind of a cheap character.

So I changed for Luigi. Why?! Well because he IS Luigi, what better reason do yo need?

JuxtaposeX

Smash Lord
I decided to main MK before the game even came out because I liked the character, but then everyone complained that he was overpowered and had to change mains because I was tired of hearing my friends complaining. Not that I was good or anything back then, I was horrible.

I chose to pick up Mario after that because I used to play him in Melee when I was a lot younger. I was a pretty big pro wrestling fan back then and Mario's bair was/is a dropkick, which were pretty amazing to me as a kid to see someone jump up into the air and stomp their boots into someone's face. I picked him up in brawl because he felt the more familiar to me compared to the rest of the cast.

I secondary Luigi because boss8.

Dynamite

Smash Apprentice
When I first got Brawl I mained Lucas cause, I was eager to play as another Mother character. But once I unlocked Ness and got the feel of him, he became my new main.
But in truth I've always wanted to main Yoshi cause he's one of my favorite videogame characters ever! But, my friends said he sux and it would take forever to master him. But that just convinced me to give him a shot. Suprisingly, it didn't take long for me to get the hang of Yoshi. I really like his moveset and I love doing the Egg Lay to B-Air combo. Yoshi is and will always be my main.

*Z*

Smash Rookie
I think my main character's would be Ike, Ness, and Lucas. Ness & Lucas are pretty much the same, but Ness's Side Smash is powerful, and Lucas's Final Smash is reliable. Now Ike, you can pretty much guess why I picked him...

666Philotanus666

Smash Cadet
Brawl: Main, Peach, when I realized that she hits people with her crown, and remembered "hey! she can float!" I picked her and decided to make her my main character, besides... "she's the lame one" (no offense)
Secondaries: Luigi! no explaination needed... Diddy Kong, because I HATE him and he's ****ing anoying! Zero Suit Samus, because she can run twice as fast than the average people! AND I did NOT picked her because of her idiotic body (no offense if you like her,but I don't)
Melee:Luigi and Peach, same reason.
SSB54:Luigi, same reason... again... Captain Falcon, F-Zero X is extremely cool!

redrighthand

Smash Apprentice
Orginally when Brawl came out I was right into Lucas, he was fun and enjoyable. When I decided to start pushing myself into more competitive styles of play he just didn't feel right anymore.

I picked up Diddy Kong after going through the roster and playing some matches with much everyone.

Well, it was love at first sight. After some long romantic walks on the beach and candlelit dinners we decided to strip off and get down and dirty into the good stuff. This is when I discovered Glidetossing and all the wonders surrounding bananas.

To put it simply; Diddy is fast. I love how Whatever I want him to do he can do, he has such effective movement and tricks. And that flashy side to him appeals :3

Lionheart

Smash Rookie
Main: Ganondorf
Reason: For one thing, the Zelda series is possibly the second best game series of all time (they have a whole TIER reserved for their characters ;)). As far as why I specifically chose Ganon, it basically started when I had a really long and nerd-like discussion with a Captain Falcon main about whether or not Ganon was even playable in competition. I have always thought that even being bottom-tier, he's not impossible to use. So playing as Ganon was something of an effort to prove that.

I've been thinking about a lot of choices for alternates. I'm looking at R.O.B., Game & Watch, Olimar, etc. Let's face it, there are some match-ups in which Ganon just can't perform well. :ohwell:

Psycho Meta Knight

Smash Apprentice
I main with Meta Knight. I never acctually played the games, but I watched the Kirby Right Back At Ya series and Meta Knight was my favoritve character. So I started using him on Brawl. I'm someone who always prefers speed over power, so I like MK's speed and quick combo attacks. I also like the fact that he can fly. The only draw back is that he's very light weight so he dies quickly. But with use of shield and dodging I've gotten around that problem (mostly). Plus, when I started I was just naturally good with him (and a few others).

As for secondaries, I keep switching out between characters, mainly the Star Fox crew, and haven't had a solid secondary character yet. Right now I'm considering Falco because he is med-speed, high jump, and has great combo abilites. Plus I have priar expirence with him.

Velnior

Smash Rookie
SSBM: I experimented with everyone and found out I did best with Link, so he became my main. Ganondorf was my secondary guy b/c he's freakin' Ganondorf! By the end of the days of Melee, Yoshi of all people had somehow become my 3rd char...

SSBB: When the game came out I decided I wanted to main someone other than Link. In the trailers for the game I saw Pit and thought he looked pretty cool, so I made him my main. I made Lucario my secondary char b/c I like the Pokemon games. I also play Ganondorf and Sonic a lot b/c I like them.

Jok3rst@r

Smash Rookie
I main toon link because he has good areial attacks, a good recovery move and proyectile attacks, he is fast and he is pretty good. When i got the brawl (like 2 motnhs ago XD) i main link but he is to slow ( i preffer the melee link) his attacks have too much lag and his recovery move is bad but i like it i still use not so much but i still use likn somentimes.
I main ness too but with ness i still have to practice a lot.

n!njaAttack!

Smash Rookie
I love pokemon. I've been in the competive battling scene for like forever and I still play faithfully. When I first started playing Smash, I only played characters I liked. For instance I played sonic and I was horrible with him. A little while later I started using characters that I liked and had a good playing style. That's where luca came in. He had a good fighting style, was one of my favorites due to being a pokemon. And I just rejoiced even more when I found out he was in the Top tier.

lilseph

Smash Ace
I play MK because i like to spam the hell out of tornado. Then i learned that there was more to the character and now i like him even more. Hes fun to play as.

DARKDRAGONHIEI

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
4828-5788-9766
I main pit. I have always been fascinated by archers. for unknown reason they always caught my eyes. he has a pretty decent running speed. the wings and the ability to fly were also great and i also like using small and fast weapon (ex. his daggers) instead of the big and slow ones.

my second is MR.G&W you gotta be on drugs to get beat by a 2D figure XD hes just too much fun

Tinnitus

Smash Apprentice
I main Captain Falcon in all 3 smashes.

Reasons: He is fast, he is powerful, he has easy combos equivalent to my play style, and of course...

FALCON PAWNCH!

Blissard

Smash Lord
My criteria for picking a main makes no sense whatsoever, but I ask myself these 4 questions:
-Does the character have a cool storyline/background?
-Is the character cute/beautiful?
-Is the character under-represented at tournaments?
-Do they have a unique aspect to their gameplay?

My result was Olimar :D and then Brood came and soared his popularity. Some people base their decisions on tier lists, I really don't like to, because otherwise Brawl would be composed of like 5 characters. And besides, when you beat a MK or a Snake with a character that's low-tier, you can rub it in their face and gloat HA!

Mr. Game and Watch Jn.

Smash Rookie
Final Destination, Waiting for Master/Crazy Hand
I used to main Ike in Brawl, don't really know why, but I sucked then and felt I needed someone else, I tried out everyone but never got a feel for someone till I took a break. Again, I tried people out and picked Mr. GaW. I thought that he was a very unusual char, and then picked up Marf as a secondary main. I then played others and picked up several others out of sheer bordom, those were Wario (his weird floaty style was appealing to me) Ike (I like fighting my friends :p) TLink (Preferred of Link over better recovery and lighter) CFalcon (Just... awesome) and Ganondorf (Picking up the worst char in the game for no reason whatsoever sure is fun lol)

Blissard

Smash Lord
Prob just my opinioning, but alot of people who pick up brawl start with C.Falcon, Ganon, and biggest n00b character of all time Ike. then alot of people also tend to like kirby, pit, and toon link because swordsman are bad*** and kirby flies. alot of people also claim that ike is better than marth, which is a scrub statement.

Lentini

Smash Rookie
I like to read my opponent and let them make the mistakes so I can capitalize on them. The shield button is just sooo good in brawl, you nearly always get frame advantage from shielding or dodging an attack. Thus, I love to play King Dedede and Wario

Wxcsdb

Smash Rookie
My main is Lucario.
He pwns in sudden death cuz of his aura

My seconds are Falco and Toon Link.
Falco cuz i like chaingrabs and ToonLink cuz i always win.

Chaos

Smash Rookie
yoshi bec he is cute and he is half dragon and half dinosaur

Samus bec i love the metroid series specially Prime series

Mario i love to use his cape to reflect the opponent(hehehe)

Nova

Banned via Warnings
Snake 'cause he's fun and grunts and has a broken flucking u-tilt that is like awesome.
And mine.
And.... d-throw. <3

Top Bottom