• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[WA] Perth Smash Thread

Bsrk_

Smash Ace
Nice way to generalise everyone in the scene_ Do not question some people's honour_ I take offense to your comment Pete and believe you to be too critical and opinionated on people within the scene when you yourself are not without your own substantial flaws_

Pete278

Smash Lord
Really? You're criticizing me about having honour in video games? Come on man, there's a point where it becomes obvious I hit a nerve and you're just jumping down my throat for anything.

MTGod

Smash Champion
EDIT: At Jesse, the unviable characters I'm talking about are pretty much unsalvageable in their current states, and attempts to save them would weaken the competitive nature of the game. For instance, there's nothing in the game that could let Zelda win a national, and trying to bend the rules to let her so would be futile. Thus, the best course of action for variety would be to increase the stage list without neutralizing the low tiers that are viable, which the stages that I'm in favour of don't do. For instance, Green Greens, being a bad stage for MK, allows alot of low tier characters to actually counterpick against MK, as opposed to before we're they'd be forced to go to a stage which was easily in MK's favour.
Don't sweet-talk me into thinking that you did this for the benefit of lower tiers :p I know why you did it and am largely okay with it (as I've said before testing and experimentation paves the way for progress, after all :p)... I was stating that you can't make decisions while actively disregarding a chunk of the cast... In doing that, you're adding to denying someone the right to play their own game which will affect tournament turnouts...

So, to summarise so that my point isn't missed, hooray for experimentation, but if you're going to experiment do so logically (which is why I'm glad that there are no definitively banned stages on that list of yours :p)

Marteh

Smash Lord
NNID
Marteh
Hey guys, as Marty has told you all im having a goodbye gathering in fremantle, 7pm at Little creatures then we will hit up newport till late, all of you are welcomed to come itd be awesome to see you all before I head off, if not all the best guys.
What are you doing man, stealing my birthday plans from a week ago. Heres a hint though, if you show 1hr 30 late like I did.. People get pissed.

Marteh when is Tails leaving_?
Friday I believe

MTGod

Smash Champion
Little Creatures is AWESOME!!!! **** I really wanna go now........ Stupid work........ STUPID NECESSITY TO EARN MONEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

****!!!!!!!!!!

Muzga

Smash Ace
If you're trying new things for the sake of checking to see if certain ideas are balanced why dont you try the 9 stage striking list pete.
^Not a troll.

Technodeath

Smash Champion
since I doubt anyone here has the guts to abuse it and be punched in the gut by Techno
QFT.

do it and i'll cockpunch you as well as in the guts.

ON TOPIC - i dont see anything wrong with what Pete's going for, it's just experimental. if it doesnt work, we wont use it. jesus

Vlade

Social Outcast
I can now function

PS: Would KILL to play as Metaknight with hanenbow legal ^_^ I honestly don't really care about stages anymore lol if you don't like a stage just prove it's broken and make everyone change their minds.

Bsrk_

Smash Ace
I fail to see how you hit a nerve Pete_ You'll know when you really hit that nerve ;) You were the one criticizing everyone else not me criticizing you remember_ Now i just know you're trying to troll me_ It's your choice, but you're lucky Vlade isn't here to prove your stage choices wrong_ I would like to see someone do as Vlade mentioned, just to further strengthen the argument against previously banned stages_ That's about all the argument you'll get out of me though_ It's your tournament and i am merely stating my disagreement towards your list alongside the urge to keep a uniformed stage list for ALL tournaments held_

Fist bump Muzga_ WTF is with SB lately zzz_

Vlade find me awsome cosplay shops so i can order stuff asap_

Muzga

Smash Ace
*BUNP*
Good stuff bob!
Needs less drama guys.
Honestly where has all the perth love gone.
</3

Sieg

Smash Champion
You can punch my **** if you want.

You can hold it aswell.

It's there for the taking.

Be warned though that it can take a dumbell to it and not hurt. So you're gonna need some dumbell weighted fists to do much lol.

Pete278

Smash Lord
I would like to point out that all of Trav's tournaments had a different stage list, and therefore the idea of keeping the stage list uniform is fairly moot at this point, especially since that stage list is going to be Trav's in the future.

If you want a stage gone, prove its broken via gameplay in tournament matches, don't just theorycraft about it. What may seem broken in theory may be fine in practice, and vice-versa.

Technodeath

Smash Champion
You can punch my **** if you want.

You can hold it aswell.

It's there for the taking.

Be warned though that it can take a dumbell to it and not hurt. So you're gonna need some dumbell weighted fists to do much lol.
i'll take you up on that offer :)

except i dont think Amy will like it very much

luke_atyeo

Smash Hero
If you want a stage gone, prove its broken via gameplay in tournament matches, don't just theorycraft about it. What may seem broken in theory may be fine in practice, and vice-versa.
testing something out is fine, and I wont argue further, but I have 2 years experiance all over the country and in america and I can tell you that I havnt been theorycrafting in the least (theorycrafting is ****ing gay), I'm willing to bet though, that some of your arguements have been backed up by theory and not experiance.

also, do I get 2 **** punches for being extra special?

Vlade

Social Outcast
testing something out is fine, and I wont argue further, but I have 2 years experiance all over the country and in america and I can tell you that I havnt been theorycrafting in the least (theorycrafting is ****ing gay), I'm willing to bet though, that some of your arguements have been backed up by theory and not experiance.

also, do I get 2 **** punches for being extra special?
ALL over the country? I think you're yet to visit the largest state of the nation! :D

MTGod

Smash Champion
All or most of the people attending your tournament Pete will probably stray away from proving stages broken, as since only 3 players from the current PRs will be there the glimmer of hope will be in us all, and thus testing out gimmicks will become secondary to the chance of winning a tournament :p

I want Lucas to go up in the rankings more than I want to prove broken stages, so get back to me when Kane/Vlade/Sam/Ric/Glenn are back in tournaments :p

(Not saying that this is a bad thing, it's just a prediction that'll probably work against what we've all been discussing, making the last two nights of furious debate pointless xD I love redundancy!!!)

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Incoming mass multi-quoting!

Sorry Pete but your list is unacceptable_ I fail to see why it is necessary to allow stages that have otherwise been banned in previous tournaments for obvious reasons_ Keeping a set list of stages across te board is a much more prefferable choice for tournaments otherwise you cause confusion and unecessary debate over something that has oterwise been accepted by the community_
Except that

a) The stages have NOT been 'mass tested'. There's a good number of stages that people banned because "it's gay" and not looked back. There's a small number of states in the US that have had some rather interesting stage lists (port town as legal) for ages, not just one-offs.

It's just now that the SBR is looking at a real deep discussion about the whole issue, starting with the 9 starters reccomendation.

b) The community is biased. Not really referring to us here, since we do have a varied character representation, but over where it's mostly the top two tiers that see's any use. It's no wonder that they all want to keep the flat stages that their characters excel at, rather than balance things out. Plus, the "it's gay" mentality comes in here too.

I can understand your choice to attempt making oter stages viable but those stages have been banned for a reason and going into this discussion again is futile_ The starters here once a problem which has found a comfortable solution, now leading to an overall agreeable stage selection list which is deemed as fairer and much more viable than previous iterations_
True. Just don't expect that stage reviews have stopped there.

Hey guys, just dropping in to say hello to Caotic and Micky
*Waves* :D

that is a good idea, and I can apprciate the thought behind it, however the counter argument of course, is that that idea has been tried out the world over and they've all come to the same conclusion more or less.
Again, they haven't. Or more accurately, they have, but are wrong. Probably borderline in saying this, but in the stage discussions going on, the people who vote stages should be legal usually provide great reasoning, while the pro-ban people usually just vote and don't actually argue/debate points. This of course varies depending on people and stages, but there's a number of poeple who vote without explaining any reasoning why.

yoshi's island (pipes) has never been borderling though, green greens promotes heavy camping and the explosive blocks (and normal ones that you can hit and survive where you would normally have died) are a level of unpredictable luck that adds too much random chance to matches, the apples are the same, but to less of an extent, port town aero dive is too disruptive, again the cars and stage changing (wrong place at the wrong time can easily get you killed) add too much random chance. luigi's mansion has a whole page full of unfair tactics and advantages, although if not abused its not really that bad of a stage, norfair same thing
As someone mentioned already, pipes has indeed been borderline.

It's hard to argue that Green Greens promotes camping when Brawl is a game that promotes it. People generally camp the sides, which can backfire badly (hanging around near short blast zones is not a great idea) and the center is safer. Platforms/blocks to avoid people on the corners spamming projectiles, not to mention the tree gives projectiles/health to the center area too. Plus, it's a stage that's not particularly great for Meta (sorry andre!) Also, "random" blocks falling? There's a specific small area they fall. Don't go in the specific small area where they fall.

Port town I agree with, not a fan at all. But I'm not going to complain as it's unlikely anyone will actually choose it. I'm more of the ban than legal side, but I'll be honest: I've barely touched it. If those couple of states in the US have been using it for as long as they have, guess it's worth a shot (though don't see it making it to be honest)

Luigi's mansion I've never really been to, so can't say too much.

Thats an extremely bad way to go about things.

Seriously.
Honestly, I'm all for trying to play as lame and broken on the stages as possible. People claim that all sorts of things can be abused in such horrible ways. Yet there's not actually any video evidence to support their claims at all. If the stage really is broken, play and show how bad it is. Either the stage IS horrible and is then banned, or people find a way to deal with the supposedly broken technique. Win-win.

If you're trying new things for the sake of checking to see if certain ideas are balanced why dont you try the 9 stage striking list pete.
^Not a troll.
Seconded. I'd love to try it. :)

I can now function

PS: Would KILL to play as Metaknight with hanenbow legal ^_^ I honestly don't really care about stages anymore lol if you don't like a stage just prove it's broken and make everyone change their minds.
<3 Vlade.

I'll be sending 30 bucks to your account tomorrow for Steelix. If there's anything left over afterwards, buy me something "cool" with what's left. (Preferably not anime based)

the urge to keep a uniformed stage list for ALL tournaments held_
When stages still are being debated? I think that's a bit foolish really. I don't think we even had a uniformed list in Melee.

All or most of the people attending your tournament Pete will probably stray away from proving stages broken, as since only 3 players from the current PRs will be there the glimmer of hope will be in us all, and thus testing out gimmicks will become secondary to the chance of winning a tournament :p
Sadly, true. Perhaps we should hold a tournament with the only CP's available are the debatable stages? (Obviously not one that a lot of cash is up for)

GIANT WALL OF QUOTES COMPLETE

MTGod

Smash Champion
:O

Mic's quote-wall > Jesse's quote-wall... My life is ruined T.T

But if a stage is broken, then shouldn't you win more easily on it?
I meant a person choosing a character that's not their best just to abuse the stage, like Falco on Japes, Bowser/Yoshi on Pipes, D3 on Bridge, etc whatevs... I don't actually know many of the gimmicky or cheap tactics of the stages that've been added, but you people have told me they do and if you say otherwise then you've all been lying to me :p

Honestly, I'm all for trying to play as lame and broken on the stages as possible. People claim that all sorts of things can be abused in such horrible ways. Yet there's not actually any video evidence to support their claims at all. If the stage really is broken, play and show how bad it is. Either the stage IS horrible and is then banned, or people find a way to deal with the supposedly broken technique. Win-win.
That's not what Shaya was referring to, Mic - he was referring to Pete including a stage for the sole purpose so that Andy can play Samus against you (being you, Mic)... Pete came across as if that was the only reason he's adding Bow...

Sadly, true. Perhaps we should hold a tournament with the only CP's available are the debatable stages? (Obviously not one that a lot of cash is up for)
Well, there's three days of fest, I'm sure at some point during those three days some testing would be accomplished, no??? Just because it's not in a tournament setting, does that really mean a match can't be competitive even if it proves a broken tactic (as long as the match is actually a match, and not vs CPU or vs stationary person and such)???

Pete278

Smash Lord
I didn't -intend- on it sound like that was the only reason I added Bow, it was meant to just be a joke after all. :p

EDIT: The statement was a joke, not the adding (for testing purposes) of Bow.

Trillest

Smash Ace
bow is banned not even in counter/banned tbh Im pretty sure you did just add it for the sole reason of making andy play samus. I base this off all the points you have stated about testing counter stages viability

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
That's not what Shaya was referring to, Mic - he was referring to Pete including a stage for the sole purpose so that Andy can play Samus against you (being you, Mic)... Pete came across as if that was the only reason he's adding Bow...
Ah.

Bow is banned in singles because of running away issues, the awesome thing about perth is that I can't think of anyone who would actually do so anyway.

Well, there's three days of fest, I'm sure at some point during those three days some testing would be accomplished, no??? Just because it's not in a tournament setting, does that really mean a match can't be competitive even if it proves a broken tactic (as long as the match is actually a match, and not vs CPU or vs stationary person and such)???
True ^^

Pete278

Smash Lord
Its close enough to Counter/Banned for me to want to test it, and, as Mic said, nobody here would actually circle camp for long enough to properly abuse the stage.

Technodeath

Smash Champion
as usual, people willing to go out of their way to be arseholes and get rid of stages.

good ****.

leaving to perth in like an hour.

EDIT: number is 0447096406 if anything changes..

dont care about my number being here

MTGod

Smash Champion
Bow is banned in singles because of running away issues, the awesome thing about perth is that I can't think of anyone who would actually do so anyway.
Its close enough to Counter/Banned for me to want to test it, and, as Mic said, nobody here would actually circle camp for long enough to properly abuse the stage.
as usual, people willing to go out of their way to be arseholes and get rid of stages.
But unfortunately we've now been forced into a situation where we have to employ that tactic in order to prove it exists and can be abused... It's either be nice and play properly which will lead to keeping stages that will be abused by OoS/OoC players, or be a right prick for the good of the scene... *sigh*

Trillest

Smash Ace
Banned

Hanenbow (0-5-16)
Mario Circuit (0-5-19)
Onett (0-3-14)
Corneria (0-3-15)
Big Blue (0-3-17)
75m (2-2-24)
Green Hill Zone (0-3-19)
New Pork City (2-1-20)
Rumble Falls (0-3-21)
Shadow Moses Island (1-1-20)
Summit (0-2-20)
Mario Bros. (2-0-22)
Flat Zone 2 (1-1-22)
Bridge of Eldin (0-2-25)
WarioWare Inc. (0-2-33)
Spear Pillar (1-0-31)
Skyworld (0-0-16)
Temple (0-0-16)
Mushroomy Kingdom 1-1 (0-0-19)
Mushroomy Kingdom 1-2 (0-0-21)

According to that logic new pork city and 75m sould def be starters and it looks pretty banned to me

Hmm Can i really get a free pass to prickville :D

Top Bottom