• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wavedashing in Brawl... (Hacked version)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MuBa

Smash Lord
Shield Canceling wouldn't be a good idea imo because you can automatically grab the opponent while doing a multi-hit based attack.

For my suggestion I'd say how about trying to make it where whenever you press the Shield button (L or R or Z) after performing an aerial and on the ground, divide the land lag by 2? ( I dunno if that works or not I'm just throwing in my 2 cents with my limited knowledge)

Or better yet take a look at how Melee's worked and you may get a better idea from it.

Much appreciated Phantom Wings.

Wind Owl

Smash Lord
Or just make it harder to do. Like make it do a press rather than holding. And if it does a full L-cancel make it hard to do.

I know it was possible in SSB64, but it was crazy hard to pull off, but it killed all lag.
I dunno, this will never be standard, EVER, so I like it the way it is.

Also, Z-cancelling was about the same window as L-cancelling, if not easier.
Ike + L-cancelling = greatness.
YES!
Shield Canceling wouldn't be a good idea imo because you can automatically grab the opponent while doing a multi-hit based attack.
Um, you could do that in SSB64, pretty much, just took a little more timing. Mario, in particular, did it all the time.
EDIT: Except... Oh god... Did we just create lagless turtles? WHAT HAS SCIENCE DONE?!

For my suggestion I'd say how about trying to make it where whenever you press the Shield button (L or R or Z) after performing an aerial and on the ground, divide the land lag by 2? ( I dunno if that works or not I'm just throwing in my 2 cents with my limited knowledge)

Or better yet take a look at how Melee's worked and you may get a better idea from it.
He already said he was done, and plus the stuff you're suggesting would be easy to code but very difficult to hack.

Could anyone who's tested this code tell me if the shield actually comes up? Because I believe that right there is about 9 frames of lag... Meaning MK still has an advantage, lolz.

SilentFalcon

Smash Apprentice
OMG!!!! I watched some Brawl Wavedashing Vids, and I jizzed in my pants. HOLY ****!!!!

I want L-canceling like in melee, so I can SHFFL!!! (Olimar (not to mention every other char) shffling would be really scary)

Ok...

Now that my rant is over...

Seriously, is the SBR considering this as a tournament format? I've gotta say, if we can get these codes perfectly, it will make a real competitive zone for Brawl. Much more so than the Brawl now.

Just think.... Advanced Tech.'s + Brawl = Amazing

I want some awesome tournaments!

SF

Wind Owl

Smash Lord
OMG!!!! I watched some Brawl Wavedashing Vids, and I jizzed in my pants. HOLY ****!!!!
That's... I did not need to know that.

Seriously, is the SBR considering this as a tournament format? I've gotta say, if we can get these codes perfectly, it will make a real competitive zone for Brawl. Much more so than the Brawl now.
As much as I agree, the SBR would not consider this as a standard in a million years. That said, it's not unreasonable to expect that there will be deviant/side tournaments with these rules.

B.W.

Smash Champion
I dunno, this will never be standard, EVER, so I like it the way it is.

Also, Z-cancelling was about the same window as L-cancelling, if not easier.
I don't expect it to be standard. But it'd definitely be more fun to play Brawl this way.

Also SSB64 it was still called L-Canceling. Not Z-Canceling. The letter doesn't have to do with the button you press. L is short for Lag.

And I believe it was actually harder to do in SSB64, but in turn the results were different. Rather than lag being halved it went away completely.

MuBa

Smash Lord
And here's the weird part. As much as I've tried to make MK broken...he isn't as much, well until someone figures out how to use him via wavedashing and Shield-Canceling.

But then again with Triangle jumping I can see MK being as the new Magneto from MVC2....scary thought.

On another note Shield canceling enables you to do an aerial and IMMEDIATELY roll dodge away form your opponent or on the other side to get a free grab off.

metayoshi

Smash Cadet
Man, oh man... As much as I loved wavedashing Melee and L-cancelling in Melee and SSB64, I just don't like the idea of hacking Brawl to make it fit the Melee competitive style. It seems too wrong for me. See, when wavedashing was discovered and it was used in Melee, I didn't mind because it was a game mechanic that was [unintentionally] part of the game. Brawl didn't have it, and I was slightly disappointed, but I accepted that this game was not Melee and I enjoyed it for what it was. I guess I can see people hacking Brawl to put in wavedashing, but I just won't do it. Brawl is Brawl to me. I'll just play Melee when I want to play Melee.

Wind Owl

Smash Lord
Meh, if it bothers you, don't play with it. It'll never become standard, so don't worry about that.
I don't expect it to be standard. But it'd definitely be more fun to play Brawl this way.

Also SSB64 it was still called L-Canceling. Not Z-Canceling. The letter doesn't have to do with the button you press. L is short for Lag.

And I believe it was actually harder to do in SSB64, but in turn the results were different. Rather than lag being halved it went away completely.
It is most certainly called Z-canceling. I know full well that the 'L' in Melee's cancel stands for 'lag,' but the SSB64 variety is absolutely 'Z'. And like I said, it's easier to do. You don't (can't) fastfall aerials so you fall a lot slower, giving you more time to prepare for it. Please don't talk to me like I don't know what I'm talking about when clearly you do not know yourself.

Wind Owl

Smash Lord
On another note Shield canceling enables you to do an aerial and IMMEDIATELY roll dodge away form your opponent or on the other side to get a free grab off.
Hm, so the shield actually comes out when you S-cancel (yeah I just did that) if you don't buffer a roll/spotdodge?
And couldn't you just get a free grab off by cancelling the lag into a shieldgrab?

EDIT: Oh **** son, I just double posted! It's getting late; I forgot to edit this into my last post D:

metayoshi

Smash Cadet
Meh, if it bothers you, don't play with it. It'll never become standard, so don't worry about that.

It is most certainly called Z-canceling. I know full well that the 'L' in Melee's cancel stands for 'lag,' but the SSB64 variety is absolutely 'Z'. And like I said, it's easier to do. You don't (can't) fastfall aerials so you fall a lot slower, giving you more time to prepare for it. Please don't talk to me like I don't know what I'm talking about when clearly you do not know yourself.
Hmm.. Last time I played SSB64, Z-cancelling was much harder than L-cancelling in Melee, especially due to the fact that it completely cancelled the lag animation instead of just speeding it up, and since I didn't have a quick left forefinger, it would almost bring me immediately to shield. Well, that's just my experience.

M15t3R E

Smash Master
=]

These hacks corrupt your saved file and eventually force you to erase it. It'll NEVER become part of the competitive Brawl scene, save for possibly a few localized smashfests here and there with low attendance.
Plus, I'm almost positive these type of hacks would cause a crash if used on WiFi.
The hacks are stupid, IMO. It'll never become anything big.
Go play Melee if you are that nostalgic, SRSLY!

B.W.

Smash Champion

http://super-smash-bros.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Techniques_(SSB)
http://super-smash-bros.wikia.com/wiki/Short_hop_fast_fall_l-cancel
http://super-smash-bros.wikia.com/wiki/L-canceling

Our very own wiki says you're wrong.

L-canceling was even first named in SSB64. It's called L-canceling in SSB64 because you are in fact canceling the lag.

Either way, L-canceling in SSB64 being harder than in Melee, or easier than in Melee, doesn't much matter as we're discussing a hack for Brawl.

If a hack were to be made for this I would say it should be at least somewhat difficult to do, but take away all the lag, as it may not be possible to add hitstun to the game. And even with hitstun the game moves awfully slow, this would be another thing to help speed it up.

EDIT: Just remembered, that Phantom Wings said he wasn't going to do anymore hacks though. Or at least not for a while, so we may be SOL with any of this all together until someone comes along that knows how to and feels like doing this, or Phantom Wings decides to come back to this.

Makkun

Smash Journeyman
SOooo HOW Do you do this?!
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=199810

Edit:
These hacks corrupt your saved file and eventually force you to erase it. It'll NEVER become part of the competitive Brawl scene, save for possibly a few localized smashfests here and there with low attendance.
Plus, I'm almost positive these type of hacks would cause a crash if used on WiFi.
The hacks are stupid, IMO. It'll never become anything big.
Go play Melee if you are that nostalgic, SRSLY!

Stop trolling. It does not "crash" WiFi, Falco400 was owning me with wavedashing last night on WiFi and it worked perfectly. I also do not see how these hacks could affect your save file. Yes, I see how OTHER hacks could, but not these.

Stop trolling.

Revven

FrankerZ
EDIT: Just remembered, that Phantom Wings said he wasn't going to do anymore hacks though. Or at least not for a while, so we may be SOL with any of this all together until someone comes along that knows how to and feels like doing this, or Phantom Wings decides to come back to this.
He probably stopped with SSBM-like stuff because of all the ungrateful people (i.e the one he replied to on the last page). He was probably very irritated by it hence why he's stopped. It doesn't mean though that he can't change the L-Canceling code because it technically is just a change, not a request.

I asked him... dunno if he'll change anything for the "L-Cancel" code.

Someone7

Smash Apprentice
I for one am very grateful to Phantom Wings for all his interesting work. Please don't listen to the ******** teenage detractors.

Also, Falco400, can you do the samething with this like you did the no-tripping code for me? I still don't have access to any Windows machines to run the code manager.

Eggm

Smash Hero
I don't think brawl's shield system should be changed at all, its one of the few aspects of brawl that actually added depth. Shield camping wont' be so broken with a little extra hit stun (meaning more shield stun).

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter
I don't think brawl's shield system should be changed at all, its one of the few aspects of brawl that actually added depth. Shield camping wont' be so broken with a little extra hit stun (meaning more shield stun).
agreed, just add more hitstun (shieldwise of course) and it would play perfectly.

link2702

Smash Champion
this disgusts me <_< why can't people just accept that brawl is NOT melee, and play brawl the way it was meant to be played, I don't feel like going on about all the reasons why this disapoints me, so I'll just leave ya'll with a quote from someoen on another website i found.

I hope that wavedashing will NOT lol :) (don't flame) make it to the tournament scene for brawl. I think that wavedashing would turn brawl into melee. Brawl is a different game and wavedashing was removed so that more people could compete, I would not enjoy going to my local and state tournaments only to see hacked games being played. I enjoy going to tournaments where the game is played the way it was programmed not the way someone else decided it should be.

Eggm

Smash Hero
Yo, how about you just go to brawl tournaments and leave this thread alone then link? I'm personally just planning to play a modded brawl that's like melee with my friends and maybe a side tournament or something. Its not gonna affect you if this thread annoys you that much just leave it. Idiot.

link2702

Smash Champion
Yo, how about you just go to brawl tournaments and leave this thread alone then link? I'm personally just planning to play a modded brawl that's like melee with my friends and maybe a side tournament or something. Its not gonna affect you if this thread annoys you that much just leave it. Idiot.
i'm just disapointed by the fact that people can't accep that brawl IS NOT MELEE, so they feel they HAVE to turn it INTO melee <_< I didn't mind wavedashing in melee, i did it all the time, IN MELEE, if people wanna wavedash that badly, then just play melee, i'd be just as disapointed if someone felt that "the sliding Usmash in brawl is pretty useful, I'm gonna hack melee so certain characters like link can have the sliding USmash in melee as well"

OmegaXXII

^please don't bring this Brawl vs. Melee debate up, it's unnecessary, besides, I think people here want to play with wavedashing in Brawl because well... of all the new characters such as Sonic and Wario who weren't previosly in Melee so i don't see anything wrong with it.

link2702

Smash Champion
^please don't bring this Brawl vs. Melee debate up, it's unnecessary, besides, I think people here want to play with wavedashing in Brawl because well... of all the new characters such as Sonic and Wario who weren't previosly in Melee so i don't see anything wrong with it.
i'm still disapointed by the fact that they felt that they HAD to hack it in, I hope that this NEVER gets decided to be part of the competitive scene of brawl, or that somehow, some idiot decides, "hey, lets make this part of the tourny scene, where each tourny is held with a hacked ver. of brawl that includes wavedashing and no tripping" like the person I had quoted said, i REALLY hope this never becomes part of the tournies in brawl, I enjoy playing the game the way it was programmed, NOT the way someone ELSE feels it should be played.

Oracle

Smash Master
i'm still disapointed by the fact that they felt that they HAD to hack it in, I hope that this NEVER gets decided to be part of the competitive scene of brawl, or that somehow, some idiot decides, "hey, lets make this part of the tourny scene, where each tourny is held with a hacked ver. of brawl that includes wavedashing and no tripping" like the person I had quoted said, i REALLY hope this never becomes part of the tournies in brawl, I enjoy playing the game the way it was programmed, NOT the way someone ELSE feels it should be played.
Brawl is one of the most uncompetitive fighting games in existence. Adding advanced tech's made it better. Melee was much better than brawl competitively, so adding things that were in melee would help Brawl out.

And playing the way that the game was programmed means playing ffa all items on temple.

Also, does anyone know if there are codes for knockback reduction and hitstun?

MuBa

Smash Lord
i'm just disapointed by the fact that people can't accep that brawl IS NOT MELEE, so they feel they HAVE to turn it INTO melee <_< I didn't mind wavedashing in melee, i did it all the time, IN MELEE, if people wanna wavedash that badly, then just play melee, i'd be just as disapointed if someone felt that "the sliding Usmash in brawl is pretty useful, I'm gonna hack melee so certain characters like link can have the sliding USmash in melee as well"
This isn't going to be mainstream UNLESS it's wanted by popular demand. So what we're going to do for now is hold small side-tourneys for people to get a feel of.

Melee's style of gameplay is perfect for movement flexibility which makes the game rather exciting to watch and play.

Now when people say that if you want to wavedash so badly, then play Melee, it's not valid at all because there are certain characters and stages that Melee doesn't have like Brawl does.

Simply put people just want the Brawl characters/stages with the perfect physics that can make the game a whole lot deeper and competitive in which we currently see Melee's physics as.

link2702

Smash Champion
Brawl is one of the most uncompetitive fighting games in existence. Adding advanced tech's made it better. Melee was much better than brawl competitively, so adding things that were in melee would help Brawl out.

And playing the way that the game was programmed means playing ffa all items on temple.

Also, does anyone know if there are codes for knockback reduction and hitstun?
:/ no, i said the way brawl was PROGRAMMED, programmed, means, that you can still play it without items, and on neutral stages, you don't have to go FFAs and items on, like sakurai wants alot of people to play, BUT TO HACK THE GAME SO IT HAS WAVEDASHING AND MELEE TECHS, thats NOT how it was PROGRAMMED.

and like i siad before, if you're that desperate, then just go play melee, and leave brawl alone, your not making brawl "better" by hacking it, your just forcing the game to be melee, which it's not, brawl =/= melee.

MuBa

Smash Lord
:/ no, i said the way brawl was PROGRAMMED, programmed, means, that you can still play it without items, and on neutral stages, you don't have to go FFAs and items on, like sakurai wants alot of people to play, BUT TO HACK THE GAME SO IT HAS WAVEDASHING AND MELEE TECHS, thats NOT how it was PROGRAMMED.

and like i siad before, if you're that desperate, then just go play melee, and leave brawl alone, your not making brawl "better" by hacking it, your just forcing the game to be melee, which it's not, brawl =/= melee.

Let's not stray this into a Brawl vs. Melee debate like hundreds of threads have been.

This thread is about wavedashing in Brawl. We're not putting this in any HUGE tournaments YET until this concept becomes popular.

Also we bought the game for $50 and are entitled to do whatever we want with it, be it using a cheating device.

link2702

Smash Champion
Let's not stray this into a Brawl vs. Melee debate like hundreds of threads have been.

This thread is about wavedashing in Brawl. We're not putting this in any HUGE tournaments YET until this concept becomes popular.

Also we bought the game for $50 and are entitled to do whatever we want with it, be it using a cheating device.
like I siad, I hope it NEVER becomes part of the tournament scene, play the game the way it was programmed, not hack it so people can play it the way THEY feel it should be played, hacking a games physics so people can play it in tournaments THAT way, is just flat out wrong.

xxvic1ousxx

Smash Cadet
this disgusts me <_< why can't people just accept that brawl is NOT melee, and play brawl the way it was meant to be played, I don't feel like going on about all the reasons why this disapoints me, so I'll just leave ya'll with a quote from someoen on another website i found.
I was under the impression that the removal of wavedashing & L-canceling, less hitstun, slowing down the game and making it floatier were decisions by Sakurai because he didn't want Brawl to be a competitive game at all. Not so it could more accessible to lesser skilled players.

link2702

Smash Champion
I was under the impression that the removal of wavedashing & L-canceling, less hitstun, slowing down the game and making it floatier were decisions by Sakurai because he didn't want Brawl to be a competitive game at all. Not so it could more accessible to lesser skilled players.
i underlined the main part of the quote, I know sakurai removed all this so that brawl would NOT become competitive, I'm angry about all this because people HACKED brawl, to turn it into Melee2.0, thats why i'm mad, because people hacked the game so it would play like melee, instead of just accepting brawl as it is, if people would just accept that they're two different games, i'm sure people would have more fun with brawl.

OmegaXXII

like I siad, I hope it NEVER becomes part of the tournament scene, play the game the way it was programmed, not hack it so people can play it the way THEY feel it should be played, hacking a games physics so people can play it in tournaments THAT way, is just flat out wrong.

I somewhat agree with you for Brawl hacks not being tourney standards, but if you insist for everybody else to play it on "how it's programmed to play" then I say just don't play it with hacks at all, and don't worry I dounbt "any" hack will ever become tourney viable because of the stipulations between players.

MuBa

Smash Lord

I somewhat agree with you for Brawl hacks not being tourney standards, but if you insist for everybody else to play it on "how it's programmed to play" then I say just don't play it with hacks at all, and don't worry I dounbt "any" hack will ever become tourney viable because of the stipulations between players.
Only time will tell...

This discovery is quite the hot topic as of now. It's not as simple as "No tripping" and whatnot. This is BIG and many people would want to have this as a tourney standard. But only for that to happen we have to do this in small steps where only side tournaments can do that.

Heavyarms2050

Smash Ace
i underlined the main part of the quote, I know sakurai removed all this so that brawl would NOT become competitive, I'm angry about all this because people HACKED brawl, to turn it into Melee2.0, thats why i'm mad, because people hacked the game so it would play like melee, instead of just accepting brawl as it is, if people would just accept that they're two different games, i'm sure people would have more fun with brawl.
you can always have separate tournament

Makkun

Smash Journeyman
I'm going to just start reporting ANY post that says something along the lines of "If you want Melee, play Melee.", "This will not be in standard tournaments." or anything else along the lines of "Melee vs Brawl" or "Stop hacking Brawl."

It's spam, and it isn't even affecting you, get over it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom