• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What are your opinions on Project M?

Divinokage

Smash Legend
They are not excuses, it's merely the truth about the character. Things will happen in game and then you'll obviously have to deal with it but it doesn't change the fact that it's pretty damn stupid.

Archangel

Smash Hero
NNID
combat22386
I can still beat most Ike's with Falco or Pit so I'm not to concerned...But anyone who doesn't play a very strong spacie, DDD, Marth, or Ike is probably going to be angry when they bump heads with an Ike main...just saying.

ShroudedOne

Smash Hero
Premium
I feel like Peach will do fine against him. But there is no one around here with a decent Ike to test that.

But I feel terrible whenever I play him. Sorta like when I play Falco in Melee.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
I spent like 5 hours practicing Ike and I still can't recover worth ****. That character takes some actual skill.

Unlike Falco

Soft Serve

softie
Premium
Last time I played a casual Ike my wolf got like 3 stocked. My wolf sucks hard, but I was still taken aback about just how different playing against an Ike was.

Ike definitely has weaknesses and counters though. Faster characters or those with good projectiles seem to keep Ike out well. I'm thinking the spacies, Link, DDD, Marth, Lucas, maybe even Ness, go well against or even wtih Ike. I would hate to be a ganon or a R.O.B main running into an Ike.

cannedbread

Smash Lord
a little joke among my playgroup is that there are no such thing as ike friendlies. the instant anyone picks ike, all fun and games stop and **** gets real.

but anyways, ike just has so many good matchups. thank god zelda v ike feels sort of even. i can camp literally right out of sword range and kick him everytime he decides to jump. ike's air game is asdfjkl; you can but if he commits to using sh aerials then you can definitely stuff him. nayru land cancel into whatever either does mean things to him on shield the problem for me in the matchup is being
offstage, it's literally over because of fsmash, eruption, dtilt, fair, usmash, whatever he decides to edgeguard with. but to compensate zelda can just dash attack a non-sweetspotted aether so his recovery kind of free :3
also qd shenanigans is pretty hetero against zelda she can't do anything about it but like spam nayru or kick or something

Jockmaster

Smash Ace
Welll no I think his recovery is mediocre at best; it isn't good or bad.

The thing is lots of characters have mediocre recovery and nowhere NEAR the onstage game as him (except Falco, the only char that I believe has a positive matchup against Ike)

:phone:

Warhawk

Smash Lord
Is it just me or do Falco's shine->dair combos not work as well in PM? It seems like I can't seem to find the weaker part of the dair animation to send semi-floaties down slower to allow me to beat them to the gound and uptilt/shine/whatever to keep the combo going.

cannedbread

Smash Lord
lol that's dumb. he's not unbeatable, he's just like really good. i love fighting ike, i learn something new about him almost every match.

Divinokage

Smash Legend
lol that's dumb. he's not unbeatable, he's just like really good. i love fighting ike, i learn something new about him almost every match.
Doesn't that worry you? lol.. If Ike at it's base is really easy to use but then he has so much depth with his moves that he's hard to master, then it can become broken if he's already top tier.

cannedbread

Smash Lord
Doesn't that worry you? lol.. If Ike at it's base is really easy to use but then he has so much depth with his moves that he's hard to master, then it can become broken if he's already top tier.
kind of... well yes. i'll just do as best as i can against him. as much as this has been said he could get a nerf in the final builds :3 one can dream.

i think one nerf that would help balance his matchups a bit is if he had 2 more frames of jump start up (one more frame than bowser.) this would help some of the slower, shorter ranged characters to like, not get ***** so hard, and it would make his aerials not as super duper safe and stuff. i think this would be the most reasonable nerf i can think of without making ike garbage tier.

xianglongfa

Smash Apprentice
lol Strongbad, I'm glad the guy who banned me on Smashmods thinks that Ike's recovery takes a lot of skill after 5 hours of practice. Yup.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
lol Strongbad, I'm glad the guy who banned me on Smashmods thinks that Ike's recovery takes a lot of skill after 5 hours of practice. Yup.
>breaks rules
>I temp ban you for breaking the rules
>gets salty about it
>a player that is way better than you will ever be and can perform waveshine oos, doubleshines, moonwalk, perfect wavelands, and more states that a character whose recovery is difficult to be consistent with takes skill
>you try to put ME on blast about it

good stuff, guy.

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
Just had a tournament in MD/VA featuring both Project M and Melee, neither of which were relegated to "side event" status. Project M had over twice as many entrants as Melee (people came from as far as NY and Ohio for it), and the livestream had a lot more viewers while Project M was being shown. Just throwing that out there.

Oh and last weekend we had a Melee tournament with a side Project M tournament, and Project M had more entrants there too :p

Project M is growing.

Shadow Huan

Smash Champion
if the final product is as good as it's hinted to be based off the demo, i could def see it being bigger than melee.

a game with tons of viable characters will be more popular than one with like 10 or so with a few "almost" characters and a bunch of crummy ones.

BOOZER BABY

GHNeko

Sega Stockholm Syndrome.
NNID
GHNeko
NOOOPE.

It's all legal since you dont even touch the Wii's firmware or NAND or anything like that.

P:M can and is recommended to be run through the Hackless method ie through Brawl.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
He said making on playing.

You do technically need to rip the ISO and modify copyrighted files.

But Nintendo says they don't really give two ****s when it comes to people doing mods. So yeah, it's not like Nintendo is going to push anything, ever.

N.A.G.A.C.E

Smash Champion
a little joke among my playgroup is that there are no such thing as ike friendlies. the instant anyone picks ike, all fun and games stop and **** gets real.

but anyways, ike just has so many good matchups. thank god zelda v ike feels sort of even. i can camp literally right out of sword range and kick him everytime he decides to jump. ike's air game is asdfjkl; you can but if he commits to using sh aerials then you can definitely stuff him. nayru land cancel into whatever either does mean things to him on shield the problem for me in the matchup is being
offstage, it's literally over because of fsmash, eruption, dtilt, fair, usmash, whatever he decides to edgeguard with. but to compensate zelda can just dash attack a non-sweetspotted aether so his recovery kind of free :3
also qd shenanigans is pretty hetero against zelda she can't do anything about it but like spam nayru or kick or something
lol i was talking to zhime about zelda v ike and we both agreed its most likely her worse mu

foshio

Smash Journeyman
I think Fox, link, tl, puff, falco and sheik are the best against Ike.. I think if snake has potential and lucas if people played them and perfected their game more...

Jockmaster

Smash Ace
Nah Snake gets ***** by Ike on every stage that is BF size or smaller horizontally. Ike can always approach quick enough to prevent Snake from setting up and zoning him.

I actually believe Mario to have at least a neutral MU.

BJN39

Smash Data Ranger
lol i was talking to zhime about zelda v ike and we both agreed its most likely her worse mu
Yeah, I agree. when I theorycraft about zelda's MUs, (please note "theorycraft") I think this MU is awful for Zelda. Because it seems Zelda thrives off of her B moves, but Ike can outrange Nayru to an extent, he can actually get in fast enough to hit her while she's conjuring a fireball, and his power kills her super quick.

xianglongfa

Smash Apprentice
>breaks rules
>I temp ban you for breaking the rules
>gets salty about it
>a player that is way better than you will ever be and can perform waveshine oos, doubleshines, moonwalk, perfect wavelands, and more states that a character whose recovery is difficult to be consistent with takes skill
>you try to put ME on blast about it

good stuff, guy.
nope you permabanned me when i had no idea about that rule, but that's not the point. and nope you probably aren't better than me but who cares when we both suck anyways right?

Tero.

Smash Champion
How come you guys think D3 actually does good against Ike?
I feel like DDD is just a weaker and slower version of him.

(I haven't played the game that much, so please someone clear this up for me)

GHNeko

Sega Stockholm Syndrome.
NNID
GHNeko
D3 has a better recovery, can survive long vs ike due to weight, has attacks that are just as disjointed as ike's, and his throw and gimp game are miles above ike, which is what helps him win this match. His throw game allows him to easily get ike off the stage, and his disjoints and multijumps help keep him off.

Essentially, ike's weakneses is something that D3 is naturally great at exploiting (poor and/or linear recoveries.)

Edit: and let's not forget the projectiles with huge hitboxes, making sniping easy.

Top Bottom