• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What Advantages has Kirby Lost in the Transition from Melee to Brawl?

Status
Not open for further replies.

A1lion835

Smash Champion
Lurking the Kirby Social thread with my rock buds.
This thread is to share what you think was better for Kirby in Melee. While this thread will probably quickly fail (for the obvious reason of Kirby game basically just going up from Melee), everyone knows a few good things from Melee which are gone in Brawl. This isn't specifically about Kirby game, it could also be about game mechanics, as you'll see in my thoughts. This is similar to the Kirby metagame discussion, but here we'll specifically talk about negative metagame changes and advantages that have been taken away in the transition from Melee to Brawl. Here are my thoughts:

For one thing, Kirby had one thing that few characters had in Melee: a good shield:body size ratio. Now other people, for example bowser, have bigger shields than in Melee. Also, while most (including me) prefer a buffed Kirby to a Kirby with insane Kirbycide options, I think they could have afforded to tone down the Kirbycide a little less. Maybe let him SD cancel with swallowcide, or have the u-throw work w/o a ceiling.

Enjoy.

momochuu

Smash Legend
NNID
Momochuu
3DS FC
2380-3247-9039
This is probably gonna get locked too.

metaXzero

Smash Champion
Loss of throw Kirbycides and Swallowcides can no longer be SD canceled, U-air isn't a finisher anymore (debatable since it now gives F-throw-->U-air-->??? combos), D-tilt and D-Smash aren't as good for edgeguarding due to auto-sweetspot (gay), and Swallow/Inhale has much less priority and range.

Retroend

Retro Gamer
NNID
Re7ron
3DS FC
3669-1436-3958
Switch FC
SW-5947-2141-6122
his kirbycides. thats what he lost from melee. and the range of his aerials as well. i wish he still had them...

Delta Z

Smash Journeyman
Kirbycides are harder to do now, but at least he can kill before ~150% without 'em now. :laugh:

...and that's pretty much it. In Brawl he's more like what he was like in the first Smash: a light-weight powerhouse that you don't want catching you in the air. U-air has significantly less knockback, but it still does good damage and works with combos. B-air has a little less knockback, but Kirby can Wall of Pain with it now. FC is actually fast, and Kirby keeps his jumps if he gets hit out of it (which is pretty hard to do). The new air hammer is actually good, and his kill moves actually kill early enough to use (earlier than average now, actually :rolleyes:).
...and Swallow/Inhale has much less priority and range.
But when Kirby starts inhaling someone it counts as a grab, giving Kirby armor frames.

Collective of Bears

King of Hug Style
NNID
Gark430
3DS FC
1805-3069-0371
I think his n-air was faster in melee, but had a smaller hitbox. Maybe I'm wrong.
Faster, maybe. But as far as hitbox goes, there is no real room for improvement or decreasing. The attack reached as far as his limbs did (unstretched). So unless Kirby was made bigger or smaller, it wouldn't have changed.

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
I don't understand the point of this topic or what knowledge you could possibly gain from it. They are two different games with different engines.

I'll leave it open for now I just really don't understand the point of this topic.

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
If Kirby had Melee's Kirbycide, he would be too broken. Mainley, you would need to get one stock from your foe, then Kirby would just have to Kirbycide them the whole match and call it a day. Don't forget that you can't break out the new Kirby throws either.

But really, all Kirby had was Kirbycide, or reverse Final Cutter mind games. :D

Kewkky

Uhh... Look at my status.
Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
His throwing-kirbycides. Uthrow and bthrow will never be the same... :(

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
Kirby
sucked
HARD
in Melee.

._.

:mad:

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
Thanks for the useless bump, Loin.
Kirby had no advantages. Even worse dash attack, horrible hammer.

I don't care much for the throws.

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
They opponent can just press a button to get out of it lawl

Lovely

Smash Lord
♣ Just the range of his attacks and his Up Tilt killing power has been fixed, other than that, Kirby pretty wasn't the characters choice of fun and serious matches. ♥

|RK|

Smash Marketer
His Final Cutter. It has been nerfed in only one area, though, and that is the projectile. In the right position in Melee, the cutter's projectile could carry the opponent further and hit multiple times, possibly even doing a good 30% if the positioning was absolutely perfect. Not necessarily viable, but still a nerf.

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
Ummm... haven't we already had like 20 of these threads before? Hell, A1, haven't you started like 3 of them?

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
dtilt was beast in melee but its meh in brawl
You seem to have that wrong. Kirby's D-tilt is better in Brawl as far as speed (IASA, buffering, but not start-up) and for combos (it can trip). Kirby's D-tilt in Melee was only good for it's start-up (the same speed as in Brawl) and for it's reach while crouching. Since crouch canceling is no longer applied in Brawl, the D-tilt is a little more vulnerable than in Melee, plus a lot of character's seemed "taller" in Melee so many of their grabs and attacks would miss over a crouching Kirby in Melee, but not any more in Brawl. Additionally ledge grabbing in Melee was less effective which made D-tilting opponents as they recovered more effective for edge guarding in Melee than in Brawl.

Overall, the ability to trip with D-tilt in Brawl is more effective than the range offered in Melee's D-tilt. All other advantages of Kirby's D-tilt in Melee was mostly due to the game engine, not the attack itself.

But we all know Kirby's D-tilt was best in SSB1... ;)

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
Ah, so you're right. Sorry about that. Why was this revived?
Xiivi, care to close this? These threads really don't add much...

Xiivi

So much for friendship huh...
Premium
BRoomer
Much like Hylian did way back when, I decided to let it sit out and see if anything productive/constructive came from it. Yeah, nothing really did. :/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom