• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wavedashing in Brawl... (Hacked version)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Revven

FrankerZ
I have a quick question does having more codes (not turned on just having them) make the game more prone to freezing because I don't see how anyone can play with this code with the luck I am having. Can somebody who has not had his game freeze once please tell me what codes they have on? Aside from the constant freezing (especially in 4p matches) this code is great! Now all we need (in my opinion) is a speed modifier ala the atk/def/trip ratio codes.
Use the newest code on Page 59, also, I only have this on and No Tripping (along with replays longer than three minutes) hasn't frozen on me once yet. Just FYI, it's for NTSC-U not PAL so that may be why you're having trouble. Otherwise, use the new code I reposted on paage 59 (PW's final update unless there are more bugs)

Problem2

Smash Champion
NNID
Problem0
There's one flaw in the Airdodging mechanics right now...

You're able to airdodge after using some character's upBs. The only one's I've tested were Snake's and G&W's. I can only assume that ROB, Sonic, Pit (maybe) and any other characters who are able to attack during/after their UpBs can do that as well. Was this intentional?
I don't think that's really a flaw since you can do that normally.

DarkISDA

Smash Lord
This is a really cool video. Could you explain more? Or is it simply a horizontal wavedash using Z? I tried it last night but couldn't get it to work properly. (It was about the same distance as L/R)
You have to press your Jump button and Z almost at the same time, like if you want to JC grab in melee.

Iamthemovie

Smash Journeyman
Well, it's not a flaw exactly but doesn't it seem a bit unfair that some characters are able to UpB and Airdodge for recovery?

Oh yeah, WD + taunt= awesome

Iamthemovie

Smash Journeyman
Not continuously but they will be able to airdodge upwards for additional recovery options which, I think, is unfair.

Cerozero

Smash Apprentice
Not continuously but they will be able to airdodge upwards for additional recovery options which, I think, is unfair.
You don't go that far with an airdodge its about 3/4 of on of battlefield's platforms which amounts to nothing. If you need the recovery that badly it won't help since you can't grab the edge until .8 seconds after the end of the animation. Oh, and while we're at it lets also slam jigglypuff because of the extra distance her pound gives her in midair.

Iamthemovie

Smash Journeyman
Well I'm just going by Melee's mechanics. You're normally not allowed to airdodge after executing an UpB.

Phantom Wings fixed the glitch where Samus can continuously Zair after Airdodging, what's wrong with removing airdodging after UpB? If it's intentional, I can understand, but I'm just saying that if Phantom Wings did not notice this. If he chooses to fix it, cool, if not, whatever, it's still cool.

B.W.

Smash Champion
Well if the up-b didn't cause the helpless state then it'd be the same as attacking after up-b.

I know you're thinking Melee physics, but no matter what you do this is still going to be Brawl in some sense.

People being able to attack after up-b will also be able to air dodge after up-b. People that can't attack after up-b will not be able to air dodge after up-b.

Cerozero

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, that's why I said, normally. We're bound to have some exceptions here.
And just like what Project-5 said, I guess we're bound to have some exceptions for this airdodging after upb in brawl as well.
What can you say some characters have really good recovery.

Phantom Wings

Smash Apprentice
Does anyone here know of the restrictions for L-Canceling? I've had a code for it up and running perfectly with the exception that I feel it works too well - all you need to do is hold R(while doing an attack) to stop all delay from landing. Was there any specific timing or anything like that required?

Iamthemovie

Smash Journeyman
I'm not entirely sure but I heard something like
10 frames (1/6 second) to press L/R to L-cancel. But I'm not so sure, maybe that's for Teching...
And you can't constantly press L/R to attempt to L-cancel, your attempt to L-cancel refreshes after 30 frames at the time you pressed L/R.

4Serial

Smash Lord
You're doing L-Canceling? omg you're a ****ing beast.
You L-cancel before you land from an aerial. I believe it's 10 frames before you land. Works with L, R and Z.
You can't hold it and it'll work, you have to time it.

Also, it removed half of the aerial attack's landing lag in Melee. Removed all of it in Smash64..

