• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What are your reasons for choosing your main?

EggFlip

Smash Cadet
When I'm being competitive: Olimar/Meta Knight
When I'm mucking around or practicing: Pit, Wolf, Wario, Dedede

No reasons, just my favourite playstyles and shizz

Flame Hyenard

Smash Lord
In SSB = Yoshi, though I didn't get the chance to play it more :(

In SSBM = Yoshi, Mario, Link, Fox, Captain Falcon, Ness, Marth and Roy.

In SSBB = Captain Falcon, Ganondorf, Ness, Fox, Pokémon Trainer, Ike, Luigi, Mario, Yoshi, Wario (the eating factor and his bike) and recently, Jigglypuff.

Grim Tuesday

Smash Legend
SSB: Donkey Kong because I like the way he plays.
SSBM: Ice Climbers and Fox because I like how technical they are, and Pichu because he is low tier and uncommon.
SSBB: Jigglypuff, Mario, Samus, Yoshi and Pokemon Trainer because I like the way they play, are uncommon and are low tier :D

thecalmone

Smash Rookie
I mained Mario for 64 and most of the time I played Melee. However, I started to get bored of him and picked up Falco and Gannon. In brawl I started off as a Falco main with Mario as my secondary, but then I played a few games with D3 and use him the most.

While I main D3 I still dabble in Falco, Mario, and Jiggy

Ultraxwing

Smash Ace
My main: Samus

she may be low tier, but when i was younger only two things i owned. a Nintendo console and Metroid. (this was 1999)

okay i beat metroid only recently (took me 11 years to be the classic *** monster) and have beaten every other metroid to date, except MOM

i main samus because i grew on her. ever since

SSB:
SSBM:
SSBB:

glad they kept her.

my second is Zero Suit samus, not real reason to explain, just couldn't play her at that time. well she wasn't in any of the SSB games until recently

i also play peach.

lilseph

Smash Ace
SSB: Everyone (hard to be bad with someone in that game aside from tier placement)
SSBM: Marth/bowser
SSBB: Marth/MK

Bowser was for the lulz

Limeee

Smash Champion
snake and metaknight

snake, because he's fun as hell but challenging, and metaknight because he's fun as hell and not frustrating (except against falco :( )

:009:

Zottic

Smash Rookie
Well I'm very off and on, but I am aware I am very good as Mr. Game & Watch, and Lucas. They are my top two characters, but Lucas is secondary. I like GAW because his play style can be so risky and fun. It really lets you manipulate your opponents. He's also such a simple character, with a complex group of attacks. Unlike with some of the other characters, who have very simple and easy to understand moves like kirby, or, yoshi, (they're both great) GAW has some kind of tricky moves to pull off. Idk, I guess I just love blocky, quirky, characters.

MacNCheese.

Smash Ace
In SSBB I main:

:marth: Because he is SO fun! He's also an elitist :)
:lucas: My best character when the game came out, he hasn't failed me yet!
:mario2: Cape shenanigans.
:metaknight: He's so cheap, good when i'm tired of losing :p
:popo: Infinites.

YellowPikmin

Smash Journeyman
Most of my choices have more to do with liking the character, though some I do like the playstyle too.

Link: Aside from being frickin' LINK, I find his playstyle suits me, for some reason. To be fair I usually play 4 players, but I'm more consistently successful with Link than with the apparently "higher tier" characters.

Game and Watch: He's funny looking, and also tough as nails in this one.

Pokemon Trainer: I really like the idea of trying to time the switches so that you use each character's advantages as best you can--though in practice it translates to "be Charizard when your damage approaches 80% or so". Plus, Pokemon is awesome.

Samus: I actually find Samus really frustrating to play as sometimes--mostly I can't find any useful attack to use when approaching from above, and she falls too slowly to get on the ground away from opponents. But, it is Samus, who's very cool and the projectile style is an interesting one to use, so I'm trying.

Meta Knight: He's basically a ninja, nuff said.

And, not really a main, but still:

Captain Falcon: Falcon PAWNCH!--I'm not great with him but I'm getting better and I can land that Falcon Punch a little more every day--though again you can only pull it off consistently in a 4 player match if you catch someone with their pants down. However, when you catch EVERYONE with their pants down while they're all in close quarters fighting with each other...hehehehe.

fenyx4

Smash Journeyman
Simple. I LIEK SWORDS. :starman:

That, and Link just flowed well with my playstyle of keeping on the offensive, hacking and slashing my foes away, down-stabbing them off of the stage, bombing them upwards, and boomeranging the heck out of them. I guess he had such a wide assortment of tools to choose from in order to finish off enemies... And the Spin Attack worked wonders in KOing back in SSB64 (it still does in Melee and Brawl!)... :)

(plus, the Triforce did look cool and intriguing as Link's symbol. Link's playstyle helped me get engaged with the awesome Legend of Zelda series, too... ;))

The real little comet

Smash Cadet
Inspiration, I suppose. After some time to test out a few characters, I decided to stick with Ness as my main because my older brother used to use him all the time on Super Smash Bros. 64.

In retrospect, being killed by my brothers in that game is a pretty hefty piece of my childhood.
Especially since they're too busy to play games with me now.

Metakill

Smash Journeyman
amm marth 'cause i like the way he(she?XD) moves.. and i was lucky 'cause in melee he are a very good character... and brawl... just see Mr R and i return to Marth after change main..
and snake... 'cause i'm fan of MGS but i really main snake when i see how ally destroys a lot of MKs

PD: my english sux...

Koric

Smash Apprentice
I main Jigglypuff because I tend to play in an offensive/evasive way...mostly in the air. Plus I like its air movement control like in all Smash bros games. Plus Jigglypuff was my favorite pokemon on pokemon blue before SSB64 came out so I guess thats counts too.

Anthon1996

Smash Ace
NNID
AnUglyBarnacle
3DS FC
5301-0385-3871
I've been playing the original Mario platformers since I was a youngster, which is why he's my favorite character and thus my main.
Same here. Ever since Smash 64, I play Mario, and Weegee.

I also play as Diddy Kong because I loved him over Donkey Kong in the DKC games, as well as in DK64. Plus, he has a coo' hat. (Should've used a "K" there for komedic effekt, amirite?) Too bad that you kan't switch out to him in DKC Returns, from what I've heard. :(

Also, Captain Falcman is epic. "Shoa mii ya moofz!!"

i8pie

Smash Apprentice
I use Diddy Kong, Pokemon Trainer and Wolf because I feel comfortable with them; Diddy Kong has nice agility and multi hit attacks, plus I love seeing people slip on bananas; Wolf has nice attack options and satisfying attack animations; and Pokemon Trainer, well, Ivysaur has a nice Up Smash that feels good when it KO's someone, Charizard's Rock Smash is a winner with me and Squirtle, I enjoy his Waterfall attack and the speed he has.

SummersXen

Smash Rookie
I main Bowser because he is one of my most favorite nintendo characters and I like people's reactions when they lose to a Bowser.

Ic0slay3r

Smash Apprentice
I have been using link and people with swords since I started to play smash. When Brawl came out I tried playing with link but he sucked really bad so I tried Pit and Ike, until I unlocked TL. The second I started using him I feel in love with his floatiness and his many projectiles, immediately he became my main. :)

EpixAura

Smash Journeyman
I main Falco, because I wanted to have a chance against MK without selling my soul to use MK himself. I also picked him because he seems to have a lot of depth, with all the glitch or glitch-like tactics and techniques.
I also use ZSS, because I love the crazy spacing and precision involved. Like Falco, she seemed to be a difficult character to learn in my opinion, so of course I had to try.
Lastly, I use Dedede, because I LOVE back airs and grabs, and HATE Marths.

Kotami

Smash Rookie
I started playing Lucario because Aura helped me keep up with my better friends :/

After ~1700 games, though, I've really grown to love the guy.

ryuu seika

Smash Master
I play Keeby because I was a natural with him the first time I played Melee and it took me a long time to get good enough with anyone else. I never had that problem in the other games but I still found SSB64 Keeby the most interesting non-Yoshi character and I didn't like Yoshi's lack of an UpB recovery.
The Yoshi problem was fixed in Brawl and I love how he plays but I'm just too used to Kirby to main anyone else now.
Unfortunately, the Brawl physics make it hard for me to play as Kirby aswell.

TurnOneWrath

Smash Cadet
Not many people said Mario, but that's who I play with mostly in Brawl. After that it's Pit and Marth.
Mario and Marth are a spill over from Melee, and I found Pit gave me the greatest chance of beating my friend when he first got the game. I went down pretty bad that day, but I have Brawl now and have been playing pretty much nonstop.

I've also been trying to practice with MK, just cuz he's good. I don't know his story or anything.

Gatlin

cactus in the valley that's about to crumble down.
Really, I have no idea. One day I just got bored, glanced over at my Nintendo 64 and popped in Starfox. Got major nostalgic chills after beating it and it soon became my re-favorite game for Nintendo. I liked all the Starfox characters, except slippy of course, jk ;), not really. But I liked Fox more, it felt more right seeing as he was the main character of the game, so I decided to go with him.

So in other words, I guess it is just based on a nostalgia factor. Nothing to complain about, however. :)

Ohmu

Smash Apprentice
Dedede's PERFECTION encompasses all things, including imperfection. Strictly speaking, there is only One Way. The rest of the cast are just GUESTS in DEDEDE'S HOUSE.

\/aarsivius

Smash Cadet
Ike's amazing jab and sword ranges are some of the longest, and the damage dealt makes up for his sluggish speed and below par recovery. He is quite the all-rounder.

Meta_Ridley46

Smash Cadet
I usually switch between G&W and some otehr random character (right now im using Falco). But for G&W, i choose him just because i'm good with him (well, not good, but better than with other characters). And falco 'cause of the spam [Grab+down] spam attack.

Potato

Smash Rookie
For a long time, I played random characters against my friends, when I noticed I never lost with D3, so I looked him up and found out he was beastly. His grabs are fantastic.
MK as secondary, because he's MK.

skekasaurus

Smash Cadet
I've always chosen to main pikacu since SSB64, I even main him in all my pokemon games. :p I used to be a die-hard pokefan, now I'm grown and just choose to kick everyone's butt with pikachu. My fight style is always speed, and it doesn't hurt that pikachu's attacks pack a punch too.

For my seconds, I choose between link and toon link. They're both good if you can use them well. When I use them I love to use their projectiles. Link may be slow, but he's got more strength while toon link has the speed that I can use effectively.

TurnOneWrath

Smash Cadet
[...] has a broken flucking u-tilt that is like awesome.
Lucario would have been my main, but it turns out his u-tilt is somewhat something on which his success hinges, and I simply had too much trouble doing it on command.
Whenever I would try to do it quickly, I would jump instead. I then found that I could just hold the stick upward if I was already in the air and what until I land, or I could tilt up during the animation of his third attack (the kick), but that severely limited my options for a move that I needed.
I even set the controls to not jump on up-taps, but then I came to the realization that I use up-taps and X interchangeably for jumping without even thinking about it. Playing with those controls, there would be times when I needed a jump and went to the control stick, but by the time I realized that I wasn't jumping it would be far too late to do what I had intended.

Anyway, I soon just asked myself is all of that worth the trouble, and it was awkward trying to force the issue of playing with Lucario. Or maybe I simply can't do u-tilt right or something.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
As soon as I saw the Brawl Trailers I couldn't help but notice how awesome Metaknight really was, although I had never seen him before. I began to play Kirby: Nightmare in Dreamland because I had seen you could play as Metaknight when you get 100%, and when I did that I began to like Kirby too. Also, one of the first games I ever played was Wario Land 2. Hence my 3 mains: Metaknight, Wario and Kirby.

Supreme Dirt

King of the Railway
Well, I've already responded, but I've since changed my main.

I main Lucario because he's awesome. A great set of moves with one of the most broken mechanics in the game (aura) makes him awesome. He's also slow and powerful, like Ganondorf, but actually has a double jump that does more than stop his downward momentum.

Oh, and the Lucario boards are pretty cool to hang out in.

PARAK¥Z£

Smash Rookie
I mained TL because he's faster than Link and has better aerials. Over the course of 2 years I've mained *indecisive*

Yoshi
Lucas
Sonic
Ike
Marth
Ike
Peach
Ike
Ice Climbers
Marth
Ness
Link