• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What are your opinions on Project M?

ShroudedOne

Smash Hero
Premium
Falcon is a character centered on extremes, who has rather easy, set combos, and a dash dance that is so good that even a noob could use it to decent effect. So the hate is understandable.

It also doesn't help that he has a super fanbase of people who won't acknowledge that like every other good character, Falcon is lame. That being said, I dunno if I'd be that vocal about it.

Tee ay eye

Smash Hero
i think the PM developers should consider using melee's sound effects

i thought about it/talked about it with some of az's smashers on the road this past weekend, and i'm convinced that melee's sound effects add a subtle but important degree of brutality to the game that makes watching and playing it so much more intense and enjoyable. melee's sound effects are manly as ****.

brawl sound effects are like.... less satisfying than hitting with the tip of roy's sword. if you want to see what i mean, watch any axe match in melee, and then play project M pikachu and pay attention to his nair and his u-smash. it just doesn't have the same effect.

fatman667

Smash Journeyman
i think the PM developers should consider using melee's sound effects

i thought about it/talked about it with some of az's smashers on the road this past weekend, and i'm convinced that melee's sound effects add a subtle but important degree of brutality to the game that makes watching and playing it so much more intense and enjoyable.

brawl sound effects are like.... less satisfying than hitting with the tip of roy's sword
Problem is that it is not possible to modify the sound effects with the hackless Wiis.

:phone:

NNID
dansalvato
Riivolution is currently the only way to replace sound effects, and making Project M Riivolution-only would be silly. =P

DarkMagicX2

The Worst Ganondorf Ever
NNID
DarkMagicX2
3DS FC
5386-7375-0560
I think Project M is absolutely terrific. It gives me a reason to still own a Brawl disc. I no longer regret having not destroyed it long ago. Can't wait until the final version is released, but I know that won't be for quite some time. Interested to see how they try to balance Meta Knight.

Mr.Jackpot

Smash Lord
just because Riivolution won't work on Hackless, Gecko, and USB Loaders doesn't mean that a Melee SFX pack shouldn't come with the Riivolution set. The Brawl SFXs are honestly really awful compared to the Melee ones (knee and sword slashes :(), switching from Riivoluton to USB because my disc drive broke actually made me want to play Project M less.

Revven

FrankerZ
just because Riivolution won't work on Hackless, Gecko, and USB Loaders doesn't mean that a Melee SFX pack shouldn't come with the Riivolution set.
The thing is if we were to do Melee SFX at all, it has to be done perfectly and well. What's out there now are just hit SFX which are not going to please people who are upset/annoyed about the SFX of whiffed attacks like Pikachu's Nair or Marth's sword slashes. What we have now is incomplete. To sit down and do it perfectly would require us to have specifically designed character .pacs with the properly assigned SFX for whatever's replaced on the .brsar, assuming everything can be fit onto the .brsar. That would take a lot of time out of development on the game itself, which as you can see, is still not done.

Melee SFX are by far the last thing you'd ever want us to work on. You won't get them in the next release pre-added in the Riivo pack and you won't probably get them by the time we are actually done with the game itself. Not only would they increase the download size needlessly (when you can just download them off of Brawl Vault) but they also would be incomplete.

We want everything to be as close as possible to each other in compatibility between the different versions to load Project M. That includes SFX, to have different SFX across the different versions causes confusion. Maybe not confusion within this community, but confusion for people who aren't in the know. :V

Tai, we've heard the complaint a bunch of times. It's not so much that "we aren't going to do it", it's that we literally cannot do it. It'll take time and it's not available across all the different methods to load Project M. We're busy working on the game itself, SFX feedback is literally the least of our worries (unless it's about SFX we can actually adjust using what's already in the game).

Yung Mei

Where all da hot anime moms at
there should be a third party working on sound effects, since they really aren't all that important. Or rather, a third party working on the sound effects when the final release comes out

abcool

Smash Ace
I really don't think removing those annoying SFX in Project M is all that hard. They have changed SFX in game before if they replaced it with something that already pre existed in the game. Like if they make all dashing sounds similar to when spacies dash around and remove the SFX on when pikachu nairs etc. That part is easy and then finally using the riivolution Melee SFX sound files. It'll be pretty much complete.

People hate the obnoxious sounds in Brawl like Jiggs/Pika/Falcon dash sounds etc. Which can be replaced in the game with more subtle sounds or completely removed, but i guess it takes time they aren't willing to put in. They barely update us as is, so imagine that.

GhllieShdeKnife

Smash Ace
I was just playing in my 1st project m tournament and my 3rd time playing it. I played as dk and had a really good time. i feel like his down air needs to be even better or he needs some other protection underneath. I also had a really hard time against falco. it feels a little easier than melee but still lacking options against lasers. Pit seemed like a very hard matchup, it seemed like pit had mobility, high priority fast aerials and a seemingly better grab. DK's grab seems better but i think if he could grab right in front of him he would work like he is "supposed" to in my opinion.(ex. 2.51.15 in the link below)I know i made some big mistakes but i think that grab "should" have connected.
ill post the tourney streamed thanks to the FGCC
http://www.twitch.tv/fgccstream/b/340432381

odinNJ

Smash Lord
Falcon is a character centered on extremes, who has rather easy, set combos, and a dash dance that is so good that even a noob could use it to decent effect. So the hate is understandable.

It also doesn't help that he has a super fanbase of people who won't acknowledge that like every other good character, Falcon is lame. That being said, I dunno if I'd be that vocal about it.
Falcons so manlee OMG MARTH AN FACKS RR GAY AND FALCON IS SUPER FAIR AND NOT AT ALL A REALLY BROKEN CHARACTER.

I mean it's not like he has a move with great speed damage trajectory an knock back that gets comboed into by everyoter move he has.

And he's super slow too.

Falcon is so underpowered oohhhh myy goddd.

Yeah so I agree with you XD

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
on P:M "Oh man, I used to love (insert low tier here) but they were always so bad and unplayable. but now thanks to PM, they are good and I'm loving it! the whole game feels great as a whole!"

on SD:R " why are you ruining this game by attempting to balance it?! I liked (low tier here) being bad. NERF PLZ"

this is what I have to deal with

Revven

FrankerZ
on P:M "Oh man, I used to love (insert low tier here) but they were always so bad and unplayable. but now thanks to PM, they are good and I'm loving it! the whole game feels great as a whole!"

on SD:R " why are you ruining this game by attempting to balance it?! I liked (low tier here) being bad. NERF PLZ"

welp.

10chars

abcool

Smash Ace

That is exactly why what i was saying about SD:R to begin with. Melee is 11yrs old. People already accepted the game for what it is. Not only that, but they have put so much man hours into their characters any change to them could be dangerous. You can't go to a tournament and play SD:R and normal Melee. It just wouldn't make any sense. Since SD:R is "bascially" a BETTER Melee. People have come to this acceptance that Melee is perfect the way it is a LONG time ago.

What makes Project M work is the fact that it takes Brawl a game we regretted putting money into and making it into something we wanted Melee 2.0. We have new characters; new matchups; new AT's. An a bonus is it's different enough from Melee where the 2 can share a mutual existence without one making the other seem inferior.

bubbaking

Smash Hero
Baldwin, NY, USA or Alexandria, VA, USA (Pick one)
Abcool's got a point.

The only char I'm truly comfortable with in SDR right now is Samus because she didn't receive huge changes that made her too different from Melee. I'm totally fine with mildly OP things, like a faster dash and that.........usmash. Still, it's fun. I could get into it if it became more popular...

Stevo

Smash Champion
I don't agree with too many of the decisions made in SDR. I would still probably enjoy it for a while, probably even have a lot of fun, but in the long run I can't see myself playing it.

It is still new though.

Jockmaster

Smash Ace
Well, after watching last night on a 2.5 stream (the one Strong Bad was playing on), it's official that the best doubles team is double DK

****ing fthrow combos

Shadic

Alakadoof?
NNID
Shadoof
Figured I'd give this a bump:

2.5 is now released! The game feels far better now, and four more characters. If you didn't like how it felt before, I'd suggest trying it out!

abcool

Smash Ace
My opinion on 2.5 is that it is better after every demo. It's till not Melee, but it's still great because it feels like it's own game instead of making Melee feel inferior to it.

The things i love about PM now over Melee is the difference in online since the 2 frame input delay has been fixed the online only suffers from slowdowns, this is a HUGE improvement over what we had before. I actually really love wifi now. My main Wario was nice to me from the first demo, but this new Wario i just absolutely LOVE. OMG!!! This Demo is legit and Fox/Falco feel close to very close to their Melee selves. If you hate PM now, i think it is because you want to hate it or you are a huge fan of light shielding etc.

Conclusion: Try it, you will like it. It's not 100% Melee, but that is a good thing because both games can co-exist(For now) It's like 96% Melee IMO though. Ledgetech, momentum stacking, frame delay, i think throws are fixed or close to it, so give it a go. I'll give it an 9/10

Lovage

Smash Hero
my true hope/desire is that everybody who still plays vanilla brawl competitively switches to project M

and then in 2015 switch to SD remix

edit;
I'll give it an 9/10

eh, i havnt played 2.5 or w/e but i give project M an 8.2/10.
for reference brawl was a 2.6/10 and melees an 11/10

SpiderMad

Smash Master
I didn't think Brawl players would switch to P:M without a bunch of coaxing, but I chatted with a couple different people the last P:M/Melee tournament I was at who pretty much just got tired of MK (Chicago Brawl doesn't seem to enforce a MK ban) and just switched to P:M lol

Lovage

Smash Hero
the reason it's cool is because certain whole communities abandon vanilla brawl in favor of project M

i hope that happens to the whole world

bubbaking

Smash Hero
Baldwin, NY, USA or Alexandria, VA, USA (Pick one)
Nowhere really enforces an MK ban as a whole anymore, not after the URC was disbanded. I don't think Brawl will be dying in its current hot-spots anytime soon, namely NJ/NY and MD/VA. There are just too many top players in these regions influencing its growth. I recently spoke to players like Vinnie and Raptor and they said that they didn't really want much to do with P:M, although that may have changed, who knows?

The things i love about PM now over Melee is the difference in online since the 2 frame input delay has been fixed the online only suffers from slowdowns, this is a HUGE improvement over what we had before.
Actuallyyyy......I believe the WiFi version still has the 0-2 frame delay... :ohwell:

my true hope/desire is that everybody who still plays vanilla brawl competitively switches to project M

and then in 2015 switch to SD remix
If SDR ever gets balanced properly. :troll:

Ftr, I play all Smashes competitively, and that includes Brawl. :cool::shades:

abcool

Smash Ace
wait....you saying there is 0 delay on wifi now? :O
It still feels slow with bad connections, but the input delay doesn't feel as prevelant as it use to. You have to test it out, but when i played it was smooth. You might feel a frame of lag though. I think before the 2 frame delay and the lag from online and an extra input lag made it feel terrible, where now everything else is factored in EXCEPT the 2 frame delay.

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
Granted SDR isn't balanced right now, but soon everyone will be at least C tier, and thus semi viable.

Right now, bowser, kirby, and ness went from garbage to S tier in one demo with like 3 changes.

Fly_Amanita

Master of Caribou
My understanding is that the point of this topic is to get Melee players' thoughts PM, so moving it to the PM boards does not seem appropriate to me.

I cannot get a real good opinion of P:M yet. I enjoy the smash mechanics for the series. But, the best enjoyment in the series is the idea of improving and getting better at something. Since P:M is still changing, any time I put into getting better at it will feel wasted when there could be another huge mechanic change or character change in the next update.

I hope that once P:M reaches a full build it won't be tampered with at all. I suppose minor tweaks such as those between PAL and NTSC with percentage, weight, etc. are fine if it helps balance. But huge changes like Snake being able to air dodge out of UpB in v1.0, then not being able to in v2.0 is not alright.

Overall, I am glad the power we finally have at being able to come up with mods to make a new game, but without the finality of a set version I don't think I'll ever truly enjoy it. Being updated every 6 months for the next 5 years with something new to the characters movesets or game mechanics will just ruin it. Playing vbrawl would be more satisfying than that.

Top Bottom