Revven

FrankerZ
Does anyone here know of the restrictions for L-Canceling? I've had a code for it up and running perfectly with the exception that I feel it works too well - all you need to do is hold R(while doing an attack) to stop all delay from landing. Was there any specific timing or anything like that required?
Wait, by hold, do you mean literally hold or just pressing? In Melee, all you had to do was press it, not hold it. The cancel also removed a certain amount of frames from the landing lag (not ALL of the lag). It was timed though.

Edit: 4Serial beat me to it.

Wind Owl

Smash Lord
OMG so it works like Z-cancelling right now (it removes all lag)? That is ****ing amazing.

Anyway:
L-Canceling (LC): This is a tactic to reduce the recovery time of air attacks. Right before you hit the ground, if you're in the middle of an air attack, press L (or R, or even Z) to decrease the recovery time. There are 7 frames during which an attack can be L-canceled. You must press L/R/Z in the 6 frames before hitting the ground or the very frame during which your character hits the ground. The result is that the lag of the air attack will be cut in half. Practice with Link’s Dair or Bowser’s Bair to see the full effects.

Heavyarms2050

Smash Ace
i strongly believe its half

SmashBro99

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4957-2747-2945
Ew I can't believe so many people are still trying to make brawl melee 2.0.

**** kids and their hacking devices.

lrn2brawl.

AquaTech

We hit the potjack
LOL, I'm sorry, I don't mean any offense, but that looks like a quote from 5 years ago :laugh:
I'm not talking about wavedashing in Melee, I'm talking about this warped version in Brawl. In Melee it added to the gameplay. At least in the videos I've seen SO FAR, it isn't helping anyone. They are just uncontrollably slipping around and using it very ineffectively. If people can master it then yes, it's a good tool. This isn't Melee, and that isn't legal anyway.

Iamthemovie

Smash Journeyman
Oh yeah, about the airdodge code. You can still airdodge after you're bomb jumping as Samus
Here:
1. Lay bomb in air
2. Immediately press L/R/Z to airdodge
3. You get hit by bomb and you're allowed to repeat steps 1 &2

Nothing too game breaking but it's just for reference.

Wind Owl

Smash Lord
Ew I can't believe so many people are still trying to make brawl melee 2.0.

**** kids and their hacking devices.

lrn2brawl.
**** kids and their trolling.
I'm not talking about wavedashing in Melee, I'm talking about this warped version in Brawl. In Melee it added to the gameplay. At least in the videos I've seen SO FAR, it isn't helping anyone. They are just uncontrollably slipping around and using it very ineffectively. If people can master it then yes, it's a good tool. This isn't Melee, and that isn't legal anyway.
Yeah, I know, I just thought it was ironic and amusing.
Oh yeah, about the airdodge code. You can still airdodge after you're bomb jumping as Samus
Here:
1. Lay bomb in air
2. Immediately press L/R/Z to airdodge
3. You get hit by bomb and you're allowed to repeat steps 1 &2

Nothing too game breaking but it's just for reference.
Oh sweet, so Samus got (a new form of) her bomb jump back?

Heavyarms2050

Smash Ace
Oh sweet, so Samus got (a new form of) her bomb jump back?
not really new, a popular technique my bro likes to pull off sometimes airdodge, plasma wipe the oppenent to stun his opponent, the bomb would cancel his zair animation enough to follow up with a down air.

misterbee180

Smash Apprentice
The way i see all of this, the addition of hitstun will just brawlify this game even more... by which i mean noobify. Part of brawls, somewhat appeal, is the fact that every noob will react the exact same way to every attack situation and because of this you can win regardless of who you pick to play against them.

Hitstun is great in melee because the game is fast and so fast reactions are required to use the hitstun alotted. However, brawl is slower, and floatier as many have pointed out. Wavedashing makes the game 1000 times more fluent, so thank you for that, but if you also put in hitstun then you create a game that is slow and also doesn't allow you to react fast, at all, thus, in my view, screwing this game over even more!

no stale moves would be nice, and l canceling would be even better, but hitstun would really make this game SLOW... and no one wants it to be any slower! Leave brawl as a "read you like a book" game and improve on this nature rather than force the game to become a slower melee.

Iamthemovie

Smash Journeyman
Eh, it's not really helpful. It's the same thing as regular bomb jumping except you alternate between laying bombs and airdodging. The height gain is the same but you risk a chance of falling to your death since if you miss the bomb jump, you're not gonna be able to do anything afterwards.

IM_A_HUSTLA

Smash Journeyman
the code has been ready, do u read????? look on the first page

and with this code all u have to do is the rising zair and recovery is no problem for samus, and by rising zair i mean press L/R then Z almost at the same time like wavedashing and u will rise and grapple and if u do it right samus can return infinitely and go as high as u want her to then fall forever

Canadian*Sniper

Smash Cadet
It IS helping anyone. **** son learn to wavedash mindgame, space, and use stationary attacks while moving left/right. This opens a huge window of opportunity for any fighter in brawl.

In Melee you just had to press down while dashing to cancel it and use a stationary attack. But in brawl we don't have that so instead there's the wavedash alternative. ZOMG look groundbreaking fun >.>

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=CL_yZ1YSnsw

the code has been ready, do u read????? look on the first page
He could have meant the lcanceling code. >.>

Heavyarms2050

Smash Ace
The way i see all of this, the addition of hitstun will just brawlify this game even more... by which i mean noobify. Part of brawls, somewhat appeal, is the fact that every noob will react the exact same way to every attack situation and because of this you can win regardless of who you pick to play against them.

Hitstun is great in melee because the game is fast and so fast reactions are required to use the hitstun alotted. However, brawl is slower, and floatier as many have pointed out. Wavedashing makes the game 1000 times more fluent, so thank you for that, but if you also put in hitstun then you create a game that is slow and also doesn't allow you to react fast, at all, thus, in my view, screwing this game over even more!

no stale moves would be nice, and l canceling would be even better, but hitstun would really make this game SLOW... and no one wants it to be any slower! Leave brawl as a "read you like a book" game and improve on this nature rather than force the game to become a slower melee.
well then, maybe we have to speed the game wont we. God i love hackers

thesage

Smash Hero
3DS FC
4957-3743-1481
Edit: this post is about l-canceling.

In melee it cut half the lag. I believe it was rounded down if the lag had an odd number of frames. Anything with 4 or less frames of lag couldn't be l-canceled. The lowest lag an aerial could have l-canceled was 4.

Specials could not be l-canceled.

Honestly l-canceling isn't going to change much. Most characters already have really lagless attacks. The fact that you can airdodge immediately needs to be changed.

The only reason I like brawl is that the characters are more balanced (besides MK) but the physics just screws up the game.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE program double jump canceling. In melee only Peach, Ness, Yoshi, and Mewtwo could do it. All of those characters had double jumps that made them go downwards initially before going up. The characters with this in brawl are Ness, Lucas, Yoshi, and Peach. There might be more though.

B.W.

Smash Champion

You say it'd make the game slow, but just because it would be slow wouldn't mean it's a boring. It sucks not being able to chain attacks together.

Look at SSB64. You had the hitstun in there, and that game wasn't what most would call fast. But being able to do combos still made it fun.

Xebenkeck

Smash Lord
Guys as much as i m a fan of this i have to ,doesn't this present a s-load more problems in terms of balance.
I mean MK would be sickly broken(especially if as some said make a l-canceling hack)
Yoshi loses his invunrable recovery, as does ness and lucas(airdodge duering momentum of 2 jump)
Chaingrabs could become even more rampant.
Luigi almost becomes godly because he attack from pretty close to any position.(even worse with his godly fsmash)
Shiek, charizard, ivysaur can't wavedash, and peach is limited.
Peach's vunerable stance only shows after using her parasole, so doesn't that mean if she airdodges she can open her umbrella?
Diddy's bananas become totally imbalanced
Not really important but this would totally destroy the computers because they always airdodge after being hit
These are ones that come to mind but im sure there would be alot more problems

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom