• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Weekly Character Discussion: Samus

Rhyme

Smash Lord
I am not getting any move regeneration with Lucario or Samus...
I am getting an attack to the lowest point of power and knockback, and then I use around... 8-10 grabs attacks with either one, and then I try the first attack to see if the damage and knockback have returned to maximum power. The attacks only go up one increment of power.

I will get a vid up...
Do you need to complete a throw animation for all of those grab attacks to register, or is just doing the grab attack sufficient?

I have a question: what do Samus players do to get around very short characters like Kirby or Olimar?
Bombs can also be used to change your momentum and make you a smaller hitbox to escape from sketchy situations (which is good since Samus is a frickin' Amazonian now).

For shorties you can use Ftitls and retreating Fairs with some reliability. Also, you can expect that their short-statured approach would be pretty unreachable as well, so stuffing them with a Dair can both protect you and give you a combo setup.

I'm sorry that I can't remember, but to whoever brought up the fastfalled Fair to Dtilt/Fsmash combo...when not at kill percentages, that strat works wonders as a free lead into a full-jumped Uair, which itself has combo opprotunity.

ll Mafia ll

Smash Apprentice
@ Rhyme.

For the grab attacks to register, the grab attacks need to be clean, separate hits.
Sometimes, when Samus grab attacks too fast, it wont register as separate hits, so it does nothing for the decay.
There is probably a set grab attack rhythm that regenerates moves as efficiently as possible, but I have not done further testing.

I do think that the throw also counts as "one" move.

And... I made the vids and the stuff about the Fair D tilt.
Yes, it would make sense that it leads up to good combos as the d tilt pops them up into the air.

MiraiGen

Smash Ace
I know Zair doesn't decay, but does it count as hits for the purpose of lightening decay?

Because if so...Samus isn't all bad at all, since she can reset her KO power with a handful of Zairs and a grab. I should play her more.

Rhyme

Smash Lord
I don't think this is an issue of Samus being a character who is psudo-immune to decay. Rather, Samus just has an easier time regenerating moves than some other characters do.

The Fair/Uair -> Dtilt (grounded opponent)/Uair (airborn opponent) is fine and dandy, but what about a reliable way to combo into a kill move when the opponent is airborn at high damage? I'm talking, of course, about the middle damages between wanting to tack on more damage and being able to kill with an upB.

0RLY

A great conversation filler at bars and parties
Yeah, but Kirby's spike is multi-hit and Ganon's spike has an uber, massive, long lasting, giant hitbox. Yeah, it's nice to know you can do this, but it's probably easier to do when your foe has >100% damage so that their ledge get-up animation is longer. Nonetheless, it was helpful and some good insight.

hotgarbage

Smash Lord
Aw, Hylian never shared his insight with us :[. But anyways I may have to dabble with samus a bit. She seems like a very interesting character...

Rohins

Smash Lord
NNID
Rohins
Aw, Hylian never shared his insight with us :[. But anyways I may have to dabble with samus a bit. She seems like a very interesting character...
He actually shared a lot. He was the first to post about zair, shared his experience vs Marth, and uploaded a ton of videos of Samus in the beginning.

hotgarbage

Smash Lord
Eh, I was talking specifically about his post he never got to finish in the SBR discussion.

mimic_king

Smash Lord
Samus isn't good in this game. Her beam is very weak now, her attacks are slower and less powerful, her aerials suck, and her missiles are a bit weaker, but they weren't very strong in melee either. She's too slow to be high tier, and she can't be used for close range. All she is meant for is spamming projectiles.

Overall, she isn't good. If I were you, I would choose someone else.

n00b

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
peasantstat.us
3DS FC
1693-1292-7210
She's too slow to be high tier, and she can't be used for close range. All she is mean't for is spamming projectiles.

Some of the most ignorant words I've read so far..

neon..?

Smash Journeyman
mimic your such a tier ***** just because you use mk you think your good. he is no skill at all. play a real character come on.

mimic_king

Smash Lord
I am not exactly an MK mainer. I play as MK more than other characters, but I have no main. I'm trying to find one.

And it seems like you use Roy in melee. Is he a real character?

n00b

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
peasantstat.us
3DS FC
1693-1292-7210
Hay guise lets link a sirlin article and leave with the satisfaction of pwning someone!!11 on the internet!

MasterCheeze

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MasterCheeze
3DS FC
0688-5933-2030
Hm. I figured out something with Samus myself today, and maybe it's something new, I dunno, but I'll share it with everyone here: SH, Uair, Uair, UTilt is a kinda fun thing to do. The second Uair is auto-canceled into a nice UTilt, and I just love how it sounds. Schchch, schch, whoo, thoop.

MiraiGen

Smash Ace
Samus isn't good in this game. Her beam is very weak now, her attacks are slower and less powerful, her aerials suck, and her missiles are a bit weaker, but they weren't very strong in melee either. She's too slow to be high tier, and she can't be used for close range. All she is meant for is spamming projectiles.

Ooh, very nice troll post. I like the part where you incurred 'spamming' as a negative aspect, that as classy.

Moving on.

The second Uair is auto-canceled into a nice UTilt, and I just love how it sounds.
Ooh, I'll have to try that.

Serris

ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)
NNID
Herple-Derples
3DS FC
5043-4507-3351
Playing with Samus is more about strategy and gauging your opponent's response, and less about winning. She's a very defensive character.

Sure, some Samuses play to win, but do we honestly expect to top Meta Knight at a tournament any time soon?

Thought so.

mimic_king

Smash Lord
people expect to top MK. Like in melee when sheik was number 1 for a very long time before being topped by fox.

You see, people want to be able to beat MK and make him not one of the best.

Serris

ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)
NNID
Herple-Derples
3DS FC
5043-4507-3351
people expect to top MK. Like in melee when sheik was number 1 for a very long time before being topped by fox.

You see, people want to be able to beat MK and make him not one of the best.
But Meta Knight is faster than Samus, has a better approach than Samus, controls the air better than Samus, and can get off three attacks in the time it takes her to pull off one.

Unless she develops a game-breaking AT soon, it's going to be impossible for her to compete with him.

Samus < Meta Knight.

Mr.Fakeman

Smash Journeyman
When you think about it, Samus has so many advantages other than range. She has speed and power too! But I can understand why Samus is nerfed. She was too good in Melee and with that super wave dash glitch. They were the days though, however there are only alot more things to be discovered with Samus. I'm quite new to the Samus scene and already I've been able to be interested in her teching, Missle canceling, Ledge grab cancelling (very good technique since the invicibility frames respawn every start of a ledge grab) and etc. I'm just saying what I think since, afterall this is a weekly disscussion. :)

powell651234

Smash Apprentice
her aerials dont suck...they just don't have a TON of uses, you have to use the right one at the right place.

Undrdog

#1 Super Grimer!
BRoomer
The fact alone that her aerials autocancel (ALL OF THEM) makes them insanely good.

sMexy-Blu

Smash Lord
her aerials dont suck...they just don't have a TON of uses, you have to use the right one at the right place.

Her aerials are pretty good though the only flaw is her Nair is way weaker than it was in Meelee and she has a nice spike.

sMexy-Blu

Smash Lord
Well you 2 are being jerks so gtfo and lets get back to the real subject capiche?

spacemanspiff

Smash Journeyman
Much like your posts?
haha i was thinking the same thing.

F air is the only aerial with a disjointed hitbox. to be honest i use it more than any other aerial. helps space and fill juggles... and in brawl all combo's are glorified juggles... therefore its useful.

though i only really just started picking up samus so i could probably use a bit of work and i don't wanna go back to previous posts. so for throw uses does anyone have any tips? i find D throw not too bad for setting up juggles. thats all i've gotten so far... and U throw i guess

Top Bottom